PDA

View Full Version : Hello, from a lurker!

jfs
12-04-2012, 23:36
Well, I've been a member of AoS since August 2010, but have not felt that any contribution that I may have to offer would be of much assistance to forum members. There are some very experienced people here and for that I am grateful, picking up hints and tips here and there has been most useful.
Perhaps a little history may give you a cut of my jib.
I started out in hifi back in 1972, with a Rotel 310 Amp, BSR Mcdonald ht70 turntable and the Wharfedale kit loudspeakers Unit 3's. Progression was/ has been slow due to a young family to provide for. Over the years amplifiers from Rotel, Quad, Salora, JVC, a Lyndsley Hood design and presently a Sugden a21a. I have also had the Sugden 21a 12wpc with a 21 tuner.
Turntables, Thorens 150 and 160, Garrard 401 and 301, Systemdek and of course the ubiquitous Dual 504. My present turntable is Goldring GL75 with heavy birch ply plinth and/or Mission 774 or Rega 251 arm with Denon DL160.
Loudspeakers, well I've had that many, mostly built from Magazine designs from the 70's and 80's utilising Kef drive units, a prototype from Richard Allen that didn't make the marketplace, but was an exceptional speaker. Lecson HL1's and Audio Physic Spark speakers plus a plethora of others.
At the moment I have the Jim Rogers 149's and can't see me giving them up after 20 odd years, they are a safe predictable speaker, very much 'radio 2' rather than 'radio 1' - but I like them. I link them with a BK Gemini sub. A larger listening room and A pair Quad ESL's would be on the agenda.
Silver disc spinner is a Sony 930E QS, utterly dependable with a decent transport ( a Beresford Bushmaster may be on the cards to go with it ).
I have had much more over the years, but my present system with its known limitations presents a 'good listen' to my ears. I am ' almost ' satisfied. Perhaps the Bushmaster may be the finishing article.
To all contributors - thank you, you're experience and views are interesting and have given food for thought since 2010. If and only if I think that any experience I have had will be of help to others - I shall contribute. I would much prefer to offer a 'fact' than air a view that is without substance.
Oh, by the way, my name is John. A second Oh! - AoS really is a good forum, I hope that I can contribute usefully in the future, any abscence of posts will be because more knowledgeable people have posted or I haven't got a clue about the subject matter. :)

The Grand Wazoo
12-04-2012, 23:39
Hi John,
Welcome to you, now that you've found the courage to step out from the shadows!
What a great introduction - thanks for that......and what a list of great gear too. So what sort of music do you prefer to listen to?

Cheers

AlfaGTV
13-04-2012, 08:33
A warm welcome from another newbie!

Interesting system, we share some components like Audio Physic speakers and Thorens TT's.

BR /Mike

MartinT
13-04-2012, 08:36
It's good to welcome you at last, John. That's a fab list of gear and made me go all choky at the memory of some of them. Glad we could help and please just dive in - everyone can contribute things that are useful to others.

jfs
13-04-2012, 12:04
Thank you very much for your welcome to the forum.
My musical tastes are quite wide, in fact anything that catches my imagination with the exception of 'drum and bass', punk and rap music. I suppose I'm pretty much middle of the road, anything from Cream, Blood Sweat and Tears, I've recently rediscovered the Peddlers, all the way to popular classical work and acoustic guitar. I particularly like blues, again anything from the Mississippi Delta to the 'modern interpretation' of the genre. Of course my formative era of the 60's I hold quite dear to me, but nostalgia is not really my thing, just well played imaginative stuff .
Having re-read my mutterings, I suppose I'm a bit of an 'old f@rt' in reality. :)

Reid Malenfant
13-04-2012, 16:52
Hi John, a warm welcome to AoS from me as well :)

Nice to see another new member with a pretty broad musical taste, just don't look at what I'm playing all the time & you might miss the D 'n' B that you aren't so keen on :D I sometimes get the urge & likewise with the punk :eyebrows:

Hope you enjoy your stay here, all the best!