PDA

View Full Version : spendor ls3/5a - SPEAKERS

Wakefield Turntables
25-03-2012, 21:04
I'm thinking about getting rid of the Celestion ditton 15xr's and was considering some spendor ls3/5a. They'll be playing mainly vocal, jazz, accoustic music. They'll be sitting in my valve setup. So I was just wondering if anyone heard them and what they thought about them. Looking to hear your replies

Andy

ImpMan71
02-04-2012, 03:57
I have a set of Audiomaster ls3/5a's that I have set up on my Lecson AC1/AP1.
I listen to a lot of Jazz & all types of music & enjoy them - you can listen for hours & they are not tiring.
Some people say the treble can be a bit harsh, but I haven't experienced this with mine, It may be when you start turning them up loud - they don't go that loud & don't work so well in large rooms.
There is a good forum off the www.ls35a.com web site, you would probably be worth asking on there too, as there is likely to be someone with the same / similar amp.
They are meant to sing on valves - one day, when my six numbers come up :)
I'd definately recommend listening to some first, especially the silly money they go for these days.
Cheers,
Colin

hifi_dave
02-04-2012, 11:28
They are good but soooo expensive nowadays.

The LS3/5A has it's foibles such as low SPL and limited bass and is easily bettered now with speakers like the excellent Harbeth P3ESR, which is often a lot cheaper than the older model.

sweeter
02-04-2012, 11:51
GO FOR IT! I have 4 pairs and love em. As said before you can listen to them for hours on end without getting fatigued. They truly grow on you. They are NOT immediately impressive but seduce you over time. They just keep getting better the better quality 'ancilliaries' you throw at em!
I own 30 odd pairs of speakers which I constantly rotate/ trade/ swap but LS3/5a's remain!
Great for everything except heavy rock/ dance etc. Struggler with complex orchestral music too.

Marco
02-04-2012, 12:01
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AoS :)

Before you go any further, please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our members, telling what system you've got and what music you like, as you were asked to do in the registration email you received.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2012, 17:20
Andy,
As many people will point out, they're very good at what they do. Trouble is, there were designed to do a particular task & I think there are modern alternatives that do a better all round job.
However, if you must have LS3 5a's I can only think of one better amp to use with them with than your STA25.............and that's a pair of MA15's.

Wakefield Turntables
02-04-2012, 18:04
Andy,
As many people will point out, they're very good at what they do. Trouble is, there were designed to do a particular task & I think there are modern alternatives that do a better all round job.
However, if you must have LS3 5a's I can only think of one better amp to use with them with than your STA25.............and that's a pair of MA15's.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!! :eek: That is going to be one hell of an expensive bit of extra kit just to listen to a bit of jazz and vocal. Think I will stick to what I own. Thanks guys.

The Grand Wazoo
02-04-2012, 18:11
Sorry, that must have seemed like I was damning your STA25 with faint praise - Not in the least bit!

topoxforddoc
28-04-2012, 22:24
Andy,
I have a pair of Stirling LS3/5as (original not V2) and AB1s, which I use with my STA15. Great combination. Not quite the same as my Avantgarde Duos/TRON Voyager, but surprisingly good - in fact much better than they should be given everyone’s thoughts about the LS3/5a perceived faults. I also have a pair of LS3/5a clones with KEF drivers and a Falcon crossover - that sounds pretty much the same to me as my Stirlings.
Charlie

Rare Bird
28-04-2012, 22:32
Sorry, that must have seemed like I was damning your STA25 with faint praise - Not in the least bit!

I didnt see it that way Chris..

chelsea
28-04-2012, 23:00
Best i've ever hear them was with a very cheap early 80s sony reciever.

Yomanze
29-04-2012, 07:19
I'd go for the Spendor S3/5R for the same 'idea' just way better drivers and a magical midrange and treble. If I could pick up a pair of originals for £300 then I'd think about it for nostalgic value, but Spendor & Stirling are still doing a better job with the LS3/5A today.

maxrob200
15-05-2012, 01:32
Great vocals on LS3/5A! Wish I had bought a pair many years ago when they were relatively cheap. Doesnt play loud but lovely sound!

DSJR
15-05-2012, 15:26
You lot think LS3/5A's are still good on vocals?

Bollix :lol:

Maybe VERY early ones with the original white belly B110 bass units, but they got worse and the later KEF KIT ones (11 ohm version), were trounced by the original Harbeth P3, let alone the far superior ESR model, which bebefits from a longer throw bass unit, higher power handling and can do justice to Massive Attack if it's not too loud :eyebrows:

Macca
16-05-2012, 12:33
I had quite a long listen to some Ls3/5a at Scalford, never having heard them before, and was very impressed even though they are the opposite of what I like in a loudspeaker i.e small, insensitive, low power handling, no bass. The crazy price seemed to make more sense to me after that. Not to say the Harbeth version is not better of course...

Wakefield Turntables
16-05-2012, 17:51
I started this thread because I wanted a pair for my valve setup. All I can say is that I'm glad I didnt buy any. I bought some Celestion Ditton 44's for £105 delivered which are fantastic and sound every but as good with vocals as the LS3/5a's.

nat8808
16-05-2012, 19:20
They are good but unless you're buying them to do up and sell on or you're looking for somewhere to hide your money away from the banks, then there are much much better value speakers out there.

I'd take my Celestion SL700s, B&W Matrix 805s, Acoustic Energy AE2s ... over any pair of ls3/5as (pressuming you weren't allowed to sell them for profit).

Having said that, when I did compare some to my SL700s, the ls3/5as were immediately satisfying whereas the SL700s needed some moving about and perhaps more fussy with gear until they did things better (things that I like anyway).

jazzpiano
19-05-2012, 20:40
Yeah, LS3/5as are so obscenely priced that I wouldn't entertain the thought of buying a pair, what w/ potential driver degradation, not to say half the ones I see look like they were dropped off the back of a truck - so they mark them down, to $1500!
All that being said, I have owned them as well as Celestion SL6s, B&W DM 12s, 14s, Magnepan MG2bs, and Spendor SP1s, and they were by far the most enjoyable WITH MY KIND OF MUSIC (and that's key: 50s solo/trio jazz, string quartets, cello, Spanish guitar) than all but the Spendors and Maggies. More immediate, texture, timbre, air... no bass, could be a little "honky", but beautiful, especially w/ light-weight tube amps.
(the Maggies were exceptional w/ acoustic guitar and flute - might still get a pair just to get that experience back.. and they're just plain fun.)

Best,
Barry

The Black Adder
29-05-2012, 11:59
Superb focus and all rounder but not for me due to the lack of bass and weight. The LS3/5a's are superb in controlled environments, eg. sound studios for close field monitoring of mastered down mixes. You can get a lovely thumping bass in that environment. Bigger, much bigger ported designs in controlled rooms can sound flappy at high volumes.

In the home I feel in general there are too many reflections and thin the bass out big time.