PDA

View Full Version : WTB or Borrow Spring scale gauge

The Black Adder
10-04-2012, 09:09
Hello.

I'm in need a Sping scale gauge to set the torque on my Reel to Reel. Does anyone have one they would sell or maybe lend to me?

Needs to be 0-500g

Thanks
Joe

YNWaN
10-04-2012, 09:44
If it only neds to measure one weight you could make one easily. Assuming you have a spring (an extension spring), put a screw in a strip of wood, weigh 500g and hang it from the spring, use a marker to note on the strip of wood where the spring extends to; it's now calibrated for 500g - use on your reel-to-reel.

If you don't have the correct range spring, use elastic bands and add them until they are extended by approximately half their extension when loaded with 500g of weight.

The Black Adder
10-04-2012, 09:53
If it only neds to measure one weight you could make one easily. Assuming you have a spring (an extension spring), put a screw in a strip of wood, weigh 500g and hang it from the spring, use a marker to note on the strip of wood where the spring extends to; it's now calibrated for 500g - use on your reel-to-reel.

If you don't have the correct range spring, use elastic bands and add them until they are extended by approximately half their extension when loaded with 500g of weight.

Cheers for that matey... :) sounds good and the principle works but I feel I'd rather just buy one, or borrow one... I wouldn't use it very often.

YNWaN
10-04-2012, 09:56
I don't think I have one unfortunately. I understand that you would prefer a 'properly' made device, but in actual fact they are pretty much what I have described. As is often the case, eBay is probably your best bet.

The Black Adder
10-04-2012, 10:55
Yeah, I'll keep my eyes open on ebay. The principle is simple but I'd feel better with something made for the job if you know what I mean. lol... If I made one I'd be questioning it and eventually go and buy one anyway... But that's me!

Thanks for the advice though, I must admit I didn't think of that.

oceanobsession
11-04-2012, 19:21
Hi there, i have a spring balance which is in newtons 0 to 30

oceanobsession
11-04-2012, 19:44
This is a picture of what ive got cheers phil.

The Black Adder
12-04-2012, 06:39
Thanks Phil.

Unfortunately it needs to be in grammes so I'm still looking.

Cheers
Joe

YNWaN
12-04-2012, 07:48
Don't be daft Joe, it is very easy to convert Newtons into grams:

http://www.unitconversion.org/force/newtons-to-gram-forces-conversion.html

500gf is 4.9N

(I would still recommend you calibrated it with a 500g weight)