PDA

View Full Version : Arcam A85 fault

keiths
19-03-2012, 17:27
Hi all,

In advance of building myself some new speakers, I decided to re-arrange the room (as the speakers I'm about to make won't fit well with the current arrangement). Having completely dismantled my system, moved everything and plugged everything back in, my Arcam A85 amp won't power up. Completely dead - no power LED or anything. Have checked the mains cable, mains socket and fuse and the two internal fuses near the IEC inlet inside the amp - all OK. No burning smells or and bulging caps or anything.

Anything obvious I'm missing? I've double-checked all the connections that I'd made to the amp and there's no way anything has got shorted or otherwise badly connected. Seems odd that just moving the amp has caused this - it didn't get dropped or banged or anything during the move around.

Total PITA as I've stretched my finances to the limit in buying materials to build my Frugal Horns Mk3 (in fact overstretched them as I've upgraded my build to use birch ply instead of MDF) :(

Any suggestions what to try next?

prestonchipfryer
19-03-2012, 17:47
Sort of obvious, but have you tried plugging the amp into a different outlet?

keiths
19-03-2012, 17:53
Hi John,

Yep - and have also tried plugging other things into the outlet I'd had the amp plugged in to - all of which showed no problems with the outlet (did the same for the IEC cable too - again, nothing wrong with the cable)

keiths
19-03-2012, 18:44
YAY - FIXED IT :) :) :)

I had the amp tilted forward with the facia resting on my knee whilst I made the connections to the amp from the top (with the shelf above the amp in the rack removed) and one of the source selector buttons (which are 'momentary contact' type switches) must have been pressed against my knee and got pushed in and trapped behind the facia :doh: Removing the facia allowed it to 'pop out' and, on re-assembly it all powered up normally.

One happy bunny :D

AND the drive units for my Frugel Horn Mk3s have just arrived :cool: Great service from spectrumaudio.de - only ordered them last Wednesday.

prestonchipfryer
19-03-2012, 19:29
Phew! :thumbsup:

aquapiranha
19-03-2012, 20:00
Keith. What a coincidence! I am also about to start building a pair of FH3's. I am using CSS EL70's which were ordered last week and have not yet decided whether to use ply or MDF or even solid ash to build the cabinets. In fact, I am debating that subject at Audio Talk now.

Let me know about your build, drivers etc..

Oh, and to up the 'twighlight zone' level, I used to have an A85, and later a P85 too...
Steve

keiths
19-03-2012, 21:34
Hi Steve,

I've gone for Mark Audio CHP-70s (the older ones - not the latest ones with the rolled-off response). I'll start breaking them in (Mark recommends they are used at very low volume for at least 100 hours before gradually working them a little harder) whilst I build the enclosures. I was originally planning to get one of Toppsy's flat-packs, but a couple of minor crises have eaten some of my budget, so I'm having to save some cost by doing a 100% DIY job. I was going to go for 18mm MDF, but have managed to find the extra few quid for birch ply. Haven't entirely decided how I'm going to finish them - current plan is to veneer the front of the baffle and the top and either paint or stain and varnish the sides and back.

I might also go for the Frugel Supertweeter too - I've already ordered the drive units from Creative Sound Systems (http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ERT26) in Canada as they are very cheap and are on a 'buy one get one free' offer at the moment.

I used to have the P85 power amp too (used with the A85 to bi-amp), but sold it on when I needed to 'downsize' the system a few years ago.

aquapiranha
19-03-2012, 22:55
Hi Keith. I would agree that BB ply is better than MDF if you can get some. I might look inti adding a tweeter if I feel I need one at some point. I will hopefully use solid ash hardwood for the build, not 100% sure yet. I take it you plan on using the A85 with them? I have a choice of a Bantam and an old Arcam alpha 2 :lol: but, I plan on getting another amplifier board in the near future, maybe another Tripath we shall see.

:)

keiths
19-03-2012, 23:15
I take it you plan on using the A85 with them?
:)

I'll be using the A85 initially, but the amp will be the next thing I change.