PDA

View Full Version : Next for closure? Maplin

Gmanuk101
26-03-2012, 08:38
My laptop charger died, so seeing that I need my laptop I decided, on sunday morning, to take a trip to Maplin.

Dell OEM Charger £65
Other Charger with a million plugs ends and voltage selector £45

Told the guy it was a little bit pricey, he agreed and said well you're better of on eBay or Amazon really..lol

So eBay £10.

Now seeing that place is a rip off (IMO) I am wondering how long it will stay in business as they had 7 staff in all doing nothing.

Strange really.

DaveK
26-03-2012, 08:46
The only thing I can add is that Maplins opened a new branch close to me in early December last year and they did it by building new premises despite the fact that there was 2 empty units on the same 'mall' - strange behaviour if you're going bust?
Dave.

Gmanuk101
26-03-2012, 11:31
I wonder who is shopping there?

sparrow
26-03-2012, 11:32
I always found Maplin expensive. However they do always have in stock what I'm looking for. Our local shop is never busy though..be sad if they closed.

snuffbox
26-03-2012, 15:28
I've always found the staff to be polite and helpful,keeps me going back for bits and pieces.

sq225917
26-03-2012, 19:13
I spent #40 there last week

Reid Malenfant
26-03-2012, 19:18
You may think they are expensive, & yes I guess they are for certain things & low quantities. If you take a look at some of the cut cable they sell though & you need a good bit of it, they soon become very good value indeed :)

Folkboy
26-03-2012, 20:59
There's two stores in Southend. One in town that's been there for years and has a steady stream of men through it. Then they built a new one on a small trading estate sandwiched between Comet and a wine shop, a mere 2.5 miles away. Last time I went in there (and it is usually always empty) I paid three times as much for a pair of button cell batteries for kitchen scales than if I'd gone to Amazon or eBay. I think they got the rent cheap for the new store as it's on the site where the *new* Southend football stadium is to be built (if ever).

Puffin
27-03-2012, 06:57
be sad if they closed.

Not in my book. When I want a component I look at the store stock. My local is Guildford 17 miles away or Farnborough, about the same distance. They either have one capacitor or other component needed or maybe three of them. WTF use is one or three under normal circs. These bits would cost them peanuts (given their buying power) to keep a good stock of. If you order off the net they charge £2.99 for postage!

Maplin aren't interested in the electronics Diyer. I am not sure who they are supposed to appeal to. Their resistors are 26p each TWENTY SIX PENCE EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye Bye Craplin.......

mariah
03-04-2012, 08:55
Best Buy carries a ton of unbelievably popular stuff, like large plasma televisions and iPhones, but the company is hemorrhaging cash. Best Buy has publicized a round of layoffs and store closures as the chain looks to shave $800 million from the bottom line. Read further for more updates: Best Buy publicizes shop closures after posting huge loss (http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/03/29/best-buy-store-closures/)

It seems that stores today are now doing well in the business. I am thinking of the poor employees that will become uneployed because of the closure.

Reffc
03-04-2012, 09:55
I find that they either don't have the stock in my local store or can't answer any technical questions. For components, they're expensive. For cable, they're not good value either compared with the competition and the only decent cable they ever stocked is now no longer available, it has to be bought direct from the Netherlands....and is still cheaper, shipping and all than it was in their stores. For tools they're not too bad though.

MartinT
03-04-2012, 15:27
I'm currently in Houston, Mariah, and I've been commenting on how Best Buy stay in business. Their huge shops are invariably almost empty but they carry so much stock value and staff. My basic cashflow maths simply doesn't stack up. Yesterday I was in one and their systems were down. Rather than take my money they only offered to keeep my items aside for me to call in later. What kind of outlet can't 'make do' with manual methods?

Whereas they used to be the place to buy new SACDs and other media, they are now a bit sad and don't carry depth of stock in any media - obviously due to Amazon and the like. I predict they won't be around the next time I visit.

As for Maplin, I'll always support them as they used to supply me with all my components back to my earliest circuit building days after Home Electronics (remember them?) disappeared. To be fair, their mail order side has always been far better than their shops and I usually order things that I need online.

bobbasrah
03-04-2012, 15:35
As for Maplin, I'll always support them as they used to supply me with all my components back to my earliest circuit building days after Home Electronics (remember them?) disappeared. To be fair, their mail order side has always been far better than their shops and I usually order things that I need online.

+1

Mr Nad
03-04-2012, 16:48
Their rechargeable batteries are sometimes on good offer, and their B grade stock is pretty darn good price-wise.

Bought a satellite receiver there (SD only) for £35. And I have my eye out for an HD receiver at the moment. Their mail order is very good, and their returns policy is generous in my experience.

However, or replacement power supplies for laptops, I believe I bought mine (two) from Amazon. eBay did have them cheaper, but I like amazon's returns policy. I have a Sumvision branded PSU. Voltage switchable and has a connector for virtually every laptop. I use mine for an Advent (MSI) notebook and an HP notebook. Works a treat.

synsei
16-04-2012, 19:06
Our local Maplins outlet (Kettering) seem to achieve good sales on their DJ stuff but little of anything else. I agree with others, there are way too many super-keen, under trained staff who don't know how to let a customer browse. If I want help I'll ask for it... :doh:

DaveK
16-04-2012, 19:30
Our local Maplins outlet (Kettering) seem to achieve good sales on their DJ stuff but little of anything else. I agree with others, there are way too many super-keen, under trained staff who don't know how to let a customer browse. If I want help I'll ask for it... :doh:

IMO this sort of activity on the part of salesmen is caused by having b****y bean counters in charge of everything, including Sales and Marketing functions. Their view seems to be that if a salesman isn't actually busy 'interfacing' with the customer he's idle and probably not needed.
Typical of the trend of 'short-termism' that is becoming or has become predominant throughout UK business.
Dave.

Wakefield Turntables
16-04-2012, 21:19
+1 for helping Maplins out, I use them whenever I can. ;)