PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 10.04.2012 Phantom Limb - The Pines (2012)

Tim
10-04-2012, 15:27
Phantom Limb - The Pines
Released Feb 13th 2012 - 180g Vinyl, CD and HD Download (MP3, FLAC, WAV 16/24bit)
Playing time: 55m:26s

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61eU1oPgifL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Band

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/phantom_limb_biog.jpg

Spotify Link - The Pines (http://open.spotify.com/album/7fXUdHnyp5V5xjYfB7IMwh)

Well I have decided to continue my theme of attempting to introduce something new to Album Club, as opposed to a classic album. To my knowledge this is another band rarely mentioned on AoS, so they should hopefully be new to many members. Phantom Limb are an unusual mix of country and classic soul, with some R&B and even a touch of gospel thrown in, I think it works rather well.

They are a 5-piece band from Bristol, who sound like they should hail from the southern states of the US. They have actually been around since 2004, but have not had much exposure up to now and have only produced one studio and one live album, recorded in their hometown. Individually they are busy established session musicians, but this could change with their newly released second studio album The Pines, which was recorded in California and produced by Marc Ford of The Black Crowes. This album is receiving some richly deserved radio play as well as recommendations from The Word magazine. They are fronted by Yolanda Quartey, who can really belt out the vocals and has been likened to Aretha Franklin. I can hear a bit of Beth Hart's vocal style in her as well, a fantastic haunting voice and she's also larger than life on stage. The band as I have mentioned, are regular session musicians of some repute and Yolanda has performed backing vocals for many tops acts (which include Adele and Dizzee Rascal), although she admits being uncomfortable as a backing singer as she finds it difficult not to project - you will understand when you hear her voice, as she's no shrinking violet! Phantom Limb are a very mature sounding band IMO with a great blend of electric guitar, double bass, pedal steel, banjo, drums, piano, Hammond organ and some wonderful vocal harmonies.

I think this is a fantastic album and the blend of musical genre's can at times be a powerful heady mix, as well as being fresh and a real delight to listen to - it's currently in my top 10 list for 2012. Hopefully some others here may enjoy them as well?

High definition downloads and 180g vinyl are also available from the Naim Label music website, links are below.

Wikipedia - Phantom Limb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Limb_%28band%29) - not much here I'm afraid.

Buy at Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantom-Limb-Pines/dp/B0062XFPKE)

Naim - Recordings (http://www.naimlabel.com/recording-the-pines.aspx)

GYp_RG1RffY

Tim
10-04-2012, 15:33
Oh dear, the Poll can't be edited and I have not completed it correctly, or if I can edit it I cannot find out how to :scratch:
Can the mods help here?

John
10-04-2012, 15:38
Judging by the youtube clip I think I am going to really like this. I not really listened to the band before and from thr clip you shown I think your description really matches their sound

John
10-04-2012, 15:41
Just go to thread tools at the top Tim

Tim
10-04-2012, 15:44
I think it's a cracking album John and I had you down as one of the members who I thought may enjoy it ;)
I loved it from my first listen, but have been playing it a lot lately just to double check it was the one I wanted to post this time round - it's grown on me even more as a result.

EDIT:
I tried that John, but there is no option to edit the Poll, just the post itself.

Reid Malenfant
10-04-2012, 17:10
Only a super moderator can edit anything to do with a poll ;) While Tim may be able to edit his post, the poll is totally seperate...

Needs a mod on the job :)

Alex_UK
10-04-2012, 18:12
I've tidied up the Poll, Tim.

Interesting looking choice - not consciously heard of them before, and look forward to giving it a go, :)

Welder
10-04-2012, 18:56
Oh dear. I think I'm going to like this. :(

John
10-04-2012, 19:34
I just had my first listen at present I would give it a 7 but will give it a few more listens before I vote

Tim
11-04-2012, 16:10
I've tidied up the Poll, Tim.
Thanks Alex.

Oh dear. I think I'm going to like this. :(
:lol: steady on John, you nearly made me fall off my chair!

Bazil
16-04-2012, 18:02
Even though its not my sort of music I've still given it 9/10. It really is a quality album,a great find Tim :youtheman:

keiths
16-04-2012, 18:19
7/10 from me after a few listens. Very close to getting an 8. Definitely a band I'll be keeping an eye on.

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2012, 18:42
Not bad - but I thought I was going to like it more from Tim's description.
6/10

Reid Malenfant
17-04-2012, 19:14
Not really my cup of tea I'm afraid. I did manage to listen to the whole thing though :) I don't dislike it, but it's not something I'd ever buy or probably listen to again, so it's getting 4/10 from me.

Tim
17-04-2012, 19:21
Thanks for voting Mark.

I'm surprised not many folk have voted or listened to it, but at least nobody has given it a zero :eyebrows: (yet!).

Reid Malenfant
17-04-2012, 19:28
I couldn't give it a zero as I didn't dislike it :eyebrows: I'm sure the very same could be said by someone that doesn't tend to listen to what I normally would (if they did), but it just appeared to be all very similar. Nothing kind of jumped out at me ;)

I sound like my dad when he used to describe my music when he was into classical :lol: That's getting old for you :doh:

MartinT
21-04-2012, 09:07
It's been my first chance to listen to it today. Not a band I've heard of before. Kind of reminiscent of some other bands with a sound that gives me a little deja vu. Think I'll give it 7/10 but will listen to it some more.

I'm absolutely loving feeding hi-bitrate Spotify through the system using my Logitech SB Touch. This is a great way to evaluate albums I don't have. The SQ of this album is very good indeed.

Tim
21-04-2012, 10:21
The SQ of this album is very good indeed.
Absolutely Martin and it really shines when you hear it properly and not on Spotify - I bet the 180g vinyl is very good.

Shame not many seem to have given it a go, I think its an exceptional album.

Alex_UK
01-05-2012, 15:24
Got a bit behind with Album Club - playing it now, but will need a spin or two... :)

Tim
01-05-2012, 16:39
The SQ of this album is very good indeed.
It is an exceptional recording Martin and it will grow on you if you play it more than a few times - I bet it sounds good on 180g vinyl ;)
Yolanda's voice is truly wonderful (IMHO).

MartinT
01-05-2012, 16:57
I hear you, Tim. Twice ;)

Tim
01-05-2012, 16:58
I hear you, Tim. Twice ;)
:lol: goooo on me old son, you know you want to

MartinT
01-05-2012, 20:08
:)

Alex_UK
02-05-2012, 08:55
Tim will probably have a contract on my head for saying this... but Yolanda's voice is very similar to Rebecca Ferguson from X-Factor a year or two ago... (She didn't win, so she was doing quite well I think!) You are right Tim - you would have no idea they are from Bristol - there is even the occasional Southern Drawl in her vocal! I've enjoyed the 2 plays so far, but nothing has really grabbed me yet and made me go "wow", so may be a slow burner... I will keep going, and rate it later.

A good opportunity to say well done to Tim for introducing us to new albums on both of this Album Club appearances - he's very much in the minority for going with something new, and it is good from my point of view to see a mixture. :)

Audioman
02-05-2012, 12:18
Enjoyable album with excellent playing and arranging. The material is very good but I did not find anything outstanding. Sounds pretty good even on Spotify so having it on a Naim recorded LP might have added an extra point. 7/10. Not tempted to rush out and buy though. Since they are Bristol band and on an audiophile label added to my list for consideration. Well done Tim for finding something new to me that is a good listen

RichB
13-10-2012, 19:18
Well what a lovely way to catch up on album club, as I write this I'm by a pool in south beach Miami and enjoying a cold g n t. What can I say, this album suits the day rather well. Indeed when I started listening I was sure these were an American act and then I read Tim's review and saw these came from Bristol which warmed my heart to think I'll get to see them live at some stage. The lead vocalist is nice and powerful yet very tender and the musicianship very good. If this weren't on spotify already I'd have bought it as I've quite a few other recordings from the main label. I tend to wait until they have one of their sales and snap up as many as I can. By far my most chilled album club post so far. Nice 1 Tim.:cool:

Tim
14-10-2012, 00:18
Thanks Richard, glad you like it - I take a slightly different road on Album Club by trying to find totally new music as opposed to Classics - quite tough to do TBH and AoS can be a tough crowd at times.

You should try their 'Live in Bristol' album, it has great energy and really showcases Yolanda, who I really rate as a vocalist. Its very well recorded too considering they are a relatively unknown band.

Enjoy the G&T's ;)