PDA

View Full Version : Processor capable of good conversion of HDMI to component video

f1eng
12-03-2012, 16:26
Hi all,
I hardly watch TV really and watch DVDs infrequently too. I have an old Barco Diamond 3-tube video projector who's best quality input is 3 component video.
Most DVD/Blu-Ray players nowadays have HDMI outputs as does my PC.
I want to connect my PC to my projector and use it as a DVD player. I see there are HDMI to component video converters available but since my surround sound processor is an oldish Meridian 568 I thought maybe replacing it with a more modern processor with the video convertor also built in may be an option.
I don't need power amps in the processor so just volume controlled pre-amp like analogue outputs.
Any ideas/suggestions?
cheers,
Frank

Marco
12-03-2012, 16:38
Hi Frank,

How's it going? I hope all is well. Just a quick one, and sorry for going briefly off-topic, but have you taken delivery yet of your TFS, and if so, how's it sounding? :)

Marco.

f1eng
12-03-2012, 16:50
Hi Frank,

How's it going? I hope all is well. Just a quick one, and sorry for going briefly off-topic, but have you taken delivery yet of your TFS, and if so, how's it sounding? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco,
the TFS sounds great, Jason kindly brought it to Scalford and loaded it directly from his car to mine. Can't get better service than Jason IMO!
I had some problems connecting it to my Apple airport network which is OK now. The power supply has a bit more mechanical hum than I like but putting it on a marble shelf reduced the hum as heard from my chair. I had intended for it to be my DVD player replacement too but as you may deduce from this thread I have had no luck connecting the VGA output to component input on my old Barco. Reading the Barco installation manual leads me to believe that the connections are there but a complete room re-wire would be necessary to access them.
I will do that if necessary but thought a new processor may be the answer and kill 2 birds as it were.
The TFS -looks- great too, to my eyes.
cheers,
Frank

Marco
12-03-2012, 17:22
Excellent stuff, Frank. I'm sure you'll get the visual side of it sorted out soon! Makes a great job of streaming music though, doesn't it?

Yep, I agree, Jason is a top bloke :cool:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
12-03-2012, 20:33
On the video side you are probably going to get as good results a lot cheaper by using the 15 pin dsub socket (monitor output) & tapping into the projector with the RGBHV inputs. Saves a whole lot of messing as you'd only need a cable & I feel sure that dsub to 5 x BNC cable is available at a not to horrendous price.

That's assuming it has BNC connectors, which CRT projectors tend to have.

Another advantage is you'll have much better control over the picture as you'll be able to set your PC to output just about any number of lines to match the projector. That might not be so easy with the HDMI output, though I can't be sure.

On the audio side I'm nor sure what outputs your PC has & I know not a lot about the Meridian, sorry :rolleyes:

f1eng
15-03-2012, 11:49
Thanks, but that was my first hope. I bought a VGA D connector to 5 bnc cable and connected to my projector but had no sync, for some reason. The projectororks perfectly from my Meridian 596 DVD player. In the meantime I noticed one can buy a HDMI-component video box on Amazon which buyers seem happy with. Mine arrived yesterday and also results in no picture :-(
Don't know what is wrong. I tried checking the video settings using a remote desktop connection to the TFS, but display adjustments are not permitted via remote so I can't try anything.

Nice to bump into you at Scalford in the C.A.C room.
cheers,
Frank

MartinT
15-03-2012, 12:18
Frank - your Barco probably can't sync to a high resolution or refresh rate. Try adjusting your PC's video properties to VGA 640 x 480 (31.5kHz) at 60Hz refresh. That should get you a picture.

f1eng
15-03-2012, 12:50
Frank - your Barco probably can't sync to a high resolution or refresh rate. Try adjusting your PC's video properties to VGA 640 x 480 (31.5kHz) at 60Hz refresh. That should get you a picture.

Thanks Martin, my problem is how to adjust this! Windows will not let me do so using Remote Desktop Connection, which is the only way I can connect to the PC and see/do -anything- so far. :-(

MartinT
15-03-2012, 13:20
What machine are you using for RDC connection? It's usually the local machine that determines the resolution and presumably that's the one connected to the Barco?

bobbasrah
15-03-2012, 13:29
Sorry if I'm being stoopid but if you need to alter what the PC (TFS?) is outputting should you not have a keyboard/mouse and display hooked up directly to it?

f1eng
15-03-2012, 14:17
Sorry if I'm being stoopid but if you need to alter what the PC (TFS?) is outputting should you not have a keyboard/mouse and display hooked up directly to it?

Quite. The problem is the only display I have "compatible" with any of the TFS video connections is the projector in question - which is giving no display, however I have connected it to the TFS, including via a HDMI to component adapter universally given a 5* rating on Amazon...
I could understand why the resolution and sync may have been wrong for the projector using the VGA output, which is why I bought the HDMI adapter, reasoning it would give a compatible output - wrongly as it turns out.

MartinT
15-03-2012, 14:23
The HDMI is going to output at the default resolution of the system, which could be anything from 1024 x 768 pixels upwards. An old Barco won't like that at all. Is it the TFS that is powering it? If so, plug a computer monitor into the VGA socket, right click and select Screen resolution then set for 640 x 480 at 60Hz. Then reconnect the Barco and see if you get a picture.

f1eng
15-03-2012, 14:24
What machine are you using for RDC connection? It's usually the local machine that determines the resolution and presumably that's the one connected to the Barco?

The machine connected to the Barco is the NVA TFS, a Windows 7 PC specifically configured for music streaming. I am controlling it using Remote Desktop Connection (a Microsoft programme I downloaded from their site), both on my Mac Pro tower and a Macbook Air laptop. I want to play DVDs on it as well as ripping CDs and streaming music. I also occasionally wanted to use it with keyboard, mouse and display - and the only display I have for it is the projector on which I will watch the DVDs.

Frank

f1eng
15-03-2012, 14:29
The HDMI is going to output at the default resolution of the system, which could be anything from 1024 x 768 pixels upwards. An old Barco won't like that at all. Is it the TFS that is powering it? If so, plug a computer monitor into the VGA socket, right click and select Screen resolution then set for 640 x 480 at 60Hz. Then reconnect the Barco and see if you get a picture.

I don't own a VGA monitor, otherwise I would have done that days ago...
Maybe a computer is not yet at the level of convenience yet for domestic use, apart from by computer enthusiasts.
BTW I have using computers for 42 years now so am not Luddite, just beginning to doubt the wisdom of trying to integrate a PC into home entertainment!

bobbasrah
15-03-2012, 14:37
Ok Frank, understood now.
If you have a HDMI TV or can borrow one or a computer monitor from anybody for 20 mins or so that would be the easiest way to reset the default video out so your projector will accept the output thereafter.

OOPS - Forgot, you will need to borrow mouse/keyboard also.....

MartinT
15-03-2012, 15:39
Yes indeed, Bob. Frank - you can use any modern computer monitor to do this.

f1eng
15-03-2012, 15:57
Yes indeed, Bob. Frank - you can use any modern computer monitor to do this.

I have a modern monitor, but it has a digital connection. I haven't used anything with a VGA D connector for years, probably more than 10!
I am beginning to fear that the TFS as a replacement for CD, DVD and streaming may not be compatible with my system.:doh:

MartinT
15-03-2012, 16:10
That's surprising, Frank. Most monitors have both DVI-D and VGA sockets. If you can borrow a monitor for 10 mins you could get the job done. Once the Barco is running, you'll be able to do the things you need (albeit at a fairly low resolution).

What's the Barco model? We could look up its capabilities in the meantime.

bobbasrah
15-03-2012, 16:24
In all probability a LCD TV would also work with the HDMI output if you can't find a vga monitor. Maybe a neighbour would have a small one to borrow ?

f1eng
15-03-2012, 16:30
That's surprising, Frank. Most monitors have both DVI-D and VGA sockets. If you can borrow a monitor for 10 mins you could get the job done. Once the Barco is running, you'll be able to do the things you need (albeit at a fairly low resolution).

What's the Barco model? We could look up its capabilities in the meantime.

The Barco is a 701 Diamond. It was made specially for high resolution video and home cinema and has a built in line doubler system and high resolution lenses. It should easily exceed the current "high definition" standard as far as resolution is concerned, though it couldn't show an interleaved signal IIRC when that was an option on a DVD player I had connected to it and I am not sure about sync.

In a nutshell I see no reason why the resolution would be a problem, but am concerned about sync and so forth since standards have changed since. It was new in 1996.

MartinT
15-03-2012, 18:07
The Barco Vision only scans to 36 Khz The Data version scans to 50 Khz.

That tells me that it should be good for VGA (640 x 480) and if it's the data version SuperVGA (800 x 600) but nothing more. My guess is that you are driving it at too high a scan frequency (for instance, it's not going to handle XGA which is pretty much the low end standard now). Things have moved on since 1996.

f1eng
15-03-2012, 18:09
Some info on the Barco 701D.
I have the installation and owners manuals, which are quite thick but don't have any spec details. A look on the web gives some info which may or may not be accurate, since it is the web...
Max resolution 1280x768
Compatible with 720p and 1080i
Doesn't mean much to me I'm afraid. The line doubler defaults to "on" it does suggest it may be necessary to switch it off to get a stable picture with a poor signal such as a damaged VHS tape, but it seems unlikely the PC has a really bad signal.

f1eng
15-03-2012, 18:11
That tells me that it should be good for VGA (640 x 480) and if it's the data version SuperVGA (800 x 600) but nothing more. My guess is that you are driving it at too high a scan frequency (for instance, it's not going to handle XGA which is pretty much the low end standard now). Things have moved on since 1996.

Looks like I will stick to my DVD player then. I am not much of a film buff and I watch less that an hour of tv per day. The projector has a good picture (good enough for me) and has had very little use so it makes no sense to change it before it breaks!

Thanks for going to all this trouble.

MartinT
15-03-2012, 18:11
Hmm, those will be interlaced scan speeds whereas the PC will only output progressive. Really tricky to give any further advice without playing with adapters and video settings.