PDA

View Full Version : how on earth do I get the correct VTA settings?

Gmanuk101
18-04-2012, 07:30
Hi all

I've been doing my own head in trying to get the correct VTA settings on my SL1210mk2, and am really not sure if I am doing it right.

Using stock arm, with sumiko head shell and Nagaoka MP100 cart.(brand new)
Combined weight is 16g
Counter weight set to 1.5, antiSkate to 1.5.
Current height is set to 3.
Just using the stock rubber mat.

I played about with the height after playing a record on both sides to warm up the stylus, alignment done using the Baerwald Arc Protractor.

Am really not sure if I have the settings right, I mean it sounds great, but I wish the optimum to preserve the stylus and get the best out of my equipment.

Has anyone got the optimum VTA height at all? Or am simply asking a stupid question?

Thanks all

G

hifi_dave
18-04-2012, 11:53
The VTA changes with different record thicknesses and playing weights. You can drive yourself mad trying the various combinations but you won't go far wrong if the arm is parallel to the record surface with the stylus on the record.

prestonchipfryer
18-04-2012, 11:59
No need to get too bogged down about your VTA. If, as you say, the sound is good - then be happy with that.

:)

sq225917
18-04-2012, 14:54
Read this month's Stereophile, Mikey Fremer has a 'Damascus' moment when he realises what a twat he's been to worry about minuscule VTA adjustments.

hifi_dave
18-04-2012, 14:57
If only he'd read the Rega instructions 38 years ago..:doh:

worrasf
18-04-2012, 15:05
The VTA changes with different record thicknesses and playing weights. You can drive yourself mad trying the various combinations but you won't go far wrong if the arm is parallel to the record surface with the stylus on the record.

:exactly:

Just get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SME-3009-tonearm-spirit-level-headshell-set-up-/260989451583?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc42efd3f#ht_2218wt_966

Any of the offerings will do - doesn't have to be "for SME, Nottingham Analogue etc etc"

Easy way to get headshell parallel to record and you can set azimuth as well all for less than a tenner - simples

:)

Steve

Audioman
18-04-2012, 15:17
http://www.stereophile.com/images/041512MikeySeminar-600.jpg

Fremer realising VTA makes bugger all difference.:)

And to think he did a whole DVD on this.

hifi_dave
18-04-2012, 15:59
:lol:

Not to mention whatisface from Hi-Fi Plus..:scratch:

Gmanuk101
18-04-2012, 16:52
ok ok point taken ;) ;)

after peeing about for 20 mins I did the following

ensured to tonearm balanced correctly (seesaw)
aligned the cart using the protracter from vinyl engine
used my eyes and a small spirit level
sounds good

the downfall is due to the cart alignment I cant fit the sumiko headshell handle properly, no big deal though

Canetoad
18-04-2012, 19:32
Hi all

I've been doing my own head in trying to get the correct VTA settings on my SL1210mk2, and am really not sure if I am doing it right.

Using stock arm, with sumiko head shell and Nagaoka MP100 cart.(brand new)
Combined weight is 16g
Counter weight set to 1.5, antiSkate to 1.5.
Current height is set to 3.
Just using the stock rubber mat.

I played about with the height after playing a record on both sides to warm up the stylus, alignment done using the Baerwald Arc Protractor.

Am really not sure if I have the settings right, I mean it sounds great, but I wish the optimum to preserve the stylus and get the best out of my equipment.

Has anyone got the optimum VTA height at all? Or am simply asking a stupid question?

Thanks all

G

I checked when I got home from work. Mine is set to zero VTA, standard arm, Sumiko headshell, Nagaoka MP150 cartridge. The bubble is perfectly centred. Mat is Funk Acromat.

Hope this helps.

RobbieGong
18-04-2012, 20:38
http://www.stereophile.com/images/041512MikeySeminar-600.jpg

Fremer realising VTA makes bugger all difference.:)

And to think he did a whole DVD on this.

I'm no expert and I certainly dont know everything but one thing I do know is that one man or group will say A re; a certain thing and another man or group will say B. I always seek to find out and try myself. Same way this guy apparently says VTA makes bugger all difference there are others who are 'expert' in the field of hifi who say based on there own experience and love of music and hifi that it is a factor to be addressed and considered. Ok - Dont spend your whole life worrying and losing sleep over it but in my experience do include it in all the other set-up procedures, IF you are serious about trying to get your deck, system, music sounding as best as you can (otherwise whats the point). Let no man decide for you otherwise you may or may not miss out as far as getting the best out of your deck, vinyl replay and system. Common sense (and experience) plays it's part - Some cartridge / stylus's are agreed as a result of LOTS of guys like you and I buying them, trying them etc, to be not particularly VTA sensitive, while at the same time some, for the same reasons are known to have a profile that makes them partucularly sensitive to VTA / SRA. The highly polished nude Shibata on the Ortofon Jubilee and 2M Black is case in point - This is known and expressed all over the net, on all the hifi forums and by the manufacturer AND having lived my 2M black on my Techie with stock arm for sometime it is most definately the case in my experience. Ignore a bit of time fiddling with VTA on one of these at your peril cause miss out you will big time and be presented with the less special musical tool you could be truly enjoying. Like I said, your cart might not be particularly VTA sensitive but dont dismiss this in your set up, have a little go at seeing how things sound within small parameters and see what you find. Also hopefully you've read up plenty from a number of sources with regard to the cart you have and established it's characteristics ? surely ? Then unless you've done something seriously wrong or there's a negative factor within your system you should, if turntable set up has been done right or well, hear the characteristics that you decided suited you thus causing you to buy said cartridge. When mine is set up 'right' and VTA turned in ever so carefully as the final 'sweetspot' finder my cartridge displays all the characteristics that made me run out and spend on it what I didn't really have without regret. When it aint right, it lacks - honest !
Finally (you'll be relieved to know :lol:) I was reading some of the Choice Extras in the May edition of Hifi Choice. The reviewers comment re: one of the items featured (Isokinetik ISOvert 3P Dynamic VTA adjuster for use on any three point mounted Rega tonearm) read, quote: Rega are not a great believer in VTA adjustment, apart what is basically required to suit a particular make of cartridge. However, there are many people who believe ( as indeed I do!) that VTA fine-tuning is one of the many essential adjustments required for an optimal tonearm/cartridge setup procedure, which is where this adjuster comes in handy. Up to you. I know which group I belong to, from experience and not listening to 'It dont matter', hence the music is sweet.

Audioman
18-04-2012, 20:58
Robert. I couldn't resist having a humorous dig at Mr Fremer. Actualy I do have a lot of respect for him in keeping vinyl alive. The truth is VTA is important up to a point in as much as getting the arm/cartridge aligned as parallel as possible. The constant tweaking some people do for different thicknesses in vinyl is excessive compulsive behaviour though. Since many records are not entirely flat and even all 180g are not the same this is pretty pointless and gets in the way of playing music.

Some years ago Geoff Husband of TNT Audio wrote an article on VTA. In it he describes crossing swords with the ultimate deciple of VTA and a former magazine editor. Read the postscript at the bottom of the article.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Paul.

RobbieGong
18-04-2012, 21:07
Robert. I couldn't resist having a humorous dig at Mr Fremer. Actualy I do have a lot of respect for him in keeping vinyl alive. The truth is VTA is important up to a point in as much as getting the arm/cartridge aligned as parallel as possible. The constant tweaking some people do for different thicknesses in vinyl is excessive compulsive behaviour though. Since many records are not entirely flat and even all 180g are not the same this is pretty pointless and gets in the way of playing music.
Some years ago Geoff Husband of TNT Audio wrote an article on VTA. In it he describes crossing swords with the ultimate deciple of VTA and a former magazine editor. Read the postscript at the bottom of the article.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Paul.

Hi Paul, Totally agree. Set it properly with an average thickness record, get it where it sounds great / sounding right. Then sit down, leave alone and play ya tunes :D