PDA

View Full Version : Helloooooooooo!!!

mscwilson
28-04-2012, 11:19
Hi.

I recently had a "visit" from the First Post Police, who informed me that I was violating the code of common decency, by not introducing myself before posting. :doh:

I was summarily "sentenced" to ten minutes (or so) of hard typing, in order to appease my peers, and hopefully show that I am a changed person, and ready to take my place in the community once more.

Now, where to start?

My name is Simon, I live in the North East of Englandand.

I've been interested in all things (mostl types) hi-fi for over thirty years now.

I have an insatiable appetite for buying, selling, swapping, renovating, refurbishing and anything else that ends in "ing" that could be hi-fi related.

My main system is based around a home..... cinema..... setup....:wah:, though this is not what it seems.

I've simply done done this due to space, and the lack of a dedicated music room.

The good news is that I've not lost the "bug", and I do everything I can make the most of my interest.

I've built my own speakers, and I modify my cd players (sometimes), of which I have a Sony CDP-555ESD, a Creek CD60, B&O CDX, Philips CD104 and a Cambridge Audio CD3 to name a few.

I regularly buy and sell cd players, and spare parts, mostly broken so that I can fix them.

Having said that, I'm not an electronics expert or anything like that. I have simply "picked up" all I know over the years, and know enough to get most cd players (that's my thing) up and running again, though I'm not some cowboy who just does it for a quick profit.

Most things I get, I actually use, and only sell when I can't afford the next thing, or if I have too much "stuff" lying around.

Anyway, I hope I've "paid my dues", but if you'd like to know something else, then please feel free to message me.

Best regards,
Si.

vouk
28-04-2012, 11:31
Hi Simon and welcome to AOS.

Lived in Durham for c. 7 years and had the time of my life; is the place as beautiful as I remember it? I sure as hell miss it...

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2012, 11:55
Hi Simon,
Welcome to The Art of Sound!
Thanks for doing the intro thing. However, you haven't quite paid your debt to society yet! You need to tell your parole officer about your taste in music.

Cheers

MartinT
28-04-2012, 12:56
Hi Simon and welcome to AoS. Thanks for coming quietly ;)

mscwilson
30-04-2012, 12:14
O0ps again.

I'm not usually this bad.....honest.

Anyway, music taste....well I don't actually have a favourite style, more like a favourite "sound".

I'll explain. I listen to all sorts of different styles, from classical to rock to trance, whatever I feel liek at a given time.

When I sit down and do the serious listening, I go put the hum-drum recordings away, and get the good stuff out.

I'm not talking audiohphile, HD or SACD quality, just recordings that have a certain "clarity" and dynamacism (is that a word?).

I've found that most recordings tend to be a bit "normal" and don't get my attention, but sometimes I stumble upon something that makes me think "Hmmmm.....I'll just listen to that again", all the way to a simple triumphant "Iiiii.... LIKE IT!!!".

Here's a couple of names that have had "tunes" out that have this.

Dead Can Dance, Brian Eno, Massive attack, Dvorak (don't laugh, I'm doing this on the fly), Yello and even The Prodigy.

I used to be heavily into dance when I was younger, but being so involved in hifi has taken me from the genre driven, to the "quality" driven, and to be honest, apart from listening to the radio while I work, I don't acually do much propper listening anymore, as I just don't get as much out of it as I used to.

I'm now simply driven by the hifi itself, which is a shame really.

By the way vouk, I love it up here in the North too, but beautiful is not where I'm at... :wah:

Cheers guys.

Reid Malenfant
30-04-2012, 15:43
Hi Simon, a warm welcome to the forum from me as well :) I can see precisely where you are coming from with your listening & the more dynamic stuff, only yesterday evening I span a CD I haven't played for years & was blown away by the sound & image being produced :eyebrows:

As it happens it was also more dance orientated, though normally I'm found in the chillout room :D

Bests to you & I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Spectral Morn
01-05-2012, 11:45
Welcome to AOS