PDA

View Full Version : Wassup bro ...

masterdavid
28-04-2012, 05:27
Hi.

Born in Taiwan, Grew up in New Zealand, now living in Melbourne, and now found my way onto this forum which I believe is UK based ... :)

Hope I don't break any rules here ... :P

Best regards, David

wiicrackpot
28-04-2012, 07:51
Chest bounce David !!

Born in Hong Kong, emigrated here in Glasgow 72 and where i've been ever since,
not as glamorous as Aus or New Zealand but wouldn't be anywhere else in the world.

Yes U.K. based forum...welcome and N'joy. :)

wii.

jostber
28-04-2012, 14:28
Welcome to the forum! What's your hifi setup in Melbourne?

Reid Malenfant
28-04-2012, 16:50
Hi David, a warm welcome to AoS from me as well :)

Hope I don't break any rules here ... :P
Ah, but you already have as you haven't filled us in on your kit or musical tastes :eyebrows:

Just messing, I hope you enjoy your stay here :D

The Grand Wazoo
28-04-2012, 23:13
Hi David,
Welcome to AoS from me too/

Darren
29-04-2012, 07:46
...... But breaking the rules is the best fun around here..... You get spanked! :)
Welcome mate.

masterdavid
30-04-2012, 10:36
...... But breaking the rules is the best fun around here..... You get spanked! :)
Welcome mate.

LOL ...I enjoy a spanking at times LOL - ahhaha ... depends who from though ;)

masterdavid
30-04-2012, 10:41
Hi David, a warm welcome to AoS from me as well :)

Ah, but you already have as you haven't filled us in on your kit or musical tastes :eyebrows:

Just messing, I hope you enjoy your stay here :D

Hehehe ... My musical tastes are quite simple ... female vocals, simple acoustics, piano, strings, tribal ... some male vocals are quite special also ...

Not a fan of brass instruments typically :scratch:

My setup will take some time to spell out ... it's quite modest ;)

Regards,
David

masterdavid
05-05-2012, 08:06
This bug must have bit me at the age of 15 or so when I was still at college ... this was in NZ. Dad told me about some old school tube stuff that he had come across in his days. He could not afford it at the time, and had a close friend working at Philips. He ended up buying an integrated TA6000 receiver and a matching Philips TT, and speakers which used Philips drivers, but were not Philips made. Philips made was too too expensive at the time.

So I started flicking through piles of HIFI Choice magazines and came across all sorts of things ... and then my first encouter was Linn ... Linn's philosophy is that the source is most important ... and I followed this. I was introduced to some amazing music (other than radio pop) that were recorded like no other. At that time, it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard!!

So I was enjoying these better recorded CD's on the basic Philips system that I ended up inheriting. (I still have this today - hooked up to the PC, so you you can hear the sound effects when you click the mouse lol ...) Following Linn's philosophy, I found an awesome CD player and DAC - CAL Audio Aria mk III tube output CD player and CAL Audio Sigma DAC. The Sigma sounded better than the onboard DAC on the player and I got my first taste of what tubes can do with the music. Keep in mind, I was already getting improvements from better recorded CD's ;) I then picked up a pair of B&W DM6 speakers, and some EAR 509mkII mono's - all purchased used, but at bargain prices and all were in very good condition. I needed a preamp ... I bought the very modest Audio Research LS7, and when the preamp, amps, and speakers came together, it was mind blowing. My first TT was a Mission 775 ... it was fantastic. I then FINALLY got a Linn LP12, and it was a dream come true at the time ... This was pretty much my first stereo system.

As things evolved, I found out about the low output SE 300B tube ... and my first 300B amps were the Cary 300B mono amps. I ended up bi-amping my DM6's with these driving the mid and the high. I then found Audion Golden Night 300B amps ... and I ended tri-amping my DM6's with the Audion on the high, the Cary on the mids, and the EAR's on the bass. My preamp then got upgraded to the TRL GTRP Platinum line stage. This preamp is 100kgs! It has 18 tubes in the PS, and 6 tubes in the preamp itself. And lots of huge caps! CD player then got replaced with a Wadia 861. And the Linn LP12 ended up getting replaced with a Lenco L75 in massive plinth. Arm was the SME 3012 R ... and cartridge at the time was a ZYX Airy 3. Phono stage was the modest Cary PH301mkII. It was very very nice. The preamp has undergone many upgrades and is still today in use.

As my passion and disease got deeper and deeper, I needed a better phono ... and ended up with the Audio Note Japan M7 phono and eventually got the KSL Sfz transformer. My SME 3012R got replaced with a DaVinci Grandezza. The already amazing the Airy 3 was then replaced with the ZYX Universe. The combination of the arm, the cartridge, the SUT, and the phono was phenomenal.

My speakers today are Ocellia Calliope 30's, which allow me to take advantage of the low power 300B amps. The Cary's were shortly replaced by a DIY amp that just sounded so much smoother. My triamped system has become just single amp ... cheaper, and better sounding ;) .... My vinyl chain also improved also ... the ZYX Universe was replaced with the DaVinci Audio cartridge, and the phono is DaVinci Audio too. Their phono has an additional LCR-RIAA driver stage which I have also ... so essentially, I have the full DaVinci front end vinyl for front end ...

So, my system today consists of Lenco L75 with DV arm, DV cartridge, DV Phono + LCR-RIAA, Wadia 861, TRL Platinum preamp, DIY 300B mono amps, Ocellia Calliope 30 speaker. My other TT still to come is a Garrard 301 which I have been building and working on for at least 4 years! Time flies ...

Though having said that, I still possess my DM6 speakers, my Cary 300B amps, and the EAR 509 mkII amps, and my SME 3012R arm, and my Audio Note Japan M7 phono, and my Kondo KSL SFz SUT. I cannot afford to keep all this ... too much money sitting on the shelf!!!!! Anyone interested, PM me LOL ... gotta make a sale somehow :D

My musical tastes include female vocals, female vocals, simple acoustics, female vocals, ethnic tribal stuff ... very very nice ... modern jazzes ... and female vocals :lol:

OMG, that was long to write ... and I have not told you about the details! And I'm not going to .... :) ...

Over and out!

Regards,
David