PDA

View Full Version : Cash converters

Covenant
28-03-2012, 07:25
I spotted one of these stores in Southport recently and popped in, convinced I was going to find loads of hifi equipment for silly prices. In actual fact it was full of tat, mostly disco equipment and the prices were not cheap.
Anyone stuck it lucky, is it worth calling back in a few weeks?

Ali Tait
28-03-2012, 07:32
I got a tatty but working perfectly Pioneer stable platter machine for 20 quid. I think it's worth having a quick look on occasion, there is the odd bargain to be had.

sq225917
28-03-2012, 07:34
Great for making those few extra quid when you're desperate for your next fix, not so good for legitimate Hifi that hasn't been stolen.

Macca
28-03-2012, 07:46
You don't have to pay the sticker price, they will haggle with you. The one by me is full of mobile phones, no hi-fi at all :(

Effem
28-03-2012, 08:31
The one in Plymouth had a mint Lentek integrated amp a few years ago for £149 and to my eternal shame I didn't buy it :(

Bluedroog
28-03-2012, 09:23
I’ve popped in to the London, Harlesden branch – Harlesden reads **** hole, not a nice place at all, often taking the mantle for the highest murder rate in the country and it’s much the same. Huge multi drive speakers but most of which I could easily pick up, chip board and a lot of empty box and cheap components, almost white van speakers. Also incredibly overpriced most of it. There is a few bass bins too and some disco lights.

Spectral Morn
28-03-2012, 09:30
Over the last few years I have seen the following: Usher Be718 speakers, Yamaha 580se tape deck, Meridian home cinema processor, Lowe surround speakers, Nakamichi music system, various CD players from Marantz to Pioneer. Musical Fidelity X series kit........... etc (that's just what I recall of the top of my head

Only thing I ever bought there was a Miller and Kresler subwoofer :)

So yes looking from time to time is a good idea.

Regards D S D L

Beobloke
28-03-2012, 09:34
Most of their stock is indeed general cheap tat and disco decks (mostly not of the Technics variety either - and those that do apper are either vastly overpriced or completely knackered!). However I have bought the following at various Cash Converters in my area:

Sony PS-X555ES turntable - £50
TDL Studio 0.5 speakers - £45
Cyrus Two amplifier, Cyrus Tuner and remote - £60

I also once saw a pair of Mission 780 Argonauts for £80 but sadly Mrs. B happened to be with me on that occasion and vetoed the acquisition. I also once saw a pair of B&O Beovox M75s plus stands for £50. Sadly it was the day befopre pay day and I was broke. I went back the next day and they'd gone! :(

icehockeyboy
28-03-2012, 12:01
Mine now has a selection of Rolex, Breitling and Tag Heur watches, but the hifi? is rank, usually WAAAAAAAAY overpriced, odd that as they only want to pay peanuts for stuff. I sold them my Denon 2803, which cost me £600+, and I only got £100 for it, despite it being mint, boxed etc.
As for stolen kit, they really do try and make sure that they take every precaution to avoid that.

Rare Bird
28-03-2012, 12:04
Front this place I bought a mint pair of Audiomaster 'LS3/5a' speakers complete with original chrome stands for less than a couple of rounds down the boozer. O yes they really dropped a clanger..

Macca
28-03-2012, 12:14
I also once saw a pair of Mission 780 Argonauts for £80 but sadly Mrs. B happened to be with me on that occasion and vetoed the acquisition. :(

:lol:

Covenant
28-03-2012, 14:45
I shall continue to call in whilst the wife is in Debenhams, M&S etc as I have got fed up perusing the hifi mags in Smiths-there is not much in them even for a free read!

sparrow
28-03-2012, 15:07
I bought a 1210 , Pioneer Amp and a pair of Gales speakers from them...these days they sell mostly junk. Overpriced junk at that..

Wakefield Turntables
28-03-2012, 16:23
I've seen a NAD 3020A amp going for £30 (which i didnt buy :doh:). I did manage to pick up a marantz cd67se cd player for £35, to my astonishment they have actually increased in value on eBay and go for at least £36 :lol: I have seen some Linn speakers. There does seem to be a glut of Mission speakers in my store in Wakefield, I saw some 760's going for £12!

petrat
28-03-2012, 17:21
About 12 years ago, I bought an original Sugden A21 for £18 at Bedford CC. I sold it about a year later for £90 .. probably the only time I've ever made any money buying and selling hi-fi.

birt
28-03-2012, 19:07
i bouught a 1210 online from their manchester branch november last. it was reduced as it hadnt sold quick enough and cost me 115 including postage . it turned out to be a 2007 model but does not have a lid!

seoirse2002
28-03-2012, 19:48
Bought a leak delta 70 at my local one for £10 and a rogers panthera for £20 as they hadnt got the din leads to check them out!! missed a michell focus for £110 though,but they have got greedy and are now charging big money for mostly crap..

icehockeyboy
28-03-2012, 22:39
Seems like most speakers they have in Nottingham have pushed in dust covers on the cones.......

PaulStewart
28-03-2012, 23:56
Sometimes you win, mostly as people have said over priced rubbish, but I always check them out. To date I have had
Marantz PM-66K1 Signature only a few weeks old £80 and when it blew an output transistor after a week they said send it to Marantz and send them the bill which they would pay (as it happens it was done under G'tee) A Rogers Ravensbourne Amp for £10 in mint working condition. A pair of Realistic Minimus 7s, the early ones made in Japan by JVC £7.49 in their sale. So always check them out.

joey
29-03-2012, 00:34
I have a friend who works in a store, and he lets me know if anything good ever comes in that i might be interested in, but normally its to much for what its worth, but i also take all there faulty returned items away for them so they dont have to pay to get rid of them, iv had some pretty interesting stuff over a year or so, there was a 1210, couple digital mixers ect but mostly is faulty Freeview players and DVD players witch go straight in the scrap bin!

BTH K10A
29-03-2012, 05:05
Although unaware until the auction had finished, the seller of the Westrex speakers I won turned out to be a cash converters.

They had no idea what they were selling, described them as GEC 1000 watt and put them in the disco section. From one picture of the front I took an educated gamble an it paid off.

Spur07
29-03-2012, 07:56
I used to pop into local stores every now and again but have since given up, as others have said they've got greedy and there's no real bargains anymore. I expect they google the f*ck out of everything they receive and probably use ebay as a guide to pricing. You can get stuff much cheaper elsewhere.

Fatsiuyau
30-03-2012, 22:19
Couple years ago at the local CC, I bought a nice Fuji F30 digital camera complete with original box and accessories for £45 (haggled down from £55):D The F30 a legendary 'low light high ISO' compact and sought after, eBay price around the time was upto £200:lol:

icehockeyboy
31-03-2012, 11:37
Bargains can still be found there, but as most agree the hifi stuff tends to be bashed about and over priced.
I got a Navman sat nav last year, current model which was retailing at the time for £180, for £40! Also a Hercules Steel DJ controller for around 1/3 of rrp.

aquapiranha
31-03-2012, 13:04
Not really cash converters, but there is a house clearance/ auction type place not too far away from me. I was there yesterday and they had a couple of old garrards that I did not recognise, much older I think than the 301/401. I will keep my eye on the place though as you never know...

amdismal
31-03-2012, 16:07
I once got a pair of Rogers LS3/5as in good nick for £55, so there are bargains to be had. That was in the Fulham one, must be 15 years ago now!

sparrow
31-03-2012, 19:24
I once got a pair of Rogers LS3/5as in good nick for £55, so there are bargains to be had. That was in the Fulham one, must be 15 years ago now!

When the Falkirk branch opened a while back they had loads of hi fi gear all reasonably priced..these days you get the odd piece but at a cost..my mate bought a Denon CD player which skips about 4 times per cd and being the type of guy he is he binned it instead of taking it back.:scratch:

snuffbox
11-04-2012, 20:10
Theres one of these sort of shops in Greenford,NW London all crap in there but there is a SL1210 for £150 if any one is interested.

joey
11-04-2012, 21:48
Urm this is a bit unexpected to be in a cash converters, a gyro deck, im not sure which one, my friend who works there sent me the pictures to see if i was intereresed but a bit to expensive for me at £1000 well there selling the power supply seprate to the deck, 799 for the turntable, and 199 for the power-supply i believe

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/0c94d9b1.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii204/joestanton4/231b3411.jpg

Spectral Morn
11-04-2012, 21:57
This looks weird. Weight stub missing from the arm and the covers to the springs missing (and yes I know it sounds better that way) dare I suggest a nicked one sold on. If the CC has all the missing bits then fair enough if not.....

Regards D S D L

joey
11-04-2012, 22:04
This looks weird. Weight stub missing from the arm and the covers to the springs missing (and yes I know it sounds better that way) dare I suggest a nicked one sold on. If the CC has all the missing bits then fair enough if not.....

Regards D S D L

apparently it was on buy back and the woman kept it going for 2 years before deciding she couldnt afford to buy it back

Spectral Morn
11-04-2012, 22:13
apparently it was on buy back and the woman kept it going for 2 years before deciding she couldnt afford to buy it back

Fair enough.

At the price they are asking it is imho too dear.

Regards D S D L

joey
11-04-2012, 22:17
Fair enough.

At the price they are asking it is imho too dear.

Regards D S D L

Yeah thats what i said to him, but iv always wanted one of these decks just the design of them appeals to me

Audioman
11-04-2012, 23:17
Yeah thats what i said to him, but iv always wanted one of these decks just the design of them appeals to me

The arm is possibly knackered and anyway need end stub and covers. You can almost buy a new SE without arm for that sort of money.

hifilover
16-04-2012, 09:03
I walked past the one in Preston a year or so back and noticed some Arcam stuff in there

Hate these places but though that the Arcam separates deserved a better place to be. Low and behold they had an Arcam CD192, Alpha 10P power amp and the Alpha 10 DAB tuner!

Bought the lot for £250 cash there and then!!!

Kept the CDP but sold the rest on fleabay... :D