PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PC to Av Amp

Macca
25-03-2012, 17:00
Just a quickie - my pc is right by the home theatre system so it strikes me I should hook it up so I can listen to U-tube clips, needle drops etc through proper amp and speakers instead of litle plastic active computer thingys. I'm not going into any complexity, so I just want a single lead that will go from my PC box into the back of the AV amp (it has TOSlink and SP/Dif inputs) job done.

Is there such a cable and if so what is it called?

or can I use the 3.5mm jack socket on the pc and connect with a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA phono? Would that work just as well?

bobbasrah
25-03-2012, 18:28
Ok Martin, digital or analogue available presumably on both.
If you have coax or optical out from your motherboard, feed the AV amp from either, failing which if you only have 3.5mm audio jacks, 3.5 to RCA split cable or adaptor.

Macca
26-03-2012, 12:30
Thanks Bob - analogue it is then I guess.

bobbasrah
26-03-2012, 14:02
Surprised you do not have a digital out from your PC Martin. Even my old P4 has an optical out alongside the analogue 3.5s straight off the board.
It might even be worth getting a cheap or secondhand/gash soundcard to get a digital out from the board as it gives a lot better audio IMHO. Plenty of them lying surplus these days....

The only reason I got a usb DAC in the end was because I was still using the old PC into the old 5.1 Pio, which had no digital inputs.

Even with a Ixos Y cable, the quality was ok but not brilliant.

Macca
27-03-2012, 12:40
Hi Bob

The PC was PC World online's cheapest desktop so it is not exactly festooned with features. It doesn't get used for much other than accessing the internet and I rarely download anything. I've got a proper hi-fi to listen to music on ;) - As long as I can get the sound out of it cheaply & easily I'm happy.

bobbasrah
27-03-2012, 13:25
Hi Bob

The PC was PC World online's cheapest desktop so it is not exactly festooned with features. It doesn't get used for much other than accessing the internet and I rarely download anything. I've got a proper hi-fi to listen to music on ;) - As long as I can get the sound out of it cheaply & easily I'm happy.

Fair enough Martin, you can pick up a ready made set from PCW or Woolies (are they still going?) 3.5mm to RCA L&R.:cool: Could even make a set up from old earphone cable and a set of RCAs....
Might still be worth looking in PCW's end of line bin for a sound card with optical/coax out if it's cheap enough... :D The way kids change out sound cards these days, I'd bet there are a heap of them lying around unused....;)
Have fun anyhow

RichB
27-03-2012, 14:53
I have a Dac Destroyer handling USB duties from a PC to my amps RCAs, can be picked up for around 30-40quid and really is very good for the money. The seller is Hot Audio on fleabay.

Mark Grant
27-03-2012, 15:34
If it is a low cost PC the onboard audio might not be much good.

A behringer UCA202 is an easy way to add an optical output and some phono outputs.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-low-latency-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332856151&sr=8-1

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html

Macca
28-03-2012, 07:51
Thanks Mark, looks like a handy gadget but more than I want to fork out.

icehockeyboy
31-03-2012, 12:24
I have Creative Labs Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card, complete with headphones out socket for sale, it is now back on page 1 of the private classifieds.
I used it for 2 channel use, and I think it should fit the bill. USB from your pc, with phono and 3.5 mm out

I have it on at £35 inc postage, but £30 for a quick sale?

Macca
31-03-2012, 12:36
I have Creative Labs Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card, complete with headphones out socket for sale, it is now back on page 1 of the private classifieds.
I used it for 2 channel use, and I think it should fit the bill. USB from your pc, with phono and 3.5 mm out

I have it on at £35 inc postage, but £30 for a quick sale?

Cheers Craig but again more money and hassle than want

There is some sort of slot on the front of my PC that is marked sd/mmc/sdhc//mmcplus/xD above it and ms/mspro below. What's that all about?

icehockeyboy
31-03-2012, 12:42
Cheers Craig but again more money and hassle than want

There is some sort of slot on the front of my PC that is marked sd/mmc/sdhc//mmcplus/xD above it and ms/mspro below. What's that all about?

Dunno.....card reader perhaps?

By the way, take a peep in your private :message box! :)

Edit> Not sure what you mean by too much hassle, it's a simple job to connect it all.

Just a usb lead that I would supply plugs into your PC, and then the output from your pc is directed into the soundcard, which you connect to your av amp with just a pair of phonos for 2 ch use, or if you want full 5.1, some 3.5 mill cables into the other sockets, and once againg just feed them into your av amp. :)

Macca
31-03-2012, 12:56
Dunno.....card reader perhaps?

By the way, take a peep in your private :message box! :)

Edit> Not sure what you mean by too much hassle, it's a simple job to connect it all.

Just a usb lead that I would supply plugs into your PC, and then the output from your pc is directed into the soundcard, which you connect to your av amp with just a pair of phonos for 2 ch use, or if you want full 5.1, some 3.5 mill cables into the other sockets, and once againg just feed them into your av amp. :)

So I don't need to fit it inside the case then? Sorry but last time I was into computers a VAX VMS was the dog's. I don't have a PM from you? Did you send it to the right Macca? There's an Aussie one as well IIRC:)

icehockeyboy
31-03-2012, 13:03
Ah! I see what you mean, no, this is a small box which sits outside your PC.
As for the PM, I sent it to yours, but will send it again.