PDA

View Full Version : Beer Beer we wan't more Beer..

Vinyl Grinder
09-02-2008, 21:58
What do you drink beer wise?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/LCL.jpg

Can't get enough..

Marco
09-02-2008, 22:37
Mmmm...nice one, Andr'e. I've been drinking some Belgian stuff recently at 8-12% ABV per bottle :drunk:

It was left over from Xmas!

However, as far as beer is concerned I'll leave it to Steve our resident expert on the finer points of ales :pub:

He probably knows as much about beer as you do about vintage hi-fi!!

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
09-02-2008, 23:17
O don't worry Marco i'm Yorkshire's premier beer taster...;)

Marco
09-02-2008, 23:32
Steve and you then should have some good convos! :cool:

I prefer real ale to lager myself, though - at least when I'm in the UK.

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
10-02-2008, 00:29
Funny enough i used to drink bitter but got sick of the warm beer in mi local so moved onto Larger. Standard larger did nothing for me till i discovered LCL...

Marco
10-02-2008, 00:57
I've never had LCL. Where is it brewed?

I'm not surprised it's good though because it's a decent Pils beer. Most lager in the UK is dreadful so that's why I mainly drink real ale. When I'm abroad in the likes of France, Italy or Germany it's a different kettle of fish because the Pils-style 'lager' there is excellent, especially ice cold on a warm summer's day :cool:

However, in the UK there's nothing to beat a few pints of quality real ale from small breweries, some of them local if you happen to be in the right area. There's a superb country pub near me (Steve loves it to bits) that has at least 5 or 6 guest ales on tap all the time. I often take my laptop there in the afternoon and do some work for my business whilst enjoying a pint or two and some lunch. Oh the joys of being self-employed! :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
10-02-2008, 01:07
I tried LCL Pils about 15 years ago. It was not really anything special. TBH, I've not found a UK lager that I particularly like. For pils it really has to be German or Czech.

In the UK it has to be real ale and generally I prefer the ales that have been around for some time. The newer brews seem to be slightly different variations on syrup.

The following ales are among my favourites:

Bank's bitter (Wolverhampton and Dudley Breweries)

IPA, Abbot (Green King)

London Pride, ESB (Fullers)

Marstons Pedigree

Burton Bridge Bitter

Black Sheep Bitter

Batemans XXXB

Vinyl Grinder
10-02-2008, 01:29
Aye tried all those Steve.Some nice Beers there...

Marco:
LCL been around scince 1977..was brewed in Newcastle area till buy out recently, now brewed in Lancashire area..Compared to the Carling., Fosters etc muck you get in pubs LCL's a revelation to me.Not much of a taste but when it's totally freezing it's luverly...dozen pints you know about it morning after..;)

First person to mention 'Spitfire' want's condemning to the bowls of the earth

:)

Steve Toy
10-02-2008, 01:44
You are quite right André. I do not like beer from Britain's oldest brewery either.

Marco
10-02-2008, 12:41
Mr Toy's favourite haunt for beer when he visits:

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/pub5_1.html

Click on 'Photos' on the left.

Can reach out and taste it, Steve? :eyebrows:

:pub:

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
10-02-2008, 15:24
Wow very nice..My type of pub..

Marco
10-02-2008, 16:05
If you ever venture to Wrexham, I'll take you there for a few beers :cool:

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
10-02-2008, 16:17
As long as you don't mention Direct Drives :pub:

Marco
10-02-2008, 16:19
Hehehe... :drinking:

Marco.

Steve Toy
10-02-2008, 18:23
I do like the Pant. They seem to have a knack of choosing ales from small and local breweries that don't taste of syrup as well as a few old favourites like Flowers Original.

They've got some nice lagers on too. And Leffe Blonde on tap for Tasha.

Marco
10-02-2008, 19:38
Yes the "Panty pub", as you call it!

:crowd:

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
10-02-2008, 20:52
They've got some nice lagers on too. And Leffe Blonde on tap for Tasha.

Leffe Triple is ok more like a beer tho...Good session on that you'll know about it..

Marco
10-02-2008, 21:07
I love Leffe of any description. Have you tried the Radieuse version?

Thing is though when I'm in Pant there are so many nice ales to choose from, often some from local Welsh breweries, to be bothered with foreign muck! :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
11-02-2008, 02:59
The Radieuse version is the best. It has all the flavour of the entry-level Leffe beers without the edge.

Rick O
11-02-2008, 23:32
Leffe is very nice, but I also prefer real ale. Particularly 3 Rivers, great micro-brewery just down the road from me. :)

Marco
11-02-2008, 23:46
Is it quite a dark beer, Rick, or more a Pale Ale style? :)

Marco.

Rick O
12-02-2008, 10:27
They brew many types, I particularly like their IPA, but the Old Disreputable (which is quite dark) is also very nice.

greenhomeelectronics
13-02-2008, 15:56
Anything from the wychwood brewery - particularly hob goblin - perfect served cool on a warm summers evening. They do some nice ales specially for Sainsbury's and always do a special Christmas brew but their everyday brews are best. Goliath is excellent as well, they don't skimp on the ingredients, lovely stuff.
German wheat beer is a damn fiune summer quaffing beer as well, whatever the brand.

stax10000
15-02-2008, 19:30
Hobgoblin is a great drink, i am also partial to;

Marstons Owd Roger
Adnams Broadside
Theakstons Old Perculiar

I like ales with a strong flavour, no weak stuff thank you

Vinyl Grinder
15-02-2008, 19:43
I prefer Malt whisky to beer..Always have a few er them after a good session on the beer all the same.