PDA

View Full Version : The new Croft RIAA R Phono Stage

ElTwang
11-03-2012, 12:53
Anyone here who had the chance to take a listen? What's the verdict?

Croft RIAA R Phono Stage (http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_phono_stages.html#R)

ElTwang
15-09-2012, 19:17
Well, let me answer my own posts here. I bought this unit a couple of months ago and it's superb!

A while ago I wrote on these pages that I didn't think that much of the 'basic' RIAA from the new line. I did however borrow another one of those and it was absolutely fantastic (maybe the first unit had a flaw...) which led me directly to go for RIAA R.

The RIAA R is more of everything the 'basic' RIAA got going. More body to the sound (bas). More detail, better imagery. It's really tight and fast sounding - but not to fast! Cables makes a significant change and I want a Cardas Cross for it. That's a brilliant match I've found out.

I'd say the RIAA R is a bit more hifi sounding and opens up for new options and pick up upgrades whereas the 'basic' RIAA is just uber cool in it's own right. A real set and forget hifi unit.

ElTwang
15-09-2012, 19:57
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38186784/riaar-1.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38186784/riaar-2.JPG

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 20:19
Hi Lars, while I have never owned any Croft kit, it certainly does sound like the RIAA R brings the same kind of extra emotion & clarity to things as the other Croft R products over the standard versions :)

If I didn't know any better, every review of Croft R products could well have been written by the same member...

The thing is though, they haven't been :D

ElTwang
15-09-2012, 21:21
Hi Reid,

I actually haven't heard any of the new amps, but if the statements are starting to turn cliche'y, well, there's must be some truth to what the users are hearing ;)

AlfaGTV
16-09-2012, 08:39
Hi Reid,

I actually haven't heard any of the new amps, but if the statements are starting to turn cliche'y, well, there's must be some truth to what the users are hearing ;)

With all due respect, the more hype, the bigger need for objectivity! :)
That said, the RIAA looks well built! Hardwired? Really? It must be expensive...
Regards
/Mike

ElTwang
16-09-2012, 09:54
Hi Mike,

I, of course, agree regarding objectivity (if that does exist ;)).
But the responses in this thread has made me think wether there's too much Croft hype going on here?? I haven't been lurking this site for quite a while and have no clue what goes on in other threads.

I'd say that maybe a lot of the statements sound quite the same as it's my impression that Croft does one preferred circuit/design and then upgrades it from there = 'more of everything kinda statements due to better components '.

The RIAA R is all hardwired and retails around 1000 uk pounds.

DSJR
16-09-2012, 10:26
We only hype Croft stuff here because we OWN the stuff, some of us (me) on and off for twenty years or more. His designs have passed the tech-bench tests too, so you get a stable and reliable product which is easily serviced should that be necessary in decades to come. remembering Glenn of old, his totally down-to-earth style and lack of "snooty attitude" is great to behold as well and something of the man is imbued into everything he makes IMO.

Glenn has shown in his basically simple modular designs just how the power supply tweaks he does, further develop the otherwise excellent basic models, taking the final vestiges of "rawness" away.

I'm glad Deco Audio are now selling Glenns stuff. They're good people and care, as do ALL his dealers, who are friends to him as much as anything else.

If any of you are in the market for a quality phono stage, try to add this one to the usual suspects. Remember, domestic audio replay is all about "suspension of disbelief" and not just clinically accurate replay of an often flawed source. I personally feel that Glenn's products offer both - accurate presentation but with that little bit extra that makes listening a real pleasure :) :respect:

northwest
16-09-2012, 14:16
And I would add: Glenn's after sales service is exemplary and a standard others should try to emulate. My pre-amp was sent back to him to be "looked at" and a few DAYS later it returned, unannounced and at Glenn's expense with a short note saying he thought maybe one of the transformers was suspect and he had changed them both just to be on the safe side. No charge.
Try that with one of the major brands.

Marco
16-09-2012, 17:04
+1 (with bells on) to the last two posts!

My (admittedly highly modified, although much of it by Glenn) Charisma-X preamp is the longest serving item in my system, which I've happily used now for 7 years, and I'll likely also be using it for another 7....

It just sounds so musically 'right', to my ears, and nothing I've heard so far, often at many times its cost, has been better! :)

Marco.

The Black Adder
16-09-2012, 21:00
+1 - Very, very happy with my kit.

I want to hear this baby though...Mmmmm!

Boukman
30-06-2013, 22:53
I have a basic RIAA stage, and ordered an R with 3 phono inputs. I was very excited about this, and swapped some mullards into the R. Sorry to say, but I went back to the basic one. Sounded miles more engaging to me than the R. The R is too hifi to me. Maybe I should give the R some more time to burn in....

Reffc
03-07-2013, 11:38
I have the standard RIAA Croft phonostage as fitted to the Micro25. With modern production JJ803s valves, it's a stunner.

Thing Fish
03-07-2013, 15:32
I still love my Croft gear every time I turn it on. Best value for money thus far in my system...:)

Chivas
03-07-2013, 17:37
I bought a Croft 25R pre for my dad and had it with me for a couple of weeks, next to my Pure Sound P10, not long after I bought a RIAA R - absolutely love it!! It is one component in my system that I know I will be happy with for years!!

quadsugdenman
03-07-2013, 19:26
Just bought the Croft basic RIAA unit but replaced the stock 803S valves with nos Mullard cv4004 and it is an absolute gem in terms of sound quality, image and depth.:D. What fantastic value for money, and it's British too!!!:D

Jimbo
03-07-2013, 20:17
I know this may begin to sound like a Croft appreciation society but I must add I have had the Croft 25R now for the last 3-4 months and it wasn't until I plugged in my new VPI TT I realised just how superb the preamp phono stage is. Glenn is a genius who truly knows how to get the best out of vinyl.

Marco
03-07-2013, 20:34
You won't get any complaints out of me from that statement, especially regarding Glenn's superb point-to-point, hard-wired, all-valve phono stages, which just sound so goddamn musically addictive!! Quite simply, they make most other phono stages I've heard sound lacklustre and 'frigid'.

Marco.

DSJR
04-07-2013, 09:56
The R phono stage looks to have Glenn's line buffer after the phono stage - I don't think it's all power supply?

Reffc
05-07-2013, 15:21
The R phono stage looks to have Glenn's line buffer after the phono stage - I don't think it's all power supply?

Valve regulation as per 25R?

Jimbo
10-10-2015, 13:42
Looking at pics of the Croft RIAA R has anyone questioned the fact there are 3 valves in the phono stage. I believe this lowers impedance but what effect does this have on overall SQ.

Maybe a techy might be able to enlighten me.:scratch:

struth
10-10-2015, 14:24
3 seems to be pretty standard config. Firebottle uses 3 too.

Firebottle
10-10-2015, 15:52
Indeed I do, or rather did as I've now moved on to a hybrid circuit as it gives substantially improved performance.

The third valve is almost certainly a buffer stage to lower the output impedance, probably a cathode follower but don't quote me.

In terms of SQ it should be transparent but as always is dependent to a certain extent on the interconnect used and the input impedance of the following amplifier.

:)

Jimbo
10-10-2015, 17:30
3 seems to be pretty standard config. Firebottle uses 3 too.

All the Croft 25 range only use 2 valves in the phono stage Grant so the RIAA phono stage is a little different?

struth
10-10-2015, 17:32
Was gonna say the hybrid circuits seem to use 2, and the all valve 3.:doh::lol:

Jimbo
10-10-2015, 17:35
Was gonna say the hybrid circuits seem to use 2, and the all valve 3.:doh::lol:

Cheers Grant, do you know any more valve preamps with 3 used in the phono stage not including the regulation or line stage?

struth
10-10-2015, 17:37
Think the yaqin does. probably plenty but i'm no expurt:eek: Alan would be yir man for valve phonos

lurcher
10-10-2015, 18:31
Think the yaqin does. probably plenty but i'm no expurt:eek: Alan would be yir man for valve phonos

Yep, its a common setup, often a cathode follower on the output as Alan says, helps driving real loads. Not needed if part of a preamp, as the load is known then.

Arkless Electronics
13-10-2015, 17:41
As Nick says it's kind of the norm... Most older Audio Research units up to and including the sp8, several Conrad Johnson units and many others.