PDA

View Full Version : Old Music or New Music

Gmanuk101
25-04-2012, 07:21
Now having been a member of this excellent community since late 2011 (aaahhhh those were the days) I have seen quite a few posts mentioning both old music and some for new music.

Old music I would consider probably (please don't shoot me down for this) pre 1977.

New music I would consider anything after that. Of course I concede this is open to debate and accept old can mean anything released last week but for this sense you have to draw a line somewhere.

So old or new or both? Why listen to one?

Personally I try to go for new stuff, experimental, electronica, or just whatever takes my fancy but of course I am a massive Zappa and Beefheart fan both of which are dead so bangs goes my theory.

realysm42
25-04-2012, 07:25
I like music, if it's good; I don't care how old or new it is.

Rare Bird
25-04-2012, 09:49
Ah dinnae ken their was anything that resembled music aftur '73 tbh :lol:

Macca
25-04-2012, 12:45
Old music for me but would probably extend the definition of old to anything pre 1991. That is more than twenty years ago after all. Don't own much stuff recorded after that date and hardly anything post 1999. All the really good music was done between '67 and '74 IMO fortunately there is a lot to go at from those times, plenty still to discover.

trio leo
25-04-2012, 13:12
Martin you're speaking my language, 60s 70s and 80s were my best times for music, being a teenager in the 60s was magical and I still play music from the past with fond memories, but I do like and buy quite a bit of the modern stuff (on vinyl of course).
It's particularly nice if one hears someone else's system because they always play something you haven't heard before.
Recently I heard Stevie Ray Vaughn, previously unknown to me, but it was very interesting so he's on the list.

regards Al

Werner Berghofer
25-04-2012, 15:13
Graeme,

So old or new or both?

what does it matter, as long as you like it?

Why listen to one?

Because it makes you feel better while listening, it creates pleasant images in your head, it makes you want to dance?

“Old” and “new” are very relative concepts. People always believe the “best” music was performed/recorded at the time when they were young. The contemporary stuff prefered by the young generation always has been considered inferior by the older. And for the young folks it always has been very important to have their own music which is different from the music their parents listen to.

Werner.

bobbasrah
25-04-2012, 15:40
And let's not assume that the "old" music or bands are not continuing, aided by zimmers or otherwise... Never a fan of Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger, or for that matter Dylan or Cohen, but the old farts are still going...

The gusher that was the 50's through 70's floated a great deal of talented musicians and new musical directions, some of whom survived beyond the conveyor belt pop culture even to this day.... Their music has changed in some cases and so have they, but their talented heritage remains, and influences beyond the "old" period to the present day.....
There are a lot of talented musicians out there, old and young, and it is probably more accessible than at any period in history....

Tim
25-04-2012, 17:36
Surely 'new' music is anything you haven't heard before? ;)

RichB
25-04-2012, 18:19
whatever my endless trawlings through that well know action site drops through my letterbox... you just never know.

synsei
25-04-2012, 18:41
Not bothered when just as long as it is good and I like it. I'm rather fond of the '80's though... :cool:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2012, 18:48
Not bothered when just as long as it is good and I like it.
My thoughts precisely :) I have music from old classical to 2012 releases, though I guess my more modern music starts in the 60s somewhere...

As long as I like it, I don't care how old it is :cool: Variety is the spice of life :eyebrows:

morris_minor
25-04-2012, 19:24
Is this old enough?

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/83/11/04a051c88da014fe66cfe110.L._AA300_.jpg

Pete The Cat
25-04-2012, 19:35
To the original question if there was some sort of BC/AD division between old and new music then you'd be looking for a landmark event, so '76/'77 seems the strongest contender this side of 1955 to me.

Pete

synsei
25-04-2012, 20:03
Anything pre Stock, Aitken & Waterman and anything post Stock, Aitken and Waterman. The period in between has been lopped out of existence by the Time Lords to protect the universe from throttling itself... :D

Sonority
25-04-2012, 20:24
Graeme,

what does it matter, as long as you like it?

People always believe the “best” music was performed/recorded at the time when they were young. The contemporary stuff prefered by the young generation always has been considered inferior by the older. And for the young folks it always has been very important to have their own music which is different from the music their parents listen to.

Werner.

Sorry, cannot agree here - far to wide a brush.
I love a lot from the 70's (some from the 60's and a fair bit from 1 - 200 years ago) but there is a ton of amazingly good music available at present and still being made as well. Not difficult to find with a little digging.

Ever heard of Steve Wilson for instance?

Werner Berghofer
25-04-2012, 20:46
Stephen,

there is a ton of amazingly good music available at present and still being made as well

where did I say the opposite? One of my favourite albums, “Hello cruel world” by Gretchen Peters, has been released in 2012.

Werner.

colinB
25-04-2012, 21:57
Love old and new though i find new music i buy tends to be American with very little European.

Audioman
25-04-2012, 23:39
Anything pre Stock, Aitken & Waterman and anything post Stock, Aitken and Waterman. The period in between has been lopped out of existence by the Time Lords to protect the universe from throttling itself... :D

:lol: I should be so lucky. Lucky Lucky Lucky !

Sonority
26-04-2012, 07:12
Stephen,

where did I say the opposite? One of my favourite albums, “Hello cruel world” by Gretchen Peters, has been released in 2012.

Werner.

Maybe a misunderstanding on my part but :-
"People always believe the “best” music was performed/recorded at the time when they were young".

I was young a fairly long time ago now?

Just trying to point out that even us oldies like a lot of music made today as well :) Some of it is currently on my best list too. Maybe it's just me but I do not consider music made today to be inferior at all and only liked by the younger generation. An awful lot of rubbish was available in the 60 - 70 -80's as well.

Like I said - the statement made is just too all encompassing.

Werner Berghofer
26-04-2012, 08:34
Stephen,

Just trying to point out that even us oldies like a lot of music made today as well :)

now I understand, and with my last reply I just wanted to emphasize exactly the statement I quoted above. Of course there are exceptions from the rule, and maybe you and me are part of these exceptions, but when reading music related threads on this and other forums I often get the impression that for most contributors “good” music stopped to exist somewhere at the end of the 1970’s.

Werner.

Sonority
26-04-2012, 09:44
Stephen,

now I understand, and with my last reply I just wanted to emphasize exactly the statement I quoted above. Of course there are exceptions from the rule, and maybe you and me are part of these exceptions, but when reading music related threads on this and other forums I often get the impression that for most contributors “good” music stopped to exist somewhere at the end of the 1970’s.

Werner.

Werner,
You are correct and we both sing from the same hymn sheet as it were.
I was discussing this very fact only last week with a good friend that comes up here for a music session every month.
This time around we didn't go back in time more than 5/10 years, and we had a great time. No better or worse than if we went back to when we went to Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Blue Oyster Cult etc etc gigs together.
I think a very large part of the 'problem' today is that while music is very easy to get at via iTunes et al - there is actually way too much available for us to listen to, and we end up skimming the surface or going for 'safe' bands that we already know.
I get at least two recommendations per day from my supplier of electronica, and usually end up purchasing 3/4 per month from them. That is JUST electronic music.
I find the best way to pick up new tunes is visiting friends or at the occasional show.

Cheers.
steve

Sonority
26-04-2012, 09:51
Being perverse, isn't it odd just how much brilliant 'new' music is mastered / recorded so badly it renders it un-listenable to, yet there seems to be a fair bit of reasonably recorded stuff that just isn't "your bag"?

Does anyone else have a copy of Touch by Yello - the special edition with 6 extra tracks along with a DVD?

Those 6 extra tracks should be the minimum standard for recording / mastering / dynamic range that is worked to these days.
We would all end up buying way more if so.

synsei
26-04-2012, 11:44
I'm with you on this Stephen. Adele is an excellent example, I love her music but her albums are unlistenable... :rolleyes:

Werner Berghofer
26-04-2012, 12:01
Steve,

I find the best way to pick up new tunes is visiting friends or at the occasional show.

this is very, very true! Consider yourself a happy man if you have friends which also are interested in music and if you live in a place where it’s possible to occasionally visit a gig.

Werner.

Audioman
26-04-2012, 16:25
I'm with you on this Stephen. Adele is an excellent example, I love her music but her albums are unlistenable... :rolleyes:

Get 'em on vinyl !

Werner Berghofer
26-04-2012, 16:35
Paul,

Get 'em on vinyl !

playing music someone doesn’t like using archaic methods of sound reproduction makes it more bearable? ;-)

Werner.

synsei
26-04-2012, 17:15
I do like her music Werner but the CD masters are dire. The vinyl masters are toned right down though so the suggestion makes sense... ;)

dantheman91
26-04-2012, 18:01
Hi

Early 30's / 40's blues.

Early 50's . 60's rock 'n' roll.

60's prog rock . pop . soul . motown .

70's and 80's. pop / disco . funk . jazz . classical .

80's hair metal

Early 90's indie . pop . grunge

Bit of country not much.

Anything really that draws me in. i few mordern day tracks not many. i think im stuck if the last centry

c'mon guys get yer wigs out for hair metal :hotrod: :rock: :guitar:

Audioman
26-04-2012, 18:12
Paul,

playing music someone doesn’t like using archaic methods of sound reproduction makes it more bearable? ;-)

Werner.

Werner.

A lot of modern music that is brickwalled for CD release is available with a much better vinyl mastering. Result I always buy a vinyl copy if it is available. Invariably with the more popular stuff the CD is unlistenable. You just have to keep turning the volume down to protect your ears and all the life is sucked out of it. Dynamic range is absent.

Paul.

Werner Berghofer
26-04-2012, 18:23
Paul,

Invariably with the more popular stuff the CD is unlistenable.

I’m pretty sure you’re right, but luckily nearly all of the music I like and listen to usually is recorded and mastered confirming to very high standards. There’s few mainstream stuff in my collection.

Werner.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2012, 18:30
<snip> but luckily nearly all of the music I like and listen to usually is recorded and mastered confirming to very high standards. There's few mainstream stuff in my collection.

Werner.
Like Werner there is next to nothing in the way of modern pap (yes I said pap but meant pop :eyebrows:) music in my collection, so while I can empathise with all those people that buy modern pap music, I'm not subjected to any loudness wars here.

I guess I'm kind of imagining that these modern CDs that the loudness wars are all about are similar in some respects to the Radio 1 broadcasts I used to listen to that featured (on everything) the dreaded Optimod :steam:

Audioman
26-04-2012, 19:52
I'm surprised some of you CD buyers haven't come across the loudness wars stuff. There are constant complaints of classic rock remasters and jazz releases suffering from the same treatment. I'm willing to believe it hasn't had much affect on classical music but even the better CD's are cut at a higher level than 15 to 20 years ago giving less flexibility with volume adjustment.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2012, 19:56
Ah, well I don't listen to rock, classic rock or jazz ;)

Yes I'm more than happy backing you up with your remark that modern CDs tend to use more of those 16 bits than they used to, but with what I generally listen to there is no compression that I can hear. Just a nice wide dynamic range.

synsei
26-04-2012, 20:23
When it comes to the Loudness Wars, the producers blame the artists and the artists blame the producers. Meanwhile the AR man is having a quiet chuckle to himself as he puffs on a sneaky fag by the back door... :eyebrows:

WOStantonCS100
27-04-2012, 07:44
1976 is somewhat of a marker for me. That's the year Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior came out.

I often don't feel that music has gotten any better than that which was around in the 70's in almost all genres, such as they're labeled. I'm not saying nothing else good has come along since then; but, I honestly question whether music has gotten any better. JUST MY OPINION, though... By the 70's we already had a ton of great...

Classical
Jazz
Blues
Rock
Funk
Folk
R&B, etc. etc. etc.

If I had to toss everything I have, released after 1979, I'd still have more than enough music to keep me going and I'd still be a very happy man.