04-01-2009, 06:30
Yes.

Stan

Beechwoods
04-01-2009, 07:57
Welcome to AOS. Glad you found us!

trailer
04-01-2009, 12:45
How is the beta testing coming along Stan?

StanleyB
04-01-2009, 13:09
Beta testing is long completed. We are in the final stretch:eyebrows:.

Covenant
04-01-2009, 13:17
You have to admit Stan, we have all been very good not pestering you.
Are you now in a position to reveal final details and when we can order/price etc?:please:

StanleyB
04-01-2009, 13:57
Soon.... Just keep £200 handy, but I promise to return any change left... My aim is £175 delivered to anywhere on the planet.

Stan

leo
04-01-2009, 14:02
Their an impatient lot Stan;)

Hope your going to show us some pics, us sad B******s get off with nice pics:eyebrows:

kreacherx
04-01-2009, 14:26
just got my mac connected to the itube 182 sounds good! but a bit sibilant!? after talking to stan on the phone a few days ago (a very approachable guy!) i was convinced to get the DAC. should i wait for the new one? or get the old guy?? BTW the sibilance is dissapearing with time.... forgot about valve warm up!!

StanleyB
04-01-2009, 16:37
What I can say is that if you got an outstanding preamp or intend to drive a power amp directly from the DAC, then the new one would be the ideal candidate. If you need USB performance, or a headphone amp that can match an equivalent £200 headphone amp in its own right, then again the new unit would be up your street. But if none of the above applies to you, then the TC-7510 is more than adequate.
The biggest problem I found was that many preamps are inferior sounding as a preamp when compared to the new DAC. So running the DAC through a half decent preamp is not going to offer you much improvements. It is hard to explain properly, without physically trying out what I just described. It's one of those things that makes people say it is impossible, until you hear it for yourself.

Peter Stockwell
04-01-2009, 17:39
I'd like to think my Naim 282 is up to the task ?

theone999
04-01-2009, 18:05
Welcome to AOS. Glad you found us!

Thanks. So by the replies, I guess this is the forum where the DAC maker resides :lolsign:

What I personally need a USB DAC for is to output music from my laptop to an active subwoofer through to a pair of active studio monitors via RCA. The headphone amp which is mentioned would be a bonus point for usage with my custom IEM as the 3.5mm jack on laptop is full of electrical noise.

So when is it going to be out? IMO anyway this 7510+ will be against the CA Dacmagic and MF V-Dac in the price range <£200.

Subwoofer's in a box on floor, speakers coming very soon, need to decide on a DAC! So I am kinda impatient :gig: (<- very cool smiley)

StanleyB
04-01-2009, 18:42
So when is it going to be out? IMO anyway this 7510+ will be against the CA Dacmagic and MF V-Dac in the price range <£200.

I don't compete on price. The DM and MF are sold through distributors and retailers. I sell direct. If DM or MF sold their DACs direct, mine would be more expensive.
But add to that the fact that there is no other DAC below £500 that can accept 4 inputs and allow you to switch between those 4 inputs at the touch of a button. Plus mine is the only UK DAC below £500 that has a headphone amp and two analogue outputs.

Stan

theone999
04-01-2009, 19:15
I don't compete on price. The DM and MF are sold through distributors and retailers. I sell direct. If DM or MF sold their DACs direct, mine would be more expensive.
But add to that the fact that there is no other DAC below £500 that can accept 4 inputs and allow you to switch between those 4 inputs at the touch of a button. Plus mine is the only UK DAC below £500 that has a headphone amp and two analogue outputs.

Stan

Thanks for the info but I didn't mean to offend :confused:. The £200 figure is basically my personal budget set aside for a DAC after buying everything else.

I definitely have an interest in the upcoming DAC, so any light on how soon is "soon?

StanleyB
04-01-2009, 21:11
Thanks for the info but I didn't mean to offend :confused:. The £200 figure is basically my personal budget set aside for a DAC after buying everything else.

I definitely have an interest in the upcoming DAC, so any light on how soon is "soon?
Offended? Moi? Not at all. I am sure many potential buyers also harbour those thoughts.

I am hoping that I can have the first batch available towards the end of January. Waiting for the product to complete certification for RoHS and CE.

Stan

Filterlab
05-01-2009, 21:53
Shout as soon as you have one available Stan, I'll take one off your hands and run it along side my Apogee. :)

theone999
05-01-2009, 22:44
Cool Stan, I look forward to the end of this month.

A point of clarification when you said "a headphone amp and two analogue outputs." & the "what hi-fi" review of your current 7510

1) Does 2 analogue outputs mean 2 x L/R via RCA
2) I.e. 4 channels running simultaneously?

If I understood that correctly, it means you can output to both 2 x active mains and 1 active subwoofer from DAC without the sub in question having RCA out function. (exciting because it would mean I can change my subwoofer)

3) On the what-hi review, it basically said that there was a volume knob which controls the headphone socket as well as the analogue outputs. Would this be kept on the 7510+?

If I understood that correctly, it means you don't need to control volume exclusively by mouse on the pc or adding a passive volume attenuator/preamp into the chain? (exciting because it's simple and economical)

StanleyB
06-01-2009, 13:37
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

But only the variable output can be adjusted with the volume control..

Filterlab
06-01-2009, 16:18
Good answer Stan!

theone999
06-01-2009, 21:28
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

sounds great stan.

What does "variable output" mean in this context? Sorry if it sounds silly, but I've never had a DAC before and catching up on some terminology.

StanleyB
06-01-2009, 21:39
What does "variable output" mean in this context?
volume controlled. i.e. it goes from zero output to full blast.

Beechwoods
06-01-2009, 21:54

Are all the outputs 'variable output' your comment suggests that some are and some aren't. Or am I thinking too much :)

popol_vuh
06-01-2009, 21:55
What does "variable output" mean in this context?

The dac has two outputs, one is fixed (and bypasses the volume control), and the other is variable (signal goes through the "preamp" - volume control - section).

Beechwoods
06-01-2009, 22:01
Ahh. I figured so. An excellent idea I might add :)

StanleyB
06-01-2009, 22:07
Are all the outputs 'variable output' your comment suggests that some are and some aren't. Or am I thinking too much :)The idea is that you can use the fixed output if you just need the DAC function, or use the variable output if you want to use the DAC as a digital preamp. The last option is a lot more exciting in terms of musical enjoyment. It is so detailed, you can tell differences between several similar instruments in multi layered tracks. Imagine being able to count the number of violins in an orchestra. But then again, the ADC's sumptuous 3D soundstage would give it away as well anyhow.

I have been a bit under the weather and overworked since last week, but hopefully I am well enough very soon. Then I can pass by John's place and let him confirm my findings.

Stan

trailer
06-01-2009, 22:30
DAC flu?

StanleyB
06-01-2009, 22:38
Nope. I am an asthma sufferer, and this kind of weather tends to take its toll on my lungs.

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 11:34
Ahh. I figured so. An excellent idea I might add :)

That feature has enabled me to completely remove a pre-amp from my set-up, I just use the variable output on the DAC and feed directly to the power amp.

Stan, is it ready yet?! :)

StanleyB
07-01-2009, 14:50
Still brewing...

Filterlab
07-01-2009, 19:36
Itching itching! :)

BlueScreenJunky
09-01-2009, 16:12

Stan

Speaking of which : There is NO DAC (that I know of) that allows you to switch between inputs with an IR remote controler, and that's what prevents me from using a DAC, as my girlfriend and I tend to switch between sources quite often.
So... would an IR enabled 7510 be a possibility in the future ? That would definitely make a difference with other DACs

Marco
09-01-2009, 16:20
Hi BSJ,

Welcome to AOS :)

What's you first name and approximate location? We would request that you pop into the 'Welcome' room and introduce yourself and your system to our other members (some system pics would be good too, if you can, to put in our Gallery), adding your first name to your signature, before getting stuck into the main areas of the forum.

Cheers!

Marco.

StanleyB
09-01-2009, 17:12
Fair comment Marco. I shall refrain from posting an answer until we know a bit more about our latest member:).

BlueScreenJunky
09-01-2009, 17:22
Haha, and I (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1803) thought I'd be able to sneak in like that :D

Marco
09-01-2009, 17:27
Hehehehe... ;)

Thanks, Nico, for complying with my simple request. You would be amazed at how many people choose not to take part in this simple process when joining. We feel that it's polite and makes for a friendler atmosphere, something we pride ourselves on here at AOS :)

Marco.

StanleyB
09-01-2009, 18:11
I am experimenting with a DAC circuit for release towards Christmas this year. The interesting features so far are 24/192, auto input detection, and auto standby & wake up.

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 18:32
Remote too?

StanleyB
09-01-2009, 18:44
Nope, which is quite a surprise. If you ever owned or saw a replacement or universal remote control in the 90's or early part of this century with the name Philex on it, then you'll know now that I designed them.
The auto switching will sort out the need for any remote control to change inputs. Unfortunately remote controlled volume pots are rather expensive, and adjusting the volume level digitally affects the playback quality.

BlueScreenJunky
09-01-2009, 19:11
Sounds just great !
The auto switching feature is even better than a remote IMO, I'll wait a little longer before getting a DAC then (it's better for my wallet anyway).

Filterlab
09-01-2009, 20:12
That's what I like about your designs Stan, you put performance well ahead of convenience. I'm looking forward to sampling your forthcoming DAC - but you probably knew that already. :)

pjdowns
10-01-2009, 12:41
This new DAC sounds as thought it could be interesting .... I have also changed my signature Marco :), Paul.

pjdowns
10-01-2009, 12:45
Nope. I am an asthma sufferer, and this kind of weather tends to take its toll on my lungs.

I concur with that comment Stan, I am also a Asthma sufferer, although mildly thankfully and this cold weather has been causing me issues recently.

theone999
13-01-2009, 23:05
Hi BSJ,

Welcome to AOS :)

What's you first name and approximate location? We would request that you pop into the 'Welcome' room and introduce yourself and your system to our other members (some system pics would be good too, if you can, to put in our Gallery), adding your first name to your signature, before getting stuck into the main areas of the forum.

Cheers!

Marco.

I guess I should now post a late introduction to myself as well lol.

And looking forward to the 7510+ later this month. I told a friend about this and he said he could be interested, but he pointed out there's been a lot of revisions to the 7510.

So what's been the general modus operandi, can pl send back the units to be upgraded to the latest rev?

StanleyB
14-01-2009, 00:02
The 7510+ is a different unit and for a different market sector. I am mainly aiming it at the PC users who are limited to just a USB output from their PC, but would like to get the best from their music on their computer. And that includes a headphone output that can do justice to even a set of expensive headphones.

The other potential set of users are those who got a better than decent system and would be able to get that extra bit of detail to come across. Otherwise the TC-7510 is more than good enough to satisfy your needs. On my 'general' system that includes a set of B&W 603 S2 I can't hear enough of a difference to justify using the 7510+ on there. But on my reference system that includes the NS1000M it is an all together different story.
But I am not just writing that to get sales or discourage anyone. There are a few other persons on AoS with more than one audio system set up and who have tested both the DACs side by side and noticed the same results.

Each mod I have come up with has its own band of followers, so it isn't a 'must' to get the latest mod fitted. If you are happy with the sound of the one you got then stick to it. If you can wield a soldering iron, then a few threads list the location of the pdf file on my site where you can download the mod and implement it yourself. You can used the money saved that way to buy some even better components than the ones I use.

Stan

theone999
14-01-2009, 00:55
Your answer reminds me of something Stan, the 7510+ would accept optical in also right? I just kind of assumed optical would be pretty much standard on all DACs with some models having the USB feature.

Also since you've been kind enough to answer the various queries I have made about the 7510+, why you dont' just spill the whole box o beans by listing the full specs?!? cos you know, sometimes later I'll feel the need to know a little bit more, like sampling rates and if they're selectable etc :lolsign: (and how about some pics?)

StanleyB
14-01-2009, 07:27
If you know the TC-7510 specs, then just imagine the 7510+ with one USB input extra and one TOSLINK input less.
Images are not yet available for public viewing, but out of interest and in order to give credit to AoS: the artwork layout for the back and front was designed and amended by numerous members on AoS. I reckon that's a first for any commercial product that part of its looks was decided by a forum.

Stan

theone999
16-01-2009, 01:37
So it doesn't do XLR out then?

I dont' need the feature now, but if I was to change my setup that might be needed.

StanleyB
16-01-2009, 07:25
No XLR. If you it in the future I shall develop an XLR version if there are other folks out there who have a need for XLR as well. I don't wand to add a £50+ output facility that is not of any value to 95% of the intended buyers market. I am after the 'More Bangs for your Bucks' market, not the 'every possible wiring combination and options'.

Stan

theone999
16-01-2009, 23:14
that's absolutely fine. just ordered pair of speakers today, stands and cables later. the DAC will be the final piece.

StanleyB
17-01-2009, 05:52
Based on the latest U$ to £ conversion rate the new DAC will be around £200.

Stan

Ali Tait
17-01-2009, 09:20
Still a bargain Stan.

theone999
18-01-2009, 04:52
Based on the latest U$ to £ conversion rate the new DAC will be around £200.

Stan

£200 inc del is still fine. (Damn the weak £). Got a set date for release yet?

Peter Stockwell
18-01-2009, 09:16
Speaking of which : There is NO DAC (that I know of) that allows you to switch between inputs with an IR remote controler,

Grace m902

StanleyB
19-01-2009, 09:44
Who has the money ready?

Stan

Labarum
19-01-2009, 16:26
Who has the money ready?

Stan

I have.

Then my "old" one will go to the study PC.

My worry is there will be a waiting list!

Labarum
19-01-2009, 16:32
Has anyone experience of Stan's box (old or new) with Quad Electrostatic Loudspeakers?

Covenant
19-01-2009, 20:05
Who has the money ready?

Stan

I think I will wait a month and get it with the new power supply :)

theone999
19-01-2009, 20:29
I think I will wait a month and get it with the new power supply :)

Is this in jest? Can't decide...

Covenant
19-01-2009, 20:49
No not a jest. Stan is developing a new power supply which he thinks will be ready in about a month. Just thought I would get it at the same time as the 7510+

theone999
19-01-2009, 22:19
so time for an upgrade practically within a month if you buy initial stocks? :( With component, refitting and delivery costs that'll add up.

StanleyB
19-01-2009, 22:22
so time for an upgrade practically within a month if you buy initial stocks? :(
Two different DACs for two different markets and pocket depth.

Stan

theone999
20-01-2009, 05:03
Two different DACs for two different markets and pocket depth.

Stan

And the DAC with the new PSU which is not the 7510+ with USB but is just the current 7510?

As far as I'm aware of, there's only 1 current Beresford DAC and 1 upcoming?

StanleyB
20-01-2009, 06:59
As far as I'm aware of, there's only 1 current Beresford DAC and 1 upcoming?
That's it. The new PSU will be sold as an optional extra. I might even make the standard power supply an optional extra. My reasoning is that with so many people getting a different power supply for the DAC, I could save them some money on my power supply if they are not going to use it.
Waste not, want not.

You guys think that is a good idea and way to do it?

STan

Beechwoods
20-01-2009, 07:12
It sounds like a good idea for those familiar with your DAC, but may be a frustration for new customers buying on the basis of the reviews you're getting in the press. It might be good to offer the PSU as standard, but offer a discounted price to those wanting the DAC without the stock PSU.

Covenant
20-01-2009, 08:12
I would definately appreciate being able to buy the 7510+ without the standard supply and with the upgraded supply. Not just to save money but its the sheer waste of a supply which will just end up in the bin.

StanleyB
20-01-2009, 08:19
Well the beta buyers are getting the current PSU or wait till March.
I shall start contacting the beta buyers who have shown interest so they can have their order dispatched some time next week once I have done final QC check on each one before I send them out.

STan

apmusson
20-01-2009, 10:32
Stan,

Making the power supply an optional extra would suit me. I already have a very good power supply.

Ade

Peter314
20-01-2009, 11:35
I would definately appreciate being able to buy the 7510+ without the standard supply and with the upgraded supply. Not just to save money but its the sheer waste of a supply which will just end up in the bin.

+1

I am interested in the 7510 with uprated PSU so would prefer not to pay for the standard supply that would never get used.

Peter Stockwell
20-01-2009, 14:06
I'd prefer to wait for the PSU update, too. That way I can get the new DAC and sell the old DAC complete with a working PSU.

trailer
20-01-2009, 18:31
I think giving the PSU as an option standard/upgraded/none would be a good idea.

I've changed to the Maplin one too.

Labarum
20-01-2009, 19:49
I now have a Maplin power supply on my 6/4. It is better, but not on 13.5 v - the DAC seems to "overblow" and produce too much bass. 12v is good.

I two penneth: Standard package for newbies with standard PSU, option to have upgraded PSu or none.

I guess for the new "plus" the better power supply should be the standard package with the option of the cheaper supply, or none.

I am having a similar discussion here on the Squeezebox Forum where some folk use the Beresford DAC

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=387448#post387448

And this thread also features Stan's DAC

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=384352#post384352

Covenant
20-01-2009, 21:48
I would have thought some comments from the beta testers would be made by now. They are keeping very quiet.
The standard 6/4 version is so good that it concerns me I might not be able to detect a difference with my humble little system. I'm looking around for a new power amp to replace my Tripath, this being a cheap and cheerful component. I want to try the 7510+ as a pre-amp as Stan suggests this is where its strength lies.
Its funny how changing one thing makes you change another.....:mental:

StanleyB
21-01-2009, 00:00
Maybe Jerry might do a write up once he has sorted out his buzzing transformers.

Stan

trailer
22-01-2009, 17:00
I've been listening at 13.5v the last couple of days. Went back to 12v today.

I must say I prefer the 12v. It seems to be less "in your face" and more "as it should be". My preference I guess.

If there's any Porcupine Tree fans out there, try "Even Less" off "Stupid Dream" at about 4.40 where there's a guitar break. Wait for the drum crash. Mine seems to come from out of the back of the wall.

Fi-Wi
22-01-2009, 17:54
Even without playing the actual PT song I can hear that very moment by heart.

And I only have a 6/3-version. :)

StanleyB
22-01-2009, 17:59
Nothing wrong with the 6.3. I still use one on my 3rd system.

Fi-Wi
22-01-2009, 18:07
Nothing wrong with it indeed, I love the sound of it every day.

But my weakness is that I can't stand upgrades that I don't own. :eyebrows:

trailer
22-01-2009, 18:32
Nothing wrong with it indeed, I love the sound of it every day.

But my weakness is that I can't stand upgrades that I don't own. :eyebrows:

Just upgrade then. Simple. :dance:

Fi-Wi
22-01-2009, 20:34
Life is so simple. :)

kreacherx
26-01-2009, 18:49
It's my Birthday on Saturday 31st, everyday I have been thinking of the 7510+ since Xmas, Couldn't you make a 57yr old man very happy before his ears collapse & release it?
David:lolsign:

Labarum
26-01-2009, 18:51
It's my Birthday on Saturday 31st, everyday I have been thinking of the 7510+ since Xmas, Couldn't you make a 57yr old man very happy before his ears collapse & release it?
David:lolsign:

The violins will sound so much better! :)

theone999
27-01-2009, 14:22
yes stan lol when is the date this week?

StanleyB
27-01-2009, 14:47
Not sure what the delay at Customs is all about lads:confused:. I expected this delay anyhow from the moment the parcels were given to the wrong courier company for airfreight to the UK:(.

Labarum
27-01-2009, 14:55
Are you getting grief off your loyal customers, Stan?

Covenant
27-01-2009, 19:13
Could you tell us a little bit about the development of your upgraded power supply?

StanleyB
27-01-2009, 19:47
Could you tell us a little bit about the development of your upgraded power supply?
There are two. One is an upgraded regulated power supply inside the TC-7520, and one is an upgraded regulated external power supply.

Stan

Mike
27-01-2009, 19:55
Or a battery. :)

Covenant
27-01-2009, 20:01
There are two. One is an upgraded regulated power supply inside the TC-7520, and one is an upgraded regulated external power supply.

Stan

Sorry thats confused me. Presumably you still need an external supply? Is it still your intention to offer the upgraded supply as an option?

StanleyB
27-01-2009, 20:05
I abandoned the idea of a battery. Why follow when I can lead? I am experimenting with xxxxxxxx :eyebrows:. Excuse the secrecy. The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

Stan

Covenant
27-01-2009, 20:10
Bah! humbug! Its like trying to get blood out of a stone.......:doh:

Labarum
27-01-2009, 20:13
Our Stan is being very naughty . . . and enjoying it.

It's getting like one of those Apple cliffhangers . . . will they . . . wont they.

trailer
27-01-2009, 20:16
I'm all for a Stancast on iTunes

kreacherx
02-02-2009, 13:19
Been there , done that with hifi! now i just want to settle to good listening.
My source data is flac, appple lossless, mp3 and lower?
through imac & at the moment analog out!
into the Fatman iTube 182 valve pre/power amp
into a pair of TDL speakers
music tastes ---- all of it as I feel!
It sounds good now but what I hear about the beresford 7510 DAC I know it'll sound better!!
SO! what do I get the 7510 or the 7510+? with optical
this is the equipt i will be using for some time so, being honest Stan & others what do u suggest???:gig:

Labarum
02-02-2009, 13:55
Both 7510 and 7520 (7510+) have optical input which you Mac will feed.

The new 7520 has a USB input, which you won't necessarily need.

7520 has better output section and drives headphones better.

Up to you. At the price you can't lose with either!

Clive
02-02-2009, 16:02
Stan,

I hope I can phrase this question without sounding insulting, I certainly don't intend to be!

Not all USB inputs or converters are created equal, eg the cheap and nasty USB to coax converters from the likes of Maplin are not at all the same as the one from Hagtech - to name just one of the better examples.

I fully expect the 7520 has a well implemented USB input. Can you say anything about what you done here (I'm not asking for you to any divulge secrets!)

Thanks,

Clive

Labarum
02-02-2009, 16:49
Not all USB inputs or converters are created equal . . . Can you say anything about what you done

Yes Stan,

and with reference to Kernel Streaming, ASIO, Exclusive Mode, WASAPI, Windows Mixer.

Getting a bit perfect stream out of a Windows PC is a black art which is one of the reasons why I took the Squeezebox route.

So Stan, what can you tell us about the USB implementation.

kreacherx
02-02-2009, 16:57
Both 7510 and 7520 (7510+) have optical input which you Mac will feed.

The new 7520 has a USB input, which you won't necessarily need.

7520 has better output section and drives headphones better.

Up to you. At the price you can't lose with either!

The output section? is it increased o/p or matched z to headphones, how is it better??
there is 70squid difference seeing i wont be using usb & i'm going into a preamp, is the d-a conversion improved???
Excuse my Q's but i was a technician in the stone age, before i/c's:lol:

leo
02-02-2009, 17:00
But most of those USB convertors including Hagtech etc use the cheap PCM27** based audio convertor chip;)

They're pretty bog standard regarding implementation but can be all made to sound quite good, I've got one here which I can use with any of my dacs including the Sabre, actually not a bad sound at all and its convenient.
IMHO I think having the USB option with Stans new dac is a great idea and something that a lot of people would use.
Its hard designing a unit which has the features to apeal to everyone

kreacherx
04-02-2009, 14:06
I'm an Aquarian, need new things & can't wait, I'd really love to hear the difference the 7520 makes! but I was impatient before, now since the heart health scares waiting months with no idea of delivery time is or what's happening that money as my old mum says (even @ 57) is "burning a hole in my pocket" any ideas of delivery time???Pleez

StanleyB
04-02-2009, 14:44
I'm an Aquarian, need new things & can't wait, I'd really love to hear the difference the 7520 makes! but I was impatient before, now since the heart health scares waiting months with no idea of delivery time is or what's happening that money as my old mum says (even @ 57) is "burning a hole in my pocket" any ideas of delivery time???Pleez
Send me your Paypal ID via PM and I can send one out to you tomorrow.
I am busy doing the web pages etc. Once that has finished I can load up the relevant pages and evryone can then order. In the mean time it's AoS members only:) with a respectable number of postings;).

Stan

Filterlab
04-02-2009, 14:49
Get posting Phatman! We want to see at least 100 posts by midnight - and none of this 'I agree' and ':)' malarky.

:lol:

Labarum
04-02-2009, 14:52
You mean a post full of random numbers wouldn't count?

Beechwoods
04-02-2009, 19:34
Get posting Phatman! We want to see at least 100 posts by midnight - and none of this 'I agree' and ':)' malarky.

... I quite a agree. That sort of behaviour is strictly for Mods and Admin only :lol:

Filterlab
04-02-2009, 19:48
... I quite a agree. That sort of behaviour is strictly for Mods and Admin only :lol:

I agree.

:)

Beechwoods
04-02-2009, 19:58
:lol: ;)

Filterlab
04-02-2009, 19:59
That's one more post to add to the collection. ;)

Labarum
04-02-2009, 20:03
I'm not a mod so I must say something like

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 28481117450284102701938521105559644622948954930381 96442881097566593344612847564823378678316527120190 91456485669234603486104543266482133936072602491412 73724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364 36789259036001133053054882046652138414695194151160 94330572703657595919530921861173819326117931051185 48074462379962749567351885752724891227938183011949 12983367336244065664308602139494639522473719070217 98609437027705392171762931767523846748184676694051 32000568127145263560827785771342757789609173637178 72146844090122495343014654958537105079227968925892 35420199561121290219608640344181598136297747713099 60518707211349999998372978049951059731732816096318 59502445945534690830264252230825334468503526193118 81710100031378387528865875332083814206171776691473 03598253490428755468731159562863882353787593751957 78185778053217122680661300192787661119590921642019

Filterlab
04-02-2009, 20:11
Good shout Brian, Pi to how many places?

Beechwoods
04-02-2009, 20:13
It's worth the extra post if it was typed from memory!

PS. You promised us a random number. That was the least random number ever :ner:

Filterlab
04-02-2009, 20:13
True on both points Nick,

Brian? :)

Labarum
05-02-2009, 22:17
Good shout Brian, Pi to how many places?

Labarum
05-02-2009, 22:20
True on both points Nick,

Brian? :)

No, not from memory. From Google.

Beechwoods
05-02-2009, 22:36
You blew it Brian! You could've lied and would forever more been remembered as the man who knew pi to 1000 places off the top of his head! Ah well ;) :lol:

Labarum
06-02-2009, 09:01
Can't lie. I'm a clergyman. Haven't you Googled my screen name?

(And no one would have believed me.)

3.142 is as far a my memory takes me (O, those wretched log tables!)

1.414 for sqrt 2

2.71 for e

But hey, that's not bad: I have done no Physics or Electronics Theory since 1970.

Labarum
06-02-2009, 09:06
It's worth the extra post if it was typed from memory!

PS. You promised us a random number. That was the least random number ever :ner:

Just seen your PS - PI is an irrational.

I think if you start at a random point in PI's decimal places, the digits will follow in random order - or at least as good as most other means of generating a random series.

But I haven't done any Maths since 1970 either.

Was that a "Yah Boo Sucks"?

Filterlab
06-02-2009, 09:17

Well, if I knew what one of those was.....

I always remember Pi as 3.1417, can never remember further though, and that's not even correct anyway! :lol:

Chris
06-02-2009, 11:34
At grammar school in Derby (up to A-levels in 1969), we were always told that Pi was 22/7. When I mentioned this to a Maths teacher here in Spain she was most impressed, saying that was the only true answer for a value of Pi. Bloody decimals.

Labarum
06-02-2009, 11:48
At grammar school in Derby (up to A-levels in 1969), we were always told that Pi was 22/7. When I mentioned this to a Maths teacher here in Spain she was most impressed, saying that was the only true answer for a value of Pi. Bloody decimals.

22/7 is an approximation. PI is an irrational. It cannot be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/numb/pi-irr.html

Filterlab
06-02-2009, 12:55
22/7 is an approximation. PI is an irrational. It cannot be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/numb/pi-irr.html

And it's also not correct (22/7), if 22/7 is expressed as a decimal it is in fact 3.1428. Pi is stated as being 3.14159 and not 3.1417 as I thought, even rounding up would make it 3.1416 so I'm well out. I do know however that Pi comes from the latin for perimeter which is written as: περίμετρος

Man, this is what I call thread drift!

Labarum
06-02-2009, 13:23
Where are you getting your numbers?

3.14159265358979323846 . . .

3.142 to 4 significant figures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

Filterlab
06-02-2009, 13:38
... Pi is stated as being 3.14159...

Where are you getting your numbers?

3.14159265358979323846 . . .

Excuse me if I'm incorrect, but do those numbers not start with the same digits? :confused: Can anyone else spot the similarity or do we have a case of interpretation preceeding reactive recognition?

Labarum
06-02-2009, 15:19
Excuse me if I'm incorrect, but do those numbers not start with the same digits? :confused: Can anyone else spot the similarity or do we have a case of interpretation preceeding reactive recognition?

Sorry, too many numbers and far to many words for my little brain:

And it's also not correct (22/7), if 22/7 is expressed as a decimal it is in fact 3.1428. Pi is stated as being 3.14159 and not 3.1417 as I thought, even rounding up would make it 3.1416 so I'm well out.

3.1417 was the number my eye fixed on!

Filterlab
06-02-2009, 16:24
Ahh, I see mate. Yep, I'm definitely wrong with that number, it's mathematically miles out so to speak. :lol:

:)

Labarum
06-02-2009, 17:30
Shouldn't we getting back to Stan's DAC?

But you are the Administer, Rob.

Fi-Wi
06-02-2009, 18:52
That has my preference too. :confused:

Beechwoods
06-02-2009, 20:52
Just seen your PS - PI is an irrational.

Thanks Brian :doh: it was a perhaps ill-informed 'ner ner n ner ner' ;) While not wanting to stoke the fires of thread drift any further by trotting further inwards on the thin-ice of my mathematical understanding, Pi itself isn't random, it's a fixed number sequence. I think that was what I was getting at :scratch: Interesting discussion chaps! :lol:

Filterlab
06-02-2009, 21:41
Shouldn't we getting back to Stan's DAC?

That has my preference too. :confused:

Good call folks, let's leave Pi for teatime. :)

Labarum
06-02-2009, 21:48
Here is a question I put which remains unanswered:

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Not all USB inputs or converters are created equal . . . Can you say anything about what you done

Labarum:

Yes Stan,

and with reference to Kernel Streaming, ASIO, Exclusive Mode, WASAPI, Windows Mixer.

Getting a bit perfect stream out of a Windows PC is a black art which is one of the reasons why I took the Squeezebox route.

So Stan, what can you tell us about the USB implementation.

---

Or what can anyone else say on the matter?

kreacherx
07-02-2009, 16:45
Stan, you are the master! Earl Klugh sounds like a dream! what separation what guitar work................ OMG, it has caused tears in my eyes & shivers down my spine. A Triumph mate AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Gazjam
07-02-2009, 21:16
I think he likes it!

kreacherx
08-02-2009, 00:03
I think he does - Since i had time to find my toslink I have been playing all my mp3's flac's apple lossless, files from my iMac thru this wonderful TC 7520 out thru one of Howard Popek's made up cables, made hot by iTube 182, audioquest blue to an old pair of TDL2 trans lne speakers!! everything i threw at it was played so much better with definition, separation & loads of "feeling" Quoting James Brown "I feel good" i thought when i paid the pennies , am i wasting money........ No I haven't ..... I am listening thru the ears of a 16yr old teenager again with Jimi Hendrix "Are you Experienced " playing as I've never heard before.
Thank you Stan for bringing music back to me again & thanks to this forum for introducing the Beresford DAC 7520:gig:

StanleyB
08-02-2009, 07:51
i thought when i paid the pennies , am i wasting money........ No I haven't .....
I thought when I was designing the TC-7520, am I wasting my time? would people risk spending nearly £200 on a DAC from my stable after getting accustomed to the low price of the TC-7520? Would I be able to further underline my claims that my design can make even wireless files and mp3 sound far better than any other DAC out there? Could I come up with a USB circuit that could rival even the most expensive USB DAC in terms of musicality? Was it possible to develop a heaphone circuit that could hold its own against the best stand alone headphone amps? And all that for under £200???

Stan

Labarum
08-02-2009, 08:57
And all that for under £200???

And I think you were aiming for considerably less that £200, but with the falling pound, and importation of component costs . . .

Filterlab
12-02-2009, 13:27
Stan, you are the master! Earl Klugh sounds like a dream! what separation what guitar work................ OMG, it has caused tears in my eyes & shivers down my spine. A Triumph mate AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That's pretty well my feelings towards the DAC too - it's absolutely stunning! Full review to follow once I'm back from my holiday (currently posting via my iPhone. ;)).

Excellent work Stan - you are the man!

Marco
06-03-2009, 22:48
Did we miss the review then? :)

Marco.

Filterlab
06-03-2009, 23:22
Nope, not even close to running the DAC in yet!

Marco
06-03-2009, 23:30
Sounded great at the show, particularly when it 'moved house' onto the QS Ref stand :)

Marco.

leo
06-03-2009, 23:34
Come on, stop slacking:lolsign:

Marco
11-03-2009, 22:44
Leo likes getting his whip out, I've heard ;)

Marco.