PDA

View Full Version : Van Der Graaf Generator Vinyl

Rare Bird
26-03-2012, 13:55
I'm looking for a mint 1st issue (Must be USA or Canada) of VDGG 'Pawn Hearts' anyone!

Audioman
27-03-2012, 08:54
Surely a mint 1st UK is the best but very pricey. I had a Blue Hatter Charisma label that used early stampers and sounded pretty good. Never could get VDGG though. 4MWB are reissuing this and several other titles but you don't know what your getting SQ wise - had good or bad from this label. Good chance they have been supplied digital files as the tapes are owned by EMI in the UK.

Rare Bird
27-03-2012, 11:26
Surely a mint 1st UK is the best but very pricey. I had a Blue Hatter Charisma label that used early stampers and sounded pretty good.

UK editions don't have the 'Theme One'' track included.

Theo
27-03-2012, 11:50
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Pawn-Hearts-Still-Sealed-Orig-US-/110850217455?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item19cf3015ef

Says its original & still sealed.

YNWaN
27-03-2012, 12:32
I've got 'Pawn Hearts' - I wonder which one it is - will have a look in a bit.

snapper
27-03-2012, 13:36

The 4MWB (http://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Pawn-Hearts/release/3449934) issue has 'Theme One' included.

But as mentioned by Audioman, don't know what SQ is like. Currently listening to a Dutch '1Y' '2Y' pressing, sounds great, but sadly no 'Theme One'.

There ya go, most useless post of the week. Must be the sun.

YNWaN
27-03-2012, 14:07
I can't find my copy of Pawn Hearts - blooming sure I've got one - found Fools Mate (which has a similar cover).

Rare Bird
27-03-2012, 22:34
The 4MWB (http://www.discogs.com/Van-Der-Graaf-Generator-Pawn-Hearts/release/3449934) issue has 'Theme One' included.

But as mentioned by Audioman, don't know what SQ is like. Currently listening to a Dutch '1Y' '2Y' pressing, sounds great, but sadly no 'Theme One'.

There ya go, most useless post of the week. Must be the sun.

:lol: Yes i saw those 4MWB when they came out but never heard of the label! It's no big deal if it doesnt have ''Theme One'' but i always felt the fuzzy sounded better with it sandwiched between 'Lemmings' & 'Man-Erg'..

Mark:
If i misplaced my copy of 'Pawn Hearts' it would be the end of the world :eyebrows: However as you mentioned it PH's 'Foolsmate' is a good album as is 'Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night' & 'The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage' but i feel the latter could have been worked as a VDGG album that could'er been slotted between 'Godbluff' & 'Still Life' as i hear the style of both those album in a couple songs from it. ie: ''A Louse Is Not a Home'' & ''Red Shift''

All superb stuff

Audioman
27-03-2012, 22:35

Didn't say you are after Theme 1. One bit of music by VDGG I realy like. You could search out the single but I expect thats pretty rare or take a gamble on 4MWB.

Rare Bird
27-03-2012, 22:51
Didn't say you are after Theme 1. One bit of music by VDGG I realy like. You could search out the single but I expect thats pretty rare or take a gamble on 4MWB.

I already have the track on my Japanese CD edition of 'Pawn Hearts' but i'm wanting to dump CD's..

I think im gonna try the 4MWB edition, it's gonna be £20 ish cheaper than a first edition would cost me anyway..

Theo
28-03-2012, 08:56
I already have the track on my Japanese CD edition of 'Pawn Hearts' but i'm wanting to dump CD's..

I think im gonna try the 4MWB edition, it's gonna be £20 ish cheaper than a first edition would cost me anyway..

Yes, but it's most likely from the same digital master as your CD. Personally, I'd stick out for an original (I don't think the digital transfers are that good, tbh).

Audioman
28-03-2012, 09:03
Yes, but it's most likely from the same digital master as your CD. Personally, I'd stick out for an original (I don't think the digital transfers are that good, tbh).

It is most likely mastered for vinyl from digital files of higher res than CD or if your lucky they got hold of the US dub tape.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DER-GRAAF-GENERATOR-Pawn-Hearts-180G-Vinyl-LP-Gatefold-NEW-SEALED-/170793643318?pt=UK_Records&hash=item27c4182d36

Theo
28-03-2012, 15:41
It is most likely mastered for vinyl from digital files of higher res than CD or if your lucky they got hold of the US dub tape.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAN-DER-GRAAF-GENERATOR-Pawn-Hearts-180G-Vinyl-LP-Gatefold-NEW-SEALED-/170793643318?pt=UK_Records&hash=item27c4182d36

I wouldn't be so sure: the 4MWB LPs I've heard have come from a mottley collection of sources. Some pressings have been noticably poor ('Dusty in Memphis' especially).

Audioman
28-03-2012, 22:27
I wouldn't be so sure: the 4MWB LPs I've heard have come from a mottley collection of sources. Some pressings have been noticably poor ('Dusty in Memphis' especially).

I've not tried any recent offerings from 4MWB. I agree about the SQ on Dusty but pressing quality was top notch. Only others I have are the 2 Judee Sill releases and RT 'Shoot Out The Lights' which is better than my Hannibal. The JS titles sound pretty good too whatever the source.