PDA

View Full Version : Any kind person fit my psu?

indus
19-04-2012, 11:22
Hi

The next plan for my sl1210 is to fit an external psu. aI have no diy skills and have no intention of taking my new deck apart.

I haven't decided with psu to go for yet. I might keep costs under control and huy a vantage or splash out on a PH one.

Before I buy one I need to make sure I have some provision to have it fitted.

If there was a reputable company who could do it close to me I'd be happy to take it there and pay for it to be done.

Failing that is there anybody in the London/Essex area who might be willing to do this for me?

I would of course travel to you and pay you a reasonable fee. If you felt uncomfortable about taking cash I still wouldn't come empty handed, I'd bring a nice bottle of something!

Many thanks

worrasf
19-04-2012, 11:43
Hi

The next plan for my sl1210 is to fit an external psu. aI have no diy skills and have no intention of taking my new deck apart.

I haven't decided with psu to go for yet. I might keep costs under control and huy a vantage or splash out on a PH one.

Before I buy one I need to make sure I have some provision to have it fitted.

If there was a reputable company who could do it close to me I'd be happy to take it there and pay for it to be done.

Failing that is there anybody in the London/Essex area who might be willing to do this for me?

I would of course travel to you and pay you a reasonable fee. If you felt uncomfortable about taking cash I still wouldn't come empty handed, I'd bring a nice bottle of something!

Many thanks

Hi David,

I have nothing but good things to say about Vantage kit. The guys even travelled to Yorkshire to fit my circuit board upgrade :) I'm pretty sure they will also fit your PSU if you purchase from them - drop them an email is my advice.

Steve

indus
19-04-2012, 12:11
Thanks Stephen. I will drop them an email but can't imagine they'd travel from Somerset to London to fit a £225 psu.

Thanks again

stewartwen
20-04-2012, 23:41
If you were closer I would be happy to do this for you, but sadly I live a long way from you.
S

Ali Tait
21-04-2012, 08:28
I could contact John Caswell for you if you like. He does all the builds and repairs for WD amongst other companies. He's a knowledeable bloke and won't charge you silly money. He lives in Wokingham.

chris@panteg
21-04-2012, 10:26
If you go for the Vantage psu , Richard would I'm sure be happy to arrange a home visit and fit it for you , he provides an excellent service and a great bloke too .

Just offer a contribution to fuel costs .

indus
21-04-2012, 18:24
Thanks Stewart.

Ali Tait, excuse my ignorance but who are WD?

Thanks Chris. I've yet to hear/read a bad thing about Vantage but their fee to fit will be about £75 ( £50 labour and £25 petrol)

Given how far they are it's not an unreasonable fee to be fair but it represents 35% of the price of the psu.

Maybe I should think about attempting to fit it myself (cue Frank Spencer type disaster:lol:)

Edited to say I've just read the fitting instructions sticky and there is no way I'm going to have a go :lol:

Ali Tait
21-04-2012, 18:32
WD is World Designs, who sell kit valve amps-

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/

Used to be WAD who were part of HiFi World Magazine. It is also a long running forum-

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/

Big Vern
21-04-2012, 18:47
Thanks Stewart.

Thanks Chris. I've yet to hear/read a bad thing about Vantage but their fee to fit will be about £75 ( £50 labour and £25 petrol)

Given how far they are it's not an unreasonable fee to be fair but it represents 35% of the price of the psu.

Edited to say I've just read the fitting instructions sticky and there is no way I'm going to have a go :lol:

Hi David,

Just to echo what Chris has posted, it really would be worth having a chat with Richard at Vantage - he has decks from all over the country at his base - he tends to 'tie visits in' to make the travelling economical and would probably look to visit another client in London at the same time as fitting your power supply...

Worth a try - he really is a smashing chap

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Marco
21-04-2012, 18:58

David, I'd bite the bullet and pay the £75. Why? Because:

1) The Vantage PSU is ace and will transform the sound of your Techy.

2) You'd enjoy meeting Richard, and would benefit, by learning from him.

I really think that you'd gain greatly from the experience, and that paying the £75 would be worth every penny! :)

Marco.

indus
22-04-2012, 09:50
Thanks Ali

Thanks Paul and Marco, point taken. I will get Richard to supply and fit as adviced. Whilst I have Richard on a call out are there any other small mods worth getting done?

I'm going to ask him to fit my new arm but how about stuff like pitch disable and strobe disable? Are these things still worth doing when you have an external psu or do they become irrelevant with the psu?

Are there any other bits of electronics on the deck worth upgrading whilst Richard has the deck open?

Thanks for the advice

Stratmangler
22-04-2012, 10:16
The pitch disable is readily noticable using the standard PSU.
I imagine that it would be even more noticable with a decent aftermarket PSU.

indus
22-04-2012, 14:30
Thanks Chris, I'll get that done then.

worrasf
22-04-2012, 14:52
Whilst I have Richard on a call out are there any other small mods worth getting done?

Well since you asked, as Richard will be taking your platter off and bearing out and disconnecting the PCB you"could" ask him to fit a VA modified bearing, VA modified PCB and if you book in advance a VA modified platter :stalks:

I have all these goodies and can attest to their very real positive benefit to the SQ at a reasonable cost.

Steve

indus
22-04-2012, 15:24
Well since you asked, as Richard will be taking your platter off and bearing out and disconnecting the PCB you"could" ask him to fit a VA modified bearing, VA modified PCB and if you book in advance a VA modified platter :stalks:

I have all these goodies and can attest to their very real positive benefit to the SQ at a reasonable cost.

Steve

Steve, I did say 'small' mods:lol:

May I ask What does the pcb upgrade consist of?

Puffin
22-04-2012, 16:59

You will have to sell your left testicle to fund it:lol::eyebrows:

indus
22-04-2012, 17:06
You will have to sell your left testicle to fund it:lol::eyebrows:

Sold that years ago:)

Big Vern
22-04-2012, 17:29
Thanks Ali

Thanks Paul and Marco, point taken. I will get Richard to supply and fit as adviced. Whilst I have Richard on a call out are there any other small mods worth getting done?

Hi David,

I reckon a good starting point would be the Vantage Bearing - you could then look to do the power supply/platter at a later date; Richard may be able to demonstrate the mods when he visits...having heard a Richard modded 1200, you won't go wrong...

Best Wishes,

worrasf
22-04-2012, 17:58

Essentially a reworked main PCB with new earth tracks and the odd electrolytic - claimed to improve speed stability with less hunting of quartz lock. Richard was quite keen I did not publish close up photos of the new board after he fitted it so a bit of trade secret stuff :scratch:

If you go the VA way I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

Steve

indus
22-04-2012, 18:12
Thanks Paul.

Since Richard is quite a distance from me I'm wondering whether it's better for me to try and get a few things done at the same time. It might actually save me money in labour and petrol costs if it's done in one go rather than multiple visits.

I was originally only thinking about the psu. I never really knew Richard did the platter and bearing upgrades, and he never tried to up sell these to me when we've been in email contact.

After reading about the platter and bearing upgrades I'm very tempted but need some more information to understand the logic behind them (especially what is actually upgraded for the bearing)

I could see these as being the last mods for me and give me what somebody described as a 'Technics Lite' ie a deck with all the important bits upgraded but without going uber high end with PH PSU, MN bearing, platter etc.

Obviously it won't sound as good as those kinds of decks, but it also won't cost anywhere near as much but should still sound very nice

indus
22-04-2012, 18:20
Thanks Stephen.

I'll be dropping Richard another email tomorrow and discuss all these mods with him.

I did find the threads regarding your VA upgrade path but since you've had more time now to listen to them could you outline what improvements you found with the individual upgrades ie bearing, platter, pcb etc?

Many thanks for your help

The Grand Wazoo
22-04-2012, 19:26
Sold that years ago:)

I can get you a good price for your right one.

indus
22-04-2012, 19:35
I can get you a good price for your right one.

I thought the market for them had shriveled up?

The Grand Wazoo
23-04-2012, 05:42
Yes, but it bounced back.

indus
23-04-2012, 10:34
Better sell quick in case it sags again

worrasf
23-04-2012, 10:55
could you outline what improvements you found with the individual upgrades ie bearing, platter, pcb etc?

Thanks - well I guess that they all seek to address the same issue(s) namely platter rotation stability by improving both the mechanical and electrical components involved and the various improvements act synergistically. Richard was very keen I tried things in a specific order (bearing - platter - PCB) and only when convinced of the benefit move onto the next step.

What you end up with is a much more dynamic and controlled presentation (the old PRaT) which extends across the frequencies but particularly noticeable in rock-solid and tuneful bass notes, stable stereo imagery, lower noise floor so more detail - all together a much more authorative pacakge. I did find that a mat improved things still further - for me the Achromat muddied the midrange but withthe Resomat everything just "locked into place".

So yes still very happy and not "upgraded" any bits further although am eagerly awaiting a new stylus from ESC for my newly acquired Garrott P77 - I think it should really sing on this deck - but whether it is "better" than the Decca Blue somehow I doubt but looking forward to finding out.

Steve

indus
23-04-2012, 13:28
Thanks Steve. Though I understand what you are saying when you talk about everything working synergistically. But would you say one out of the three ie platter, pcb or bearing really made the deck sing?

Also would you say the pcb, platter and bearing had as much of a positive impact as the psu upgrade?

Many thanks for your help