PDA

View Full Version : My Rock.

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 15:23
My Rock has a strange platter. It has this sponge materiel on the top. Normally the Rock platters have this hard material all over the top.

And the plinth is not glossy shiny metal. Some pics at the bottom to see. Sorry about the dust.

Any reason why my Rock is a little different?

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/007-16.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/008-12.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/009-9.jpg

YNWaN
07-03-2012, 15:43
Someone has glued the Nottingham Analogue foam mat to the platter - I've got two and they look exactly like that.

The same person has probably re-sprayed the plinth.

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 16:19
Someone has glued the Nottingham Analogue foam mat to the platter - I've got two and they look exactly like that.

The same person has probably re- sprayed the plinth.

I don't think so.

YNWaN
07-03-2012, 16:32
Probably not if those stickers on the back don't look like they have ever been removed. To be honest, the plinth looks as I would expect, powder coated (within the limits of your photographs).

Are you hoping it is some sort of 'one off special' (I'm afraid I don't think it is)?

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 16:36
Probably not if those stickers on the back don't look like they have ever been removed. To be honest, the plinth looks as I would expect, powder coated (within the limits of your photographs).

Are you hoping it is some sort of 'one off special' (I'm afraid I don't think it is)?

Oh my god, we have a critic here.

And no, I'm not hoping it's a special. But no doubt, it's made MUCH better than your little deck.

Alex_UK
07-03-2012, 17:11
Oh my god, we have a critic here.

And no, I'm not hoping it's a special. But no doubt, it's made MUCH better than your little deck.

Easy fella - I think you've taken Mark's comments the wrong way - at least I didn't read the comments in the same way as you appear to have Shane... So no "handbags in the car park" please! ;)

YNWaN
07-03-2012, 17:14
My advice is that you learn some manners Shane, rather than behaving like a petulant child.

After that abuse I don't see why I should explain further, but what I meant was, looking at your pictures, the finish looks as I would expect (all the ones I have seen are a satin black).

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 17:22
My advice is that you learn some manners Shane, rather than behaving like a petulant child.

After that abuse I don't see why I should explain further, but what I meant was, looking at your pictures, the finish looks as I would expect (all the ones I have seen are a satin black).

One thing about you, you like to cause arguments. Always noticed that about you.

And the same goes to you, you need manners yourself.

Goodbye.

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 17:23
Easy fella - I think you've taken Mark's comments the wrong way - at least I didn't read the comments in the same way as you appear to have Shane... So no "handbags in the car park" please! ;)

Sorry, Alex:)

Alex_UK
07-03-2012, 17:25
Can we please draw a line underneath it and move on - both - there's no need for a misunderstanding to escalate into pistols at dawn. ;)

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 17:27
Alex,

please close down the thread please. YNWan had to come and ruin things.

Cheers.

Alex_UK
07-03-2012, 17:30
Alex,

please close down the thread please. YNWan had to come and ruin things.

Cheers.

That's not strictly true Shane - he was simply responding to your thread, and I think you've misread the situation - I don't believe there was any intent to ruin anything - so please can we move on. Thanks.

southall-1998
07-03-2012, 17:32
No problem, Alex.

Cheers.

Lionheart
07-03-2012, 19:34
Your Rock is a Mk2 (1st edition), I've had 5 Rock's since the early 80's (including the one in the powder coat finish) and every one has been slightly different.

Lionheart
07-03-2012, 19:41
This is a powder coat version with plinth

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa466/lionheart-uk/lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.jpg

DSJR
07-03-2012, 20:08
As I remember, you needed a clamp normally with a Rock 2. A Spacemat may make it easier to use since it does a fine job at record support - it's not like "ordinary" foam..

Lionheart
07-03-2012, 20:23
Dave the earliest Rock I Had didnt have a screw puck (I had to buy a Rega one) and strangely had a motor housing that hid the pulley, the platter had a rough (ish) plaster finish underneath

hifi_dave
07-03-2012, 20:35
Every Rock I saw was different to the one before. Early ones were rather 'rough' to put it politely but I seem to recall that they all had screw on clamps. Maybe I started stocking them after the first flush.

The Nottingham is a good mat but I would prefer to use the Rock as designed, with the record straight onto the platter. In this case, however, removing that mat, if it's stuck on, might be tricky.

vinylspinner
07-03-2012, 20:50
Hi Guys,

I use mine without any mat with good results, this is how they were designed to be used, also use the screw down clamp. I also have a strange hybrid platter of delrin and glass which was on a second Rock that I owned.

Nigel

Lionheart
07-03-2012, 20:53
Every Rock I saw was different to the one before. Early ones were rather 'rough' to put it politely but I seem to recall that they all had screw on clamps. Maybe I started stocking them after the first flush.

The Nottingham is a good mat but I would prefer to use the Rock as designed, with the record straight onto the platter. In this case, however, removing that mat, if it's stuck on, might be tricky.

The early one that I had in the photo above, come from a guy who used to work for Max in the early days, I brought an Avalon off him at the same time.

markf
08-03-2012, 03:45
Not sure why this thread went sour so quickly, anyway I have a rock turntable but
it’s a Townshend version which of course is black .
Now I thought only the first cranfield tables were bare metal including the trough,
the OP’s rock has the black trough so must originally have been finished in black, the mat
looks suspect as I remember the literature for the rock saying the hard mat of the platter
was a better interface for the vinyl record.....there was never anything spongy about the rock
nor should there be. I hope that mat hasn’t been glued on !

I might need a new inner platter I think mine might be a little bit corroded where
the plaster main platter was contacting the bare metal.

Rare Bird
08-03-2012, 09:47
Loverly, i used to have a Rock 2. Great bottom end.. Always wanted the original Cranfield Rock..

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1763

(Hope you don't mind Anthony) :thumbsup:

hifi_dave
08-03-2012, 10:28
The original, original Rock was a truly massive affair requiring heavy lifting gear to move it around. I'm not sure if any, apart from the 'show' one was ever made. It was quickly trimmed down to the forms you see now.

Rare Bird
08-03-2012, 10:40
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elite-Cranfield-Technology-Rock-Turntable-Excalibur-Arm-Very-Rare-/180819369898?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item2a19ac9faa

:eyebrows: