PDA

View Full Version : Ideal room positions

MikeMusic
18-03-2012, 12:25
Anyone have strong feelings on the ideal position to sit in relation to speakers ?

I'm currently around 3 metres back and central from Isobariks which are around 3.5 metres apart.

The Iso's are as close to the solid brick wall as I can get them

Any strong feelings on Isobariks on the short wall or the long wall of a room ?
Used to be the short wall from many years back

Macca
18-03-2012, 14:40
I always like to have the speakers firing down the lenght of the room and a bit of space behind them, how much depends on the speakers. I've never mucked about with Isobariks so couldn't say specifically but they are big and have multiple drivers so I would sugget listening from as far back as practical to give the sound time to colalesce as it were. I get good results with my A2s with this arrangement, sitting about 18' from the drive units. I like to have a big sound, 'hanging' at the far end of the room.

YNWaN
18-03-2012, 14:43
I wouldn't say I have a strong feeling, bur I would rather the speakers were 3m apart and you sat 3.5m away, rather than the other way round.

In general, I would place them against the long wall, but it depends on the specific room dimensions.

twelvebears
18-03-2012, 16:10
To be honest, I don't think you can generalise.

The speaker/room interaction is the the biggest single influence on the sound of any system, and the most unpredictable, so really positioning is less about convenience and preference, and more about what works best while being practically acceptable.

I do like having my speakers reasonably wide apart if possible, and firing down the length of a room if possible.

Reffc
18-03-2012, 17:07

The speaker/room interaction is the the biggest single influence on the sound of any system, and the most unpredictable, so really positioning is less about convenience and preference, and more about what works best while being practically acceptable.

I do like having my speakers reasonably wide apart if possible, and firing down the length of a room if possible.

Agree with that. Those lucky enough to have dedicated listen rooms are at an advantage in some respects as it allows some experimentation. There are a few set formulae for 'speaker positioning but they seldom account for the type of loudspeaker in use. I drafted a generalised article on this a while back which can be found here (http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/system-building-and-the-hifi-review/)

Jonboy
18-03-2012, 17:09
your speakers your room only you can tell, each componant or situation is different to ours.

Mine sound different in different rooms, toe in toe out down the length across the room what ever works best

just have a play and see what you like with your ears,

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 08:52
I always like to have the speakers firing down the lenght of the room and a bit of space behind them, how much depends on the speakers. I've never mucked about with Isobariks so couldn't say specifically but they are big and have multiple drivers so I would sugget listening from as far back as practical to give the sound time to colalesce as it were. I get good results with my A2s with this arrangement, sitting about 18' from the drive units. I like to have a big sound, 'hanging' at the far end of the room.

That's what I have aimed for before. Now the new room shape lends itself more to the long wall, but I can't help thinking about the sort one...
I found previously any space behind Iso's made them loose - in a bad way, but I have now upgraded so much that may have changed.
In this new room I started with them about 8 feet apart. That is now more like 12 and I think it sounds better.
The easy bit is moving me forward, and also away from the wall behind for a test

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 08:54
I wouldn't say I have a strong feeling, bur I would rather the speakers were 3m apart and you sat 3.5m away, rather than the other way round.

In general, I would place them against the long wall, but it depends on the specific room dimensions.

I will measure the room and distances accurately and come back. Those measurements were in my head while at work !

Macca
19-03-2012, 08:57
Experementation is the key - due to the room layout I can't use the long wall so not an issue for me ;)

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 08:58

I wanted a feel from the assembled as it is a huge amount of work, preferably with a helper and the other half isn't up to it. If it doesn't work that well then another load of work to put it back
The kit would be very different in relation to windows and doors as well so that could confuse the issue very nicely

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 09:21
Agree with that. Those lucky enough to have dedicated listen rooms are at an advantage in some respects as it allows some experimentation. There are a few set formulae for 'speaker positioning but they seldom account for the type of loudspeaker in use. I drafted a generalised article on this a while back which can be found here (http://referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/system-building-and-the-hifi-review/)

Thanks.
After reading it also occurs to me that, if moved to the short wall one speaker would be around 2 metres from a double glass door, usually one of them open

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 09:25
your speakers your room only you can tell, each componant or situation is different to ours.

Mine sound different in different rooms, toe in toe out down the length across the room what ever works best

just have a play and see what you like with your ears,

Toeing in the Iso's to test needs someone to help. I can do it but I'd get tired or maybe even do my back in.
It's become more arduous with this later style of Iso double cable and now the Mana bases they are on. <thinks> maybe 2 of us could lift in one....

The Grand Wazoo
19-03-2012, 09:46
I have to say that in whatever room I've ever tried to set up a system, speakers on the long axis has always worked best for me. You just can't beat getting them away from side walls and being able to have them a reasonable distance apart and in most UK rooms, this means the long wall.

MikeMusic
19-03-2012, 10:36
Thanks
On our short wall I lose an awful lot of flexibilty

Mika K
21-03-2012, 05:48
Nevertheless are you using long wall or short wall but in my opinion symmetry is one of the key elements for balanced presentation when placing the speakers to the room.

In some case you must break this principle to overcome some huge problem i.e. with bass response but that is more like exception I would say ;)

MikeMusic
21-03-2012, 07:47
Thanks
Something I hadn't considered. I shall think on that.....

Mika K
21-03-2012, 10:31
There is a really nice article (or actually FAQ) of the symmetry and the basics for the sound production vs. the symmetry at the web pages of one finnish speaker manufacturer Genelec: http://www.genelec.com/faq/acoustical/imaging/

This is mainly for studio monitors and concentrates to sound imaging but I think it gives you some idea of the issue if haven't thought of that before.

MikeMusic
21-03-2012, 11:09
Thanks again
More to look into
I will see my room and kit in a different light now

Mika K
21-03-2012, 13:39
No Problem.

After reaching some decent level with the equipment used, improvements at that front will become quickly very very expensive. Compared to that understanding how the acoustics and basic speaker-room interaction works depending of the used speaker design is very cheap and rewarding way to improve your system performance.

Hopefully you will get the best out of it!

MikeMusic
22-03-2012, 08:44
I will measure the room and distances accurately and come back. Those measurements were in my head while at work !

Real measurments, bit different to my guess
The room is 30 x 20'
Isos on a long wall
first one around 12' from the corner and double glass doors
2nd Iso is 15' along and 4' from the corner of the room
I'm 15' back from the line of the kit
Lot further than I thought.....

MikeMusic
22-03-2012, 09:27
No Problem.

After reaching some decent level with the equipment used, improvements at that front will become quickly very very expensive. Compared to that understanding how the acoustics and basic speaker-room interaction works depending of the used speaker design is very cheap and rewarding way to improve your system performance.

Hopefully you will get the best out of it!

I'm looking to get a better sound and the room must have improvements to come I'm sure