PDA

View Full Version : Record Cleaning Machines

Rare Bird
27-03-2012, 23:36
Any views on the cheapest effective record cleaning machines, quietness is an important factor?

Yiangos
28-03-2012, 04:23
Hi Andre

You say "cheapest",that means no vacuming actiion i.e. manual operation.Not to worry then.It's the vacuming action the noisiest part of a record cleaning machine.

Audioman
28-03-2012, 08:39
Okki Nokki. Cheapest decent one. Not entirely quiet though but better than Moth. If you want quieter you will need to shell out for something like a Loricraft. Quiet and suction motors don't exactly go together.

chris@panteg
28-03-2012, 10:37
Hi Andre :)

10 years ago I had a Moth RCM and quiet it was not , It could wake up the dead , could even be considered a nuisance to my poor neighbors.

But it was very effective , don't think there is any quiet alternative I'm afraid

Macca
28-03-2012, 12:21
The Moth is as loud as, and sounds exactly like a vacuum cleaner. If you are concerened about neighbours complaining it should not be a problem thye will just think you are having a good hoover around. Okki-Nokki is a bit cheaper though.

snuffbox
28-03-2012, 16:08
Its about time these RCM were redesigned.
Horrendously expensive some of them and noisy.
Why not have a basic type of machine that you could just plug a normal household vacuum into,that way you save the expense of building a vacuum motor etc into a box with the rest of the gubbins.
Also why does it have to be a 12"sq box.
I wish I had a workshopand the time to play about with this sort of stuff.
I'm sure I could come up with something a lot more compact and affordable.

Stratmangler
28-03-2012, 16:15
Do you mean something like the KAB-EV1?
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/kabev1_e.html

snuffbox
28-03-2012, 16:19
Do you mean something like the KAB-EV1?
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/kabev1_e.html

Pretty much,yeah,wonder if anyone imports them into this country.

keiths
28-03-2012, 18:05
I did think about buying the KAB one, but with postage, vat and handling it was within £100 of what the Moth kit cost me to build up.

My Moth is permanently 'ready to go' set up next to my records (which are in my 'office') on top of a low cupboard (which stores the cleaning fluid, inner sleeves and other associated gubbins) at a nice comfortable working height. If I had to unpack a unit, find the vacuum cleaner and hoses, connect it all up etc., I don't think I'd be half as inclined to use it as often.

Jac Hawk
28-03-2012, 19:53
If you have loads of LP's that need cleaning at the same time then it's worth spending the cash on a vacuum RCM, however if space and price are important the knosti disco antistat's are really good, they get the LP's as crackle and pop free as a vacuum RCM but are just more of a mess on to use and the LP's will take about 3/4 hour to dry. I've got 2 now, i use 1 for washing and the other for rinsing and no word of a lie the end results in my opinion are as good, the only downside is that you use a lot of liquid about 400ml per bath, the stuff you get as standard is good and can be reused, but i use distilled water with a few drops of detergent in the wash bath and plain distilled water in the rinse bath and i don't reuse it, the only other thing is the drying time and if you're doing a load of LP's at once you have to let them dry off before re homing them in a new sleeve. But at about £30 a pop it's not the kind of money you have to think long and hard about spending;)

Spur07
29-03-2012, 08:04
I use the Knosti also but then I don't have anymore than 100 LP's (at the moment). As Jac says it works well but you have to keep the rinse bath fresh, and you'll always get a few drying marks if you look under a bright light but they don't affect play. Its good for really old LP's with caked in dirt because you can give them a really good scrub.

AlfaGTV
29-03-2012, 08:17
http://www.ollars.net/hififorum/Okki.JPG
This is my cleaning corner. The Okki is not quiet but it won't wake the deaf/dead either...
Outside the picture is my vinyl collection of about 3K LPs
Adding something like 20 records per month average, mostly used, and they all get a scrub!

Best audio investment ever!

BR /Mike

Macca
29-03-2012, 12:26
Outside the picture is my vinyl collection of about 3K LPs
Adding something like 20 records per month average, mostly used, and they all get a scrub!

Best audio investment ever!

BR /Mike

Agreed - I had given up on my record collection due to sticking, skipping and noise - getting an RCM opened up my whole collection for me again - I've bought about another 80 records since, mostly at £1 each. Combined with getting the SL1200 I now cannot wait to get back from work each night to spin some more vinyl:)

Rare Bird
29-03-2012, 16:32
Ok chaps DIY it's gonna have to be..Took me a micro second to design one :eyebrows:

snuffbox
29-03-2012, 17:42
Ok chaps DIY it's gonna have to be..Took me a micro second to design one :eyebrows:

Marginally quicker than me:)

Darren
29-03-2012, 18:05
Show us your design then Andrč....