PDA

View Full Version : The Shins - Port of Morrow. Just ordered my copy on ¼" reel to reel

Beechwoods
21-03-2012, 21:53
It seems that some bands still have class. US band The Shins have released their latest album 'Port Of Morrow' on ¼" reel to reel, 7½ips, quarter-track stereo...

http://www.myplaydirect.com/the-shins/features/26644503

It is £68, delivered to the UK but I think it's a great album, reminds me of The Flaming Lips seminal album 'The Soft Bulletin' and it's not at all common to find new releases on reel to reel. Anyway, I'll be getting my copy in 8-9 days. Really looking forward to getting it!

http://open.spotify.com/album/7bRzPsZ5ODf8STVgpFIQsS

Barry
21-03-2012, 22:19
It seems that some bands still have class. US band The Shins have released their latest album 'Port Of Morrow' on ¼" reel to reel, 7½ips, quarter-track stereo...

http://www.myplaydirect.com/the-shins/features/26644503

It is £68, delivered to the UK but I think it's a great album, reminds me of The Flaming Lips seminal album 'The Soft Bulletin' and it's not at all common to find new releases on reel to reel. Anyway, I'll be getting my copy in 8-9 days. Really looking forward to getting it!

http://open.spotify.com/album/7bRzPsZ5ODf8STVgpFIQsS

£68 sounds a lot for a piece of music software. But it'll sound excellent on your Nagra IV-S! :)

But then you're a bit of a 'tape head' and have several R-R machines at your disposal. :scratch:

Nice one Nick

Let us know how you find it.

Regards

Beechwoods
21-03-2012, 22:27
I will, Barry. I'm interested to see if it sounds better than the old factory produced reel to reel albums from the early 70's, which could be a bit hit and miss quality wise. I've read good stuff about this particular release, and I suspect it's been duplicated carefully, given it's a limited edition, and will be purchased by people who give a damn about how it sounds.

It's a shame, but it's not a half-track tape; so it'll have to go on one of my quarter-track machines. The Nagra won't do it. So it'll be the Technics, Pioneer, Tandberg or Uher 4400 for this one! (or my Sony TC377, forgot about that one ;))

Barry
21-03-2012, 22:30
I will, Barry. I'm interested to see if it sounds better than the old factory produced reel to reel albums from the early 70's, which could be a bit hit and miss quality wise. I've read good stuff about this particular release, and I suspect it's been duplicated carefully, given it's a limited edition, and will be purchased by people who give a damn about how it sounds.

It's a shame, but it's not a half-track tape; so it'll have to go on one of my quarter-track machines. The Nagra won't do it. So it'll be the Technics, Pioneer, Tandberg or Uher 4400 for this one! (or my Sony TC377, forgot about that one ;))

Oops! Should have spotted that. Anyway, it will be a good test to see if you managed to sort out the head alignment on the Uher. :)

Cheers

Beechwoods
21-03-2012, 22:31
You're right, a factory aligned test-tape if ever there was one!

Welder
22-03-2012, 18:50
I'm a bit partial to some shins. ;)
I had no idea anyone released new stuff on tape these days. Its a bit of a shame it's on quarter inch.
If you like The Shines then you may well like Broken Bells.

realysm42
22-03-2012, 22:29
What's reel to reel sound quality like, better than your average tape cassette?

The Grand Wazoo
23-03-2012, 00:03
Martin:
With a bit of luck & a following wind, it can be better than your average everything!

Nick:
Fab! The price is a bit rich for me, but I'd love to have been able to give this a whirl. It even looks like it comes on an aluminium spool!!

Barry
23-03-2012, 01:17
Martin:
With a bit of luck & a following wind, it can be better than your average everything!

Nick:
Fab! The price is a bit rich for me, but I'd love to have been able to give this a whirl. It even looks like it comes on an aluminium spool!!

For £68, it bloody well ought to!

Marco
23-03-2012, 01:47
I believe that you also get a small bottle of the lead singer's bath water ;)

Nice one, Nick - enjoy. I love The shins!

Marco.

Audioman
23-03-2012, 11:43
There's a company in USA doing loads of reissues like this. If you have a great reel to reel it does look a viable option. In comparison I have paid £55 for 45rpm vinyl editions and some of the limited cd or vinyl box sets cost far more than £68. I believe they are copied in real time from the original master tapes. On that basis they are probably not that overpriced.

realysm42
23-03-2012, 16:46
Cool thanks for the info, enjoy your better than average recordings ;)

Beechwoods
25-03-2012, 16:21
There's a company in USA doing loads of reissues like this. If you have a great reel to reel it does look a viable option. In comparison I have paid £55 for 45rpm vinyl editions and some of the limited cd or vinyl box sets cost far more than £68. I believe they are copied in real time from the original master tapes. On that basis they are probably not that overpriced.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were realtime duplicated. I doubt there are many properly functional high-speed duplicators still working, and realtime duplication for a limited run would probably be easier to arrange these days.