PDA

View Full Version : IC: Thorens TD124 - Schopper Refurbished

The Black Adder
11-03-2012, 21:41
Well guys, never thought I'd be doing this but...

Due to some up and coming house maintenance and mostly kitting out I am thinking of selling my lovely Thorens TD124 MKII.

It's in minty condition and it was fully re-furbished by Schopper in Switzerland in 2010.

The deck runs rock solidly on the strobe, it's extremely quite and sounds unforgivably magnificent.

Built in 1966 it is all original, even has the original paintwork. I have also got the Ortofon style plinth, this is from Schopper together with the black arm board cut for SME fitment.

Deck comes with original Schopper bearing oil (3 drops yearly) a NOS drive wheel (very rare and expensive) not needed though as the drive wheel fitted is in superb nick, checked by Schopper. Also comes with the original wooden base with perspex lid.

New drive belt fitted in January. (Schopper item)

This was my last deck ever... But we need to get some things done so this may be the best way.

This will also be your last deck and I mean it. It runs as new, no servicing needed for another 10 years just 3 drops of oil on the platter spindle yearly.

Platter is Aluminum.

In addition to the deck is the SME 3009 Series II arm, it's in mint condition and comes with the original box and packaging. It needs a little attention as the damper pot needs some fluid.

Detachable headshell fitted with Shure V15 MKIII cart with JICO SAS stylus.

I'm not sure about the arm and cart as yet, depends on what I get. Looking for something very modest but something with a good reputation. Technics or Trio KD-500 maybe?

Asking price for the deck is still undecided but it will have to be top end as you will be very hard pushed to find one like this. It will need to be Paypal as this would be of benefit to me at this time.

Open to sensible offers if you have a figure in mind. Please PM me if interested.

Here are some pics. BTW the hifi unit is also for sale as I've now got a new unit.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/gallery/DSC05102.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/gallery/DSC05093.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/gallery/DSC05089.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/gallery/DSC05068.jpg

Wakefield Turntables
11-03-2012, 21:44
Thats a dam shame Joe! I wish you were selling your Tannoys as well! ;)

The Grand Wazoo
11-03-2012, 21:47
Crikey Joe, that's a serious loss to the family - you must be sorry.

The Black Adder
11-03-2012, 21:48
Thats a dam shame Joe! I wish you were selling your Tannoys as well! ;)

Thanks Andrew. I think the TT is the best bet as I've got the rest of my system as I want it now after a very long time and ooodles of box swapping.

The Black Adder
11-03-2012, 21:50
Crikey Joe, that's a serious loss to the family - you must be sorry.

yeah... very, very sorry... At the moment though it's the only option unless something else happens in the next few days.

Marco
11-03-2012, 21:52
Sorry to see this go, Joe.

However, I can vouch for how good this turntable sounds. It is unquestionably the best TD-124 I've heard (within the limitations of the arm and cartridge fitted), and without hardly a hint of the usual idler noise, normally expected of these units.

It's as minty as a very minty thing and sounds superb. I can say with some certainty that, once fitted with a top-notch arm and cartridge, sonically, it would be in the same ball park as my highly-modded Techy.

Whoever gets this will have a fantastic sounding turntable for life. This is one for those who want the best, without endless fiddling and modifying.

Buy with confidence, folks! :cool:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
11-03-2012, 21:55
Thanks Andrew. I think the TT is the best bet as I've got the rest of my system as I want it now after a very long time and ooodles of box swapping.

Offer still stands, could you send me a PM with an idea of what you want for the deck??

The Black Adder
11-03-2012, 21:56
Sorry to see this go, Joe.

However, I can vouch for how good this turntable sounds. It is unquestionably the best TD-124 I've heard (within the limitations of the arm and cartridge fitted), and without hardly a hint of the usual idler noise, normally expected of these units.

It's as minty as a very minty thing and sounds superb. I can say with some certainty that, once fitted with a top-notch arm and cartridge, sonically, it would be in the same ball park as my modded Techy.

Whoever gets this will have a fantastic sounding turntable for life. One for those who want the best without much fiddling and modifying.

Buy with confidence, folks! :cool:

Marco.

Cheers Marco. Yes, with the re-furb it had the idler wheel modification that removes the idler wheel noise so it runs mega silent.

The Black Adder
13-03-2012, 19:00
After much thought the price is now £1600 ovno

Please PM me if you are interested.

The Black Adder
15-03-2012, 14:35
bump - lots of interest but no buyer as yet.

sq225917
15-03-2012, 18:36
That's a steal.

Monty
16-03-2012, 09:45
Hi Joe,

I have just joined the forum, so can't as yet send PM's.

I am very interested in buying your deck and would like to view it and demo. is this possible?

Many thanks,

Paul

The Black Adder
16-03-2012, 10:15
Just post anything here a few more times Monty, it will give you the PM privileges.

Private message sent

Cheers
Joe

The Black Adder
16-03-2012, 20:03
Sale on hold due to a dizzy carpenter who has made a mistake with his quotation. Will update soon.

The Black Adder
17-03-2012, 16:22
Sale withdrawn.

Thanks

ursus262
17-03-2012, 22:19
I'm actually rather relieved! It's such a gorgeous turntable, you'd be mad to sell it!

The Black Adder
17-03-2012, 23:05
Hi Dave.

Yeah, it is such a great TT. A total classic in every way.

Cheers
Joe