PDA

View Full Version : Tonearms

northwest
24-04-2012, 19:20
well, will the forum be able to stand the excitement? First off we do Turntables, then I just couldn't resist - Tonearms!! Woo Hooo!! Almost like real Hi-Fi!
So, assuming we (me) has decided on a nice shiny (well, may need a bit of TLC) new turntable. I now need a tonearm. I was thinking, in the interest of expedience and economy, maybe taking the RB250 I have and using that.
The downside of this though is it reduces a working turntable to a non working garage ornament.
I was wondering, what is a good tonearm, at a reasonable cost. £500+ tonearms need not apply! Not bothered whether or not it is a fixed headshell or not as I am not going to play mix n match with cartridges either.

Marco
24-04-2012, 19:24
Well, let's rewind a minute first... Which turntable have you decided to get? Once I know that, I'll be in a better position to recommend a suitable tonearm! ;)

Marco.

northwest
24-04-2012, 19:44
Well, let's rewind a minute first... Which turntable have you decided to get? Once I know that, I'll be in a better position to recommend a suitable tonearm! ;)

Marco.

Well, If i told you that it wouldn't be any fun would it?

:lol:

Marco
24-04-2012, 19:55
Lol - yes, but it could well influence my recommendation for a tonearm, so spill the beans! :)

Marco.

MCRU
24-04-2012, 20:12
Whatever it is putting an RB250 on will kill it stone dead...:lol:

Marco
24-04-2012, 20:26
Maybes aye, maybes no... :eyebrows:

Marco.

MCRU
24-04-2012, 20:28
he can't have bought a techie surely?

graham, bring it round to mine when you collect your IEC plug?

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2012, 21:05
I would be extremely interested in one of these (http://bestawards.co.nz/entries/product/category/consumer/the-wand-tonearm/) if I were in your position.

MCRU
24-04-2012, 21:07
I would be extremely interested in one of these (http://bestawards.co.nz/entries/product/category/consumer/the-wand-tonearm/) if I were in your position.

Thumbs up from me too, I e-mailed the guy 3 days ago to enquire about the arm, there is a demo one in the UK that I am trying to track down saves shipping one from New Zealand to try, unless TGW is using it?

Marco
24-04-2012, 21:10
Good call, Chris - I admire your lateral thinking! ;)

Marco.

northwest
24-04-2012, 21:17

£325 or thereabouts, very interesting:

http://www.gumboot.com/cgi-bin/ezshop/shop/2052?category=19&categorygo.x=1

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2012, 21:26
Aye well, and I'm not even a pretty face y'know!

.......unless TGW is using it?
No, not me, but I'd love to give one a whirl. They do a Technics armboard, I understand Marco!

chelsea
24-04-2012, 21:59
What an ugly looking arm.

Marco
24-04-2012, 22:02
Lol - it just shows how tastes vary... I think it looks great! :D

But then, I've always preferred designs with audio equipment which are a little 'off the wall' from the norm...

Marco.

Jac Hawk
24-04-2012, 22:04
i'm with you Stu, looks like it was made in my grandads shed

northwest
25-04-2012, 06:46
The turntable I need an arm for is a Lenco 75. I am not sure what to do here but two factors have an influence 1) I am in no rush 2) I have a turntable that works right now
So I can take my time and I will be able to audition the turntable anyway as it has a tone arm fitted.

Marco
25-04-2012, 06:58
Well, here's a thought... Have you sold your P2 yet? If not, why not take the RB250 off of it, and pop it onto your Lenco? That would:

A) Provide a major upgrade on the Lenco's stock arm.

B) Cost you bugger all (other than a new armboard).

C) Give you loads of time to explore other options, whilst in the meantime enjoying some rather nice sounds.

:)

Marco.

Tea24
25-04-2012, 09:39
Why not try a Jelco 750? I have one on my GL75 with a Shure M97xE, now fitted with a Jico stylus. Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Beobloke
25-04-2012, 12:30
Thumbs up from me too, I e-mailed the guy 3 days ago to enquire about the arm, there is a demo one in the UK that I am trying to track down saves shipping one from New Zealand to try, unless TGW is using it?

Then look no more - it's in my understairs "important audio stuff" cupboard!

Simon emailed me this morning asking if I was still using it as he had someone interested in it. Luckily I took it off the turntable I was using it on before we moved house two weeks ago and it's still boxed up, so if he gives me the go-ahead I'll get it to you.

audio39
25-04-2012, 12:48
I purchased the audiomods arm late last year and could not be happier...and Jeff was great to deal with.

For reference, I also needed a custom sleeve and collar made for my table, Jeff made them for next to nothing and sent them along with the arm - I mention this because I'm familiar with your table and you may find the need to have a piece or two custom fitted.

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

Rick.

tim_bissell
25-04-2012, 14:56
Helius (www.heliusdesigns.co.uk) make nice arms too; you can track down an old one and get it serviced by them, or the Scorpio 4 might (just) be in your price range...

-- Tim

northwest
28-04-2012, 19:42
Well, here we are. I have a Lenco 75 turntable, brought home safe and sound from Brisatol - Thanks Nick - and I have decided on an arm - thanks Dominic and Natalie - So, anyone have an SME 3009? That's the decision, a 3009
I might consider another arm, but it is unlikely. I do not need a cartridge.
Thanks everyone for all the help so far.

Beechwoods
28-04-2012, 20:59
:hifive: Glad it made it back ok. Really hope you enjoy getting it going - It sounds like you have some serious plans for a fantastic turntable!

Dominic Harper
28-04-2012, 21:16
:hifive: Glad it made it back ok. Really hope you enjoy getting it going - It sounds like you have some serious plans for a fantastic turntable!

Here Here! I think you have made a very good choice with that lenco, I have heard a number here and I tell you, just normal stock lenco's are not bad. Well you know how I feel about the classic SME Graham, brilliant arm and great value for money.

Natalie;)

audio39
29-04-2012, 00:34
Well, here we are. I have a Lenco 75 turntable, brought home safe and sound from Brisatol - Thanks Nick - and I have decided on an arm - thanks Dominic and Natalie - So, anyone have an SME 3009? That's the decision, a 3009
I might consider another arm, but it is unlikely. I do not need a cartridge.
Thanks everyone for all the help so far.

Great arm, good decision...enjoy.

Now have a beer!! :cool:

northwest
05-05-2012, 11:28
Well, the arm has arrived. I spotted an SME 3009 on ebay - yes, I know there are lots - but I managed to get this one at an affordable price. It is in good shape and the Mk II "improved" version. Not my first choice actually but there you go, I would have liked a Mk I as the counterweight configuration is "better". I wouldn't know, I take advice on these matters.
So, I now have a Goldring G800 rebuilt and re-tipped by Dominic in it's box, A Lenco 75 being dismantled by myself so I can refinish the chassis and make some blanking plugs for the holes I am about to leave when I remove the tonearm and associated gubbins.
I am taking the turntable and rotating it 90 degrees and mounting the tonearm to the right in essentially a position which would be at the top edge of the turntable looking at it in it's stock configuration.

Right now, as things stand, my Rega Planar II sounds miles better than the Lenco in it's stock configuration. That's because the Rega is well sorted and is well integrated into my system. The Lenco has been dragged half way around the country, has crap interconnects fitted and the stock arm with a very tired cartridge. This is not just my feeling but Martin came 'round my house on Monday and he can confirm this (sorry about the Dog Bite Martin, you'll live. He just doesn't like any invaders:lol: ).

I am still thinking about the actual Plinth construction and I am not too sure as to where to go with this, Slate/MDF, Granite/MDF, Marine Birch Ply, just all MDF or a veneered finish. I am going to think about it. No matter what, I am going to need a spacer for the arm so I have some Lignum Vitae earmarked for that and it should look good. And work!

Macca
05-05-2012, 11:50

Right now, as things stand, my Rega Planar II sounds miles better than the Lenco in it's stock configuration. That's because the Rega is well sorted and is well integrated into my system. The Lenco has been dragged half way around the country, has crap interconnects fitted and the stock arm with a very tired cartridge. This is not just my feeling but Martin came 'round my house on Monday and he can confirm this (sorry about the Dog Bite Martin, you'll live. He just doesn't like any invaders:lol: ).

!

:lol: I've had worse - next time I'll bite him back :eyebrows:

Tis true re the Lenco and it wasn't hard to spot the diference between the 2 decks and the carts we tried through those ESL 57s even if they are 'broken' at the mo. Although a big part of the difference was down to the Shure N55 on the Lenco being just a bit too dull, and of course the shit interconnects. The retipped G800 was very 'hi-fi' impressive though.

Beechwoods
05-05-2012, 12:07
That Shure N55 is very lo-fi - it's got a stylus like a spade!

I would love to hear the retipped Goldring. It would need something better than the stock Lenco arm though!

Sounds like its coming together Graham!

northwest
05-05-2012, 12:14
:lol: I've had worse - next time I'll bite him back :eyebrows:

Tis true re the Lenco and it wasn't hard to spot the diference between the 2 decks and the carts we tried through those ESL 57s even if they are 'broken' at the mo. Although a big part of the difference was down to the Shure M45 on the Lenco being just a bit too dull, and of course the shit interconnects. The retipped G800 was very 'hi-fi' impressive though.

Thing is, like I said, he is starting to cost me money now in compo to the various postmen:lol:

Yes, the G800 is back in it's box ready for the next stage of my build. I am thinking about (ONLY thinking mind) a phono stage. I think the best bet is if I build my own. I am going to ask Dom which design he used in his as it was pretty impressive.

Yes Nick. Cartridge is definately a "starter" model:) can't complain though as it was just the thing to get the deck tried out and see if it had gained any nocks or bumps on it's way home. It hadn't so i'm happy just to press on.

DSJR
05-05-2012, 12:52
Johnnie (Audio Origami) can re-wire the lenco arm I now understand. get it done and the Desmo V blocks fitted, sort the headshell wires and I can practically guarantee the L75 arm will at least equal if not out-perform an SME series 2 on mid price cartridges, even if the latter looks better.....