PDA

View Full Version : One Show Vinyl feature.

Audioman
22-03-2012, 09:31
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01djnrf/The_One_Show_16_03_2012/

Missed This. 12 mins into programme.

Only up until tomorrow. They repress Cilla single at Music Factory and Chris Evans plays it on a Techie. Also visit to HMV.

HMV selling vinyl ? Obviously only in London. Went into the Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) HMV a couple weeks ago and no sign of a vinyl record. Please deliver on your marketing bullshit HMV or you will be out of business.

Marco
22-03-2012, 10:52
I saw it, Paul, and have recorded it - an excellent article! I too was suprised at the HMV store selling vinyl - most definitely a rarity!! :D

I note that Tannoys were used - how discerning, lol... Looks like a Garrard 401 with an SME3009 and Stanton 500 cartridge, which was the same cartridge used by Chris Evans, on the Techy, on Radio 2.

Marco.

Audioman
22-03-2012, 11:53
I just wish that when HMV announce they are selling vinyl they provide a nice rack full in all their larger stores. Would like an alternative to Amazon/Diverse mail order or paying £6 to visit the later across the Severn Bridge.

Which brings me off topic - time to start another anti fuel tax and road toll petition on Downing Street web site I think. Better still if hauliers did another physical protest as in 2000.

Reffc
22-03-2012, 12:14
I thought the One Show article was very poor as it told you very little. Chris Evans had zero interest in the process or fidelity side of things. I did like that studio complete with original Tannoys, Garrard 401 and SME arm though!

There are better descriptive articles on "interweb" such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByt8IinjC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-F3Rq7heY

Spectral Morn
22-03-2012, 12:25
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01djnrf/The_One_Show_16_03_2012/

Missed This. 12 mins into programme.

Only up until tomorrow. They repress Cilla single at Music Factory and Chris Evans plays it on a Techie. Also visit to HMV.

HMV selling vinyl ? Obviously only in London. Went into the Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) HMV a couple weeks ago and no sign of a vinyl record. Please deliver on your marketing bullshit HMV or you will be out of business.

Agreed :(

Only a handful in the HMV store in Belfast. I am surprised they have not increased the stock as the recently departed Head store did very well on vinyl sales.

Regards D S D L

Haselsh1
22-03-2012, 13:14
My No1 store for vinyl used to be Track Records in York until they went out of business. It was predictable though as they moved location in the city centre without actually telling anyone where they were going.

Audioman
22-03-2012, 13:21
I thought the One Show article was very poor as it told you very little. Chris Evans had zero interest in the process or fidelity side of things. I did like that studio complete with original Tannoys, Garrard 401 and SME arm though!

There are better descriptive articles on "interweb" such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iByt8IinjC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-F3Rq7heY

Err it's a popular entertainment / public interest show not for audiophiles. Enough there to stimulate interest. Don't know if Chris Evans has any interest in SQ but would like to think he would spend a small fraction of that £5 million Ferrari he bought and sold on Hi-Fi.

Marco
22-03-2012, 13:59
Yup - anytime vinyl and serious audio (in general), is mentioned on prime-time TV, has got to be a good thing! :)

Interesting if the BBC are now using stock SL-1210s to broadcast any vinyl played, if indeed that is the case... I'd have thought that they still had a few SP10s lying around.

Marco.

Audioman
22-03-2012, 14:44
Yup - anytime vinyl and serious audio, in general, is mentioned on prime-time TV, has got to be a good thing! :)

Interesting if the BBC are now using stock SL-1210s to broadcast any vinyl played, if indeed that is the case... I'd have thought that they still had a few SP10s lying around.

Marco.

If they have they have been dismantled from their custom cabinets. Most have been sold off or dumped I guess. There is no way they could accomodate anything other than a stand alone deck in their modern digital studios. Most don't even have CD players. I think CD's are only played by those DJ's that require music that is not on the digital servers. Vinyl is only used very occasionaly.

Paul.

Marco
22-03-2012, 15:24
I think you're right, Paul, judging by how clumsily Chris Evans played the record - I think he even initially played it at the wrong speed! :doh:

It shows how little he has to do that kind of thing these days....

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
22-03-2012, 17:21
I did catch this on the One Show but what really brought a smile to my face was the 301/3009 and Tannoy setup in the vinyl factory. You could just tell that setup has probably been there for decades with no silly bugger wanting to spend thousands on it trying to upgrade it (just like me ;)).

Beobloke
22-03-2012, 19:43
I've just watched it and have to say I'm very disappointed in you all! The deck on which the brand new 45 was played was actually a Monitor Audio ET500 fitted with SME and Stanton.

As this is an eighties Direct Drive, it does make one wonder what happened to the original turntable that must have resided there to go with the Tannoys.

Everyone - 100 lines "I must recognise my old turntables". Off you go!

:D

Marco
22-03-2012, 22:05
Lol... I just gave the right answer, albeit in a roundabout way - you can bet your boots that it would've been a 301 or 401 in there originally! ;)

Marco.

mike1210
24-03-2012, 16:31
For Info, Cardiff HMV have an isle of vinyl now. Mostly old rock albums on 180 gram vinyl and some dance albums also

The Black Adder
24-03-2012, 22:44
Not sure about HMV but the Virgin store in San Fran has been selling vinyl for years. I bought some from there a few years ago. Probably not the best place but after walking down some dodgy streets just out of town looking for a cult vinyl shop I tuned back, not worth it... Striding over a sea of homeless sleeping people and guys wearing hair nets I figured no record is worth that.