PDA

View Full Version : My son wants to sell his Quad for an AV system!

loonytunes
07-04-2012, 15:47
I have instilled good sound quality in my son from an early age - and through his very own paper round money he saved up and bought a brand new Quad 99 CDP-2 and Quad 99 power amp using Russ Andrews SP-1 Focal Chorus 705V loudspeakers.

He now wants to sell his Quad system to put towards an AV surround sound system with similar high quality sound to his Quad.

Now his bedroom is not that large (11ft by 9ft 8 inches at the widest point - narrowing down to 6ft wide at the narrowest point - so it's not a perfectly square room).

Selling his Quad will put money towards a 42" 3D TV and AV amp with 3 further loudspeakers (he is keeping the Focals due to their excellent clarity). Due to the size of his room he is thinking about getting the smallest speakers possible.

Personally it will be a shame to see the Quads go - but I see no other option and I can't influence him to keep his excellent stereo.

So I need help finding a system that will sound excellent as a stereo (at least as good as the Quad) yet also do AV.

The Vinyl Adventure
07-04-2012, 16:09
shame he has to sell to fund ... I used to combine a stereo system for music then have a surround amp to power the rears and centre with the stereo powering the fronts for surround duties
best of both worlds ...
vitoed by the missis these days mind!

hifi_dave
07-04-2012, 16:10
What you want doesn't exist in my experience.

If you want good music, stick with the Quad and stereo. Put the speakers either side of the screen and add a sub-woof for effects.

Incidentally, you should introduce yourself in the appropriate section before posting.

Reid Malenfant
07-04-2012, 16:25
Hi Chris, would you mind popping into the welcome section of the forum & introducing yourself please? It was requested that you do this on the activation email you must have received :) You'll find it at the very top of the homepage, first forum you come to...

Thanks in advance :)

I have instilled good sound quality in my son from an early age - and through his very own paper round money he saved up and bought a brand new Quad 99 CDP-2 and Quad 99 power amp using Russ Andrews SP-1 Focal Chorus 705V loudspeakers.

He now wants to sell his Quad system to put towards an AV surround sound system with similar high quality sound to his Quad.

Now his bedroom is not that large (11ft by 9ft 8 inches at the widest point - narrowing down to 6ft wide at the narrowest point - so it's not a perfectly square room).

Selling his Quad will put money towards a 42" 3D TV and AV amp with 3 further loudspeakers (he is keeping the Focals due to their excellent clarity). Due to the size of his room he is thinking about getting the smallest speakers possible.

Personally it will be a shame to see the Quads go - but I see no other option and I can't influence him to keep his excellent stereo.

So I need help finding a system that will sound excellent as a stereo (at least as good as the Quad) yet also do AV.

Incidentally, you should introduce yourself in the appropriate section before posting.
Well said Dave :cool:

Macca
07-04-2012, 16:44
Well - failure to introduce oneself aside there are so many things wrong with this IMO

I can just see the son looking back in a couple of years time saying 'ah I should never have sold those Quads will never get that sound again' :lol:
We don't know ho much money is involved but as most of it will surely get spunked on the TV then some sort of dedicated 5 channels of power amps and decoder system is going to be out of the question.

If it was me and I had to do it I would forget the centre speaker altogether, no need for them especially not in a small room. Dial it out and send the signal to the front L&R instead. Rear speakers - again don't waste your money here, JBL Control One for about £70 brand new with wall mounting brackets. included.

What is left is for the a/v amp as it will need to be a good one. I wouldn't stray far from Marantz or Onkyo, again IMO.

Mark Grant
07-04-2012, 17:03

Welcome to the forum :)

Without spending tons of money I dont think you will find anything AV that will sound like real 2 channel Hi-Fi for music.

If it was me I would save up for the TV and then connect the TV sound output into the existing system and see how it sounds.

I install a few AV systems and wall mounted TV's and the best sound for 'general purpose' TV watching is always when the sound is through a quality 2 channel system.
I dont think many people realise just how good some of the TV programmes can sound through a decent amplifier and speakers.

If your son is wanting to watch blu-ray films then maybe the surround sound is the way to go.
It will be in two channel most of the time I guess.

3D TV is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion, far better to buy a non 3D high quality plasma such as the panasonic that is cheap everywhere at the moment.
If you have lots of 3D films then you need a 3D TV, pointless buying a 3D TV just in case you might buy one or two 3D films. ( in my opinion)

The panasonic TX42G30 plasma ( NOT 3D) is excellent and ideal for a luxury bedroom TV:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42g30b-full-hd-42-plasma-tv-09933668-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~UFC-TV_-_Panasonic~09933668~LT&mctag=gg_goog_7904_&gclid=CPW0r8Wao68CFcwTfAodKFhEWg

loonytunes
07-04-2012, 19:40
Sorry - just introduced myself in keeping with forum etiquette...

Ok to continue - thanks for your help thus far - I have discussed some of these comments with my son (remember he is 17 and his frontal cortex has not fully wired up yet).

I forgot about the subwoofer - this is essential for him - is has to punch hard and go deeeeeep - this is his preference (he has been through about 6 subwoofers in his car).

I currently have a NAD Viso 5 sitting around that I have lent Sam to try (my son's name of course) - wired it up in place of the Quad - and the "stereo" quality is a good enough replacement for him. I was going to sell the NAD - but now it looks like he may be buying it off me using the funds from his Quad system (when he sells it). Perhaps the NAD is not quite as good as the Quad - but it sounds good enough for him. I hope you all agree this is a good enough substitute, and of course will do the 5.1 duties.

So the TV and surround speakers are left - I welcome your system building ideas from this point on.... In no way am I an expert when it comes to home cinema.

northwest
07-04-2012, 20:26
I forgot about the subwoofer - this is essential for him - is has to punch hard and go deeeeeep - this is his preference (he has been through about 6 subwoofers in his car).

I was looking the other day and saw somewhere a small sub woofer/vibration device that you can bolt to the floor or even the couch and get the full "experience".
Think I might just get one for the "telly room" :eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
08-04-2012, 00:21
in my view forget the 3D TV go for a better normal led or plasma screen, it will save you some money, then look on ebay for a good A/V amp, Denon and Marantz do some gear that are great for music too, same with the speakers, look on ebay, the rear speakers don't need to be anything special, if you keep your current speakers, just get a centre speaker that compliments them and a decent sub, something like a Rel, M&K or even a Paradigm if you don't mind upsetting the neighbours with the gut wrenching bass, if you're cleaver it may mean you don't need to sell the beloved Quad gear after all;)

Barry
08-04-2012, 11:36
What you want doesn't exist in my experience.

If you want good music, stick with the Quad and stereo. Put the speakers either side of the screen and add a sub-woof for effects.

That would be my advice too.

Also as others have said, I wouldn`t bother with 3D: stick with a HD plasma or LCD screen.

Regards

John
08-04-2012, 12:09
I have two suggestions neither will really effect his current system
1) Add a sub even two it will give him the punch he wants This be the way I would go if I was in his shoes
2) Get a bass kicker its not really going to effect the sound quality and will give him that thump he wants
I now expect to hung drawn and quartered lol

morris_minor
08-04-2012, 15:35
Is there anything like the old Yamaha DSP-E800 around now? I had one a few years ago and it added centre and rear channels to an existing stereo system, with a line out for the front L and R.

loonytunes
09-04-2012, 13:31
Is there anything like the old Yamaha DSP-E800 around now? I had one a few years ago and it added centre and rear channels to an existing stereo system, with a line out for the front L and R.

That sounds like a good idea! This, I assume, means I could use the existing Quad Stereo Power amp - will this work??

morris_minor
09-04-2012, 13:53
That sounds like a good idea! This, I assume, means I could use the existing Quad Stereo Power amp - will this work??

I can't see why not. I used mine with an Audiolab 8000A integrated. Once I'd adjusted the volume on the 8000A fronts to balance with the rears, the remote from the E800 controlled the overall volume.

But this unit is pretty old now and won't have all the latest Dolby Digital and DTS formats. But as a basic surround add-on to a stereo system it worked fine for me.

Mark Grant
09-04-2012, 16:36
The Yamaha DSP-E800 would be a good idea and then the Quad does not get sold.

Looking on ebay they go for £30 upwards + delivery. About £50 + for boxed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=yamaha+dsp-e800&_trkparms=65%253A13%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

There is one described as mint and with original box on avforums with no offers yet :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifier-receiver-classified-adverts/1610807-sale-yamaha-dsp-e800-mint-condition.html

All you would need is a centre speaker and some rear speakers and a TV.

The centre speaker to match the Focal 705 is the CC 700 V
http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/home-theatre-speakers/central-speakers/chorus-cc-700-v.php

If you decide to buy Focal ask me for a good price :)

loonytunes
09-04-2012, 18:09
The digital processor alone looks the same size as a full size DV amp - so my only concern is the extra clutter of having the processor and the power amp in his not-too-large room. I would have preferred something more bijou along the lines of the dimensions of the Quad gear for that room of his.

Perhaps letting him use the NAD Viso 5 will be a neater package and high enough quality all round after all.

I must admit - I would rather have released funds by selling the Viso 5 (I was looking for about £380).

Hang on though - as I type this I was thinking about another possibility - I have a high quality pair of class D very small mono-block power amps which could neatly sit on the Yamaha without too much extra bulk. So many possibilities it would seem!

The key thing though (if possible) is to keep clutter down in that room so that he can breathe (albeit I expect Sam would love to be surrounded by gadgets).

By the way I liked the TV idea - with all that internet functionality - however I would have preferred a more energy efficient LED model to keep the elec bill down - and something wafer thin to hang from his wall - but I guess the cost creeps up if you want all this.

Reid Malenfant
09-04-2012, 18:16
By the way I liked the TV idea - with all that internet functionality - however I would have preferred a more energy efficient LED model to keep the elec bill down - and something wafer thin to hang from his wall - but I guess the cost creeps up if you want all this.
An LED TV that thin will be edge lit, as a good few on here have experienced, edge lit LED TVs don't do the picture any good. Modern plasmas are much more efficient than the old ones & give a truly stunning picture :)

loonytunes
12-04-2012, 07:24
My son seems intent on getting a 42" Finlux TV - anyone had any experience of these? It's not a brand I hear much about myself.

Or should it be Panasonic all the way....?

Jac Hawk
12-04-2012, 08:49
I've heard of Finlux, they tend to be in the budget end of the market, that's not a bad thing by the way, just the picture quality won't be cutting edge, but nether will the price. It boils down to your priorities and budget.

chris@panteg
12-04-2012, 11:12
My son seems intent on getting a 42" Finlux TV - anyone had any experience of these? It's not a brand I hear much about myself.

Is your Lad into gaming ? Does he have an Xbox or PS3 ? If so then an LCD or Edge LED would be a safer bet than a Plasma because of image retention .

Stratmangler
12-04-2012, 21:13

Panasonic :)

loonytunes
14-04-2012, 11:07
OK after further discussions and thoughts - Sam and I have made a swap - I have his CD player in exchange for my NAD Viso 5 (good deal eh?) - thus we now have his amp sorted and that should certainly be good enough as an AV amp and 2 channel stereo for that small room of his.

He will be selling his Quad Stereo amplifier separately in due course.

OK for the the first time in months I have a CD player in my own hi-fi rack so I can make useful comparisons between a good quality player and my netbook coupled to a Blacknote DAC-7.

I know that plasmas have come a long way way energy efficiency wise (so you say) - but are there any good quality LED's you can recommend which at least come close to a good plasma?

Reid Malenfant
14-04-2012, 15:09
The only LED TVs that will get close to a plasma are backlit with area dimming, the edge lit ones don't come close :rolleyes: While they have great dynamic contrast they can't do full white & pitch black at the same time, unlike one TV I can think of.

The only one I know of is probably a bit too big & rather too expensive :eyebrows: Philips 58PFL9955.. 10,000,000:1 which is in the league of the best plasmas.

Though I'm sure there must be some out there, they'll take some hunting down & they are not as thin as any edge lit LED or plasma TV as the LEDs need to be set back a bit of a distance from the LCD panel.

chris@panteg
14-04-2012, 18:59
One of the better LED sets is the Samsung 5520 , having tried a Sony EX723 and now running a Panasonic G30 , no comparison really , I'm just blown away by it :)

bollypoly
30-04-2012, 07:58
{Spam shite removed}

DSJR
30-04-2012, 08:20
Can I jump in quick please?

Rotel, Linn (5225?) and Arcam (FMJ) have all made some good multi-channel power amps with proper power and Quad 99 level (at least) of sound quality IMO. certainly, the far eastern manufacturers have the technology and engineering to make first class processors and for good old fashiond music-power, there's enough there, but I still feel the amps I've referred to are better in audio terms. The Quad 99 was a good quality class B or AB amp which hopefully hasn't been dragged down by poor components as I understand the later 909's were.

Hope this helps someone if not the OP.

ursus262
30-04-2012, 17:21
David! You're back :mex:

Yomanze
30-04-2012, 19:23
No way man your son should get surround sound from his 'propa' 2 channel setup & forget this surround sound speakers nonsense. :P

loonytunes
03-05-2012, 17:11
OK thanks everyone - in the end we ordered a 3D LED, LG 42LW550T - for the stonking price of £499.97 (plus credit card surcharge - but got reduced delivery by trying Which? magazine subscription).

I know most people here rate plasmas as better - but I wanted to save on the electricity bill - knowing my son is likely to doze off in front of the TV (a bad habit he has now in front of our plasma downstairs).

This LED looks like it does the 3D job well (for an LED) - so this is the best I could muster with limited funds.

Also I like the idea of using passive 3D glasses.

I will tell you all how we get on with it.

loonytunes
03-05-2012, 17:19
Can I jump in quick please?

Rotel, Linn (5225?) and Arcam (FMJ) have all made some good multi-channel power amps with proper power and Quad 99 level (at least) of sound quality IMO. certainly, the far eastern manufacturers have the technology and engineering to make first class processors and for good old fashiond music-power, there's enough there, but I still feel the amps I've referred to are better in audio terms. The Quad 99 was a good quality class B or AB amp which hopefully hasn't been dragged down by poor components as I understand the later 909's were.

Hope this helps someone if not the OP.

Don't you think the NAD Viso 5 is good enough then?

loonytunes
05-05-2012, 23:10
Part 1 - in response to the LG 42LW550T...

Plugged the LG in today in order to set it up and I just cannot get any of the HDMI inputs to work. I tried everything and it will not sense a signal from both the Playstation 3 and Sky HD box. I reset to factory defaults twice - switched appliances on and off - used different HDMI leads including one which I know is 1.4 compliant - upgraded the firmware on the LG to the latest - tried other HDMI devices - but "nothing".

The Aerial works fine and so do the menus and Internet (otherwise I could not do the firmware update) - but I just cannot get the HDMI signal through. I reckon its faulty unless I am missing a trick somewhere along the line??? HELP!

Mark Grant
06-05-2012, 08:32
It wont auto detect a HDMI signal as far as I know. ( not many do as some dont devices follow any standards, e.g. always on)

Press ' Input' on the remote to bring up a menu called 'Input list' then choose the HDMI socket that you have connected the PS3 or Sky to.

I think you can rename the inputs to make selecting easier.

Was there an instruction manual in the box :)

loonytunes
07-05-2012, 08:55
It wont auto detect a HDMI signal as far as I know. ( not many do as some dont devices follow any standards, e.g. always on)

Press ' Input' on the remote to bring up a menu called 'Input list' then choose the HDMI socket that you have connected the PS3 or Sky to.

I think you can rename the inputs to make selecting easier.

Was there an instruction manual in the box :)

Hello Mark - thanks very much for your assistance - during my efforts of trying to get the TV to work, I did select the INPUTs manually, but with no success. What I did notice is that when devices were plugged into the TV HDMI socket the socket indicators on the screen GUI would highlight indicating there was a device present - so the TV can detect a connection but will not accept the signal coming from the connection?

I read the manual from top to bottom... I will kick myself if there is a simple answer!

Reid Malenfant
07-05-2012, 15:58
Check if you have another type of connection from the device that you could plug into the TV. If you have, go into the menu of the device that you aren't getting a picture of (on HDMI) & check the HDMI output settings via this other connection.

Every TV that I know of will accept RGB colourspace via the HDMI socket, but I'm not sure about Y,CR,CB... Some do, the more expensive ones.

It's possible that it can detect a device plugged in, but can't display the information or picture. The HDMI handshake doesn't take place over the picture connections, but via data connections.

If you have an auto setting on the device, set it to that as the TV will tell it what to output :)

Mark Grant
07-05-2012, 16:49
I guess the sky box and PS3 have previously been connected by scart for the sky box and composite from the PS3 via the AV output connector.

To fix the PS3 put it into standy and then hold the power button pressed until the PS3 makes two beeps, sometimes about 4 to 5 seconds.
This resets the video output settings in the PS3 to default which will enable the HDMI output as if by magic :)

The sky box will be similar and as Mark says you will need to connect it with another connection type so you can get to the set up menus in the sky box.
there is also a hidden installer menu in the sky box although no use until you can see the picture on the screen.

loonytunes
11-05-2012, 07:35
Both the reseller and LG tech support decided that the TV needed taking back because it was faulty, so I am anticipating a replacement TV soon...

loonytunes
23-05-2012, 17:37
Still waiting....