PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Derbyshire

Whitepeak
24-03-2012, 12:19
Hello everyone

I seem to have got sucked into HiFi somehow; not sure how it happened. I still contend that I am not really into it (and I believe it) but I am into music and want it reproduced without nasties and reasonably faithfully.

I have limited experience of 'kit' only recently changing most of my system from highish power Musical Fidelity pre/power and ATC speakers to something which I feel is more subtle, a little easier on my old ears and a bit more refined - which suits my taste in music which although eclectic favours Jazz and Classical.

I now have an Art Audio preamp/phono, a diminutive Monarchy Audio Sp70 and Reference 3A de Capo speakers. From 150 watts to about 15 and I am happy with it - well apart from wanting to try a valve power amp.

I don't like talking about myself so I'm going to shut up now.
Anthony

Marco
24-03-2012, 14:25
Nice one, Anthony. Welcome to AoS! I hope you enjoy it here :)

Marco.

Barry
24-03-2012, 14:45
Welcome from me as well Anthony.

You have done the right thing in changing to a system that you enjoy listening to.

Subtlety over resolution in my book anyday! Too many systems can be as difficult to listen to, as it would be to read a book with a 1000w spotlight illuminating the pages!

Don't worry about keeping yourself to yourself. All we like to know about members is the type of music they like and the gear with which they use to listen to it.

We're not really nosey here, though one member, in welcoming you, might enquire about the curtains of your listening room!

Welcome again

Regards

keiths
24-03-2012, 15:45
A warm welcome from me too Anthony :wave:

Reid Malenfant
24-03-2012, 18:38
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum from me as well :) I have often wondered what those little Monarchy Audio amps sound like, while they may well be low powered I'm pretty sure they are proper class A designs :scratch:

Bests to you & enjoy your stay!

jazzpiano
25-03-2012, 02:48
Warm Welcome Anthony!
Nice to have another jazz and classical fan. Nuance and timbre are wonderful.

Best,
Barry

Whitepeak
26-03-2012, 14:31
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum from me as well :) I have often wondered what those little Monarchy Audio amps sound like, while they may well be low powered I'm pretty sure they are proper class A designs :scratch:

Bests to you & enjoy your stay!

Hello Mark

Yes, I am sure most people dismiss this little amp because it is small, low powered and relatively inexpensive. But being class A and zero feedback makes it just a little exotic and hints at its potential.

I read a review a few years ago by Roy Gregory in HiFi+. The review was very positive stating it 'performed way way above its price point', it 'performed much better than most SET amps' (in his experience - controversial I know), 'boogies like a bastard' and ' for many people this will be all the amp they will ever need'. He was so impressed he built a system around it.
It is not an amp to impress your friends with though.

Bests to you too