PDA

View Full Version : Group buy: Mini T amplifier + 5A PSU at a discount price

amptastic
18-04-2012, 08:40
We're happy to do our first AoS member group buy on the renowned Mini T amplifier. If we can get 15 names down from AoS members, each person will get theirs for just £54.99 including UK P&P

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqV,!hUE3uG(kQ-SBOBjT!wQYQ~~_12.JPG

Tripath TA2020-20 amplifier, inc 12v 5A PSU
Minimal design fits in well with all other HiFi components
Full 12 month UK warranty
Rapid dispatch, sent out same working day

Review (Thanks Jerry) here:
http://hifipig.com/do-good-things-come-in-small-packages-amptastic-mini-t/

Full details currently available here:
http://bit.ly/JeUwsH

All you need to do is reply to this thread and add your name to the list.

Many thanks and please feel free to drop us an email or message if you want to know more info.

Chris @ Amptastic.com

Mini T group buy
---------------------

amptastic
18-04-2012, 08:42
Oh we forgot to say:
If you want two units for Bi-amping we will honour the price for both, just make sure your name is on the list.

Payment via PayPal, Bank transfer or Cheque (dispatch once cleared).

RichB
18-04-2012, 09:54
We're happy to do our first AoS member group buy on the renowned Mini T amplifier. If we can get 15 names down from AoS members, each person will get theirs for just £54.99 including UK P&P

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqV,!hUE3uG(kQ-SBOBjT!wQYQ~~_12.JPG

Tripath TA2020-20 amplifier, inc 12v 5A PSU
Minimal design fits in well with all other HiFi components
Full 12 month UK warranty
Rapid dispatch, sent out same working day

Review (Thanks Jerry) here:
http://hifipig.com/do-good-things-come-in-small-packages-amptastic-mini-t/

Full details currently available here:
http://bit.ly/JeUwsH

All you need to do is reply to this thread and add your name to the list.

Many thanks and please feel free to drop us an email or message if you want to know more info.

Chris @ Amptastic.com

Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB

Yes Please.

Jonboy
18-04-2012, 09:57
I will have one please

Folkboy
18-04-2012, 12:20
I have an original Amptastic TA2020 (with 5A ps) and it's a great amp (of any size).
Be interesting to see what improvements in sound theis new version has over the original one.

Tarzan
18-04-2012, 19:03
l take it you are going to buy the new version Jon- can you write a few notes on the comparison?

wee tee cee
18-04-2012, 21:33
Chris,
Put me down for two. I am currently quad amping with temple audio mono blocks and have been itching to try your wares.
Regards Tony.

amptastic
19-04-2012, 10:28
Many thanks all - updated names list as follows:

Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. Folkboy?

LittleTone
19-04-2012, 11:26
Hi Chris,

My curiosity is getting the better of me. Put me down for one please

Regards Tony

Folkboy
19-04-2012, 13:49
I have an original Amptastic TA2020 (with 5A ps) and it's a great amp (of any size).
Be interesting to see what improvements in sound theis new version has over the original one.
Ah, no. Despite the low cost of this amp, I am brassic lint at the moment (and probably for the near future). :(

Please delete me from the group buy.

Griffy
19-04-2012, 16:34
When are these going out?
When all 15 'slots' full?

amptastic
19-04-2012, 16:53
Ah, no. Despite the low cost of this amp, I am brassic lint at the moment (and probably for the near future). :(

Please delete me from the group buy.

Sure no problem! Feel free to drop us a line if you want to buy one direct in the future.

amptastic
19-04-2012, 16:56
Hi Chris,

My curiosity is getting the better of me. Put me down for one please

Regards Tony

Hi Tony, you're on the list. Many thanks.

When are these going out?
When all 15 'slots' full?

Yup, once the group buy hits 15 units we will take payment and ship out. This is the lowest we've ever sold them at.

Tim
19-04-2012, 17:21
I would like to take one too please :)

Darren
19-04-2012, 22:00
I'll take one too please. Will it work in Jordan?

Best,
Darren

amptastic
20-04-2012, 06:48
I would like to take one too please :)

Hi Tim, sure thing, you're now on the list.

I'll take one too please. Will it work in Jordan?

Best,
Darren

Hi Darren, yes it should work in Jordan because the PSU is universal 110-240v
Thanks!

amptastic
20-04-2012, 06:49
Many thanks all - updated names list as follows:

Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. LittleTone
6. Tim
7. Darren

chrism
20-04-2012, 09:06
Quite interested in one but unsure what the upgrades are over say a standard SMSL T2020 type. Would you be able to let me know without giving the game away ;)

Regards

Chris

Darren
21-04-2012, 16:33
Quite interested in one but unsure what the upgrades are over say a standard SMSL T2020 type. Would you be able to let me know without giving the game away ;)

Regards

Chris

Dont be too cautious Chris! They sound great and cost £60..... how wrong can it go:lol:

Tarzan
22-04-2012, 08:11
Dont be too cautious Chris! They sound great and cost £60..... how wrong can it go:lol:

x2 they really sound amazing:)

RichB
22-04-2012, 09:55
I'm intend to use one as a wee power amp fed via the pre-amp outs from my Arcam Solo Neo... See how it compares to Arcams own amp, should be interesting.

Griffy
22-04-2012, 15:28
Put me down for one please. Hope we fill the remaining spaces quickly!

Tony Moore
22-04-2012, 18:12
Please put me down for one too, it'll make a nice amp for my "home office".

Thanks,
Tony

Stratmangler
22-04-2012, 19:20
Stick me down for one too, please :)

wee tee cee
22-04-2012, 22:42
Do we have to wait until the list is full before we can order them.... I'm getting trigger happy.

Darren
22-04-2012, 23:54
I fear we still have a few to go....

chrism
23-04-2012, 07:18

Regards

Chris

Would still be interested if Chris from Amptastic would give a few details about the "Tuning" of the amp.

Regards

Chris

Darren
23-04-2012, 11:23
Self moderated my somewhat waspish post!

amptastic
23-04-2012, 18:08
Hi there, we've built and tweaked our component spec via many months of listening tests and quite happy with it! Hopefully the impartial customer feedback speaks for itself. Give one a go & if you're really not happy we can do a return and refund.

Would still be interested if Chris from Amptastic would give a few details about the "Tuning" of the amp.

Regards
Chris

amptastic
23-04-2012, 18:11
Put me down for one please. Hope we fill the remaining spaces quickly!

Hi Griffy, no problem - you're on the list. Many thanks.

Please put me down for one too, it'll make a nice amp for my "home office".

Thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony, you're now on the list. The Mini T is more than suitable for home offices :eyebrows:

Stick me down for one too, please :)

Hi Stratmangler, many thanks you're now on the list!

amptastic
23-04-2012, 18:15
Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. LittleTone
6. Tim
7. Darren
8. Griffy
9. Tony Moore
10. Stratmangler

amptastic
23-04-2012, 18:20
Do we have to wait until the list is full before we can order them.... I'm getting trigger happy.

Hi wee tee cee, hopefully we can fill the remaining five spaces soon. I'm sure there must be a few more AoS members out there who want to take part in the group buy. The interest has been good so far!

We love hearing from our customers and here's some feedback received via email today:

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to say thanks, - it arrived safely a few days ago and it’s put a smile on my face !

I’ve been running it in my office in place of a £2000 Audiolab pre / power amp combo – and it certainly holds its own ( up to a point of course ! )
What an amazing little box !

Regards
P***** ******

electric beach
24-04-2012, 07:59
Hi Chris,

I'll take another two while you're feeling generous, both with euro plugs please.

The fact that I've bought a few does not mean they are unreliable, I just spread the word ;), although I have managed to blow one up through mis-wiring a linear power supply!

Might you have one of those Jack size adaptors from the 2 amp power supplies going spare?

amptastic
24-04-2012, 10:25
I'll take another two while you're feeling generous, both with euro plugs please.

Great stuff you're now on the list for x2 amps, we just need 3 more orders to meet the group buy goal.

RE: Jack sized adaptors, please just drop us a line via email and we can sort something out.

All the best, Chris

Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. LittleTone
6. Tim
7. Darren
8. Griffy
9. Tony Moore
10. Stratmangler
11. electric beach
12. electric beach

synsei
24-04-2012, 23:33
Hi Chris. If the answer is a big 'YES' to both the questions I pm'd you then I'll have one of these too plz... ;)

amptastic
25-04-2012, 10:22
Hi Chris. If the answer is a big 'YES' to both the questions I pm'd you then I'll have one of these too plz... ;)

PM'd - YES to both, you're on the list. We're really close now, will hopefully complete the group buy in the next few days.

We will PM all the buyers to request their email address. We will then send an invoice with payment methods attached.

Many thanks!

stevelp
25-04-2012, 10:47
Oh, go on then. I've finally been tempted. Put me down for one as well!
Cheers
Steve.

amptastic
25-04-2012, 12:15
Oh, go on then. I've finally been tempted. Put me down for one as well!
Cheers
Steve.

Hi Steve, many thanks you're now on the list.

We're just 1 amp away from the group buy target!

Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. LittleTone
6. Tim
7. Darren
8. Griffy
9. Tony Moore
10. Stratmangler
11. electric beach
12. electric beach
13. synsei
14. stevelp

Darren
25-04-2012, 16:44
We're just 1 amp away from the group buy target!

C'mon Marco..... one of these would be perfect for your downstairs toilet system.......:lol::eyebrows:

Griffy
25-04-2012, 19:20
Cracking little amp,

Someone else surely needs a bargain!

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2012, 19:25
Oh stuff it, stick me down for one :eyebrows: I think it'd be interesting to compare the sound quality to something I purchased on ebay very recently..

These things are a known quantity :cool:

That'll make everyone happy :eyebrows:

Jonboy
25-04-2012, 19:31
good on yer Mark :yay::mex:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2012, 19:37
good on yer Mark :yay::mex:
No worries Jon :eyebrows: These things get good reviews & I have heard Jerry using one at Scalford to drive a pair of Tannoys, very nice indeed I might add.

So it's a known quantity so to speak, while this is a bit different (think Mini-T on mega steroids) it should have some of the sonic qualities of the Mini-T due to the ripple (carrier) steering...

I picked this up on Saturday (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230776399851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) :)

As I say, mega steroids :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2012, 19:50
Mini T group buy
---------------------
1. RichB
2. Jonboy
3. wee tee cee
4. wee tee cee
5. LittleTone
6. Tim
7. Darren
8. Griffy
9. Tony Moore
10. Stratmangler
11. electric beach
12. electric beach
13. synsei
14. stevelp
15. Reid Malenfant

All in.... Bring em on! :D

amptastic
25-04-2012, 20:15
Hi Reid Malenfant (Mark), congratulations we've hit the target for the group buy!

Everyone please PM over your email addresses to confirm and we will send out an invoice shortly via email. You will be able to add your delivery address when paying online for the items.

The group buy will continue to run until Sunday the 29th April just incase anyone else wants to be lucky and get a discount as part of the group :)

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2012, 18:40
Hi Chris, while I have a nice email from Paypal saying I happen to have payed you this morning, can you please confirm that you received it :)

I'd feel a whole lot happier if you could please :D

Cheers chap!

Bests to you :cool:

RichB
26-04-2012, 19:41
You should also have payment from me...

Look forward to checking these little beauties out for myself:eyebrows:

Barry
26-04-2012, 20:32
Now that you have fulfilled the minimum order size, does that mean you are no longer accepting new orders?

If you are still accepting orders at the discount price, please put me down for one.

As this is my 5000th post, you had better say yes! ;)

Thanks

Tim
26-04-2012, 21:00

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/fireworks-53.gif

:cool:

Good effort Barry.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2012, 21:02
The group buy will continue to run until Sunday the 29th April just incase anyone else wants to be lucky and get a discount as part of the group :)

Now that you have fulfilled the minimum order size, does that mean you are no longer accepting new orders?

If you are still accepting orders at the discount price, please put me down for one.

Thanks
I think that means you are in luck Barry :) Good to see you back & I hope you had a pleasant vacation :cool:

amptastic
27-04-2012, 12:03
Congratulations on that post landmark! 5k - wow...

Yes we are still running the group buy until Sunday, so you're in luck. We'll contact you via PM to arrange the payment shortly.

All the best,
Team Amptastic

Thanks

amptastic
27-04-2012, 12:04
Mark & Rich, apologies for the short delay in responding to everyone but everything should be in order now. You have PM

Reid Malenfant
27-04-2012, 15:56
Aye, all good, cheers Chris :)

Mr Nad
27-04-2012, 17:01
Trust me to have bought 2 before this offer came along.

I have bi-amped with these little wonders, and the sound is astonishing, even to the wife's ears.

They are very revealing, and show the limits of my speakers. And that mean's I'll have to spend some more money on upgrading in the near future...

synsei
28-04-2012, 11:06
My Mini-T arrived this morning (cheers Chris :cool:) so being the eager Beaver that I am I wapped it straight into the system on power amp duties. It's been up and running for about an hour and I have to say I am very impressed. Gonna keep it hooked up for a week or so to allow it to burn in but it's all sounding quite horny just now. As it stands the Hafler has it beat on ultimate resolution at the frequency extremes and overall ambience but it's early doors yet. Imaging is pretty good too, definitely on a par with the Hafler. There's a helluva lot going on inside this cute little box of tricks and for the money I am absolutely gobsmacked at what I'm hearing. It's having no trouble at all driving the DM2's to quite obscene levels... :champagne:

Marco
28-04-2012, 11:23
Result! Told ya ;)

But..... What about that crackle, or whatever, you were hearing from your speakers - is that still there now that the T-amp's in the equation? :)

Marco.

synsei
28-04-2012, 11:26
No it isn't Marco but that's because I'm listening straight from the CDP. It's still there when the Caiman is in circuit though. I've narrowed the fault down to the Caiman now anyway and Stan has offered to take a look at it for me. Got a spare DAC I can borrow for a couple of weeks? :lol:

Tony Moore
28-04-2012, 11:59
My Mini-T arrived just now, thanks Chris, very fast delivery! :)

I've not had chance to try it out yet, hopefully I'll get around to it later on today or tomorrow. Great looking piece of kit though, way chunkier and well machined than I was imagining.

Thanks again.
Tony

synsei
28-04-2012, 13:17
Found a neat home for the Mini-T but now I have a problem, there's a gap to fill under the other speaker. What to do? :D

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/Mini-T.jpg

chelsea
28-04-2012, 13:22
Has anyone used one with audio note speakers?

Jonboy
28-04-2012, 14:50
Mine has arrived this morning and have left it playing away for the rest of the weekend, definitely to my ears sounding more refined than it's predecessor already :D

Reid Malenfant
28-04-2012, 15:09
The post round here seems to be cack of late :rolleyes: Nothing arrived yet, not even some cables that Mark Grant posted on Thursday :(

RichB
28-04-2012, 15:42
The post round here seems to be cack of late :rolleyes: Nothing arrived yet, not even some cables that Mark Grant posted on Thursday :(

Ditto Mark, It would have been too good to be true if the postman had brought mine this morning... instead I'll probably get one of those red cards through the door on monday or tuesday and have to take a trip to the depot (4 miles away) next weekend!

Stratmangler
29-04-2012, 00:53
Mine arrived in the post this morning - I've yet to try it downstairs with the FH3s, but it's sounding nice with the (running in) Gale 3010s speakers in my son's room.

Steveh100
29-04-2012, 09:09
Hi

Am I too late to add my name to the list?

Steve

Tim
29-04-2012, 09:41
Hi

Am I too late to add my name to the list?

Steve
Blimey, look at that - post number 1 on the forum is to try and get a members discount! :lol:

synsei
29-04-2012, 14:01
Just over 28 hours in and the Amptastic 'T' is really opening up now so let's begin with the one piece of constructive criticism I can level at this little marvel when compared to the Hafler: Bass. Whilst it is there the little 'T' just can't dig down quite as far as the more powerful Hafler but that is only to be expected and so I can forgive it that. Despite its lack of ultimate bass extension the 'T' provides a very pacey and tonally excellent bottom end which can really get ones foot tapping.

Midrange is absolutely stunning and exceptionally revealing. Female voices in particular are delivered with so much life and vigour together with multiple layers of tonal beauty that you simply can't help but be drawn into the performance. Feed it with a poor recording however and the 'Mini T' will not be diplomatic about it, it will lay it on the line and tell it like it is. Although the Amptastic T-Amp lacks the ultimate top end sparkle of the Hafler it is a close run thing. Detail levels are immense and yet there is not a hint of analytical coolness anywhere. This amp almost breaths, it is that open. The soundstage is immense with real width and depth, the 'T' places instruments and performers in the soundstage with absolute authority.

In summation I am absolutely staggered by what the Amptastic team have created here. I'm driving the Amptastic T-Amp with a Classe DR5 pre-amp and I am now wondering how much of an improvement there might be if I add another Mini T so the DM2's can have one each. I'm not certain how to go about connecting it all up however, any suggestions?

chelsea
29-04-2012, 14:09
Can't you just go red from the pre to red on one mini.
And black from the pre to black/white on the other mini?

synsei
29-04-2012, 14:45
I don't think it is that simple Stu. If I wire it up in that configuration I think I would only be utilizing one channel from each amp. I may as well just stick with the one I have in that case ;) The plan is to increase the power output to give a little more oomph to the bass by using the entire output from each Mini-T to drive just one speaker.

chelsea
29-04-2012, 14:51
Ah sorry.See what you mean.
I used one with a pair of 12" tannoys a couple of years ago and the only place i could fault it was the bass.

Tempted to try one with the AN/es i have.

synsei
29-04-2012, 14:58
Try it Stu it can't hurt ;)

Bass is just a tad light hence why I would be interested in trying the little experiment I mention above. In this configuration I'm hoping the Mini T's can dig that bit deeper in which case I would be a very happy bunny indeed because in most other respects the Mini T's outperform the Hafler significantly.

Macca
29-04-2012, 15:11
The reson I didn't go for one of these is that I don't have any loudspeakers (except maybe some JBL control 1) that it would have (IMO) sufficient power to drive. I did wonder if it would manage your DM2s, I think the criticisms you make (lack of low bass, lack of sparkle) are down to this lack of power and not necessarily attributes of the amp itself. Using one per side might just do it though, will be intersting to see the outcome if you decide to go for it.

keiths
29-04-2012, 15:17
I am now wondering how much of an improvement there might be if I add another Mini T so the DM2's can have one each. I'm not certain how to go about connecting it all up however, any suggestions?

I don't know if the mini-t can be 'bridged' to make it a mono block?

If not, then you could vertical bi-amp - if your speakers have 2 sets of terminals (I suspect they don't)

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818

synsei
29-04-2012, 15:49
I don't know if the mini-t can be 'bridged' to make it a mono block?

If not, then you could vertical bi-amp - if your speakers have 2 sets of terminals (I suspect they don't)

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818

Just a single pair of inputs per speaker unfortunately Keith. My solution is far from elegant but it may just work. What I am proposing to do is buy a pair of phono splitters and attach them to the left and right IC's from the pre-amp and then into the left and right rca inputs on each amp. Both left and right speaker outputs from each of the Mini T's would then feed just one speaker. Effectively one Mini T would handle each channel. Would this work?

Reid Malenfant
29-04-2012, 15:53
It can't be bridged as each channel is already a bridge anyway :D

The Grand Wazoo
29-04-2012, 16:30
Dave, scurry off down to the AoS Library for this article (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818)about bi-wiring & bi-amping. Barry wrote an excellent description and some idiot did some diagrams.

The Grand Wazoo
29-04-2012, 16:32
If you connect it properly for vertical bi-amping, as described in the above article, then it is a monoblock - no bridging required!

synsei
29-04-2012, 16:40
That is how I was hoping it would work. The DM2's aren't bi-wirable they having only a single pair of inputs, I assume this won't be a problem as long as I can find an effective solution to allow me to connect up two pairs of banana plugs to the speakers? I don't want to chop my Belkin speaker cables about you see ;)

The Grand Wazoo
29-04-2012, 16:46
Sorry I missed the fact that you would be using DM2's. Unless you split the crossover, you'll have to use one amp channel.

Reid Malenfant
29-04-2012, 16:47
That is how I was hoping it would work. The DM2's aren't bi-wirable they having only a single pair of inputs, I assume this won't be a problem as long as I can find an effective solution to allow me to connect up two pairs of banana plugs to the speakers? I don't want to chop my Belkin speaker cables about you see ;)
Don't do it, you'll end up with a popped amplifier unless they current share precisely & have the same DC offset.

If you'd had seperate input on the back of the speakers for bass/mid & treble then you could bi amp. As it is it'd be bye bye amp :D

synsei
29-04-2012, 17:23
Ah well, bang goes that idea then... :lol:

electric beach
30-04-2012, 07:03
Mine arrived in the post this morning - I've yet to try it downstairs with the FH3s

Ooh, best you do Chris :eyebrows:

Leave the amp powered up for a couple of days also.

Canetoad
30-04-2012, 08:37
I have mine connected to an HRT Streamer II and a set of JBL Control 1 speakers. Sounds very good in the home office! :)

Reid Malenfant
30-04-2012, 10:19
A Tonka toy amp arrived this morning :eyebrows: Just messing, but stick it next to my KSA250 & you'll understand where I'm coming from :D

Hopefully get a chance to get it boogying later on after the weekly shop :)

Tim
30-04-2012, 11:24
My Mini T has just been delivered, but I don't have time to play today, will have to wait for the weekend :)

Thanks for the great service Chris.

keiths
30-04-2012, 16:05
I've yet to try it downstairs with the FH3s

I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the Mini-T/FH3 combo, Chris.

electric beach
30-04-2012, 18:49
I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the Mini-T/FH3 combo, Chris.

I've done it Keith ;)

With the MA CHP70 drivers' natural tone and the Frugal's "hang in the air" presentation, the extended upper frequencies and precise soundstage of the Mini-T seemed like a very complimentary match to me. The tight bass control also suited the Frugal's design well. Front end was a Touch with MCRU power supply.

Another reason to get out in that shed! :lol:

keiths
30-04-2012, 19:02
I've done it Keith ;)

With the MA CHP70 drivers' natural tone and the Frugal's "hang in the air" presentation, the extended upper frequencies and precise soundstage of the Mini-T seemed like a very complimentary match to me. The tight bass control also suited the Frugal's design well. Front end was a Touch with MCRU power supply.

That encouraging - my FH3s will have the Mark Audio CHP70s (the original version - not the MK2s with the rolled-off HF). Hopefully I'll be able to try a Mini-T with them.

Another reason to get out in that shed! :lol:

No shed, unfortunately (well, not one that you could actually work in) - it's all being done outside. I actually managed a couple of hours this evening. I've now got all 4 side panels cut and one of the internal pieces done. Might be finished sometime before Christmas :lol:

RichB
30-04-2012, 19:24
as predicted, a red card from the postie when i got home tonight... will be the weekend before i get a chance to collect it. Cant wait

Reid Malenfant
30-04-2012, 19:27
as predicted, a red card from the postie when i got home tonight... will be the weekend before i get a chance to collect it. Cant wait
At least you know where it is :)

Have fun when you get it :D No time to play with my Mini-T today, maybe tomorrow...

LittleTone
30-04-2012, 20:06
My Mini T arrived on Saturday; very quick delivery; Thanks Chris.
For its' price and size very impressive. Wont replace my Rega Brio R in my main system, doesn't seem to have enough muscle to drive my NEAT Mystique 2's as well as the Rega. I've used it with a PC running Foobar into a pair of Royd Doublets. To be fair though; both both Speakers are fairly inefficient ( 86db ). Would expect it to sound great ( as everyone has said )with more efficient boxes.
Certainly no regrets and would thoroughly recommend it with efficient boxes
Tony

aquapiranha
30-04-2012, 20:15
Must.....resist....arrgghhhh

I am sure this would make the Bantam jealous..

wee tee cee
02-05-2012, 14:07
Got my pair this afternoon.... I'm wondering how long they need to settle down, they seem a tad bright. Only had them on for an hour or so but initial impressions are OK. Sound quite different to the temple amps I have been running.
Tony.

synsei
02-05-2012, 15:37
It took mine about three days for the tonal balance to even out Tony. Whilst it doesn't offer prodigious amounts of bass after burn in, what is there is very well controlled. The Amptastic Mini T really shines when playing music with fairly sparse arrangements so folk, jazz and small orchestral ensembles sound lovely. It does become a little over-awed by large scale orchestral works and huge rock productions for example where the sound tends to lack gravitas and can sound a bit hard and brittle.

wee tee cee
02-05-2012, 17:28
Dave,
Thanks for that, they seem to be changing hour by hour. I'm hoping the hint of sibilance settles down. For the money they are bloody good.....well, bloody good, period!
My son gave them a wee listen and preferred them to my four temple mono blocks.
I re-installed the original bantum last night with a maplins PSU, to my ears it sounded lovely.
The T amps really let you taste something special for pocket money prices.
Tony.

synsei
02-05-2012, 19:06
Mine replaced my Hafler power amp early on Saturday morning Tony and it has been in use almost constantly since. I have no plans to reinstall the Hafler anytime soon so it must be doing summat right... :lol:

Reid Malenfant
02-05-2012, 19:12
I'll be giving the Mini-T a spin probably tomorrow now I have found a pair of decent speakers....

Right in front of me, damn near :doh: :lol:

You used them to put your coffee on Dave, to the left hand side :eyebrows:

synsei
02-05-2012, 19:13
:lol: Great minds think alike, I've just sought confirmation of that from you in your Gallery thread... :D

Barry
02-05-2012, 19:50
Mine arrived today.

Can't believe it will source 20W per channel from a li'll iddy-biddy box about the size of a couple of fag packets.

Will 'play' with it tomorrow and run it into a pair of Eltax speakers. Then I'll try it out into a pair of B&W DM2a speakers, and finally (if I have the courage!) into a pair of Quad ESLs (57).

It will be an entry level experience of class D amplification. If successful it could lead on to a pair of Nuforce amps. (?)

My only real concern at the moment is the 13A plug fitted to the power supply mains lead is not fused! As soon as I comfirm the amp does indeed work, that plug will be cut off, thrown away and replaced with a decent Crabtree plug conforming to BS1363.

synsei
02-05-2012, 20:25
Hi Barry, my Mini T is driving a pair of DM2's (not the a's though) and it drives them with ease ;)

Darren
02-05-2012, 21:00
Mine arrived today.

Can't believe it will source 20W per channel from a li'll iddy-biddy box about the size of a couple of fag packets.

My only real concern at the moment is the 13A plug fitted to the power supply mains lead is not fused

It really is the oddest little mains plug. But the amp is a little cutey.

Griffy
02-05-2012, 21:51
Yes the mains lead is a concern as it doesn't look to be fused so I used an alternative lead instead.

I'm not sure if the lead supplied contains a fuse inside (not replaceable, obviously) but if not then Amptastic need to fix this quick. I'm 99% sure that goods sold in the uk must meet uk electrical safety standards, so a fused plug is mandatory!

Barry
02-05-2012, 21:54
Yes the mains lead is a concern as it doesn't look to be fused so I used an alternative lead instead.

I'm not sure if the lead supplied contains a fuse inside (not replaceable, obviously) but if not then Amptastic need to fix this quick. I'm 99% sure that goods sold in the uk must meet uk electrical safety standards, so a fused plug is mandatory!

That's what I will do. And yes you are right, the mains lead as supplied does not meet UK standards.

Jonboy
02-05-2012, 21:55
didn't bother with my plug lead either this time but have used one in the past on my previous one with no problems

Reid Malenfant
02-05-2012, 22:00
I'm not sure if that is strictly true, after all, the old 15A round pin plugs are still legal & they had no fuses ;)

The fuse is there to protect the cable feeding the PSU. The PSU probably has some kind of fuse internally, so as long as you don't go cutting through the mains cable or have rats chewing on it I don't see why your mains cable will be damaged...

Ok, so odd things do happen, but assuming you are normal & don't have rats or feel like getting the hedge clippers out in your front room I reckon you'll be ok :D

synsei
02-05-2012, 22:15
Or you could just replace the mains lead for something better, like an MCRU No14 mains cable like I did... ;)

EDIT: Oh dear, been suggested already... :doh: :D

Griffy
02-05-2012, 22:19
Because typical British ring circuits can deliver more current than appliance flexible power cords can handle, BS 1363 plugs are required to carry a cartridge fuse.[14] The fuse is manufactured to BS 1362. The maximum load that can be placed on a socket is 13 A; triple and larger sockets are fitted with a 13 A fuse of the same type used in the plugs. The former BS546 standard relied on different sized sockets, and fuses installed at the consumer unit to protect both the permanent wiring and the appliance flexible cord.

15amp plugs and sockets no longer meet Current British Standards.

If you have old equipment with old plugs, then all is fine, but new equipment must meet the new standards!

Primary legislation: These Regulations constitute “safety regulations” under section
11(1) of the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
Supply of Electrical Devices: Specified plugs, adaptors and fuse links or cartridge
fuse links for specified plugs, sockets and adaptors must comply with the specified
standard, see Regulation 4 and Definitions in Regulation 3. However regulation 3(3)
does recognize that where compliance to a British Standard is required a standard or
specification recognized in another Member State may be used provided it gives an
equivalent level of safety. A notified body must approve plugs to BS1363 (standard
plugs) and conversion plugs. Where the use of a notified body is required, the
notified body may approve products which provide an equivalent level of safety to
the specified standard.
Supply of Electrical Equipment: Specified domestic electrical equipment intended
to be connected to the mains power supply via plug and socket outlet is required to
be supplied fitted with a standard plug or conversion plug, see Regulation 12.

Barry
02-05-2012, 22:20
I'm not sure if that is strictly true, after all, the old 15A round pin plugs are still legal & they had no fuses ;)

The fuse is there to protect the cable feeding the PSU. The PSU probably has some kind of fuse internally, so as long as you don't go cutting through the mains cable or have rats chewing on it I don't see why your mains cable will be damaged...

Ok, so odd things do happen, but assuming you are normal & don't have rats or feel like getting the hedge clippers out in your front room I reckon you'll be ok :D

The old 15A round pin connectors were used on a radial system wherein every socket was individually fed by a cable of 15 or 20A rating and protected by a 15A fuse and were designed to supply loads of between 1kW and 3kW, such as electric fires. They were not intended to supply low consumption loads such as radios, TVs or reading lights. For that there was the 5A plug and socket and the 2A plug and socket. One could use a 15A to 5A adaptor, but that too was fitted with a 5A fuse. Many 2A and 5A plugs were fused internally.

As it stands, the plug fitted to the power supply lead does not conform to BS1363 and is therefore illegal.

Griffy
02-05-2012, 22:28
Just to be clear that I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all.

Just a warning to other users to swap out the supplied cable, and to Amptastic to change the cables before they get caught out!

Barry
02-05-2012, 22:36
Just to be clear that I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all.

Just a warning to other users to swap out the supplied cable, and to Amptastic to change the cables before they get caught out!

That neatly sums it up Dave! Let's leave things there, before we go round and around and end up with our head up our arse.

Reid Malenfant
02-05-2012, 22:43
Not wanting to go there again I'll shut up & defer to Barry & Dave ;)

In all honesty a 60W PSU is very low power so any fuse in the mains line (even if it's a 3Amp fuse - 750W @ 250V!) shouldn't be a problem :)

Always best to be safe than sorry at the end of the day :cool:

amptastic
03-05-2012, 07:46
Hi all, glad the amps are all arriving / have arrived now!

Loving all the feedback - keep it up guys, we've got some really exciting mods and upgrades both physical and internal coming up:

We'd love to hear what you'd like to see/think about a) features b) design c) value for money

The mains power lead is not unsafe however as an output of this conversation we're going to switch to a different supplier for our power leads.
If anyone wants to swap out their kettle lead just drop us a line at sales@amptastic.com

Happy listening everyone :hairmetal::thumbsup:

RichB
03-05-2012, 10:56
If anyone wants to swap out their kettle lead just drop us a line at sales@amptastic.com

Cheers Chris. I have sent email.

amptastic
03-05-2012, 11:24
All received & replied :)
Customer service comes first in our small company.

Cheers Chris. I have sent email.

synsei
03-05-2012, 12:24
I had a spare mains lead handy Chris so I'm good ta... :D

Tim
03-05-2012, 18:22
No worries here Chris, but the offer is appreciated - I swapped mine out with a spare straight away - I have more than enough kettle leads from computer builds ;)

Jonboy
03-05-2012, 19:14
i have more than enough kettle leads

Same here Chris, i've got lots kicking around

Thanks for the prompt and friendly service

wee tee cee
03-05-2012, 20:06
How are they sounding in your set up.....mine are coming on song nicely...

Reid Malenfant
03-05-2012, 20:48
Likewise, loads of IEC leads so no worries :)

Cheers for the offer of a swapout though.

Griffy
03-05-2012, 21:15
I'm feeding mine with an Ipod classic, its sounding a lot better than a few days ago, most impressive!

Mr Nad
03-05-2012, 21:29
Hm, it's not rats I have, but two very curious rabbits. And let me tell you that rabbits and cable are enemies. It there is a cable within 10 meters of a rabbit, the rabbit will hunt it down and gnaw it into inch long pieces in the blink of an eye.

I've lost numerous telephones, headphones, and computer mice to rabbits over the years.

I think I'd better contact Amptastic about replacements. I don't want my little friends to fry!

Folkboy
03-05-2012, 23:46
Hm, it's not rats I have, but two very curious rabbits. And let me tell you that rabbits and cable are enemies. It there is a cable within 10 meters of a rabbit, the rabbit will hunt it down and gnaw it into inch long pieces in the blink of an eye.

I've lost numerous telephones, headphones, and computer mice to rabbits over the years.

I think I'd better contact Amptastic about replacements. I don't want my little friends to fry!
Rabbits in your hifi room? Are they some kind of environmentally green bass traps?

synsei
04-05-2012, 00:50
Rabbits in the listening room? It must be hellish having to put up with the constant "Nyeeeeh, what's up doc?" 's during quiet passages in the music... :lol:

amptastic
04-05-2012, 06:51
A small update: all 5A PSU come with a different style IEC kettle lead with a user accessible fuse - we hope that this solves any previous worries by AoS members.

Many thanks and no need to worry. The PSU is internally fused also. The 2A plug top version has an internal fuse as well.

amptastic
04-05-2012, 06:55

What genre do the rabbits prefer? :)

Thanks for the email, this is not a problem. By the way, fuse or no fuse pleaaase dont let them eat through any brand of mains cables. Poor little things wouldn't enjoy the taste.

electric beach
04-05-2012, 11:27
[QUOTE=wee tee cee;321519]I'm hoping the hint of sibilance settles down. QUOTE]

Morning all ;)

I've had Mini-Ts for a while now and heard them in a few rooms and systems. I do admire this amp for it's speed and transparency, it's total silence and dynamics. When I bought the S-Booster for the Squeezebox Touch from Mark Grant I also tried it on the amp and was surprised to hear it had pretty much the same effect. The 2amp power supply had a jack size adaptor that allowed this but the 5amp one doesn't. Chris has sent me an adaptor to try again and here's a quick asessment of the difference I think it makes. The comparison is with a standard lead, no preamp and driving 96db wide range Fostex that are fairly bright, forward and very revealing. The amp was left powered up for 24 hours from new; I do think the Mini-T benefits from being left on and ideally for a minimum of a two or three days.

I first noted four areas that appeared negative. I wanted to see if the filter improved these and at what compromise; the amp's strengths are well reported already.

1. The top end, as WTC stated, seemed quite extended but grainy, hard and prone to sibilance.
2. The bass was light but tight. More influencial was that it had no authority and just seemed to be along for the ride.
3. Maybe because of this frequency balance, I got unnatural (forced) and unusual accents to familiar music, like listening to a different recording take or a remix.
4. In an associated way, once past the conscious awareness of the level of upper frequency detail coming across I felt the presentation was disjointed and two dimensional. Not as in depth of soundstage but in pace and the dynamics of a musician's playing. Kind of "everything louder than everything else". I knew there was so much more in the recordings from a musical point of view and became disengaged.

With the S-Booster in line:

1. The top end became "tamed". It didn't get more refined and possibly the negative effects were being masked, not cured. If you find an original lack of sparkle then you may not like this, could be speaker dependent. The tendency to sibilance and grainyness (is that even a word?) could still be noted but were no longer calling for attention.
2. Bass became stronger, quite bouncy and more textured - but still not a driving force. Can't fix that one.
3. Now we're cooking, this sounded like a different amp. The whole presentation appeared balanced and musically correct, all set against a darker background. The overall feeling was relaxed and easy but at the expense of that obviously brightly lit clarity. Sounded like a more mature, grown up amp - father of the teenager Mini-T.
4. For me the most crucial difference. A more analogue presentation allowed - no, almost forced me to be drawn into the 3D soundstage to revel in the detail. Now there was musical tension, light and shade to the playing, heartfelt phrasing and emotion, access to a whole canvas of subtler elements that the Mini-T's speed can uncover. Completely engaging without fatigue.

Whether it's right for you is possibly going to depend on how bright or cuddly your speakers are. At the price it possibly makes a more sensible upgrade to a £60 amp than a linear supply, which obviously also addresses the issue of the noisy SMPS but probably better, as the S-Booster filter only looks to the amp and doesn't prevent the SMPS effect on other components. I'm sure Mark Grant will be understanding with purchase for trialling as this is not the intended or advertised use and will be subject to your system and power arrangements.

Hope this is useful to some of you at least. Personally I think the improvement at 50% of the amp cost doubles the performance and I wouldn't be happy long term without it.

Mark Grant
04-05-2012, 16:17
Interesting Steve.:) thanks.

Can anyone measure how many milliamps or amps the amplifier draws from the PSU at a fairly loud volume ?

It might be possible to power some makes of DAC and the amplifier from the same after market linear PSU which would save buying two power supplies.

wee tee cee
04-05-2012, 17:59
I seemed to have got the wee buggers singing properly. I initially had one on each channel running tq black on the treble and blue on the bass.
Too sibilant and bass light.
Tried slotting an original bantum in running the treble with the tq black. The mini t on bass with tq blue. The soundstage improved but finding a balance sonically was problematic to say the least.
re-installed the other mini t and ran one amp on treble switching to the tq blue and the other on bass duties on tq black.....mmmm pretty good. the sibilance is now resolved.
tony.

Reid Malenfant
04-05-2012, 18:05
Can anyone measure how many milliamps or amps the amplifier draws from the PSU at a fairly loud volume ?

It might be possible to power some makes of DAC and the amplifier from the same after market linear PSU which would save buying two power supplies.
I'll take care of that for you when I eventually get round to wiring it up :eyebrows: Sorry guys, but I haven't stopped listening to this Extron I have here since I wired it up, it's pretty addictive :D

Running two things off of the same PSU is possible, the problem is that you may get odd ground related interference between them as you'll get a loop formed via the grounds & interconnects. Maybe not the best idea for ultimate fidelity...

Mr Nad
04-05-2012, 18:30
What genre do the rabbits prefer? :)

...pleaaase dont let them eat through any brand of mains cables. Poor little things wouldn't enjoy the taste.

You think I let them? Rabbits pretty much have a will of their own. Although they can be trained to return to their cage on demand, they learn to recognise their names, are playful, and are easily litter trained, they just can't resist cables.

And cables in a dark place are even more irresistible.

Important, expensive, cables concealed behind a cabinet that it inaccessible to humans... well, that is just heaven to rabbits.

The listening room is the living/dining room, and that's also happens to be where the bunnies live. They are very much part of the family. And if it came to hi-fi or rabbits, the rabbits would win :mental::D

In the past 14 years not a single pair of headphones has survived, no corded phone or answering machine, mains cables have been partially severed, and therefore rendered too dangerous to use, remote controls have lost buttons, not a single piece of furniture has been spared the wrath of rabbit teeth... One day our previous rabbit went missing. We could hear her, but couldn't see her. Suddenly she appeared. It took a while, but we eventually discovered the hole in the armchair.

Anyway, believe me, I have no intention of letting them near the cables and will do to keep them (cables and rabbits) safe.

Reid Malenfant
05-05-2012, 11:20
Mini-T now doing it's thang :eyebrows:

First impressions are it does some decent bass & everything sounds quite nice.

Not that different from the Extron... Lets see what a few days & some power (well what it's capable of doing) do to free things up :D

Where's the remote control? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

RichB
05-05-2012, 12:50
Mine is now being run in as part of my second system driving Mission 760 SE (89bD 6ohm).... initial thoughts are all positive, a lot to like here... right now its making my stock a400 blush... I feel sorry for the old trooper... all these years of service and put to shame by a £60 young pretender.

This wee amp should come with a health warning as it makes you change your music choices, I've been throwing techno at it all morning and its begging for more..(i dont usually do techno!)

Reid Malenfant
05-05-2012, 12:58
This wee amp should come with a health warning as it makes you change your music choices, I've been throwing techno at it all morning and its begging for more..(i dont usually do techno!)
It also appears to have a habit of making you want to turn up the volume :eyebrows:

This is quite amazing, I wish it had a clipping light as the volume it's doing is daft, with seriously deep bass to. I can actually feel it :eek: :rfl:

Reid Malenfant
05-05-2012, 13:21
Finally found the clipping point. Interesting, unlike a normal solid state amp it clips pretty softly. I'm guessing that the output filter is helping there as it's limiting the bandwidth.

I can see why there are comparisons to tube amps in the above respect..

This thing still has no right to make the sound it does :D More than enough power for a kitchen setup unless you have a kitchen the size of which Gordon Ramsey could afford :rfl:

Tim
05-05-2012, 13:23
More than enough power for a kitchen setup . . .
That's where mine is going Mark - just need some speakers now and may get the Wharfedale Diamonds

Reid Malenfant
05-05-2012, 13:27
That's where mine is going Mark - just need some speakers now and may get the Wharfedale Diamonds
Well mine's driving Townshend Glastonburys & doing an exemplary job of it which is quite astonishing :eek:

They are a tad too big for a standard kitchen though :eyebrows:

electric beach
05-05-2012, 14:41

You might think about the Monitor Audio BX1, or even better the BX2, for the sensitivity. I didn't hear the combo for myself but a friend was very satisfied. There's quite a difference with this amp between driving speakers to a decent volume and getting the dynamics and speed that are possible.

I tried my Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s and although there was no problem, you wouldn't have thought the amp was anything special through them.

electric beach
05-05-2012, 15:07
It also appears to have a habit of making you want to turn up the volume :eyebrows:

This is quite amazing, I wish it had a clipping light as the volume it's doing is daft, with seriously deep bass to. I can actually feel it :eek: :rfl:

I'm so pleased you are hearing what's possible Mark. Now you know why I thought it was worth fixing mine when it had it's little, er, accident ;)

If it had a sweeter top end then I'd have real trouble putting my SET back in the game, the connection with the music is excellent. Actually when I factor back in the things the 1.5w SET doesn't do, then it's very difficult. The Mini-T has more boogie factor, better bass, more excitement and is happy with a far wider range of genres and recording qualities.

In fact I'm going to keep a dual amp setup especially to use it for movies (2.1). Last night we watched Tyrannosaur with it (plus sub). Not a film filled with your typical movie soundtrack but it kept drawing our attention to it; some of the dialogue is not particularly easy to follow but it was crystal clear, the tone of Peter Mullen's voice was wonderful and I had to rewind to believe the sound of plectrum on nylon strings from Chris Wheat's guitar.

RichB
05-05-2012, 15:10

I'd agree with that... I've had it to rave levels today:lol:

Also surprising bass from this amp, i revisited one the tracks from the album club 'Rainbow Wings' by Eagle Eye Cherry, I've not felt bass like that from the wee missions before.

Right now its making a good job of the varied selection offered by radio paradise, I'd agree with other folk that it prefers less busy sounding music, Bob Marley, Tracey Chapman & Harry Manx all sound fab though.

RichB
05-05-2012, 15:16
The Mini-T has more boogie factor

Yep, thats definately how i'd describe them... theres even been a bit of dancing in Casa Richb today...

My mate is having a birthday party in a couple of weeks time and I'm gonna take the mini t along to drive his tannoy dual concentrics... I reckon it'll get the party going.

electric beach
05-05-2012, 15:42
Yep, thats definately how i'd describe them... theres even been a bit of dancing in Casa Richb today...

My mate is having a birthday party in a couple of weeks time and I'm gonna take the mini t along to drive his tannoy dual concentrics... I reckon it'll get the party going.

And the tongues :lol:

synsei
05-05-2012, 18:39
What a difference a week makes. The Mini T is now delivering astonishing bass. It does it all and I highly doubt the Hafler is going to get a look in now. A truly amazing bit of kit... :stalks:

electric beach
05-05-2012, 20:00
Leave the amp powered up for a couple of days. ;)

Dave, are you using the Classe Audio preamp into the Mini-T or on it's own?

synsei
05-05-2012, 20:05
The Classe is feeding the 'T' yes ;) I'm playing Paul Simons Graceland at the mo and it sounds bloody fabulous... :D

Mr Nad
05-05-2012, 21:04
Oh, yes, Graceland sounds superb. I have the remastered recording, and the harmonies are so sweet.

RichB
06-05-2012, 17:37
Now the mini t is in my main system driving the Rega RS3s (89bD) with some ease, I'm feeding the amp via the pre-outs from my Arcam Solo Neo and belkin silver series RCAs. The mini t is set to 3oclock and its a totally different presentation to the Arcam's own 50w amp, more forward sounding and lots of fun. I found the t-amp clipping when up full and making a strange buzz but turning the dial back a bit quicky sorts this out. The mini t lacks some of the bass grunt of the Arcam but strangley keeps it all together quite well. The Arcam really shines as a source/pre-amp and i think the little mini t will be handling power duties for some time to come. I'm not prepared to say its better than the arcam's own amp, rather that its different and for now quite enjoyable. I usually enjoy the more laid back sound of the arcam which is why i chose it but this is making quite a nice change and i'm hearing so much detail in the music.

In summary I think the mini t on its own is a great little amp but match it with a a decent pre-amp and prepare to be amazed. Mrs B has even dug all her old Cure cds out to hear them again and she never normally has requests instead just puts up with my choices.

Looks wise the mini t fits right in with my system, now if i could only find a silver case for my Beresford DAC then we'd be all set!

synsei
06-05-2012, 19:17
I concur with your comment about using a pre-amp Richard. On its own the Mini-T is quite special, however when hooked up to the DR5 it positively sings and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there is this most amazing synergy between the Classe, the Mini-T and the B&W DM2's. In a little over a week the wee Amptastic amp has really opened up and it has even developed a deeper side as bass is quite spectacular now ;)

wee tee cee
07-05-2012, 12:39
My two are improving daily....I haven't felt the need to re-install the four temple mono blocks. I feel the monos shade the mini on sound stage and grunt but lack the speed and ability with voices the mini has. I'm very happy with them .
Tony.

Tim
07-05-2012, 12:49
I have finally got round to hooking mine up, I only have speakers from a Monitor Audio iDeck in use at the moment, but there is a big improvement over using the iDeck on its own, which was very boomey and rather unpleasant when listening to vocals. I record all the Bob Harris shows and this is what I listen to in the kitchen, but the sound was very muddled through the iDeck, probably due to the speakers being quite enclosed on top of the kitchen cabinets.

I have a very clearly defined sound now using the Mini T, so already I am pleased. I just need to get some decent speakers now.

This is an iDeck - it sounds OK for what it is, but is very limited;

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/ideckblack.jpg

amptastic
11-05-2012, 09:16
Now the mini t is in my main system driving the Rega RS3s (89bD) with some ease, I'm feeding the amp via the pre-outs from my Arcam Solo Neo and belkin silver series RCAs. The mini t is set to 3oclock and its a totally different presentation to the Arcam's own 50w amp, more forward sounding and lots of fun. I found the t-amp clipping when up full and making a strange buzz but turning the dial back a bit quicky sorts this out. The mini t lacks some of the bass grunt of the Arcam but strangley keeps it all together quite well. The Arcam really shines as a source/pre-amp and i think the little mini t will be handling power duties for some time to come. I'm not prepared to say its better than the arcam's own amp, rather that its different and for now quite enjoyable. I usually enjoy the more laid back sound of the arcam which is why i chose it but this is making quite a nice change and i'm hearing so much detail in the music.

In summary I think the mini t on its own is a great little amp but match it with a a decent pre-amp and prepare to be amazed. Mrs B has even dug all her old Cure cds out to hear them again and she never normally has requests instead just puts up with my choices.

Looks wise the mini t fits right in with my system, now if i could only find a silver case for my Beresford DAC then we'd be all set!

Great to hear that you (and the mrs!) are loving the Mini T, we're glad that it fits in well with the rest of your gear. Thanks again from everyone at ATUK

My two are improving daily....I haven't felt the need to re-install the four temple mono blocks. I feel the monos shade the mini on sound stage and grunt but lack the speed and ability with voices the mini has. I'm very happy with them .
Tony.

Hi Tony very insightful, thanks for your feedback! We get quite a bit of mail from prospective customers enquiring about the Bantam vs Amptastic gear.

I concur with your comment about using a pre-amp Richard. On its own the Mini-T is quite special, however when hooked up to the DR5 it positively sings and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there is this most amazing synergy between the Classe, the Mini-T and the B&W DM2's. In a little over a week the wee Amptastic amp has really opened up and it has even developed a deeper side as bass is quite spectacular now ;)

Would love to see a photo of that set up! Any chance? :eyebrows:

I have a very clearly defined sound now using the Mini T, so already I am pleased. I just need to get some decent speakers now.

Kitchens loooove the Mini T, all joking aside there are many great smallish sized speakers that you can get for such locations. If you're on a budget there are plenty of bargains to be had on that rather large auction site. On another thread here people were talking about how the Gale Gold were decent. We've got some gloss white Q2020i's in the kitchen, Mini T (naturally)
fed by an AirPort express.

Oh, yes, Graceland sounds superb. I have the remastered recording, and the harmonies are so sweet.

Fan-tastic track that Mr Nad!

amptastic
11-05-2012, 09:20
Oh we meant to post this earlier, but if you wondered what the Amptastic PSU looks like with the updated kettle lead. Wonder no longer ;)

http://i.imgur.com/8nZZL.jpg

RichB
11-05-2012, 10:30
I managed to dig out another fused kettle lead and used this from the off with my mini t.

Tim
11-05-2012, 19:54
Kitchens loooove the Mini T, all joking aside there are many great smallish sized speakers that you can get for such locations. If you're on a budget there are plenty of bargains to be had on that rather large auction site. On another thread here people were talking about how the Gale Gold were decent. We've got some gloss white Q2020i's in the kitchen, Mini T (naturally) fed by an AirPort express.
I have the Q2020i's shortlisted as a new option, but can't afford them at the moment, so I'm trying to decide if I should wait, or buy some second-hand speakers straight away :scratch:
I am very pleased already however, just using my iDeck speakers.

RichB
11-05-2012, 22:16
I know others have said try a cheap pair of Missions 760 or 780... I can vouch for them, lots of fun to be had there and no need ever to spend more than 50quid.

amptastic
12-05-2012, 12:37
I know others have said try a cheap pair of Missions 760 or 780... I can vouch for them, lots of fun to be had there and no need ever to spend more than 50quid.

Great recommendations there by RichB, we certainly agree. We've just seen some Gale Golds going for a few quid on the great auction site, bargain for someone's kitchen :whistle:

Canetoad
12-05-2012, 15:52
I'm just waiting on a set of Mission 760s I bought off Richard (Gromit) to arrive. I'll be trying them with my Mini-T soon. :)

DSJR
12-05-2012, 20:25
I'd like to pass on a comment made by Alex_UK to me yesterday. He's tried his Mini-T with a few different speakers now and it seems to him that this is a bit of a marmite amp depending on the speakers used - magical and musical at best and thin, flat-n-tinny at worst. You don't get owt for nowt in this world, but good luck anyway..

As for 760's - either time has worn out the tweeters, or you lot are all going as treble-deaf as me :D

Stratmangler
12-05-2012, 20:33
He's tried his Mini-T with a few different speakers now and it seems to him that this is a bit of a marmite amp depending on the speakers used - magical and musical at best and thin, flat-n-tinny at worst

That's why I've haven't got around to trying it with the FH3s (Mark Audio CHP-70 drivers) in the rig downstairs - even with the horn loading they're not the easiest of drives.
I might have a play tomorrow, but to be honest I'm not expecting too much.

On the other hand the Mini-T sounds lovely with the Gale 3010 in a nearfield situation.

electric beach
12-05-2012, 21:15
In my experience it's more context dependent; I had the amp with FH3/ CHP70 from a Touch in two different locations and it sounded wonderful. Took it to Toppsy's and the exact same combination sounded dreadful (thin, weak, etc). Adding the S-booster helped a lot but it likes to be powered up for a while and sorry Chris/Amptastic, but that SMPS is doing yourself and everyone else no favours. Chris has said that he's looking to change it, then maybe it won't be such a chameleon.

wee tee cee
13-05-2012, 01:00
I am bi-amping with two minis and had a wee experiment with a pair of whaferdale diamonds for £40 from richer sounds. They are tiny but sound pretty good for what they are....with the mini they need really careful placement but were good fun to play with. I am running the minis in my main system feeding tannoy f3s ,I think. Big floor standers that are easy to drive...really enjoyable to listen to as a combo. As they have settled down I have moved the TQ black to driving the treble and the blue to bass.
The mini t amps are good period....with some careful partnering they can produce some real magic.
Tony.

Alex_UK
13-05-2012, 09:39
I'd like to pass on a comment made by Alex_UK to me yesterday. He's tried his Mini-T with a few different speakers now and it seems to him that this is a bit of a marmite amp depending on the speakers used - magical and musical at best and thin, flat-n-tinny at worst.

Yep, that's true - although as Steve (Electric Beech) has said, it may also be context specific... I tried the Mini-T with the Wharfedale Diamond Pro at home, and they sounded a bit rubbish, and yet the same combination was received well at Scalford. Similarly, they sounded lousy with Kef Coda 9's at Scalford.

I use it powering Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3's in the dining room, and it sounds good, with plenty of volume for normal listening. With the Diamonds I was practically running it at full volume for anything other than background music.

Canetoad
13-05-2012, 10:46
I am bi-amping with two minis and had a wee experiment with a pair of whaferdale diamonds for £40 from richer sounds. They are tiny but sound pretty good for what they are....with the mini they need really careful placement but were good fun to play with. I am running the minis in my main system feeding tannoy f3s ,I think. Big floor standers that are easy to drive...really enjoyable to listen to as a combo. As they have settled down I have moved the TQ black to driving the treble and the blue to bass.
The mini t amps are good period....with some careful partnering they can produce some real magic.
Tony.

I have a pair of these and they sounded veiled and bass heavy connected to my Mini-T. I'm currently using a set of JBL Control 1s and they sound very transparent and detailed. Soundstage is pretty good too. If the Mission 760s improve the sound, good. If not I'll move them on. Worth a try though for the price. :)

Lee Henley
07-06-2012, 16:14
Oh well looks like Ive just joined the club myself, brought one from the link to ebay off here, hopefully its what Im looking for, for my upstairs imac system

Lee

technobear
05-07-2012, 18:59
Will there be a black version of this amp some time?

Tim
05-07-2012, 19:23
Mine went tits up yesterday unfortunately after only very occasional use. The On/Off switch has failed, you switch it on and the blue light around the volume control glows, but when you release pressure on the On/Off switch it dies, even though it is in the 'On' position. If you keep the switch fully depressed it stays on, but as soon as you let go, no power :(

DSJR
05-07-2012, 19:32
That's what guarantees are for :)

Tim
05-07-2012, 19:55
Hopefully Dave yes, but whatever happens its going to cost me, as it will have to be returned for a replacement. I cannot remember when I ever had anything electrical fail on me so soon after purchase, gear is so reliable these days. Not my lucky day I guess.

technobear
06-07-2012, 20:38
Will there be a black version of this amp some time?

:)

amptastic
06-07-2012, 21:53
We're currently developing a new case design - feedback on colour preference and design / finish very welcome.

There is no black (front panel) version of the current amp we're sad to say.

Any faults will be repaired/replaced under warranty, we aim to turn our returns round as fast as possible.

Get in touch!

technobear
06-07-2012, 22:18
We're currently developing a new case design - feedback on colour preference and design / finish very welcome.

I like the current case design. I just want it black, not silver.

If you want to make it wider, a second set of inputs with a selector on the front panel would I'm sure please a lot of people.

If you want to improve sound quality, you could replace the pot with a stepped attenuator assuming one could be found to fit. I know it would cost a bit more but it would be well worth it.

synsei
06-07-2012, 22:21
I'd like to see a power amp only version, preferably mono, then I'd take two... :D

technobear
06-07-2012, 22:31
I'd like to see a power amp only version, preferably mono, then I'd take two... :D

I could go for that too...

...but they would still have to be black and with subtle lights.

wee tee cee
07-07-2012, 08:57
Likewise, If a mono block version for the same money came out I would buy four.
My bi-amped mini t set up sounds very good, quite different to my four temple audio mono blocks. Lacking only in a bit of oomph.....faster and cleaner though.

electric beach
07-07-2012, 13:53

The increase in refinement from the improved channel seperation of two amps is quite considerable I've found. Undoubtably an improved volume control, with the internal one (and the preamp) bipassed would be even better. More space on the back panel and an additional input would be useful on the integrated amp. But now you're talking about breaking down the volume of units produced and the scale of economy that Chris at Amptastic has established to get the price where it is, so how much more would you expect to pay? :confused:

Chris, likewise for a black front panel version. It wouldn't be hard to spray the silver panel or cover it. :eyebrows:
One way to get a more authorative sound is to combine it with a small sub.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the things this design does so well, the speed and transparency, but I'd rather have it as the basis for a serious upgrade revision and accept the inevitable associated costs.

synsei
07-07-2012, 20:07
I'm not expecting any potential Amptastic monoblock amps to match the price of the integrated, although singly, I would hope they would be somewhere in the same ballpark as there would be some savings to the company due to them not needing to factor in a volume control. I drive my Mini-T with a Classe DR5 pre and in this configuration it provides plenty of bass oomph into a pair of B&W DM2's. A pair of T Class monoblocks should output at least 40watts into each speaker (compared with 20 watts per side from the Mini-T) which should provide even more bass heft and yet keep the speed and delicacy of the original. At least that is what I am hoping for :D

electric beach
07-07-2012, 21:34
If only it were that simple... :)

Lol
03-08-2012, 07:49
Please put me down for one.
Thanks!

The Grand Wazoo
03-08-2012, 07:52
Please put me down for one.
Thanks!

P9O6pCYyelA

You must be joking, right?
I guess the clue is in your name.

Barry
03-08-2012, 08:25
Wow - the Welcome Police are hot on the trail today! Only took 3 minutes to spot a first post that had not been made in the Welcome area.

You guys make G4S look like a bunch of amateurs (which of course they are). :lol:

Marco
03-08-2012, 08:47
Indeed... Lawrie, he get bugger all, but a thick ear, until he pop into the Welcome area and introduce himself, pronto! ;)

Marco.

Marco
03-08-2012, 09:37
Thanks, Lawrie, for being a good boy! :cool:

Marco.

hoopsontoast
03-08-2012, 12:46
AFAIK the TA2020 chip cant be tunred into a mono-block unless you just use one channel of one amp for each speaker.
I would be interesting in a Power amp version though, Really impressed with the Amptastic TA2020 with my 80dB Kolts.

The biggest problems I had when I borrowed Jerrys were the light being to bright and the unit being to small/lightweight as with the cables on the back pulling it backwards and lifting the front up. I stuck a Polished Agate Geode on top!
Maybe a slightly larger (Deeper) case with a little more weight might help.

DaveK
03-08-2012, 12:57
Don't know whether it's strictly relevant here but I have 2 x TA2020 Mini-Ts which are fed from a custom made RC source selector put together for me by Sean at Custom HiFi cables (whom I can highly recommend :) ) on which I deliberately requested 2 sets of output terminals for just this purpose. One Mini-T is fed by the left channel from both outputs and the second Mini-T similarly with the right channel.
Works fine for me :) .
FWIW both the Mini-Ts are powered by LiPo batteries and I think it did improve the SQ over the previous linear PSU through JLH Ripple Eaters.
Dave.

technobear
03-08-2012, 16:54
Don't know whether it's strictly relevant here but I have 2 x TA2020 Mini-Ts which are fed from a custom made RC source selector put together for me by Sean at Custom HiFi cables (whom I can highly recommend :) ) on which I deliberately requested 2 sets of output terminals for just this purpose. One Mini-T is fed by the left channel from both outputs and the second Mini-T similarly with the right channel.
Works fine for me :) .
FWIW both the Mini-Ts are powered by LiPo batteries and I think it did improve the SQ over the previous linear PSU through JLH Ripple Eaters.
Dave.

That's not monoblocking. That's bi-amping. :)

wee tee cee
03-08-2012, 17:17
going slightly off topic -but staying with t amps....I ordered a battery pack for my bushmaster.The BM went back and I was left with the battery pack, It just so happens to work with my original temple audio bantum. Sounds very good too, lasts about 4-5 hours in conjunction with a active pre.
My mini T is my favourite amp in my system BUT the bantum just does something really pleasant and warm......

DaveK
03-08-2012, 18:21
That's not monoblocking. That's bi-amping. :)

Yep, Chris, I did realise it was different, hence my opening sentence. The thread is about Mini-Ts so I thought it might have some relevance for some members.
Cheers,
Dave.

technobear
03-08-2012, 18:29
Yep, Chris, I did realise it was different, hence my opening sentence. The thread is about Mini-Ts so I thought it might have some relevance for some members.

So did you try it the other way - using one amp for bass and one for treble?

What did you find was the effect of using them left/right?

DaveK
03-08-2012, 19:09
Yes Chris,
I did try it initially with one doing the bass and one doing the treble and it was fine. Just to see what it sounded like I then had one doing the left and one doing the right and, to me, it sounded better so that's how it stayed.
I now have my HP amp doubling up as the sub-woofer amp so that is how it will remain for the time being.
One minor benefit, but not really worthwhile in it's own right, of having one doing left and one doing right is that it gives me a bit more freedom when deciding where to place my listening chair :lol: .
Dave.
BTW I had already bought mine, as a pair, direct from HK/China before the UK GB was proposed so mine may be different versions from the GB ones.