View Full Version : Stripping out a DAC and making it external

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 09:12
Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a dac made. I have an idea for the case work so it will need to fit in to these cases.

The idea so far is use the a TDA1541A DAC stripped out of an ARCAM Alpha cd player. This is simply because the circuit board is actually seperate from the main board in this player and is small in size.

I want to put the dac in 2 boxes, one being the PSU. Both boxes are identiacal.

Dimension of the cases are to follow but can anyone tell me if this is possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks
Joe

Sonority
01-04-2012, 09:54
Perfectly possible and is what I'm doing at present.

I may be completely nutts though :ner:
I think mine would need several boxes as it's now fully built in - well prety much.

Google Twisted Pear Buffalo dac and you will have pages and pages of stuff to look at.

You could save yourself a heap of problems and just get what you need from the TP website - they do several different dacs all for you to DIY to your hearts content.

PS - the dac boards and the connecting output boards are very small - tiny in fact.

My 'insane' outboard ps for a dual mono dac :-
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/sph2701/DAC4.jpg

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 10:14
Coolio Stephen.

Thing is I'm after the TDA1541A (maybe an S1) dac and I can't find one of those on TP.

I'm a retrokindaguy, lol

Which Dac are you using for your project?

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 10:18
Jeeeeeezuz...Man it looks like you have installed it in your wall!..That's super cool!

Macca
01-04-2012, 10:25
My 'insane' outboard ps for a dual mono dac :-
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/sph2701/DAC4.jpg

If you ever go to market with that I think the 'Insane' is a perfect product name.;)

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 10:36
lol... The Studwall 2012 DAC

Love it... Your in the Mids Stephan so maybe I can pop over to see it for real sometime...

Sonority
01-04-2012, 10:51
I dont think the 1541A is made any more?
If you want to use one it will be NOS or already used.

While I do understand the 'analogue' effect you are seeking - it may be a huge can of worms as backup will be non existant now.

If your going old you could do with looking out for the old double crown chip - for those in the know they will exchange in unobtanium metals ;) I had one in an ancient cd player.
I think Lampizator waxes lyrical obout these devices.

I am building the Buffalo in it's (now former) MKII guise. The MkIII uses the exact same chip but in a different board layout.

Good luck with the project.
You will be very welcome when this monster is completed.

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 11:33
I dont think the 1541A is made any more?
If you want to use one it will be NOS or already used.

While I do understand the 'analogue' effect you are seeking - it may be a huge can of worms as backup will be non existant now.

If your going old you could do with looking out for the old double crown chip - for those in the know they will exchange in unobtanium metals ;) I had one in an ancient cd player.
I think Lampizator waxes lyrical obout these devices.

I am building the Buffalo in it's (now former) MKII guise. The MkIII uses the exact same chip but in a different board layout.

Good luck with the project.
You will be very welcome when this monster is completed.

Yeah, hence using that DAC board from an Arcam Alpha CDP.

But if anyone has another PCB suggestion that would still use the TDA1541A that would be great.

NRG
01-04-2012, 14:25
Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a dac made. I have an idea for the case work so it will need to fit in to these cases.

The idea so far is use the a TDA1541A DAC stripped out of an ARCAM Alpha cd player. This is simply because the circuit board is actually seperate from the main board in this player and is small in size.

I want to put the dac in 2 boxes, one being the PSU. Both boxes are identiacal.

Dimension of the cases are to follow but can anyone tell me if this is possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Many thanks
Joe

Yes, very possible! My effort from a few years back....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2135&highlight=arcam

The Black Adder
01-04-2012, 16:18
Yes, very possible! My effort from a few years back....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2135&highlight=arcam

PM sent.

This is just what I'm looking for.