PDA

View Full Version : Jelco 750 for Techie

indus
21-04-2012, 12:24
Hi there

I'm looking to do the next stage of my tech mods which will be psu and tonearm.

The Jelco 750 seems to be well liked and is in the right price bracket for me. I've read many many pages of info about it on the internet but am still confused about a few things

1) Does it fit the Tech without further modification, in other words do I have to change anything else to the deck except a new armboard?

2) How do you change the vta on this arm?

3) Are there carts that are popularly used with the tech that this arm won't work with?

4) Is there anything else I need to budget for if I bought this arm other than arm board and tonearm cable?

Many thanks:)

Marco
21-04-2012, 12:45
Hi David,

I'm pleased to see that things are progressing on the modification front. Could I just confirm that you've got an Achromat and Isonoe feet (or some other feet) for your T/T? I can't remember what happened on that front.

The Jelco is an excellent choice of tonearm, considering what you're going to be doing.

1) Does it fit the Tech without further modification, in other words do I have to change anything else to the deck except a new armboard?

It's a Linn-type fitting, so all you'll need is a new armboard. I believe that David, from Mains Cables R US, stocks both the tonearm itself and an appropriate aluminium armboard.

Don't forget that you'll also need a decent tonearm cable, as the Jelco doesn't come with one. I'd recommend the one Johnnie sells, from Audio Origami. See his 'External Cable' here, for £60:

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/AO_Rewires/DSCF1474.jpg Main website here: http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/AO_Rewires/AORewires.htm

At the price, there's simply nothing better.

2) How do you change the vta on this arm?

Via the use of the supplied allen key, which simply adjusts a small grub screw in the arm's collar, thus allowing you to move the arm pillar up and down, and finally lock it in the chosen position.

3) Are there carts that are popularly used with the tech that this arm won't work with?

No, but it works best with low-compliance cartridges, such as the Denon DL-103, which also given your taste in music and the type of sound you're after, is what I'd recommend. It's a superb combo, both of which are pretty much made for each other.

4) Is there anything else I need to budget for if I bought this arm other than arm board and tonearm cable?

Just one small thing. If you're going to use a DL-103, it's best if you have a little more mass on the headshell than the Sumiko supplies as standard, to allow the cartridge to perform optimally. I used one of these VPI headshell weights/spacers, with great success (which simply fits between the top of the cartridge and the headshell, secured in position with the existing allen bolts):

http://www.analogueseduction.net/product/VPI_Stainless_Steel_3g_Headshell_Weight_VPI-SSHW

It also gives you that bit more flexibility, in terms of VTA adjustment, and will produce a fantastic sound with the DL-103.

Marco.

alex_san78
21-04-2012, 13:19
Nothing to ad more. Except maybe one thing... Take a look on the collar that is designed for Jelco 750 - it's a must. Much better than the standard one.

Marco
21-04-2012, 13:22
Indeed, Alexey. I'd thought of Shuggie's collar, but I was trying to minimise the cost for David, as the Jelco may not be his 'tonearm for life' :)

Marco.

indus
21-04-2012, 13:40
Thanks guys

Marco the minor mods I've done so far are

1) Funk Firm Achromat

2) Isonoe feet (toying with getting the glass boots but haven't taken the plunge yet)

3) Lid removed

4) Sumiko headshell/at440 cart

You know what? It actually sounds quite nice even though I've never managed to get the arm parallel using the at440

You've mentioned the Denon a few times so you must think highly of it but do you mean the DL 103 or DL 103R?

Alexey, thanks. I thought I read shuggey wasn't making anymore of these collars?

Marco
21-04-2012, 14:27
Hi David,

Marco the minor mods I've done so far are

1) Funk Firm Achromat

2) Isonoe feet (toying with getting the glass boots but haven't taken the plunge yet)

3) Lid removed

4) Sumiko headshell/at440 cart

You know what? It actually sounds quite nice even though I've never managed to get the arm parallel using the at440

Nice one - trust me, there's plenty more fun to come yet! :eyebrows:

You've mentioned the Denon a few times so you must think highly of it but do you mean the DL 103 or DL 103R?

I do think highly of it, but more importantly, I'm confident it'll be exactly what you need. As for 103 or 103R, it depends how much you want to spend. The 103R is even better.

I thought I read shuggey wasn't making anymore of these collars?

I think he can still get them. Maybe send him a PM? :)

Marco.

alex_san78
21-04-2012, 16:31
Alexey, thanks. I thought I read shuggey wasn't making anymore of these collars?

They will be available but in the end of the year.
Here's Hugo post about the collars:

Sorry to disappoint anyone but all the collars are sold now, and I will not be able to get any more made until the end of the year when I return from my 'travels'.

Good luck!

rusty bearing
21-04-2012, 16:56
Johny's phono to phono lead is £60.00. The detachable is £120.00 unless I've read it wrong which I'm quite prepared to believe. Doesn't the Jelco require the latter?

Marco
21-04-2012, 17:49
Hi Mike,

Nope, it's the "Cardas Gold connector and modified Gold phonos" which make the stock 'External Cable' £120, compared to its otherwise £60. Read it again and I'm sure you'll agree :)

Marco.

indus
21-04-2012, 18:02
Thanks guys. I've just bought a second hand one for what I think is a reasonable price:cool:

See Marco, I don't always takes ages to make a decision:lol:

So now I just need an armboard and tonearm cable:)

I have another stupid question though. When you use one of these after market tone arm cables does the cable plug straight into the phono pre? Do the stock phono cables attached to the Tech become redundant?

Thanks

alex_san78
21-04-2012, 18:32
I have another stupid question though. When you use one of these after market tone arm cables does the cable plug straight into the phono pre? Do the stock phono cables attached to the Tech become redundant?

Thanks

:) After removing the standard tonearm, you will remove it with the phono cable. So the new one will need the one Marco has shown to you. :)

P.S. So what was the price? ;)

Marco
21-04-2012, 18:33
See Marco, I don't always takes ages to make a decision:lol:

About time that you got yer arse in gear! :eyebrows:

So now I just need an armboard and tonearm cable...

Buy Johnnie's tonearm cable, for £60, and an armboard from here (they're very good). Scroll down to the bottom, for one for the Jelco:

http://www.soundsupports.com/page16.htm

Job done! :)

The stock Technics tonearm cable is captive, and crap, unless belonging to the more 'upmarket' models of the SL-1210, which had decent cables supplied as standard.

You would simply remove the whole tonearm, with the cable, and keep them together, should you wish to sell them later. The new tonearm cable simply plugs into the DIN socket on the underneath of the Jelco :cool:

Marco.

indus
21-04-2012, 19:06
Thanks Alexey, now I understand how the phono cables are wired up in the deck.

I paid £240 and the item is a year old and comes with the box, paperwork etc. The cheapest one I could find brand new on ebay was £370 + postage. The £130 I've saved will cover the cost of the armboard, phono cables and quite a few records.

Thanks Marco, I'm glad that those standard cables will go as a result of the arm upgrade. I'm not fanatical about cables but seeing those horrible cheap standard wires in my system made me feel queasy!

Thanks for the link to the armboard, that's cheaper than the one I was looking at so I've saved another few quid:)

kininigin
26-04-2012, 17:54
Holding off on a new tonearm didn't last too long then! ;) :lol:

indus
26-04-2012, 21:11
Holding off on a new tonearm didn't last too long then! ;) :lol:

Depends how you define 'long'

:doh:

:lol:

kininigin
28-04-2012, 10:19
So have you got it up and running yet?

alex_san78
28-04-2012, 17:03
Where's the report??? :)

synsei
28-04-2012, 18:48
:popcorn:
:thumbsup:

indus
28-04-2012, 22:01
The arm arrived a few days ago. Looks pristine and also a very well engineered piece of kit.

I haven't installed it yet as my diy skills are non existent. Hopefully the Vantage boys are paying me a visit in the next few weeks to fit a psu and modified bearing. The plan was to get them to fit the arm at the same time.

Marco
28-04-2012, 22:13
Nice one. Have you sorted a cartridge out yet? :)

Btw, for a bit of fun, I fitted a Stanton 500AL to my T/T, on Wednesday. It was rather interesting listening to a £20 cartridge on a £2100 tonearm...! ;)

Marco.

indus
29-04-2012, 06:27
No haven't sorted out the new cart yet. Quite a few changes are going to take place on the the same day ie, tonearm, tonearm cable, psu and bearing. I thought I'd stick with the AT 440 for a few weeks after that to make some sense of them all and then think about a final cart.

I take it the Stanton sounded better than all your other carts and so they'll be in the classifieds at a bargain price?;)

Cheers:)

Marco
29-04-2012, 09:37
Not quite, but it sounded bloody good (as indeed it did on Dom Harper's Garrard 401/SME3012), which just goes to show how much more important it is getting everything else properly sorted on a T/T, first, before things like cartridges, as the 'lowliest' of cartridges can often sound surprisingly good on the end of a top-notch arm and motor unit...

Source first! ;)

No haven't sorted out the new cart yet. Quite a few changes are going to take place on the the same day ie, tonearm, tonearm cable, psu and bearing. I thought I'd stick with the AT 440 for a few weeks after that to make some sense of them all and then think about a final cart.

Good idea! :)

Marco.

dunbar
27-07-2012, 09:48
Hi,
I want to buy a second hand Jelco arm for my 1210 but it comes without a cable. So I was wondering if I should buy a phono lead with a straight or an angled tonearm connector for this combo. Any suggestions?

I found a guy not far from where I live who sells good quality din-rca cables at seriously low prices so I could ask him to make one for me. After reading so many nice things about the phono lead by Audio Origami (which I believe is a Van Damme) I think I will go for the balanced Van Damme option for around £45.

Marco
27-07-2012, 10:17
Hi Kostas,

Johnny's cable is excellent, so for the money, I'd personally look no further :)

Marco.

dunbar
27-07-2012, 10:36
Hi Marco,
Thank you. I know that you discussed Johnny's cable earlier, but I checked again his website and the DIN-RCA cable is £120. £60 is only for the external lead that requires to be soldered onto the tonearm wires or on a PCB. The silver and ofc copper cocktail cable is the Van Damme cable, or am I wrong? If this is the case it believe I will be much better off having it made locally for a third of the price.
Do you know I should go for a straight or an angled connector?

indus
07-05-2013, 16:59
I can't believe it's taken me this much time in getting around to fitting the Jelco arm:)

I'm thinking about giving this a go myself, could somebody kindly confirm a few things for me?

1) In changing the arm no soldering or desoldering is required?

2) On the Audio origami site which of the two cables do I need? Is it the one for £60 or as Dunbar above mentions the one for £120?

Many thanks

kininigin
07-05-2013, 18:12
I can't believe it's taken me this much time in getting around to fitting the Jelco arm:)

I'm thinking about giving this a go myself, could somebody kindly confirm a few things for me?

1) In changing the arm no soldering or desoldering is required?

2) On the Audio origami site which of the two cables do I need? Is it the one for £60 or as Dunbar above mentions the one for £120?

Many thanks

There is no soldering involved,i assume you have an arm plate for the jelco?

You would need the one for £120 if you don't want to solder a phono din plug on yourself,which i'm guessing is something you don't want to do!

Hope this helps :)

indus
08-05-2013, 06:57
There is no soldering involved,i assume you have an arm plate for the jelco?

You would need the one for £120 if you don't want to solder a phono din plug on yourself,which i'm guessing is something you don't want to do!

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Darren, you are correct I don't want to do any soldering! I see you also have the Jelco paired with the pricier Oyaide cable, any reason why you picked this one? (apart from the fact that it looks sexy:))

Did you fit the arm yourself and did you run into any problems?

I don't have the arm plate yet but was going to order one from here

http://www.soundsupports.com/userimages/procart22.htm

Canetoad
08-05-2013, 09:41
Hi David,

I have one of these spare if you are interested?

PM me if you are. :)

indus
08-05-2013, 10:07
Hi David,

I have one of these spare if you are interested?

PM me if you are. :)

Hi

What do you have spare, the cable or armboard? If cable which one?

Many thanks

Ammonite Audio
08-05-2013, 12:00
I would be tempted to go for this armboard - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jelco-SA-750D-SA-250-Armboard-Plate-Technics-SL-1200-1210-MK2-MK3-MK4-MK5-M5G-/161009821945?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257ceee8f9 .

Thanks Darren, you are correct I don't want to do any soldering! I see you also have the Jelco paired with the pricier Oyaide cable, any reason why you picked this one? (apart from the fact that it looks sexy:))

Canetoad
08-05-2013, 12:32
Sound Supports armboard. I have a 1210 and ended up replacing it with one that was anodised black. Looks better with the black deck.

Only flaw is a scratch from the Dremel where I enlarged the opening to fit a Shuggie collar. :doh:

It's yours for £20 posted if you are interested.

kininigin
08-05-2013, 12:34

When i first got the jelco arm,i needed a tonearm cable! I didn't have much money after buying the arm,so just needed a budget cable.I think it was Shuggie that sold me a jelco cable for a reasonable price.

This was a stop gap really,it was ok,but could be bettered.I had all Mark grant cabling at the time,so asked him if he could make something up with his G100HD cables.It turned out to be a bit tricky to get a decent din plug that would take the cables i seem to remember.

I was offered the Oyaide at this point at a price i couldn't say no to,especially after selling the jelco cable! I would never pay the full asking price for the oyaide though! My limit is about £100 when it come to cables and even then i think twice about it! Seems like a good combo with the jelco to me! Pretty neutral and even handed,with a good amount of detail.

Yes i fitted the arm myself.I don't remember running into problems.I have taken the Technics apart alot of times though doing various mods,so was pretty comfortable with it..You just need to take your time and if you have any issues just ask on here :)

indus
08-05-2013, 13:06
Thanks.

Hugo, that armboard is more expensive than the sound supports one. Is it better in anyway? I'm happy to pay the extra if there is a reason.

Thanks Bernie I'll bear that in mind but need a black one myself actually. So do all the armboards need to be 'hacked' to accept the shuggie collar?

Thanks Darren, I think the AO one at £120 is about the right price for me

kininigin
08-05-2013, 13:10
Thanks.

I was going to go for this one myself as well,but only had about £50 so went for the jelco cable that was offered.The AO is meant to be very good!

Ammonite Audio
08-05-2013, 18:17
The Greek armboard seems to be better designed so that the central section can be sunk low enough so that VTA is not a problem. If you look at the Sound Supports board, the collar grubscrew will be obscured if the central plate is lowered - that's not a problem with the Greek one. Also, the Greek board will accommodate my improved Jelco collar, which the Sound Supports board won't, without a bit of surgery to open up the central part.

Thanks.

Hugo, that armboard is more expensive than the sound supports one. Is it better in anyway? I'm happy to pay the extra if there is a reason.

Thanks Bernie I'll bear that in mind but need a black one myself actually. So do all the armboards need to be 'hacked' to accept the shuggie collar?

kininigin
08-05-2013, 18:40
The Greek armboard seems to be better designed so that the central section can be sunk low enough so that VTA is not a problem. If you look at the Sound Supports board, the collar grubscrew will be obscured if the central plate is lowered - that's not a problem with the Greek one. Also, the Greek board will accommodate my improved Jelco collar, which the Sound Supports board won't, without a bit of surgery to open up the central part.

+1 This is the armboard i use for my jelco.

indus
08-05-2013, 19:12

Many thanks. That's plenty of good reasons to buy the Greek one, especially not having to mess around with it to accept your collar.

:)