PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Record Shops

Rare Bird
19-03-2012, 13:54
I noticed two Vinyl shops on Oldham Street : Picadilly Records & Vinyl Exchange!

Does anyone know the shops & whats the prices likes, most importantly im looking for Progressive & Psychedelic Rock vinyl! are these places for me?

Wakefield Turntables
19-03-2012, 13:58
I've never been to any vinyl shops in Manchester but my previous exploits around Nottingham, Newcastle and Leeds have been documented. I notice your in S.Yorkshire, I'm in West Yorkshire ;), anyway, have you considered travelling to Leeds :scratch: I think I visits four or five very good places. Just something you might want to consider. :D

Rare Bird
19-03-2012, 14:03
Hi Andrew:
Yeh i'm up for travelling about, the wife loves travelling..If you could let me know where abouts you've been & if they sell the type of music ive out lined, id appreciate that..All the old shops i used to buy from have long gone :(

Macca
19-03-2012, 14:08
Not been to Vinyl Exchange in about 10 years but I used to go up there once a month -they did use have a very good selection of pretty much everything - worth popping in there for a look at least.

Wakefield Turntables
19-03-2012, 14:16
Andre,

Have a read of this thread

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13478&highlight=LEEDS+RECORD+SHOPS

You might get some ideas

;)

SquireC
19-03-2012, 14:47
Piccadilly tends to have new vinyl. Vinyl exchange has second hand vinyl. Both worth a look. There's also another shop around the corner - near the traffic lights - that does second hand vinyl.

Worth a visit - you never know.:)

Clive
19-03-2012, 16:15
Sifters for low prices, the rare stuff goes on ebay.

Its not in the centre though.

http://www.recordshopcity.co.uk/the-shops/sifters

Rare Bird
20-03-2012, 22:51
Thanks Chaps.. um quite a few shops to have a go at but i'll mull it over for a week as im not convinced moving back to vinyl is a wise idea for me, infact im 99% sure it's not.

Rare Bird
30-03-2012, 08:22
Not been to Vinyl Exchange in about 10 years but I used to go up there once a month -they did use have a very good selection of pretty much everything - worth popping in there for a look at least.

Ok i'm off to Manchester in a few mins..See what i can see :)

Wakefield Turntables
30-03-2012, 08:35
:lol: Make sure you fetch back lots of 12" slabs of vinyl!!

Rare Bird
31-03-2012, 17:54
have you considered travelling to Leeds

Record fairs in Leeds

http://leedsrecordfair.co.uk/

Macca
31-03-2012, 17:56
Did you find anything in Manchester then, Andre?

BlueEyes
31-03-2012, 19:17
The best place In Manchester for new vinyl is Fopp just off Market Street.

They went bust and were bought out by HMV so have access to all the vinyl through that supplier.

Fantastic place for all video and audio and the prices are cheap!

it undercuts Piccadilly records and all the vinyl is in sealed packages unlike Piccadilly records.

They are friendly people and even rang me last week to tell me my Kid A on double 10" vinyl was now in from the States.

Thoroughly recommended.

Rare Bird
31-03-2012, 22:39
Did you find anything in Manchester then, Andre?

Na Martin
I left a few as i knew damn well i could not live with marks & creases on used record packets.The prices are a nutty too.. It's new re issues for me or nothing now.. :eyebrows:

As mentioned above the shop with new vinyl had broken seals that put me right off.

Macca
01-04-2012, 08:55
Of course you have that thing about everything having to look perfect - forgot about that!
Does rule out a lot of used vinyl doesn't it? Shame as you would only be buying stuff from 73 back - no digital at all in any aprt of the recording or replay chain..not true of the re-issues, though. I find a bit of ageing on the sleves aprt of the charm meself.

If we shared a house it would be The Odd Couple all over again...until you killed me:lol:

Marco
01-04-2012, 09:08
I find a bit of ageing on the sleves aprt of the charm meself.

It's called 'patina', or in some cases, wank stains :D

Marco.

Macca
01-04-2012, 09:14
It's called 'patina', or in some cases, wank stains :D

Marco.

It's all shite n sex with you Marco :lol: Good job you weren't around 100 years ago you would have occupied Freud for his entire career ;)

Marco
01-04-2012, 09:29
:eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
01-04-2012, 11:25
Of course you have that thing about everything having to look perfect - forgot about that!

Seriously Martin marks & things do my head in :lol:

Does rule out a lot of used vinyl doesn't it? Shame as you would only be buying stuff from 73 back - no digital at all in any aprt of the recording or replay chain..not true of the re-issues, though.

Tru but even so they also don't sound like listerning to CD's :)

Macca
01-04-2012, 11:39
Tru but even so they also don't sound like listerning to CD's :)

True - I'm now starting to replace my CDs with vinyl, after replacing my casettes with CDs...

Rare Bird
01-04-2012, 11:56
Well as they say 'you live & learn' :rfl:

O i'm gunna pub fer a sesh :D