PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - 20.03.2012 - The Cranberries 'Everybody Else Is Doing It..' (1993)

Audioman
20-03-2012, 12:03
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JzUxlPfpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Cranberries - Full title - Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We ?

At the time not my usual choice in music but was tempted by the limited vinyl edition and the catchy hits. An album that can be described as Irish Brit Pop famous for the hit 'Linger' but it is full of excellent songs. Also well produced with great drums and deep bass. Dolores O'Riordan sings with a strong Irish accent that may not be to everyones taste but the catchy tunes and sublime arrangements draw you into this album. I have just purchased their comeback album but yet to listen which reminded me how good this was.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1pyh6iM7r1lvWgab6BEMMs

This is the Original album - better SQ than the 'Complete Sessions' version below.

http://open.spotify.com/album/6AR5l9eEiU5gMPv2wT1L9A

The album was available on vinyl as well as CD and came in a black sleeve with the CD booklet inside. Initialy numbered limited many more pressed due to demand so it is not as rare as claimed. Unfortunately crazy asking prices of £90 upwards at present. The vinyl is superb sounding if you can find it for sensible money BTW.

Bazil
20-03-2012, 15:00
Love Linger and always meant to investigate The Cranberries further, now is my chance :)

keiths
20-03-2012, 15:21
Wow, not played that one for years. Looking forward to giving that a spin later (not on vinyl, sadly).

MartinT
20-03-2012, 20:46
I only have the CD but have loved this album for years. O'Riordan's strong accept doesn't bother me, in fact it gives real character to the songs. Linger is an all-time classic but all the songs are listenable and Dreams is another cracker.

Thanks for the excuse (as if I need one) to play it again.

aquapiranha
20-03-2012, 21:47
I have liked this for years, and I give it 8/10. :)

MartinT
20-03-2012, 22:29
8/10 from me too.

So who gave it 1/10 and didn't comment on why here? :scratch:

Welder
20-03-2012, 22:34
8/10 from me too.

So who gave it 1/10 and didn't comment on why here? :scratch:

It wasn't me this time, honest. :eyebrows::D

I'm still cringing but persevering to the end. I'll vote if I get there. ;)

John
21-03-2012, 05:20
Not really my thing but good catchy pop

I am afried 4 sums it up for me

Audioman
21-03-2012, 10:57
It wasn't me this time, honest. :eyebrows::D

I'm still cringing but persevering to the end. I'll vote if I get there. ;)

Yea own up you coward. Should have selected option to list voters ! I picked this partly because I thought it would polarise opinions. Also a lot of people who I believe would like it must have passed this over at the time as lightweight pop. Seeing the Cranberries on Jules Holland (he has been going that long) convinced me otherwise. BTW their new album 'Roses' is almost as good or could be even better with time.

The Grand Wazoo
21-03-2012, 11:53
Nope, it's not for me, this one, I'm afraid.
If it weren't for Album Club, I doubt I'd have got past the first play, but I persevered and listened to it 3 or 4 times. It's playing again now & I just can't engage with it at all.
I don't know whether it's Spotify or the accent (which I doubt, having been going to Ireland regularly for the last 20 years) or is it just me, but the singer doesn't sound like she means it. I prefer a bit of emotional commitment in a vocalist & this just sounds like she's singing the words from an autocue, having never seen them before & not knowing what's coming next.

That'd be a 2 then.

Welder
21-03-2012, 12:44
At my most charitable my suggestion is Dolores O’Riordan invests whatever money she has earnt in singing lessons; failing that autotune.
She cant hold a note, she has no breath control and her timing is poor.
Apart from the above, i don’t like the material and wouldn’t keep this if it was given to me let alone pay money for it.

Having had k d Lang preceded her probably hasn’t helped who can sing even if I don’t always like what she sings.

Just one more band that will hopefully slip into obscurity; the sooner the better.

1/10

keiths
21-03-2012, 14:39
Excellent album that I've owned since it came out - I was working quite often in Dublin at the time and 'Linger' was on the radio all the time. One of the girls in the sales office of the company that I was working for was from Limerick and knew Delores O'Riordan.

It was good to play this again after a fair while and I still enjoy it very much. 8 out of 10.

griffo104
21-03-2012, 15:30
The 4/10 description pretty much sums it up for me. Nothing too bad here but nothing outstanding or has the potential to grab me and want me to listen again.

However, I wouldn't moan about it if I was round someone's and they put it on. I've heard a lot worse.

I may be being a bit harsh here though so I may review later in the week.

Bazil
21-03-2012, 19:10
I thought I was really going to like this as I like the singers voice, there is another song they do which is really good, don't know the name, something to do with English soldiers and the chorus goes Tommy, Tommy Tommy, I think. Anyway I was hoping for some songs in that vein but most of them are a bit bland.
Just a 5/10 from me.

Beechwoods
21-03-2012, 20:32
As a bit of a J-Pop / C-Pop fan, I've always liked Faye Wong's cover of 'Dreams', aka 'Dream Person'.

HJuLg3AD8Rg

It's worth hearing, even if you don't like Dolores O'Riordan's own vocal presentation.

MartinT
21-03-2012, 20:52
Interesting substitution of the Irish with Japanese accent there, Nick.

Beechwoods
21-03-2012, 20:54
Interesting substitution of the Irish with Japanese accent there, Nick.

Definitely, though it's Cantonese :D - Easy mistake for the untrained ear ;)

MartinT
21-03-2012, 21:46
Oops! :rolleyes:

Canetoad
22-03-2012, 08:31
8 out of 10 for me. I've been listening to this for the last couple of weeks. Previously hadn't listened to it for years. Brings back memories. :)

DanJennings
24-03-2012, 09:46
I thought I was really going to like this as I like the singers voice, there is another song they do which is really good, don't know the name, something to do with English soldiers and the chorus goes Tommy, Tommy Tommy, I think. Anyway I was hoping for some songs in that vein but most of them are a bit bland.
Just a 5/10 from me.

I think you might possibly be thinking of this one, and the chorus actually goes 'Zombie, Zombie, Zombie'

6Ejga4kJUts&ob

Tim
24-03-2012, 11:46
I thought I wasn't familiar with this album at all, but just checked my collection and I seem to have it :doh:
Can't say I ever remember playing it before, so will give it some listens over the weekend.

Tim
29-03-2012, 17:29
Well I gave it a listen, but can't really say I enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I haven't played it before, at least I don't think so and I have no idea how or when it arrived in my collection, the only thing I can think is that it belonged to an ex?

A bit too pop for me and I can't get on with Dolores O'Riordan's voice at all, I really don't like her yodelling style, especially on Waltzing Back - reminds me to much of Bjork, who I can't listen to either. O'Riordan's vocal style is far too sloppy and inconsistent for my tastes. In fact sometimes I'm scratching my head thinking what the heck is she doing, is she drunk or half asleep :scratch: On this occasion I am fully in agreement with John (Welder). I quite like some of the songs and the composition, but O'Riordan sets my teeth on edge.

Interesting conundrum as to why I own it, but not as to why I don't play it - I doubt I will ever listen to it again and because I don't like the vocals, it only gets a 3/10 . . . sorry, just not my thing.

aquapiranha
29-03-2012, 22:43
reminds me to much of Bjork, who I can't listen to either.

You don't like Bjork, Tim? You bad, bad man! :ner:

I have her solo CD and I think it is pretty good!

Tim
29-03-2012, 23:29
Tim? You bad, bad man! :ner:
That has been said before ;)

(which CD do you mean Steve, I guess I can always give it a go?)

aquapiranha
30-03-2012, 22:13
That has been said before ;)

(which CD do you mean Steve, I guess I can always give it a go?)

It is this one..

http://ukrmedia.biz/images/products/dolores_solista.jpg

I like it anyway :)

Tim
30-03-2012, 22:17
It is this one..

http://ukrmedia.biz/images/products/dolores_solista.jpg
Ah, I thought you meant Bjork . . .doh :doh:

aquapiranha
30-03-2012, 22:37
Lol Tim. I see you have been trying Debut, what did you think?

Tim
30-03-2012, 22:53
Lol Tim. I see you have been trying Debut, what did you think?
Hmmm, not much to be honest, it just confirmed that Bjork isn't for me. I tried though ;)

aquapiranha
30-03-2012, 22:54
Hmmm, not much to be honest, it just confirmed that Bjork isn't for me. I tried though ;)

Oh well, nobody is perfect.... :lol:

Reid Malenfant
31-03-2012, 19:04
Some of the tracks take me back... While it's not K.D. Lang quality I still enjoyed it, though I reckon I added some to the overall score I gave it due to the older tracks invoking memories :)

6/10 from me.

RichB
02-10-2012, 10:03
A seven from me, it was enjoyable enough. I picked up the CD for a quid on the bay and listened to it in the car for a few weeks. I dont regret the purchase for a quid.