PDA

View Full Version : EAR 859 Tube Rolling (Valve Swapping) - Any Experience / Opinions?

Ross D' Mac
08-03-2012, 12:34
Hi all,

I've read about on the web on tube rolling for the 859. It seems with most components, changing valves will alter the characteristics of presentation, sometimes a different flavour, sometimes just better. It makes sense that this should apply to the 859 too.

Of course I've read that Paravacini claims it makes not one iota of difference to performance, but I find this hard to believe, and of course he has the "untouchable" EAR brand image to protect.

With the addition of an anode cap, swapping over valves should be hassle free, and the amp can be returned to default at any time.

In any case, I have "Golden Dragons" which are not the default output valves, not sure about the input valves.

Here's a thread where one blogger waxes lyrical about performance enhancement post swap with some NOS:
http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13412

I saw there was a previous thread on here but it was fairly inconclusive.

So, input / output tube rolling on the 859. Will it make a difference? Which tubes for what characteristics?

An advice appreciated : ) be nice now...

R

YNWaN
08-03-2012, 13:05
sq225917 has changed tubes in his EAR's - I can't honestly say I have heard any change.