PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 27.03.2012 - Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells', 1973

Beechwoods
27-03-2012, 13:53
One from the subs bench this week, and an album which shouldn't need any introduction. But is it actually an album, a life's work, or a dead horse that seems to get flogged every 8-10 years when Mike Oldfield checks his bank balance?!

I must admit that I love this album. It's about the only one of his that I do like, but it's great music, and it at the very least set the scene for virtually every one of Oldfield's subsequent releases. At my most cynical, I'd say that everything he's ever released since, is a reworking of the ideas on Tubular Bells.

It was pretty much ground-breaking when it was released. Technically, though rough around the edges, it's use of multitracking and dependency upon a single performer for virtually all the parts was a new thing. It was the album that launched Virgin Records, and it's doubtful that without it Richard Branson wouldn't be the household name he is today.

Oldfield was reportedly unhappy with some of the technical aspects, and did a fairly straight re-recording of it in 2003. It's a shame he chose to get John Cleese in to do the Master of Ceremonies piece. Far better would have been to use the original multi-track of Viv Stanshall. Not content with that, in 2009 he remixed the original and flogged that to a desperate and needy public. This is on top of the 'Orchestral' Tubular Bells in 1975, Tubular Bells II in 1992, Tubular Bells III in 1998, The Millennium Bell in 1999, The Best of Tubular Bells in 2001 and The Complete Tubular Bells in 2003. That horse must really be hurting by now.

Despite all this though, it's a great original album. I have the 'Boxed' set on vinyl (very thin vinyl, but sounds ok), and the SACD reissue, with the original Quad mix on, which does sound great in multi-channel.

As an aside, it's ironic that for an 'albums' artist it was the use of the main theme in The Exorcist, and it's subsequent edited release as a single that transformed Oldfield from a narrow appeal to bedsit hippies, to a part of the English cultural psyche...

I love the live performance on the BBC's '2nd House' as much for the stellar cast of accompanying musicians, including half of Soft Machine (Karl Jenkins and Mike Ratledge), and half of Gong (Steve Hillage and Pierre Moerlen).

sYE6VdslFb4

Spotify links to 1973 original mix:
http://open.spotify.com/track/5gF8obnp73ewJK7HxvdTl2
http://open.spotify.com/track/1rTSaxHhe9LUuy4jVgREI7

aquapiranha
27-03-2012, 15:36
Well it had to happen sometime didn't it? :lol:

I have been a fan of Mike Oldfield since I heard him as a teenager, and have I think virtually all of his output bar the more wishy washy later ones.. :doh:

Tubular Bells is of course a true classic, and you could argue that it's success lead indirectly to the success of others on the then instantly successful Virgin label. I love this album, and many of those that followed. Great choice!

:cool:

John
27-03-2012, 15:59
I think for me 5 describes it best there bits I really love and I do also find it grandoise at times.
I tend to perfer the original rather than the newer versions.
I kinbd of want to give it 6 but 5 fits so much better for me
Opps pressed the wrong button should of been 5 not 4

snapper
27-03-2012, 16:17
From Tubular Bells, to trains, planes and banks.

8 from me. Vinyl still gets an airing after wearing out a tape in the 70's.

I think I played this and Dark Side Of The Moon every night for about a year, until someone gave me a copy of Rubycon. Still 3 of my favourite albums.

sparrow
27-03-2012, 16:40
Wonderful album but what came later was IMO better. Better played and better produced. Ommadawn is a better album but MO had to start somewhere. The 2009 remix for me is THE version for newcomers to listen to. Much clearer and better overall sound. I have the SACD of the original and a few vinyl copies too..so I must like it. 8/10..

Audioman
28-03-2012, 09:52
Excellent Album. 8/10 from me but I like some others better. Agree Ommadawn is best of the early releases. Also like some of the more commercial 80's stuff. Moonlight Shadow is still my fav Oldfield track.

keiths
28-03-2012, 12:16
Oh well - here I am, having at last got Spotify on my main system (using Spotimc plug-in for XBMC) thinking I'm now set up to listen properly when someone chooses an album I haven't got for Album Club - and what happens? The first pick is an LP I've owned for 30-odd years.

I'm not sure what the year was when I bought my copy of Tubular Bells (it's not one of the early copies with the black and white label, but has the full-colour Roger Dean 'twins' label and the stamper codes are A4/B9), but it couldn't have been later than about 1975/76 I wouldn't have thought.

Of course, I play it regularly and am very familiar with it all, but will take a fresh listen before casting my vote.

Rare Bird
28-03-2012, 12:26
Your lucky you got 2/10 from me :D

Alex_UK
28-03-2012, 13:51
Great choice Nick - I think I've about 10 different copies of this on various formats... including a DVD-A rip I've never played - I also have just about all his other stuff, including II & III... This is also the first time that an artist has made a second appearance in Album Club - for those that missed it, Mark (Reid Malenfant) gave us Songs of Distant Earth back in November - Week 15 (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=266556). Looking forward to a listen with "fresh" ears. :)

Alex_UK
28-03-2012, 13:52
Oh well - here I am, having at last got Spotify on my main system (using Spotimc plug-in for XBMC) thinking I'm now set up to listen properly when someone chooses an album I haven't got for Album Club - and what happens? The first pick is an LP I've owned for 30-odd years.

:lol:

My "proper" turn again next week, so looks like a challenge! :eyebrows: But don't worry, it won't be Britney again! :D

Beechwoods
28-03-2012, 13:52
Your lucky you got 2/10 from me :D

You always did have a sweet spot for old Richard Branson!

Bazil
28-03-2012, 18:06
I haven't played it for this comment because there really is no need as I know it so well as do most people.Its an iconic album and a deffo 8/10 but that means, according to the poll blurb I not sure about his other albums,well I am sure and I like them so its 9/10.
btw. this is the 2nd Mike Oldfield album we've had, no problem just thought I'd mention it. :D

Barry
28-03-2012, 18:15
I have always liked this first offering from Mike Oldfield, even though it was not 'street wise' to confess such. But the definitive version must be the one featuring the late Vivian Stanshall 'introducing' the instruments.

Sad to say, when he says: "...plus tubular bells" followed by the first strike, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. :eek:

I'm giving it 8/10.

Jac Hawk
28-03-2012, 22:41
The problem for me is that Mike Oldfield arrived at the summit, he never really did anything better than his 1st album, most artists progress, slowly improving their craft, but for poor Mike Oldfield how do you top such a stonking 1st album, if you asked the average joe on the street to name a Mike Oldfield record, i would say 7/10 would be able to answer and would say Tubular Bells, but ask the same people to name 2 other LP's he's made and i think it would be down to 1/10. A cracking recording in my book and for me a solid 8/10:)

bogle111
28-03-2012, 23:28
Brilliant, 10/10 and one album that caused me to re-assess my opinions of some turntables I owned and their construction. One of those albums I didn't take to on the first hearing on a car radio. Immediately a favourite when played on vinyl. Like the orchestrated version as well. Hercest Ridge I like also.

Excellent choice. Just a shame he never progressed, as said, but where do you go from that one?

Regards
Pete

Beechwoods
29-03-2012, 06:26
The problem for me is that Mike Oldfield arrived at the summit, he never really did anything better than his 1st album, most artists progress, slowly improving their craft, but for poor Mike Oldfield how do you top such a stonking 1st album, if you asked the average joe on the street to name a Mike Oldfield record, i would say 7/10 would be able to answer and would say Tubular Bells, but ask the same people to name 2 other LP's he's made and i think it would be down to 1/10. A cracking recording in my book and for me a solid 8/10:)

I think you're right, Mike. I'm currently giving Ommadawn another go, after Paul / Audioman's comment and am really enjoying it, but it doesn't half sound like a 'remake' of ideas in Tubular Bells at times. Those sounds, arrangements must be burnt into his brain.

AlfaGTV
29-03-2012, 07:15
Well, i gave it an 8/10 as i do believe it is one of his better albums. But on the other hand i own most of his other work also.. :rolleyes:
4 vinyl releases of Tubular Bells and one SACD, bought the last LP 3 days ago! ;)

I really do like Crises and Five Miles Out also! (So sue me! ;))

BR Mike

Tim
29-03-2012, 17:27
Well here's an interesting choice for sure :eyebrows: If you had asked me to rate it in 1973 I would without doubt have given it a 10, now I'm not so sure. I have gone for years without listening to it, as I played it to death and cannot play it anymore. However, I will sit down and see how it fairs now, I might enjoy it again, which will be an interesting experiment?

Tim
03-04-2012, 16:08
Interesting experiment, but my initial thoughts were correct in that I don't really enjoy this album anymore. I certainly used too, but it now sounds dated and tired to me and holds not interest musically, so I can only score it 5/10 now.

Welder
10-04-2012, 19:05
Yeah, I spose it is a good album. I'm not sure which incarnation of it I have, but I have it. I think I listened to it all the way through last around a couple of years ago.
Can't quite seem to concentrate on it all the way through these days. Just sort of drift off into thought and don't really notice the music after a while.
Stale, thats the description I'm looking for. Very decent when fresh but gorn orf a bit over time. :D

keiths
16-04-2012, 18:26
I just can't vote on this one :scratch:

For what it was at the time and how much I raved over it on first listening, I could do nothing but give it 9/10, however nowadays it doesn't have anything like the same appeal - it's still a decent album, but Ommadawn was better and I feel it a bit sad that he keeps/kept revisiting Tubular Bells so frequently. On that basis I would vote 6/10 - but that would be ridiculous.

The Grand Wazoo
16-04-2012, 18:37
I realised it's time to do some catching up on the Album Club, not least because I'm up tomorrow!
No, I've never been able to get properly interested in anything Mike Oldfield has done for some reason. I gave my old copy of this a ceremonial cleaning on the RCM in order to give it the best chance it could have but to no avail, I'm afraid.
I can take it or leave it, but I just find it all a bit boring.
5 out 10 from me.

MartinT
20-04-2012, 06:29
It's a true classic but I don't own it at all. I suppose I should get a copy. Very much a one-trick pony with some of his other works sounding vaguely similar. 6/10 as that describes it perfectly for me :)

RichB
13-05-2012, 19:07
I dug out the Daily Heil copy i acquired from the mother in law and gave it a listen (what is with MILs and and right wing newspapers?:scratch:) it gets a four from me and I'm partial to a bit of prog too but its a bit twee for my tastes and I found myself reaching UFOrb after this. Mind the generation gap!

Audioman
13-05-2012, 19:23
I dug out the Daily Heil copy i acquired from the mother in law and gave it a listen (what is with MILs and and right wing newspapers?:scratch:) it gets a four from me and I'm partial to a bit of prog too but its a bit twee for my tastes and I found myself reaching UFOrb after this. Mind the generation gap!

You won't get this listening to the (do you mean Mail On Sunday ?) freebee. The SQ was atrocious.

shane
14-05-2012, 10:47
My main memory from 1975 was just how many people had Tubular Bells. Wherever I went to install hifi systems, it would get dragged out by proud new owners to try out their latest purchases. Little old ladies, retired bank managers, vicars, postmen, hippies, cool freaks, tinkers, tailors, soldiers, sailors, everyone had a copy of Tubular Bells, and everyone thought no-one else had heard of it and couldn't wait to show it off to me. For about three months, I hardly heard anything else. I don't think any album ever had the same sort of impact, with the possible exception of DSOTM. Despite that, I still love it.

pjdowns
09-09-2013, 22:24
Easy one this... 10/10!

Canetoad
19-09-2013, 10:01
9/10 for me. :)