PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 17.04.12: Spirit - 'Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus' (1970)

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2012, 23:37
Album Club 17.04.12: Spirit - 'Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus' (1970)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nUFa4V%2BEL._SS500_.jpg

Spotify:
spotify:album:0NWXyLhHhaeAmu4eovC8Ks

Wikipedia:
Album (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Dreams_of_Dr._Sardonicus)
Band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Dreams_of_Dr._Sardonicus)

This is the fourth Spirit album - it was a bit of a slow burner because it had the lowest chart position of all of their albums released up to that point, but after five years, it eventually went platinum & it remains their best seller. It was way ahead of its time in many ways, not least because of the way the studio manufactured pseudo-psychedelia effects seemed somehow much more than the apparently randomly selected array of noises that had appeared on previous releases by other bands up to that time.

Spirit were formed in 1967 and evolved out of a band called The Red Roosters. Needing a drummer, guitarist Randy California teamed up with his uncle, Ed Cassidy, who'd already had a career in bands with some of the giants of jazz: Thelonious Monk, Cannonball Adderley, Roland Kirk & Gerry Mulligan for starters. He had also been instrumental in starting a band called Rising Sons with two likely looking lads called Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.

California had already played in a little band called Jimmy James and the Blue Flames and had been strongly influenced by the band leader, his friend and fellow guitarist who later became known as Jimi something or other.

Spirit's first three albums sold well and were quite influential - take a listen to the track called 'Taurus' from their first album & then listen to 'Stairway to Heaven'.

The album took almost a year to make, partly because California had a horse riding accident, but also because of building personal tensions within the band, which caused a split soon after its release. Neil Young's favourite producer, David Briggs, got the job of sitting at the desk.

There wasn't really anything else like this record at the time of it's release, it's kind of loosely conceptual; the tracks are portrayed as dreams and they are exquisitely sequenced - an art that as been almost lost in the age of the iPod. Doctor Sardonicus was the studio mixing desk! It has a wee bit of Moog synth in it ('Love Has Found a Way' & 'Space Child'), the songs are pretty thoughtful and there are moments of true beauty captured in the grooves.

I got into it around the same time as I discovered Love's 'Forever Changes' and I consider it to be just as monumental a statement as that album. High spots for me are the best known track, 'Nature's Way', 'Animal Zoo' and 'Why Can't I Be Free'. I love the meaty brass section in 'Morning Will Come', the big kettle drum sound in 'Natures Way' and the harmonies in 'Nothing to Hide' but it's really one of those albums that should be listened to in the round - one of the reasons for AoS's Album Club.

Like all the albums I've championed so far in Album Club, I think it's been greatly overlooked as time has gone on.

I commend this record to the house.

Note - If you're listening to the album on Spotify, then be aware that the original release had 12 tracks (the 12 dreams) so the rest are slightly out of context

John
17-04-2012, 04:24
Its been a long time since I listened to this albim at the time I did not get into it be interesting to see where I am now
]I have found memories watching Randy play at the Marquee a few times very Jimi inspired sets

Beechwoods
17-04-2012, 06:22
I'm more than familiar with the track 'Morning Will Come' due to its inclusion on the CBS 'Together' compilation, which was absolutely formative in the development of my musical tastes... but I've never checked out the album. A very good choice, Chris :)

Audioman
17-04-2012, 11:34
Just listening on Spotify. Sounds good. For some reason I never investigated Spirit so this material is new to me. Just checked and this and other Spirit titles have been reissued by Sundazed. Chris your going to cost me more money !

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1101&osCsid=513947cc1b8dfe9c9e75667e4c32cbdc

John
17-04-2012, 17:14
I quite like this its funny how taste sometimes changes over the years.Some nice guitar work and remember Randy playing some of this stuff at the Marquee many years ago

The Grand Wazoo
17-04-2012, 17:35
Chris your going to cost me more money !

Excellent!
I'd recommend '12 Dreams', their first (self titled) album, 'The Family That Plays Together', and 'Clear' in that order.

The Grand Wazoo
17-04-2012, 17:36
I quite like this its funny how taste sometimes changes over the years.Some nice guitar work and remember Randy playing some of this stuff at the Marquee many years ago

I saw him in the early 80's in Brighton, it was a great gig and as you say, there was no confusion over who was his strongest influence!

Bazil
17-04-2012, 17:44
I've got a Best Of Spirit album in the loft, never really got into it.
Just Googled the cover and its not this one:-

http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-2478045-1286242239.jpeg

Reid Malenfant
17-04-2012, 21:14
I quite liked this, it reminded me of something that I have, but I don't know what it is right now :lol:

I actually wanted to turn it up, but then I remembered I'd get loud adverts all of a sudden :doh: I might actually give it another spin again soon.

7/10, had a bit of life to it! :D

MartinT
21-04-2012, 09:46
For some reason I can't play this through Spotify and my Touch as I get "This track is not available in your region", so I'm listening on the computer. This album is good and I don't know how I've overlooked Spirit all these years. Your comparison with the much better known Love is a good one. Think I'll have to buy the CD to play it on the 'big rig'. 8/10 from me.

Spectral Morn
21-04-2012, 22:09
ahhhh Spirit

Not listened to a Spirit album in years but this one is a great album as are the others Chris mentions. Randy's solo albums are pretty good too especially Kaptain Kopter and the Twirly Birds.

The 1977 album Future Games is a fave of mine, first Spirit album I bought, though in reality its a Randy California solo album.

Great stuff Chris.

I have this on vinyl so I will have a listen and remind myself what its like.

Regards D S D L

Barry
22-04-2012, 22:52
My only Spirit posession is: "The band that plays together", which I like very much.

I have however heard "Twelve Dreams ..." several times (on vinyl) and, I have to say, only found it 'OK'. Clearly I'm missing something - so on that account, where I would give it 7/10, owing to it's general reception I'll stick my neck out and give it 8/10.

Note to self - listen to it again soon!

keiths
23-04-2012, 15:54
This is new to me. I've played it couple of times (on Spotify) and am not really sure at the moment. I think I'd like it more if I heard it properly on vinyl.

I'll give it a few more spins before voting.

Tim
23-04-2012, 18:44
A new album to me and I gave it a listen today at work, but it didn't really grab me. I shall give it another play before making my mind up finally. It sounds very much like something else, but I cannot put my finger on it at the moment :scratch:

aquapiranha
24-04-2012, 14:42
I only have one Spirit album, and it is this one..

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/s/spirit/album-spirit.jpg

Still sounds fresh today, so I will have a good listen to the one mentioned and report back!

:)

Tim
24-04-2012, 16:23
Well I had another go, but not something I would listen to often. I gave it a 5/10 which matches your poll description perfectly.

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2012, 17:27
I spent some time listening in closely to this album last night and it struck me that, given some of the tracks have an environmentalist stance, it's hard to believe that the first track wasn't written more recently and is about global warming (it's supposed to be about the fear of the band's breakup due to internal arguments).

You have the world at your fingertips
No one can make it better than you
You have the world at your fingertips
But see what you've done to the rain and the sun
So many changes have all just begun, to reap
I know you're asleep
Wake Up

Reid Malenfant
24-04-2012, 17:38
It sounds very much like something else, but I cannot put my finger on it at the moment :scratch:
I have no idea why, but certain tracks made me think of Pink Floyd - Relics :scratch:

Whatever, I liked it :D

The Grand Wazoo
24-04-2012, 18:05
Well, it's great that you finally put your finger on what it reminds you of Mark. Things like that annoy the hell out of me until I sit bolt upright in bed at three in the morning and yell "I know what it was....."

MartinT
24-04-2012, 19:37
Things like that annoy the hell out of me until I sit bolt upright in bed at three in the morning and yell "I know what it was....."

Or exhibit the 'House face' as he suddenly reaches enlightenment about a diagnosis.

Bazil
25-04-2012, 13:58
Quite enjoyed this, couple of songs have stuck in my head. Might have bought it back in the 70's. 6/10.

aquapiranha
25-04-2012, 22:34
Well I listened to this last night while doing some work on the PC, and I think it is very good so it gets a 7 from me. Cheers.

Gmanuk101
26-04-2012, 12:45
Listening to this right now (FLAC), Am digging it quite a lot. Right up my street, sucker for the space and atmosphere in music, thanks for bringing this band to my attention!

sparrow
26-04-2012, 14:11
Bought this on vinyl on record store day and sadly not my cuppa tea..not a bad album just don't like it much. I also have Spirit's album Feedback and I like that one more than the former. 3/10 from me.

Bazil
01-05-2012, 12:40
Quite enjoyed this, couple of songs have stuck in my head. Might have bought it back in the 70's. 6/10.

I have indeed now purchased it, on vinyl from John :)

sparrow
01-05-2012, 14:15
I have indeed now purchased it, on vinyl from John :)

Your welcome Barry...do you like it?? I only listened to it twice & that was enough for me.

Bazil
02-05-2012, 12:18
Your welcome Barry...do you like it?? I only listened to it twice & that was enough for me.

Yeah its not bad and nice to have on vinyl as are most albums from that era.

MikeMusic
04-05-2012, 14:54
For some reason I can't play this through Spotify and my Touch as I get "This track is not available in your region", so I'm listening on the computer. This album is good and I don't know how I've overlooked Spirit all these years. Your comparison with the much better known Love is a good one. Think I'll have to buy the CD to play it on the 'big rig'. 8/10 from me.

Buy it Martin
Promise you will love it.
Not yet heard on my upgraded system so production may let it down

MikeMusic
04-05-2012, 14:56
Haven't played it since I started rating my albums
but
Almost certainly * rating
(Out of category - must keep playing continuously)

Can you change the rating system please
:)

Welder
27-07-2012, 18:46
I bought this album after hearing Natures Way.
At that time (70s) I remember playing it and feeling a bit disappointed and it got neglected.

During my change over from vinyl to CD>file I bought someone’s collection of CDs and this along with 3 other Spirit albums were in the collection.
I quite like this album now although I still have moments when Spirit going 'freestyle' pushes the wrong buttons.
Overall a decent album and worth hanging on to and playing from time to time.
Some excellent tracks but not a great album overall.
7/10

Bazil
29-11-2012, 19:01
I'm so glad I bought this album (vinyl btw) I play it regularly, as above Natures Way favorite track.

martinjohn308
08-12-2015, 08:49
I bought this album when it came out in 1970 great group fantastic guitar player seen him several times over the years. Every now and again i play it and never tire of it, sheer bliss.

Regards,

Martin