PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Brittany/ NVA questions

stupinder
10-02-2008, 08:59
Just joined this after it being suggested as an alt to Hifiwigwam. Im trying to get honest opinion on NVA amps and had it suggested I would get short shrift at wigwam for whatever reasons.
I'm loong at a pair of monoblocs and a passive pre from the above mentioned company. It appears to be gear that follows sensible philosophy -"if its not needed leave it out". I'm currently using an all Linn (KArik, Majik, Keilidh and chord anniverary) system but looking at flogging the Majik to help fund the upgrade. I'm pretty determined to have monoblocs and a pre and have a budget of around 500 quid once the Majik sells. I listen to Rock, Jazz and the like -neil young, gil scott heron etc.
Any thoughts before i part with the hard earned?

Gromit
10-02-2008, 09:47
Hi Stuart - glad you found us ok. :)

I'm extremely pleased with my current rig of P50/A60 - one of the guys on the 'other place' was selling his A60 so I snapped it up, added the P50 and got some LS1 speaker cable. It seems to take about 24 hours of being switched on to come on song but as it's designed to be left on 24/7 that's no real problem.

I'm also considering going for a pair of A80 mono's (like Jerry's). Have been thinking of bi-amping but the extra speaker wires wouldn't be condusive to marital bliss. :D

Still, if I did decide to bi-amp with the 80's in the future guess I could just add a stereo A60 to drive the tweeters (Richard I'm sure will keep me straight on this). :)

You say you fancy a pre-power but one of the guys at the 'other place' is sellling a very nice AP80 integrated. This is the 80w/ch with 4 psu's - effectively a pair of 80's in one chassis albeit with smaller psu's to fit in the box. He has had some pre-out sockets fitted to allow for an external power amp at some time in the future. He's after less than £500 for it. Reckon it'd be a stonking amp for that money. :)

stupinder
10-02-2008, 10:03
Cheers for that. Pretty much set my heart on the a40s/p50 set up which i would look at adding more amps at a later date to bi amp the keilidhs. Being here in the middle of Brittany thees not much chance to audition stuff so I wanted to get as much info before i comit to buy

WikiBoy
10-02-2008, 10:08
Hi Stuart - glad you found us ok. :)

You say you fancy a pre-power but one of the guys at the 'other place' is sellling a very nice AP80 integrated. This is the 80w/ch with 4 psu's - effectively a pair of 80's in one chassis albeit with smaller psu's to fit in the box. He has had some pre-out sockets fitted to allow for an external power amp at some time in the future. He's after less than £500 for it. Reckon it'd be a stonking amp for that money. :)

I cant believe he hasn't had his hand bitten off at that price. It is over 50% down from what he paid for it a couple of months ago. His reasoning for selling seems a bit doo-lally as well seeing as he has spent the last couple of months singing its praises. Upgrade-itis is a disease, apart from with Jerry that is, where it has become a way of life ;)

Gromit
10-02-2008, 10:16
I cant believe he hasn't had his hand bitten off at that price.

Indeed - if I'd got the necessary I'd have done exactly that. :)

stupinder
10-02-2008, 10:39
I'd have a look at it but I have to wait 'til ive sold some other gear first. Wires not a problem for marital bliss........spending what i haven't got is! Shouldn't be too long before i get in touch though Richard

Marco
10-02-2008, 10:53
Hi Stu,

Welcome :)

We're pleased to have you on board and hope you enjoy the forum. You seem to be getting stuck in nicely anyway!

Have fun.

Regards,
Marco.

stupinder
10-02-2008, 13:06
Right
everything i own is up for sale on e bay. Richard you should see the benefits soon. I reckon get the a40s then when funds allow upgrade to the a 80s if i like the nva sound.
I only got back into Hifi very recently when i got the Linn system VERY cheap. I used to have flat earth MF The Preamp and such but then swapped it all for a pair of 1210 technics to pursue a life of sex drugs and house. Needless to say the need to upgrade is strong so i've been buying nice bits of cable and what have you. Now feel like i need a major electronics fix!

scoobs
10-02-2008, 19:58
Speaking as the doo-lally one here, well yes I am loosing a fine amp, and I may live to regret it, but I have never been able to shake from my mind the performance I once had from a simple active system, considering too that I am having to make a compromise in the living/listening room, and I have happened across a combination that I feel will give me even more presence and insight for less outlay than my current combo. The other factor here is the discovery of valves...but that's for another day, as I am a complete novice in this field...and no it's not Chinese either. :¬ )

The ap80 has been by far the best amp I've ever used and if this doesn't work out then I know where to come back to for my SS fix. Cheers Richard for a great product and your assistance with my endless questions over the last 12 months or so.

WikiBoy
10-02-2008, 20:29
Speaking as the doo-lally one here, well yes I am loosing a fine amp, and I may live to regret it, but I have never been able to shake from my mind the performance I once had from a simple active system, considering too that I am having to make a compromise in the living/listening room, and I have happened across a combination that I feel will give me even more presence and insight for less outlay than my current combo. The other factor here is the discovery of valves...but that's for another day, as I am a complete novice in this field...and no it's not Chinese either. :¬ )

The ap80 has been by far the best amp I've ever used and if this doesn't work out then I know where to come back to for my SS fix. Cheers Richard for a great product and your assistance with my endless questions over the last 12 months or so.

Whoops! teach me to check if you were here :sorry:

Doo-lally 'cos you sold it so cheap, someone got one heck of a bargain.

To be put in the same sentence as Jerry and doo-lally is a back handed compliment. Jerry is the king box swopper, heck I think he buys and sells more than a lot of retailers :)

Enjoy your hobby, nva is not important, what makes you happy and :guitar: is.

scoobs
10-02-2008, 21:00
;) No problem Richard, I took it in jest. If only one had Jerry's spare time and residual income...the missus would leave or kill me within days. :D

Gromit
10-02-2008, 21:23
Enjoy your hobby, nva is not important, what makes you happy and :guitar: is.

Amen to that. :)

Nick's bi-wire-LS5 etc should be arriving tomorrow so am looking forward to hearing what that does. All I'll say for now is that my rig's sounding pretty bloody good, plus I've got bass which is under control yet full of substance and a decent amount of depth.

Je suis un lapin content. :piano: :)

WikiBoy
10-02-2008, 22:04
Amen to that. :)

Nick's bi-wire-LS5 etc should be arriving tomorrow so am looking forward to hearing what that does. All I'll say for now is that my rig's sounding pretty bloody good, plus I've got bass which is under control yet full of substance and a decent amount of depth.

Je suis un lapin content. :piano: :)

Someone find "happy bunny" smiley and add it to the list.

I am still fascinated by the prospect of bi-amping with both valve and solid state, could it be best or worst of both worlds, so - sortez votre doigt :cool: please.

(Edit) by the way Richard if that avartar is you, just look how close those valve covers are to the road, and no side bars. BMWs are not designed for that sort of cornering.

Marco
10-02-2008, 22:10
LOL. I just love the pigeon French! :D

I think we should bring Steve into this...

Qu'est-ce que tu pense, monsieur Toy? ;)

Marco.

Gromit
10-02-2008, 22:12
Someone find "happy bunny" smiley and add it to the list.

Looked hard for one but I'm usually happiest when making a racket on the piano (and a racket it certainly is - I'm not a natural keyboard player). :)

I am still fascinated by the prospect of bi-amping with both valve and solid state, could it be best or worst of both worlds, so - sortez votre doigt :cool: please.

I will get round to this, although things are so settled now - especially now the 60's been left on for a few days - I'm almost reluctant to start fiddling. Still, dare say it's got to be worth a go. :)

Gromit
10-02-2008, 22:14
(Edit) by the way Richard if that avartar is you, just look how close those valve covers are to the road, and no side bars. BMWs are not designed for that sort of cornering.

It is me actually - about 5 years ago on my old R1100S. Handled bloody well that bike as it happens. :)

Gromit
11-02-2008, 09:41
While we're on the subject of NVA - just bought Scoobs' LS5 speakers cables (in bi-wire config). Just plugged them in half an hour ago and yowzas!! Quite a surprising difference - everything sounds more solid, more forthright. Dynamics are more obvious, there's less treble hash yet the sound's brighter and more detailed. Bass is much better - it goes deeper but there's less of it somehow. That's to say there's less thump but more fundamental bass tone and detail.

Woohoo!! :band:

WikiBoy
11-02-2008, 09:53
It is me actually - about 5 years ago on my old R1100S. Handled bloody well that bike as it happens. :)

Have you or anyone else raced a side cylindered BMW at I.O.M. Aren't you scared of dropping it and losing a cylinder head.

(says he like expert when the last bike he owned was a Triumph Tiger Cub :rolleyes: )

WikiBoy
11-02-2008, 09:58
While we're on the subject of NVA - just bought Scoobs' LS5 speakers cables (in bi-wire config). Just plugged them in half an hour ago and yowzas!! Quite a surprising difference - everything sounds more solid, more forthright. Dynamics are more obvious, there's less treble hash yet the sound's brighter and more detailed. Bass is much better - it goes deeper but there's less of it somehow. That's to say there's less thump but more fundamental bass tone and detail.

Woohoo!! :band:

Don't be such a silly bunny - you know cables don't make any difference
;)

Marco
11-02-2008, 10:12
Indeed. All you can do is see them, not hear them ;)

Marco.

Gromit
11-02-2008, 10:21
Sorry chaps - looks like my ears are faulty then. :scratch:

;)

Richard - I've done a few trackdays on BMW's over the years. It takes a hell of a lot to ground the cylinder head tbh - footpegs (which fold up) tend to ground first which is usually the sign to say 'cool it'.

I've slowed up a hell of a lot now though - ironic that with the Blackbird I've now got one of the quicker bikes on the road today.

Filterlab
13-02-2008, 09:54
Just joined this after it being suggested as an alt to Hifiwigwam...

Excellent news! A belated welcome from me. :)

stupinder
13-02-2008, 12:14
Cheers Rob
Looks like the NVA kit is gonna have to wait me thinks. Despite flogging just about everything the wif'es not nailed down i'm still short. Going to have a bash at biamping the kelidhs with the majik ive got and purchase a k100. Then i think i should leave it while

Filterlab
13-02-2008, 12:16
...Despite flogging just about everything the wife's not nailed down I'm still short...

Any chance you could flog the wife?

:)

Give biamping a try, but don't be surprised if it sounds worse.

stupinder
13-02-2008, 12:19
Did put her on one of the expat forums - she made me take the posting off -hey ho

Filterlab
13-02-2008, 12:23
Did put her on one of the expat forums - she made me take the posting off -hey ho

Darn it! :D

snapper
13-02-2008, 12:29
Give biamping a try, but don't be surprised if it sounds worse.

About 12 years ago I bi-amped my Keilidhs,well worth doing IMO,especially when LK100's are so cheap now.

stupinder
13-02-2008, 12:51
Was about to post - "bugger the upgrades i'm going to buy the equivelant in new music" ............'til the last post!

Filterlab
13-02-2008, 13:00
About 12 years ago I bi-amped my Keilidhs,well worth doing IMO,especially when LK100's are so cheap now.

Cool, strange how it works with some equipment but not all, must be our old friend synergy. :)

snapper
13-02-2008, 13:13
Cool, strange how it works with some equipment but not all, must be our old friend synergy. :)

I found the Keilidhs needed some power to get them going and 2 LK100's did a great job,although I'm sure 2 Klouts would be even better.