PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two T/T's (or very nearly)

Mighty Ant
09-04-2012, 21:16
A Tale of Two T/T's (or very nearly)

I was going to have for sale a couple of turntables, but my brother made me an offer I couldn't politely refuse on one of them. So I am left with one to sell.

THIS IS GOING TO BE 'COLLECTION ONLY' SALE, SORRY.

I have a Garrard 401 turntable in GLOSS BLACK, which I'm told is it's original colour by Stewartwen. The motor was purchased from Turning Japanese before being serviced by Matt at AGrail and is in superb running order. It doesn't have its original platter mat, I'm trying to get one from AGrail, but it will come with a cork mat to start with.

The motor is mounted on a Russ Collinson birch ply light Oak veneered plinth with rounded chamfered corners. The plinth is very solid and weighs in at over 20 kilos. Should you not wish to avail yourself of the tone arm then I have three arm boards, one cut for a 12" SME, one cut for a12" Thomas Schick arm and the final one is left blank for the arm of your own delectation. These armboards are made of solid oak a would cost nearly £100 without the plinth.

As I did swapsies with Matt it is very difficult to put a final price on this, but I would like to recoup close to what I have probably laid out which must be in the region of £1250. This unit has never been used by myself, except to turn it on and run it to allow the oil flow around the baring every now and again. It is very quick to reach speed and maintain it. It is super quiet.

Offers around £1150.

The tone arm is an Opera Consonance ST600 which can be used as a 10.5" to 12" arm. These are extremely rare and are works of art. The original rrpp was £1795. I have had it from new. It has been sent to J7 for an internal rewire and general check over and pronounced A1. It is a unipivot design and again never been used. Due to it being a unipivot the pictures show it without the rear counterweights. I have damping fluid from J7 which has never been opened and injected into the retaining bowl. More can be seen about this arm at www.aliumaudio.com The output lead is made by LFD and I am told by a former member of this parish that this alone would have cost in the region of £500 when new. Google 'Opera Consonance ST600' to find the Hi Fi Plus+ multi arm review. It should be the fourth item on the first page

Offers around £1350.

These are only offered for sale due to continuing ill health and the fact I have a few other turntables.

Please reply by pm if interested.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/supermightyant/PIC_0146.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/supermightyant/PIC_0148.jpg

If both turntable and tonearm are bought together there will be a discount to the prices stated above.

Thank you for looking,

Anthony.

Wakefield Turntables
10-04-2012, 21:22
That is a nice looking deck :stalks:

Mighty Ant
11-04-2012, 07:42
Garrard and plinth SOLD STP

Come on now, SUPER ARM made out of stailess steel and carbon Fibre.

Mighty Ant
11-04-2012, 17:52
This beautiful arm is H-E-A-V-Y and not suited to bouncy bouncy type turntables.

Mighty Ant
17-04-2012, 22:05
Any sensible offers for this wonderful arm. Remember it is not suitable for suspended turntables.

Mighty Ant
29-04-2012, 13:24
Arm reduced to £1200 ovno. Please remember that this arm lays flat on the plinth, so if your plinth is made of wood you only need to make 3 screw holes. All alignment tools are supplied and the mounting of the arm is easy peasy.

Shortly off to the 'bay. :eek: