PDA

View Full Version : NETFLIX

Dominic Harper
08-03-2012, 17:49
Antone tried this, we have and your first month is free on trial, and it is £6 a month. I think it is one of the best values for money. Anyone, got any thoughts?

Natalie;)

Martinh
08-03-2012, 18:04
Yes, my daughter is watching it right now on the apple tv. We're on our 1 month trial.

I think that it's good for watching tv series and kids shows, but the selection of films is a bit disappointing IMHO. It is new, so the selection is going to increase I think. I can't see me ever buying or renting another movie. I think the DVD players days are numbered.

BTW, The apple tv is just brilliant, with all my music stored on apples servers, Internet radio, Netflix, streaming from my iPad or pc etc. I also watch tv programs on Netflix at my desk at lunchtime.

For only £6 per month, it's a good deal.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Dominic Harper
08-03-2012, 18:14
Hi Martin, I found that whatever genre of film you watch, they change them everytime you have watched a film in that catagory. I think it is really good value for money when you think what skye charge.

Natalie;)

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 19:13
Antone tried this, we have and your first month is free on trial, and it is £6 a month. I think it is one of the best values for money. Anyone, got any thoughts?

Natalie;)

We've joined in September 2010 and never looked back. It's the deal of the century (here in Canada we're paying $7.99 per month). Ever since we've joined, I barely looked at any DVDs or blu rays. Saved me ton of money!

Not sure about the UK version of Netflix, but Canadian Netflix seems quite different from the U.S. Netflix. We apparently get more foreign language cinema than Americans do (I know this as I was sending suggestions for some foreign movies to my America friends who are on Netflix, and they said these movies are not available for streaming in the U.S.)

Also, a lot of really good documentaries, so for us it's very educational. Edutainment, basically.

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2012, 19:18
If you are going to regularly watch films etc make sure you have unlimited downloads on your broadband or you might be in for a nasty shock when the bill comes in :eek:

I'll stick to my blu rays & DVDs as I do have a limit on downloads, not that I have ever hit it :D

Dominic Harper
08-03-2012, 19:21
Funny you should say that about foreign filme. We have watched quite a few this week and they have been really good. I watched a german film the other night because I am very interested in WW11 and how some of the German officers tried to fight against Hitler. Not just Valkirie, there were many more who tried to fight, and when the war was over they did survive. Anyway, just one of the many reasons why I like this Netflix.

Natalie;)

Martinh
08-03-2012, 19:45
Hi Martin, I found that whatever genre of film you watch, they change them everytime you have watched a film in that catagory. I think it is really good value for money when you think what skye charge.

Natalie;)

That's good to know because we haven't watched any films yet. We're with virgin cable and they charge £3-4 per film. Makes Netflix look like a bargain!

The virgin package that I'm on (20 mb/s) is unlimited up to a point. After that, they reduce your speed to a much lower level. I don't think that I've ever hit that limit yet, but it may happen, as we're streaming music all day and then tv on top of that in the evening.

How are you streaming? Via a laptop?

martin

Martinh
08-03-2012, 19:49
We've joined in September 2010 and never looked back. It's the deal of the century (here in Canada we're paying $7.99 per month). Ever since we've joined, I barely looked at any DVDs or blu rays. Saved me ton of money!

Not sure about the UK version of Netflix, but Canadian Netflix seems quite different from the U.S. Netflix. We apparently get more foreign language cinema than Americans do (I know this as I was sending suggestions for some foreign movies to my America friends who are on Netflix, and they said these movies are not available for streaming in the U.S.)

Also, a lot of really good documentaries, so for us it's very educational. Edutainment, basically.

Are you saying that Americans are intellectually challenged? ;)

only joking!

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 21:03
Are you saying that Americans are intellectually challenged? ;)

only joking!

From all I know, culturally speaking, Americans don't seem big on reading subtitles (hence, they're not too keen on following foreign cinematography). But at least they don't seem to want to stoop down to the infernal levels that some other nations do and overdub foreign movies in their native tongue. That, to me, is crime against humanity.

But jokingly or not, I don't think Americans are intellectually challenged. True, they may suffer the unfortunate consequences of having one of the worst public school systems in the developed world, but my impression is that they amply compensate in other areas, such as their amazing focus on self-reliance etc.

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 21:07
If you are going to regularly watch films etc make sure you have unlimited downloads on your broadband or you might be in for a nasty shock when the bill comes in :eek:

I'll stick to my blu rays & DVDs as I do have a limit on downloads, not that I have ever hit it :D

Canadian Netflix gives us the option to go with smaller bandwidth streaming (which at the end of the day means that high definition movies are not necessarily going to be streamed in blu ray quality), but I haven't found any need for it so far, as we never seem to hit the ceiling. And we're watching hours of streaming pretty much on a daily basis, and a lot of that are HD movies/TV shows.

Of course, that all depends on one's local internet provider. YMMV...

Martinh
08-03-2012, 21:12
With all these new streaming services, the demand for internet bandwidth is going to go through the roof.

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2012, 21:17
With all these new streaming services, the demand for internet bandwidth is going to go through the roof.
True... I would never ever consider watching any film over the internet :rolleyes: I know the bandwidth is in most cases nowhere near enough to be comparable to most blu rays.

Just flicking on the bit rate on blu rays reveals that they are up to 30 or more mbps so at the present just about any film provider on the net is sub blu ray standard & that isn't taking into account how they are actually streaming it...

No thanks, I'll have the real deal :)

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 21:31
True... I would never ever consider watching any film over the internet :rolleyes: I know the bandwidth is in most cases nowhere near enough to be comparable to most blu rays.

Just flicking on the bit rate on blu rays reveals that they are up to 30 or more mbps so at the present just about any film provider on the net is sub blu ray standard & that isn't taking into account how they are actually streaming it...

No thanks, I'll have the real deal :)

You are correct. It's the same as lossless WAV vs. lossy mp3. For casual listening, I'm okay with mp3. Same is for casual movie watching -- I'm okay with lossy HD movies, as I've realized that I rarely notice anything missing while those lossy films are streaming...

It all boils down to convenience. If I have to choose between looking all over the house for the bloody blu ray (only to realize after 20 minutes of futile search that my son borrowed it back in December; doh!), and then even when I find the bloody disc, now I have to wait until it loads, then there's (effing un-skippable!) coming attractions, then some other crass advertisements, then the bloody menu (which I never understand nor can navigate properly), or I just search for the movie on Netflix, push the play button and the movie instantly begins, well...

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 21:32

Looks like that's the future of our civilization, as all efforts seem to be converging toward making sure we have sufficient bandwidth as we're bracing for the next explosion in internet traffic.

Martinh
08-03-2012, 21:53
Dvd menus and adverts...:doh:

bring back vhs and the fast forward button.:)

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2012, 21:55
Dvd menus...:doh:

& all the tracking problems.....

Nah, I'll stick with 5" silver discs :D

magiccarpetride
08-03-2012, 22:01
Dvd menus and adverts...:doh:

Yeah, the reason many people became pirates is these effing menus. Especially people with young children, who are impatient and just want the cartoon to start. Many of my friends were forced to go illegal and crack the DVD, rip it, strip it of any crap, and then burn it back as a straight AVI or MPG movie.

Kids are not, repeat NOT in the least interested in staring at the FBI warning that sits on the screen for an eternity, while not letting anyone enjoy the product they've legitimately purchased (OK, licensed for limited viewing would be the correct term, I guess).

No wonder the big-ass HMV store in my neighbourhood closed down. It's the bloody lawyers, they are destroying our economy.

Dominic Harper
08-03-2012, 22:19
Ive checked the broadband Mark and it says truly unlimited. So I don't think it will cost anymore.

Natalie;)

Ali Tait
08-03-2012, 22:23
What annoys me is that it appears you have to have a Facebook account to get the free month. I neither have nor want a Facebook account.

Martinh
08-03-2012, 22:43
What annoys me is that it appears you have to have a Facebook account to get the free month. I neither have nor want a Facebook account.

I may be wrong, but I think you can register without one. Isnt there a link to register with an email address?

Ali Tait
08-03-2012, 22:53
Ta, I'l have a look.

Alex_UK
08-03-2012, 23:36
As Martinh said - I think we are heading for bandwidth problems nationally with all the streaming options now available...

Martinh
11-03-2012, 14:03
We watched Misery last night with James Caan and Kathy Bates - great film.

Any other recommendations?

Martin.

P.s. Noticed the audio went slightly out of sync a few times. Not sure if this is Netflix problem or my apple tv. Anyone else noticed this?

Dominic Harper
11-03-2012, 14:32
We watched Misery last night with James Caan and Kathy Bates - great film.

Any other recommendations?

Martin.

P.s. Noticed the audio went slightly out of sync a few times. Not sure if this is Netflix problem or my apple tv. Anyone else noticed this?

Hi Martin, now you may or may not like foreign films, but we watched a Norweigen film called Max Magnusson. It was absolutely brilliant, but it is sub titled. On the Netflix at the moment is Senna and we have just watched that which was pretty good. You should also have a look at some of the documentries as there are lots on there at the moment. If you watch the Norweigen film, let me know what you think.

I have noticed on occassions that the film does got out of sync,best thing to do is pause the film. Sometimes that works, but not always.

Natalie;)

Ali Tait
11-03-2012, 15:40
That happens on our sky also.

Martinh
11-03-2012, 17:09
Hi Natalie,

I searched for Senna and Max Magnusson but couldn't find either :(

Martin

colinB
11-03-2012, 17:52
For new titles Lovefilm beats netflix but the streaming quality is better than Lovefilm. If i could stream any movie from the Lovefilm list onto my Ps3 i would stay with them but the app only allows free movie content, most of which i have seen already. Im considering switching to Netflix and using Blockbusters for new releases.

Dominic Harper
11-03-2012, 20:23
Hi Natalie,

I searched for Senna and Max Magnusson but couldn't find either :(

Martin

Hi Martin, you may have to watch a few different films to watch the 2 I mentioned. The Norweigen film may have been called Max Manus Man of War (not to be confused with the eighties crappy rock group lololololol)? and Senna is on sky anytime at the moment, if you have sky.

Cheers
Natalie;)

Reid Malenfant
11-03-2012, 20:45
Hi Martin, you may have to watch a few different films to watch the 2 I mentioned. The Norweigen film may have been called Max Manus Man of War

Cheers
Natalie;)
Good film that I have yet to watch on blu ray, though I own it :rolleyes: It has a superb review! It's also based on reality, IE things that did happen or if you like, a true story...

Dominic Harper
11-03-2012, 21:07
Good film that I have yet to watch on blu ray, though I own it :rolleyes: It has a superb review! It's also based on reality, IE things that did happen or if you like, a true story...

Yeah your right it was based on a true story. The ending is really good, but I don't want to give to much away as Martin hasn't seen it yet. I think it is one of the best films I have seen in a long time. Very gripping stuff.

Natalie;)

Gmanuk101
12-03-2012, 12:23
I tried the trial, then cancelled it. I found that you watch most of it within the trail then it's not updated much and reminds me of the "bargain bin" section. For me the free trial was good, but will not be continuing at all

Dominic Harper
12-03-2012, 13:16
I'm glad you told me that, although I think Dom and I may still give it a go. We have found that the films on SKY are all the same, just swapped round every few months, and any decent films cost you to watch them at a total of £3.50 everytime. SKY documentiries is quite good, but again they do tend to show quite a lot of repeats on different channels. On Demand was ok for a while, but you tend to get bored with it. So there are plus and minus to all the networks available. SKY, Netflix, On Demand, Cable, Virgin and list goes on. I am finding that Netflix is ok at the moment for us, but if it turns into a problem, we will probably cancel. We will just have to wait and see.

Natalie;)

griffo104
12-03-2012, 13:36
I've just started my Netflix trial through my PS3. I also have Lovefilm as well.

So far the Netflix 'app' has been very good but I'm a little disappointed with the film selection although I've mainly been using it to watch TV series Breaking Bad at the moment and as a streaming service the quality has been very good with no buffering during an episode - unlike trying to watch Pramface on the Beeb iplayer yesterday where I finally gave up.

I may keep Netflix for a while and will keep Lovefilm as well as I have the discs delivered where I stay during the week for work and use the streamer at home at the weekend. also means the other half can watch what she wants when I'm not there during the week.

I'll probably check 3 months down the line to see which one I'm using the most. for £6 a month it's less than the price of a couple of pints down my local so can't really complain at the moment.

Martinh
17-08-2012, 17:23
Hi all,

Anyone still using Netflix?

I'm going to cancel mine, as there doesn't seem to be anything worth watching and my 6 year old is bored of watching the kids stuff.

We're on a 3 month trial of LoveFilm and this has a much better selection, although this is only DVDs by post. The streaming service is worse than Netflix IMHO.

I reckon that with a decent HDD recorder and a little bit of planning ahead, you can get a better selection by just recording stuff off the free to air TV channels.

Tim
17-08-2012, 17:28
I reckon that with a decent HDD recorder and a little bit of planning ahead, you can get a better selection by just recording stuff off the free to air TV channels.
Yup and I have more stuff recorded that I ever hope to watch ;)
I also have the very basic Lovefilm (formerly TescoDVD) package - 2 discs a month for a pittance if you pay yearly. Keeps me up to date with any recent films I might want, but I often struggle to keep up with 2 a month at times, as I don't have the Plasma on much these days. After the Olympics it got switched off and has been on for no more than a couple of hours since.

Martinh
17-08-2012, 17:36
Yup and I have more stuff recorded that I ever hope to watch ;)
I also have the very basic Lovefilm (formerly TescoDVD) package - 2 discs a month for a pittance if you pay yearly. Keeps me up to date with any recent films I might want, but I often struggle to keep up with 2 a month at times, as I don't have the Plasma on much these days. After the Olympics it got switched off and has been on for no more than a couple of hours since.

Hi Tim,

I see that Tesco DVD is no more - the LoveFilm basic 3 movies per month is £6.

It s not a lot, but if you don't use it...

Tim
17-08-2012, 18:27
I see that Tesco DVD is no more - the LoveFilm basic 3 movies per month is £6.
Interesting, I see their front page leads you towards £5.99 a month for 3 discs, but there is an option in small print for 2 discs a month for £4.89.

I just logged into my account, which was previously a Tesco account and my tariff is £4.47 a month for 2 discs. I pay yearly, but that option is not available at signup and I get a 15% discount. My next payment due Jan 2013 for 12 months is £45.59. I don't mind paying £3.79 a month for 2 discs, so will probably renew it.

It will be interesting to see if the ex Tesco customers have different accounts to new sign-ups, it certainly looks like thats the case.

Dominic Harper
17-08-2012, 20:19
Dom and I have just cancelled our Netflix because we were getting a little disillusioned with some of the stuff. We have decided to give Love films a try which is a little cheaper, but only tried for a couple of days. Will let you know if it is any good.

Natalie;)

Tim
17-08-2012, 20:37
Dom and I have just cancelled our Netflix because we were getting a little disillusioned with some of the stuff. We have decided to give Love films a try which is a little cheaper, but only tried for a couple of days. Will let you know if it is any good.

Natalie;)
I'm not sure what their streaming service is like Natalie, but their DVD by post service is excellent. I think you can sign up for both?

Martinh
17-08-2012, 20:56
I'm not sure what their streaming service is like Natalie, but their DVD by post service is excellent. I think you can sign up for both?

We're on a trial including the DVDs by post and the streaming service. The package after the trial is £10 per month.

We've found that the streaming is very limited but the DVD service is A1. Loads of decent films to watch and superb service.

Definitely worth a try.

Dominic Harper
17-08-2012, 21:11
We're on a trial including the DVDs by post and the streaming service. The package after the trial is £10 per month.

We've found that the streaming is very limited but the DVD service is A1. Loads of decent films to watch and superb service.

Definitely worth a try.

We have found the streaming is a little bad if you play it in HD, but Standard is fine and up to now I have no complaints. Started watching a film called Splice yesterday, but it was freaking me out so I stopped it lol, I'm such a wuss.

Natalie;)

Reid Malenfant
18-08-2012, 19:28
Started watching a film called Splice yesterday, but it was freaking me out so I stopped it lol, I'm such a wuss.

Natalie;)
I have that on blu ray, like a load of others I haven't gotten round to spinning it yet :eyebrows:

Just don't even contemplate watching The Human Centipede, reading the review is enough to put me well & truly off :spew:

Tim
04-03-2014, 21:28
Old post I know, but thought it the best place to put the info.

I'm a big fan of Netflix and think I have found the perfect combo now having tried Lovefilm Streaming, Lovefilm by post, Blinkbox and Sky Movies via NowTV. I use Netflix and Lovefilm by post and have an Amazon Prime account which also includes streaming (this is new in the UK). But Netflix and Lovefilm by post covers everything I am ever likely to want film wise, Prime is a bonus.

For Netflix fans (and the reason I resurrected this thread) I have found this website invaluable http://netflix.maft.co
It details content about to expire with an expiry date, new content just arrived and there is also a complete UK catalogue and archive database - very useful indeed.

MCRU
07-03-2014, 16:38
Old post I know, but thought it the best place to put the info.

I'm a big fan of Netflix and think I have found the perfect combo now having tried Lovefilm Streaming, Lovefilm by post, Blinkbox and Sky Movies via NowTV. I use Netflix and Lovefilm by post and have an Amazon Prime account which also includes streaming (this is new in the UK). But Netflix and Lovefilm by post covers everything I am ever likely to want film wise, Prime is a bonus.

For Netflix fans (and the reason I resurrected this thread) I have found this website invaluable http://netflix.maft.co
It details content about to expire with an expiry date, new content just arrived and there is also a complete UK catalogue and archive database - very useful indeed.

thanks for that dude, just bought a new smart TV with netflix included, thx

PhilofCas
09-03-2014, 14:00
Thanks Tim, that's a great find, cheers.

The Barbarian
09-03-2014, 14:14
thanks for that dude, just bought a new smart TV with netflix included, thx

Hi Tim
Yeh i bought two new Samsung Smart TV's that have this on.. Not very big but big enough fer our rooms

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE32F4500-32-inch-Widescreen-Built-In/dp/B00BXDK1FM/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1394374534&sr=1-2&keywords=tv

Gazjam
06-05-2014, 19:37
If you have a netflix subscription (and view it from a web browser) you can swap between UK and American Netflix.
Add plug-in to your browser called "Hola Unblocker"
https://hola.org/
Can swap between Uk, US and any other country that can receive Netflix.
Content can vary between countries.

Lots of extra goodies on Netflix America for instance. :)
Unfortunately it wont work if your viewing through your smart TV, just a browser.

topmetom
24-05-2014, 14:19
I use unblock us for that, but it works on everything, computer ps4 appletv...hang on why have i still got the appletv?

destroysall
28-08-2014, 05:39
Hope I'm not too late to the party to throw in some kind words for the streaming service known as Netflix.

Netflix has helped me and a lot of my friends and family members save $100 or more by ditching cable TV. I love Cable TV, but within the last year, I noticed we didn't use it anymore and decided to get rid of it to save us some money. Of course, it hasn't replaced my BluRay or DVDs, can never forsake those. ;)

struth
29-08-2014, 22:42
My daughter dumped Sky and took a sub for Netflix a while ago and says its great for her family, and saving a fortune. I get Amazon prime which is very good too. In fact I think it has a better list for my age group. Great thing is, that I got it for nowt this year as I and my boy use the prime service anyway. Price is going up next year but it is worth the money for the postage alon. you also get books free to borrow with kindle as well.. Have found the streaming demands quite good as well.

Tom-Brown
04-02-2015, 21:44
If you are an Amazon customer and use kindle - you can't beat Amazon Prime...Loads of free films and box sets, also you get some free next day shipping on bought items and loads of free books on Kindle :) all for one off fee of £80, 1st month trail free so at less than £7 a month I think it's great value. I got a smart TV for Xmas and it was a built in app but you can get a voice activated box for normal TV. The HD seems fine to me as well.

Gazjam
04-02-2015, 23:27
Cheers Graham, good info.

Ali Tait
04-02-2015, 23:30
Not one off, it's £80 per year.

RichB
04-02-2015, 23:54
Buy a chromecast, download showbox and localcast apps. Enjoy all free!

Tom-Brown
05-02-2015, 08:43
Not one off, it's £80 per year.

Sorry, yes it's £79.99 per year - but compared with other providers I still think it's value for money - and after having it for 3 months now I'm still happy with it :) I gave up on stuff over the internet via an android box - too much buffering and missing links :(

Yomanze
05-02-2015, 11:45
Use Hola in Chrome to access Netflix from the USA, Sweden etc. for *far* greater choice than Netflix UK: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en (works with Amazon too).

Eagle owl
14-02-2015, 22:24
I signed up for the one month free trial of Netflix on Monday 9th February and I've become a couch potato, LOL. I fully intend to continue paying once the free trial has finished, excellent value for money imho. :)

struth
14-02-2015, 23:39
My b band unfortunately is not fast enough.

Spectral Morn
15-02-2015, 15:49
No thanks, Amazon control way too much already.

All these extra providers, mean the program pool gets smaller and the BBC (one has to pay for) and Sky (one chooses to pay for) have less options to present as other providers nab programs first or nab after the big boys get them an audience.

TV viewing is getting way too complicated, spread out and expensive :)

Regards Neil

audioquiz
15-02-2015, 16:08
you don't have to pay for the beeb, FACT. under sections 86 and 82 of european law, besides the licence is an act not law. have a look on the net, thats if the beeb aint got there first and wiped it. EU law overides UK law

struth
15-02-2015, 16:46
nope. it doesnt in all cases.

The Barbarian
15-02-2015, 16:49
We got shut of Sky, i bought her a couple of Smart TV's to stream catch up & use Netflx. I don't bother wasting time watching TV but the wife loves it all.