PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

Pages : 1 [2] 3

struth
27-02-2015, 15:47
mines in the oven.....the delicate odour is gently wafting down the street .:eyebrows:

struth
27-02-2015, 15:55
I have pictures [emoji6] [emoji102]

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/27/99ed9aeaa691b4b1234cd777e8f55779.jpg

User211
27-02-2015, 18:12
Mine was prettier:D

struth
27-02-2015, 19:23
Yes it was and lighter. Mine did not work well and although tasty was too heavy. ...binned.

walpurgis
27-02-2015, 19:28
Yes it was and lighter. Mine did not work well and although tasty was too heavy. ...binned.

You should have kept it as a record stabiliser! :D

Marco
28-02-2015, 12:21
Del’s making this for lunch tomorrow: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2297/duck-with-red-cabbage-and-madeira-gravy

Yum, yum - can’t wait! :)

Marco.

struth
28-02-2015, 13:53
I like duck. if cooked right its fabulous. done wrong its ghastly. madeira wine... such sauce

struth
28-02-2015, 13:55
You should have kept it as a record stabiliser! :D

ive a low sprung deck..it would ground as would me belly after eating too much of that cock up...mistakes do happen but i will stick to doing it the normal way

Marco
28-02-2015, 14:17
I like duck. if cooked right its fabulous. done wrong its ghastly. madeira wine... such sauce

Yesh, I’d imagine she’s planning on cooking it right... :eyebrows:

Madeira makes a great sauce with duck, along with the juniper berries, etc, which add a bit of sharpness. Can’t have any table wine with it, though, as we’re off it for Lent! :(

Marco.

struth
28-02-2015, 15:01
Yesh, I’d imagine she’s planning on cooking it right... :eyebrows:

Madeira makes a great sauce with duck, along with the juniper berries, etc, which add a bit of sharpness. Can’t have any table wine with it, though, as we’re off it for Lent! :(

Marco.

had to look that one up mate...40 days! shock horror probe.... respect due....my lent is about a day:)

Marco
28-02-2015, 15:10
It’s a Catholic thing, mate. Yup, we’ve given up all alcohol, for the duration of Lent, not just wine.

TBH, we don’t miss it that much as we’re not big drinkers. Normally, it’s a bottle or (maybe) two of red wine between us at the weekend, and maybe a few beers during the week (I mean two or three small bottles of continental lager), and that’s it.

On Sunday, for lunch or dinner, whichever we decide to do for the main meal of the day, Del will cook something special, so I always open a really nice bottle of red (French claret or burgundy usually) to go with it. *That* is when we miss alcohol, as drinking mineral water, or something else non-alcoholic, with a lovely roast leg of lamb (or whatever) doesn’t really do it!! :rolleyes:

Marco.

struth
28-02-2015, 15:16
well done anyways....could be worse you might have had to go without other things.:eyebrows:

Marco
28-02-2015, 15:24
Lol! :eyebrows:

Well done? Nah, that’s sacrilege... Pinkish in the middle, and nicely done on the outside, cut into neat slices (and served with lashings of home-made gravy, created from the meat juices, with a little red wine added), after being slowly roasted and studded with loads of fresh garlic and rosemary! :exactly:

Marco.

Marco
28-02-2015, 22:11
Re-reading this thread, I’ve just realised I’ve misunderstood what you meant by “well done”! :lol:

I iz a dafteeeeeeee……..

Marco.

Andrei
01-03-2015, 02:34
This is what I did for a Pot-Luck dinner we went to last night; it is a salad.
Throw together the following, apart from the silverbeet, corn and salmon everything is uncooked:

- Handful of cherry tomatoes;
- Small quantity of finely chopped celery;
- Small quantity of finely chopped spring onion;
- 1 small radish, finely chopped;
- Small quantity of fetta cheese;
- Large bush of Silverbeet;
- A second leafy green - lettuce or rocket (or both for that matter)
- 1 diced cucumber;
- small handful of pumpkin seeds;
- good sprinkling of sesame seeds;
- Pitted and chopped Kalamata olives;
- 1 cob of corn
- 1 Very finely sliced or shredded carrot
- 250 gram salmon steak.

The silverbeet should be chopped finely and and boiled. When cooked, cool it with running water and then squeeze it in your hands to all the water out. You will notice it appears about a tenth of the size you began with, so make sure you start with heaps.
The corn can be microwaved for 3 mins in its sleeve. Take it out of the magnatron and peel off the leaves under cold running water. Then take all the corn off the cob and allow to cool.

The key to the look of this salad is all the great colours. The key to the flavour is in the salmon. Buy a largish smoked salmon steak. On that has cajun spices is ideal. It is the salmon and the salmon oil that imparts the flavour.

The net result is a salad that is a substantial meal in its own right. The salmon gives a good aroma and there are a full range of colours to make it welcoming.

Options. Tuna is ok as a cheaper option but I only use if I am making it for just myself, otherwise it is worthwhile getting a really good salmon.
The silverbeet can be replaced with spinach.
You can add one sliced picked cucumber - what what ever you do do not use a pickled cucumber that has been sweetened in any way.
If you want it without fish at all you can add a little more fetta and olives to impart their flavour and use some hummus as a dressing, or a spoonful of basil pesto into a good quality mayonnaise.

Marco
01-03-2015, 07:33
Sounds nice, Andrei. Just one question: what’s silverbeet? It’s not something we’re familiar with in this country. Perhaps we call it something else… Got a pic? :)

Marco.

Marco
01-03-2015, 07:39
Just had a Google around… We know it as Swiss chard :)

Marco.

User211
01-03-2015, 11:41
OK - proper white bread time. This will make amazing toast.

700g cheap white flour (I used Waitrose Essential Strong - 1.5KG at £1.10 - though LIDL at about 60p works well). One teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Frozen fresh yeast - about a 4g blob defrosted with luke warm water. Mix dry ingredients first, then hydrate with tap water until all the flour becomes one and the dough is fairly wet.

Hydration is important - get it fairly wet but not too wet. You need to be able to handle it as dough, so think about it. Just stir it with a fork and DO NOT knead it. There's little point in specifying an amount of water as it varies with the flour. You need to judge it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DqiTbtc3_c4/VPL2pz1DmoI/AAAAAAAACgU/maWBEd2zHCM/w898-h506-no/dsc01819-qpr.jpg

I used about 2/3s of the blob on the left. The amount is NOT critical as it multiplies all by itself.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tx1hec8hqs8/VPL2tbf4wFI/AAAAAAAACgg/Bk2VR4LvlMw/w898-h506-no/dsc01820-qpr.jpg

User211
01-03-2015, 11:44
Oil plus yeast plus dry ingredients under the tap. Just add water until all the dry flour in the bowl joins the "blob". That will give you "about" the right hydration.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IDNr-KC2byU/VPL2tb5SCWI/AAAAAAAACgk/3g2ecx2XQnQ/w898-h506-no/dsc01821-qpr.jpg

When it looks like this you are spot on.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XlTPXRMSlBE/VPL2u0jKrqI/AAAAAAAACgs/Fki5RPzOdNM/w898-h506-no/dsc01822-qpr.jpg

User211
01-03-2015, 11:52
Leave for 12 hours in a warm place should look like this. Put cling film on top of the bowl for the 12 hours stops the top drying out.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_G_mrdwfEr4/VPL215dE7jI/AAAAAAAAChU/DSR-Rymhq8o/w898-h506-no/dsc01833-qpr.jpg

Drop the dough onto a floured surface. Cover your hands in flour and pat it onto the top of the dough. This will make it "handleable". Then fold it but stick your fingers in it first to form aeration pockets. This is critical if you want a light texture. See picture later on.

Pot bake with lid on for 25 minutes at 250 deg C in a cast iron pot that you have pre-heated in the oven.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c6qYthlUjwI/VPL21nP8mKI/AAAAAAAAChQ/4bE4DT0-xhU/w898-h506-no/dsc01835-qpr.jpg

Lid off for another 25 minutes.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8GJMPDYrXsg/VPL21cyC-qI/AAAAAAAAChI/JoVApQkXidA/w898-h506-no/dsc01836-qpr.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X1wssYXrpy4/VPL25BmZ9hI/AAAAAAAAChc/MkAEF5c6Je4/w898-h506-no/dsc01837-qpr.jpg

When cool and sliced:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DF2Vvx2QAa8/VPL26JHQOpI/AAAAAAAACho/iZbg5ykJqSo/w898-h506-no/dsc01846-qpr.jpg

Note the holes that make the bread aerated and light. That was you sticking fingers in the dough like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dxx2o9by-Kw/VPL26Y4qZNI/AAAAAAAAChs/HiDWVhTVbXo/w898-h506-no/dsc01848-qpr.jpg

If you don't use the finger method it will still be excellent but really quite dense. Still makes fabulous toast you might even prefer it that way. This loaf would cost you a fiver at my local deli.

User211
01-03-2015, 11:57
There are loads on videos on YouTube, many from people who look to produce really not great results. But some do look very good. Have a fish a round making bread is a great hobby once you get into it.

The tricky bit is handling the dough. YouTube videos will show you how. Dough is alien til you get used to handling it.

I hope I have inspired at least one forum member to have a go.

Andrei
01-03-2015, 12:45
Sounds nice, Andrei. Just one question: what’s silverbeet? It’s not something we’re familiar with in this country. Perhaps we call it something else… Got a pic? :)
Marco.
Yes Cale - but name aside it is wonderful stuff. I find it better than spinach in terms or colour and flavour and easiness to grow (though I would not argue the point with Popeye).

There are loads on videos on YouTube, many from people who look to produce really not great results. But some do look very good. Have a fish a round making bread is a great hobby once you get into it.

The tricky bit is handling the dough. YouTube videos will show you how. Dough is alien til you get used to handling it.
I hope I have inspired at least one forum member to have a go.

Nice. I think that food and hi-fi have one one thing in common: Looks matter almost as much as flavour/ sound !!!

User211
01-03-2015, 13:31
Nice. I think that food and hi-fi have one one thing in common: Looks matter almost as much as flavour/ sound !!!

Yeah. But those who deny it are probably not being 100% honest.;)

Barry
02-03-2015, 19:50
Tonight's dinner was local butcher-made wild boar and apple sausages, with mustard mash potato (proper mash with lumps and skin in it, not the homogenous puree some think of as mash), lightly sauteed chestnut mushrooms, carrots, fine green beans and purple cale. All washed down with a pint of Sharpe's Doombar ale. :)

Marco
02-03-2015, 19:55
Sounds good, but skin inside mashed potato? Each to their own, but not for me…! :nono:

Mashed potatoes should be suitably decadent. I like mine smooth (but not pureed), with plenty of butter in and a touch of cream, then some freshly ground black pepper on top - yum, yum!!

Marco.

struth
02-03-2015, 20:43
I hate lumpy mash. yuk!! whole potatoes crushed with a fork is good but if your going to mash them it has to be smooth for me...

Marco
02-03-2015, 20:47
+1 :)

Marco.

The Barbarian
02-03-2015, 21:49
Aubergine Parmigiana is yummy & easy to make..

southall-1998
03-03-2015, 00:07
I hate lumpy mash. yuk!! whole potatoes crushed with a fork is good but if your going to mash them it has to be smooth for me...

Foodie fusspot! :)

S.

Marco
03-03-2015, 10:11
Sez the take-away food champion! :ner:

Marco.

southall-1998
03-03-2015, 11:27
:lies:

S.

struth
03-03-2015, 12:13
Gone all vegie today..Tortellini and med veg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/03/41b4bea1b10f56cbda1fc0e997b50e03.jpg

Marco
03-03-2015, 12:27
Looks nice… Did you make the tortellini? ;)

Marco.

struth
03-03-2015, 12:27
Now that was good:eek:p

Barry
04-03-2015, 20:41
Tonight it was:

Chilli con carne on a bed of long-grain rice with some ratatouille on the side. All washed down with some Moreland's 'Old Speckled Hen' ale. Yummy! :)

Marco
04-03-2015, 20:50
What’s happened to the wine of late, old chap? Are you trying to grow a hairy chest, to impress your new girlfriend, with all this beer drinking? :D

Marco.

struth
04-03-2015, 20:52
Looks nice… Did you make the tortellini? ;)

Marco.

Nope...but I heated it up :eyebrows: An Aldi frozen micro steam meal... they are all superb

Barry
04-03-2015, 20:57
What’s happened to the wine of late, old chap? Are you trying to grow a hairy chest, to impress your new girlfriend, with all this beer drinking? :D

Marco.

Haha - don't need to impress her with my beer drinking. She's impressed enough by my cooking, my music collection and, dare I say it, my music system.

Anyway, I don't drink fine wine with spicy food and that includes chilli con carne as well as curries. It's either ale or lager with them.

Don't worry, I'll be back to the wine soon enough. :)

[PS My chest is hairy enough as it is.]

struth
04-03-2015, 21:09
Haha - don't need to impress her with my beer drinking. She's impressed enough by my cooking, my music collection and, dare I say it, my music system.

Anyway, I don't drink fine wine with spicy food and that includes chilli con carne as well as curries. It's either ale or lager with them.

Don't worry, I'll be back to the wine soon enough. :)

as is my ass:eek:

User211
04-03-2015, 21:26
Fry ups? Nah mate. Baked breakfasts are where it is at. Healthier. Better flavour. Really. Less mess and fat gone everywhere.

I got into this after eating the breakfasts served at our local Impero Lounge - the best I think I have ever had.

Here's how.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MgglFSQEPlQ/VPL2pGtF7HI/AAAAAAAACgQ/HmvZcEagZ2A/w898-h506-no/dsc01814-qpr.jpg

Basically dump it all on the baking sheet how. This iteration used sub-standard sausage and bacon but is all I had that day.

Top tips for this are:

1) De-skin your sausages and form into patties.
2) Use Louisiana Hot Pepper sauce and not the one pictured later.
3) Bake for 20 mins with 10 minutes for the eggs which you add with the bacon and black pudding after 20 mins.
4) The beans will take the full 30 minutes in a container like that to get really good.
5) Add parmesan shavings on top of the eggs.
6) With amazing timing you can get runny yolks if you try.

User211
04-03-2015, 21:27
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O6VMnoe8CU4/VPL2pTgTVmI/AAAAAAAACgM/n0UOhdJLpyg/w898-h506-no/dsc01817-qpr.jpg

Get the right condiments. Worcs sauce on the mushrooms is good I think.

User211
04-03-2015, 21:29
After 30 mins only one thing to clean.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qbg_lphfsLQ/VPL2xi7qGsI/AAAAAAAACg8/saSxsxJqpz4/w898-h506-no/dsc01824-qpr.jpg

Enjoy awesomeness.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MNhJvTl7q1Q/VPL2xIU8vaI/AAAAAAAACg4/mHmiMTL9Vg8/w898-h506-no/dsc01828-qpr.jpg

struth
04-03-2015, 21:40
I like a good fry up all baked up...:eyebrows:

User211
04-03-2015, 21:59
Yeah and real baked baked beans LOL,

Marco
04-03-2015, 23:12

Wow - I thought you were going to say something else at the end there!! :eyebrows:

Ah, you see that’s the difference between you Brits and us Europeans: we drink different wine with different foods! There are other types of vino you can slurp other than claret/‘fine wine', which go very well indeed with the food you’ve just described.

I know, Tabatha told me… She says next time you can sweep the ‘man fluff' up off of the dungeon floor, after playing that ’special game’ you like with candle wax and tweezers ;)

Marco.

Roy S
04-03-2015, 23:25
After 30 mins only one thing to clean.

4 things if you count the pots the beans & the eggs are in :). For 'healthy' you just need a BIG decent non-stick frying pan with just a smidge of oil. You can microwave the beans on the plate you're going to dish the rest up on.

User211
05-03-2015, 18:24
4 things if you count the pots the beans & the eggs are in :). For 'healthy' you just need a BIG decent non-stick frying pan with just a smidge of oil. You can microwave the beans on the plate you're going to dish the rest up on.

No the pots go in the dishwasher. Might need a slight pre-scour on the egg pots.

I don't agree though baked is far less hassle. You cannot do that little lot and get it out all hot at the same time. You'll also have to stand there doing it all for ages.

Marco
05-03-2015, 21:52
‘Heart-attacks’ on a plate, chaps! :eek:

Black pudding is rank :spew: I don’t ‘do’ offal - no siree… :nono:

On the very odd occasion I eat that sort of stuff, sautéed mushrooms usually feature somewhere in the equation - and I hope those eggs are of the free-range/organic variety (and poached), or there’ll be trouble! ;)

The buttered ‘soldiers’, for dipping into the egg yolk are missing, too……….

Marco.

struth
05-03-2015, 22:35
Stornoway Black and white pudding is fabulous. A bit more expensive but a fantastic product. luckily we have a couple of butchers who stock it. Was never overly keen on black til I tried some.

Marco
05-03-2015, 22:43
Whatever you’re into, matey, but that sort of stuff isn’t for me. My dad owned a couple of chip shops in Glasgow and Paisley, and I can still remember the horrid stench of raw black pudding on my hands, when i used to have to carry it in from the store and stack in up in the shop, near when it would then be put into the fryer… Boiled blood: BOGGIN!!!

Now, if you were talking about some top-notch Lorne sausage (in a soft white, buttered morning roll, with broon sauce), another Scottish ‘delicacy’, then that’d be a different ball game! ;)

Marco.

struth
05-03-2015, 22:48
Whatever you’re into, matey, but that sort of stuff isn’t for me. My dad owned a couple of chip shops in Glasgow and Paisley, and I can still remember the horrid stench of raw black pudding on my hands, when i used to have to carry it in from the store and stack in up in the shop, near when it would then be put into the fryer… Boiled blood: BOGGIN!!!

Now, if you were talking about some top-notch Lorne sausage (in a soft white, buttered morning roll, with broon sauce), another Scottish ‘delicacy’, then that’d be a different ball game! ;)

Marco.

Love good Glasgow sausage with sauce and a tatie scone on top in, as you say a proper morning roll. It was my brekkie for years.....2 of them actually :eyebrows: and a crispy bacon one too:eek: Damn, I'm making myself hungry

Marco
05-03-2015, 22:55
Love good Glasgow sausage with sauce and a tatie scone on top in, as you say a proper morning roll. It was my brekkie for years.....

Hehehehe…. Aye, far better than yon other things that the English like, which look like a wee length of 'man’s meat’! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Barry
06-03-2015, 15:34
Hehehehe…. Aye, far better than yon other things that the English like, which look like a wee length of 'man’s meat’! :eyebrows:

MArco.

I'm more than happy with the hand-made sausages my local butcher makes: wild boar and apple; pork and leek, or beef with caramelised onion. They're made with the leanest meat and are delicious. :)

Regarding 'ready meals', this makes for sobering reading: http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/do-you-know-how-unhealthy-a-ready-meal-can-really-be-11363966310255. Try not to throw up! :spew:

Marco
06-03-2015, 15:43
I'm more than happy with the hand-made sausages my local butcher makes: wild boar and apple; pork and leek, or beef with caramelised onion. They're made with the leanest meat and are delicious. :)

Yeah I know, it was a tongue-and-cheek remark. Grant and I were referring to the square sausages you get up in Scotland, called ‘Lorne’, and comparing them with what we call ‘links’, which are what you get everywhere else, and that you’ve just described above.

I’m actually super-fussy when it comes to sausages, as the cheapo ones are filled with all sorts of shite, and are as fatty as hell. Therefore, I’ll only eat ones I know have been made properly, are filled with quality ingredients, and have a high meat content.

I’ll look at your link now to ready-meals. Good job I wouldn’t touch that sort of stuff with a bargepole! :nono:

Marco.

Barry
06-03-2015, 15:56
Yeah I know, it was a tongue-and-cheek remark. Grant and I were referring to the square sausages you get up in Scotland, called ‘Lorne’, and comparing them with what we call ‘links’, which are what you get everywhere else, and that you’ve just described above.

I’m actually super-fussy when it comes to sausages, as the cheapo ones are filled with all sorts of shite, and are as fatty as hell. Therefore, I’ll only eat ones I know have been made properly, are filled with quality ingredients, and have a high meat content.

Marco.

I wouldn't recommend a visit to the Walls factory then! :eek: Every part of a pig goes into their sausages (and I mean everything). No wonder the EU are trying to 'outlaw' the "Good Old British Banger" - not without reason.

Same goes for fishfingers; Captain Birdseye may claim there are no 'grey' bits, there aren't because they bleach the fish that goes into them!

User211
06-03-2015, 17:12
‘Heart-attacks’ on a plate, chaps! :eek:

Why? It isn't fried. Not much of a heart attack problem, more of a processed meats give you stomach cancer problem.

The MASSIVE point I feel is being missed here is that it tastes MILES better than a fry up. Even one done with a tinsy bit of oil. Microwaved versus baked beans are no contest too.

I'm just sorry I didn't do that one with decent bacon and the sausage taken out of its skin and formed into a pattie. It was still, nowever, great, I say modestly:D

Anyway my oven broke a few days ago and I need a new one, so I am a bit at a loss for a great breakie til then.

Marco
06-03-2015, 17:37
Hi Justin,

Why? It isn't fried. Not much of a heart attack problem, more of a processed meats give you stomach cancer problem.

Sure, but it’s still a rather fatty and calorific meal. Eat that stuff too often and it could cause obesity and diabetes, which can also lead to heart problems….

Anyway, forget about that, it’s obviously something you enjoy eating, and I take on board the advantages of your baking concept.

How did you cook the eggs? I’m not really a fan of fried eggs, as they have the tendency to be greasy. I like mine poached, with a nice hard white outside and a yolk just soft enough, so that it’s slightly runny, but you can still stand a ‘buttered soldier’ up in them (using toasted Granary-style bread).

Are you not into mushrooms? I also like my tomatoes sliced in half and grilled, so that the tops caramelise a little and it imparts a slight barbecued flavour, and the outsides go slightly mushy.

Anyway my oven broke a few days ago and I need a new one, so I am a bit at a loss for a great breakie til then.

Sorry to hear that, dude. I’m sure you’ll get that replaced soon. In the meantime, do you have a Premier Inn near you? They do a superb ‘eat as much as you like’ breakfast, with everything you can imagine in terms of a cooked or continental breakfast, for £8.75, and it even includes a big cup of frothy cappuccino!

Honestly, it’s superb value, because you can have as many sausages, slices of bacon, eggs or whatever as you want - there are NO RESTRICTIONS. The quality is also excellent (at least it is in our local one). We sometimes go there and have that as our main meal of the day, as after eating it you don’t feel hungry again until about 7pm at night! For details, see here:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/admin/restaurants/brands/Table_Table.pdf.bodyrestaurantinfo.Single.Breakfas tMenuPdfFile.tmp/BreakfastMenu.pdf

Marco.

Roy S
06-03-2015, 17:41
it tastes MILES better than a fry up. Even one done with a tinsy bit of oil.

Have to disagree. I 'bake' the Bacon & Sausages when I'm catering for a number of people & they tend to get a little dry & are not as succulent (like the pigs in blankets idea though).

Roy S
06-03-2015, 17:45
Sorry to hear that, dude. I’m sure you’ll get that replaced soon. In the meantime, do you have a Premier Inn near you? They do a superb ‘eat as much as you like’ breakfast, with everything you can imagine in terms of a cooked or continental breakfast, for £8.75, and it even includes a big cup of frothy cappuccino!

Honestly, it’s superb value, because you can have as many sausages, slices of bacon, eggs or whatever as you want - there are NO RESTRICTIONS. The quality is also excellent (at least it is in our local one). We sometimes go there and have that as our main meal of the day, as after eating it you don’t feel hungry again until about 7pm at night! For details, see here:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/admin/restaurants/brands/Table_Table.pdf.bodyrestaurantinfo.Single.Breakfas tMenuPdfFile.tmp/BreakfastMenu.pdf

Marco.

Toby do one for £3.99 -

http://www.tobycarvery.co.uk/offer/allyoucaneatbreakfast/

& you can hang around and have a pint after :)

Marco
06-03-2015, 17:51
Cool… For me, it would depend how good the quality of the food is at that price. I don't do cheap, just for the sake of it….

At the Premier Inn, the bacon is proper (and lean) back-bacon slices, not all rind and fat and, oops, where’s the bacon? Also the sausages are from a local Welsh supplier. Proper pork and leak. Eggs are also free range, as you can tell by the lovely deep-yellow coloured yolks - nothing is skimped on, including the portions.

Unless the Toby one was (rather miraculously) of the same standard, I’d rather pay the extra for the Premier Inn breakfast, and know that I’m eating quality ingredients :)

Marco.

User211
06-03-2015, 17:54
Marco,

I had a Premier Inn breakfast in Stevenage last year and I was surprised. It really was good indeed. Had I not have done so I wouldn't have believed you.

This place is better: http://thelounges.co.uk/

There was a mushroom in my breakfast did you read all I posted? Maybe not. Re-read for the eggs.

Actually this is fab: use a container for the egg like in my pictures, but put some chopped ham on the bottom. Break the egg on top, then top with cheddar or parmesan. The bake it and eat with whatever - toast maybe.

User211
06-03-2015, 18:00
Have to disagree. I 'bake' the Bacon & Sausages when I'm catering for a number of people & they tend to get a little dry & are not as succulent (like the pigs in blankets idea though).

The pigs were just Waitrose. Quite good quality.

As I say try the pattie idea. But it will be much drier than a fried sausage and if that is your bag maybe don't bother. I love them that way.

User211
06-03-2015, 18:05
Actually I wonder what the difference in calorie count between baked and fried breakfast actually is. Oh and Marco - I am not fat or even vaguely overweight. Once a week max for the baked breakfast.

Marco
06-03-2015, 18:08
Good chap :)

Marco,

I had a Premier Inn breakfast in Stevenage last year and I was surprised. It really was good indeed. Had I not have done so I wouldn't have believed you.

This place is better: http://thelounges.co.uk/

It is rather good, isn’t it? I’ll have a look at that other site now. Depends if they have an outlet near me.

There was a mushroom in my breakfast did you read all I posted? Maybe not. Re-read for the eggs.

Probably not, lol, as I mostly only have time to scan-read posts. I shall flick back and check!

Actually this is fab: use a container for the egg like in my pictures, but put some chopped ham on the bottom. Break the egg on top, then top with cheddar or parmesan. The bake it and eat with whatever - toast maybe.

Interesting and noted :cool:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
06-03-2015, 18:09
Made some lemon marmalade today.

Fresh off the tree, soften all the bits on the woodburner over a few hours and then add sugar and boil for about 15 minutes. Absolutely bloody delicious. A real bite, beautiful in Greek yoghurt or just on buttered toast.

The recipe said twice as much sugar as fruit:eek:. What the hell is the point of having lemons if you have them sweet? Maybe it's necessary with supermarket lemons, nasty bitter little things but I only used six of ours and got six big pots of marmalade. Just one to one with the sugar as with normal jam.

Roy S
06-03-2015, 18:22
use a container for the egg like in my pictures, but put some chopped ham on the bottom. Break the egg on top, then top with cheddar or parmesan. The bake it and eat with whatever - toast maybe.

Will definitely try this

Marco
06-03-2015, 20:29

Fresh off the tree, soften all the bits on the woodburner over a few hours and then add sugar and boil for about 15 minutes. Absolutely bloody delicious. A real bite, beautiful in Greek yoghurt or just on buttered toast.

The recipe said twice as much sugar as fruit:eek:. What the hell is the point of having lemons if you have them sweet? Maybe it's necessary with supermarket lemons, nasty bitter little things but I only used six of ours and got six big pots of marmalade. Just one to one with the sugar as with normal jam.

Sounds great, Gordon. I agree that lemons picked straight from the tree are ‘sweeter’ than the rather harsh ones you get in supermarkets. I’ve had them that way in Italy. Lucky bugger, though, having access to such produce! :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
06-03-2015, 20:55
Sounds great, Gordon. I agree that lemons picked straight from the tree are ‘sweeter’ than the rather harsh ones you get in supermarkets. I’ve had them that way in Italy. Lucky bugger, though, having access to such produce! :)

Marco.
One advantage of marrying a professional gardner. Things just grow here like magic.

jollyfix
06-03-2015, 22:20

MMMmmm sounds Delicious Gordon, I had this lemon and pink grapefruit tart once in California, boy was it good, not sweet, but sharp and tangy. Very refreshing also. Home made Lemon ( not to sweet ) Marmalade on good bread toast, sounds like heaven.

Gordon Steadman
07-03-2015, 08:23
MMMmmm sounds Delicious Gordon, I had this lemon and pink grapefruit tart once in California, boy was it good, not sweet, but sharp and tangy. Very refreshing also. Home made Lemon ( not to sweet ) Marmalade on good bread toast, sounds like heaven.

Real food has such distinct flavours. We argue....discuss this with our neighbours quite often. They both smoke and swear there is no difference between our home grown and the supermarket. When we compare, the flavours just burst in our mouths and they can't hear...er, taste the difference.

Sound familiar?:lol:

Tim
07-03-2015, 14:26
I have my favourite chilli recipe bubbling away in the slow cooker right now - been making chilli for countless years and this has to be my best recipe. I used to use cumin, but don't really like it in chilli. This is quite hot (which I like), adjust the chilli proportions if you like a milder recipe. Leaving out the seeds from the fresh chilli reduces the heat quite a bit.

500g lean mince
500g beef brisket, thinly sliced
2/3 large chopped Spanish onions
2/3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 large fresh red chilli, finely chopped with seeds
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar
2 bay leaves
2 tins quality chopped tomatoes (Napolina) or 6/8 fresh tomatoes
2 tins quality kidney beans (Napolina) (added towards end of cooking)
2 beef stock cubes
1 large tbsp tomato purée
1 bottle of Sol or Corona beer
Salt & pepper to taste
2/3 chunks of good quality 70% cocoa or higher dark chocolate (added towards end of cooking)

Add chopped onions to a heavy based pan and slowly sauté till translucent in a good glug of olive oil and butter. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two, then add the chilli powder, red chilli and paprika to the onions, sauté gently for 2-3 minutes, then add to slow cooker. Brown the meat in another glug of olive oil, drain when browned and add to cooker. Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes, add the beef stock cubes, beer, tomato purée, bay leaves and sugar - season to taste. When heated through add to cooker on high and reduce to low after 30 or so minutes when it has started to bubble. Add the kidney beans an hour before serving and the chocolate about 30 minutes before serving.

The combination of mince and brisket really gives the chilli a great 'bite' consistency, as well as flavour. The dark chocolate is a Mexican tip, really gives a deep richness to the flavour. Don't add too much, you shouldn't be able to actually taste it, it's a background note rather than a noticeable flavour. 6 to 8 hours on low in the slow cooker.

struth
07-03-2015, 15:17
Nice addition of chocolate...I will try that......I don't put Kidney beans in mine so substitute them....and I add some jack daniels:eyebrows:

struth
10-03-2015, 13:01
Took delivery of a tub of double action baking powder from the USofA today. just made a very nice soda bread with it. pity you cant get it in this country...dunno why.

Andrei
10-03-2015, 13:25
I have my favourite chilli recipe bubbling away in the slow cooker right now - been making chilli for countless years and this has to be my best recipe. I used to use cumin, but don't really like it in chilli. This is quite hot (which I like), adjust the chilli proportions if you like a milder recipe. Leaving out the seeds from the fresh chilli reduces the heat quite a bit.

500g lean mince
500g beef brisket, thinly sliced
2/3 large chopped Spanish onions
2/3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 large fresh red chilli, finely chopped with seeds
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar
2 bay leaves
2 tins quality chopped tomatoes (Napolina) or 6/8 fresh tomatoes
2 tins quality kidney beans (Napolina) (added towards end of cooking)
2 beef stock cubes
1 large tbsp tomato purée
1 bottle of Sol or Corona beer
Salt & pepper to taste
2/3 chunks of good quality 70% cocoa or higher dark chocolate (added towards end of cooking)

Add chopped onions to a heavy based pan and slowly sauté till translucent in a good glug of olive oil and butter. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two, then add the chilli powder, red chilli and paprika to the onions, sauté gently for 2-3 minutes, then add to slow cooker. Brown the meat in another glug of olive oil, drain when browned and add to cooker. Deglaze the pan with the tomatoes, add the beef stock cubes, beer, tomato purée, bay leaves and sugar - season to taste. When heated through add to cooker on high and reduce to low after 30 or so minutes when it has started to bubble. Add the kidney beans an hour before serving and the chocolate about 30 minutes before serving.

The combination of mince and brisket really gives the chilli a great 'bite' consistency, as well as flavour. The dark chocolate is a Mexican tip, really gives a deep richness to the flavour. Don't add too much, you shouldn't be able to actually taste it, it's a background note rather than a noticeable flavour. 6 to 8 hours on low in the slow cooker.

Absolutely extraordinary! I have a strikingly similar recipe (sans sugar, beer, and cocoa). In NZ we (well Me actually) tend to use Topside rather than Brisket (a lean beef that seems to have everything going for it except fast frying.) I know a lot of Thai cooking calls for sugar but , but - well, gulp (did I really say that?) I'll give it a go!!!!!

The Barbarian
17-03-2015, 16:50
Aubergine Parmigiana is yummy & easy to make..

Eye just made one up ready to go in the Oven. I don't eat junk/Unhealthy food these days

Believe it or not that cost me around £3 to make.

Tim
17-03-2015, 17:06
I'll give it a go!!!!!
Nice one :)

I often use something sweet in hot recipes, to help temper the heat - as you say a lot of Asian cuisine uses sugar with chilli. I think chilli recipes after you have tried every variation over the years, often gravitate to something resembling the above. The smoked paprika adds a nice edge, but some of my friends don't like it, but they really like my recipe without it.

Reffc
31-03-2015, 15:53
Nice one :)

I often use something sweet in hot recipes, to help temper the heat - as you say a lot of Asian cuisine uses sugar with chilli. I think chilli recipes after you have tried every variation over the years, often gravitate to something resembling the above. The smoked paprika adds a nice edge, but some of my friends don't like it, but they really like my recipe without it.

I agree. I have a similar recipe, but I add more paprika (a tablespoon), a little more suger (2 tspns...preferably palm sugar) and a star anise. I also substitute red wine for the beer (350ml) and add a little fresh Tarragon to the dish once the chopped tomatoes have been added.

I lived and worked in the Far East on and off for a fair few years and by far the best cuisine experienced was in Thailand (I was there helping to design and supervise the Pathum Thani Rangsit raw water intake and water treatment works in the late 1990s).

The classic balance was heat, sour, savoury, sweet. They sometimes used complimentary flavoured ingredients too which set them apart from say Indian cuisine which was more about and explosion of different flavours on the palate.

struth
03-05-2015, 11:13
heres a recipe for a cold wet winters day in May. ...piping hot veg soup and toasted soda bread, all home made of course...:eyebrows:

hifilover
03-05-2015, 11:59
Pot-roast silverside (ideal cut as roasted it's not the best cut and can go tough easy IMO but pot-roasted it's superb) Just make sure you've 5 hours spare whilst it cooks ;)

A good sized piece of Silverside (depends on how many your feeding but I always buy a bigger piece as it's great for leftovers and sandwiches)!
Decent beef stock/veg stock cubes like Kallo
Stock veg (celery, onions, carrots - as many as you like really depending on the size of your crock-pot)
Bay leaves
Whole pepper corns
A thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger
Rosemary, sage and thyme sprigs/leaves

First off get your crock pot (or a heavy based frying pan) on the gas and get it HOT with a good splash of olive oil; brown the silverside off giving it a good crispy browning all over
Chop up your stock-veg roughly and place them and the silverside into the crock-pot
Make up at least 1-1.5l of beef/veg stock and pour over the beef; ideally you want this 2/3 of the way up the meat, add water if necessary
Add a good few bay leaves, around 10 peppercorns (mixed is preferable) and crush the root ginger and add that also
Push the sprigs of rosemary, thyme in under the meat/stock veg and the same with a good handful of sage leaves

That's it! Whack it in the over (ideally up full blast and then turn it down to 180 when you put the meat in) and give it a good few hours to begin with; keep your eye on the stock and if it drops a lot top up slightly with water and turn the heat down to around 150/160 etc... (my oven's quite fierce so even at 160 it comes out perfect)

Needs ideally 4-5 hours in the oven and give it a good 45mins on the side to rest (just leave it in the crock-pot/stock) - Ideal time to get your roasties in and Yorkshire puds (if you're doing them) OR serve with smooth mash and some lovely steamed greens (beetroot leaves, chard, kale and spinach work best IMO)

struth
03-05-2015, 12:08
Pot-roast silverside (ideal cut as roasted it's not the best cut and can go tough easy IMO but pot-roasted it's superb) Just make sure you've 5 hours spare whilst it cooks ;)

A good sized piece of Silverside (depends on how many your feeding but I always buy a bigger piece as it's great for leftovers and sandwiches)!
Decent beef stock/veg stock cubes like Kallo
Stock veg (celery, onions, carrots - as many as you like really depending on the size of your crock-pot)
Bay leaves
Whole pepper corns
A thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger
Rosemary, sage and thyme sprigs/leaves

First off get your crock pot (or a heavy based frying pan) on the gas and get it HOT with a good splash of olive oil; brown the silverside off giving it a good crispy browning all over
Chop up your stock-veg roughly and place them and the silverside into the crock-pot
Make up at least 1-1.5l of beef/veg stock and pour over the beef; ideally you want this 2/3 of the way up the meat, add water if necessary
Add a good few bay leaves, around 10 peppercorns (mixed is preferable) and crush the root ginger and add that also
Push the sprigs of rosemary, thyme in under the meat/stock veg and the same with a good handful of sage leaves

That's it! Whack it in the over (ideally up full blast and then turn it down to 180 when you put the meat in) and give it a good few hours to begin with; keep your eye on the stock and if it drops a lot top up slightly with water and turn the heat down to around 150/160 etc... (my oven's quite fierce so even at 160 it comes out perfect)

Needs ideally 4-5 hours in the oven and give it a good 45mins on the side to rest (just leave it in the crock-pot/stock) - Ideal time to get your roasties in and Yorkshire puds (if you're doing them) OR serve with smooth mash and some lovely steamed greens (beetroot leaves, chard, kale and spinach work best IMO)

nice Dan....I take it thats just your portion:eyebrows:

hifilover
03-05-2015, 13:36
nice Dan....I take it thats just your portion:eyebrows:

It'd do for a starter ;)

struth
03-05-2015, 14:18
some jungle kids recipe on tv...catch a number of giant tarantulas toast till they squeak then enjoy! put me off food for life...the grown ups prefer to boil monkeys

RichB
22-11-2015, 14:40
Loads of veg in to use so I'm making a variation of Jaime Olivers pukka chicken curry with paneer instead. Less dribble in mine though...

Spinach and spuds for a side dish of sag aloo. Homemade rotis too...

Sunday lunch Indian style.

Yomanze
22-11-2015, 19:46
I have been getting into stews recently. My fave so far with no fine chopping. Big chunks are the order of the day.

2x onions
3x celery sticks
3x carrots

Get a heavy cast iron pan on the go on the hob as hot as you can with a glug of rapeseed or veg oil, then throw your veg base in with a grind of salt and pepper. Keep stirring, around five minutes and then pour it all out into a bowl.

In the same pan, throw in some thickly diced lamb shoulder, don't mess with flour, just another grind of salt and pepper, until it is seared and browned all over but don't cook it, three mins tops of browning make sure your meat is as dry as possible before cooking I pat with kitchen roll.

Get the meat out on top of the veggies.

Deglaze the pan with a can of Guinness.

Add in the meat and veg, and then enough chicken stock until the pieces are barely covered.

Generous grind of salt and pepper, 3 squashed whole garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, cover and leave in the oven. Oh and put a few diced potatoes and a quarter of a pack of butter in.

In the oven for at least 7hrs on gas mark 1. Last half hour stir in some cornflour premixed in equal water. I usually use two good tablespoons of cornflour.

Old school.

RichB
22-11-2015, 20:09
I have been getting into stews recently. My fave so far with no fine chopping. Big chunks are the order of the day.

2x onions
3x celery sticks
3x carrots

Get a heavy cast iron pan on the go on the hob as hot as you can with a glug of rapeseed or veg oil, then throw your veg base in with a grind of salt and pepper. Keep stirring, around five minutes and then pour it all out into a bowl.

In the same pan, throw in some thickly diced lamb shoulder, don't mess with flour, just another grind of salt and pepper, until it is seared and browned all over but don't cook it, three mins tops of browning make sure your meat is as dry as possible before cooking I pat with kitchen roll.

Get the meat out on top of the veggies.

Deglaze the pan with a can of Guinness.

Add in the meat and veg, and then enough chicken stock until the pieces are barely covered.

Generous grind of salt and pepper, 3 squashed whole garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, cover and leave in the oven. Oh and put a few diced potatoes and a quarter of a pack of butter in.

In the oven for at least 7hrs on gas mark 1. Last half hour stir in some cornflour premixed in equal water. I usually use two good tablespoons of cornflour.

Old school.

Sounds like a cracking Irish Stew that.

Oddball
25-11-2015, 11:11
Cracking stuff.
I do similar but add a little worcs sauce , balsamic vinegar , and a spoon of black treacle in place of the beer

Marco
15-12-2015, 20:54
Wot, no spiders? :eyebrows:

Marco.

User211
15-12-2015, 21:41
I made Nigella's baked Romaine lettuce with anchovies, garlic and a fried egg. It was shite.

However, baked Romaine with a drizzle of olive oil and a good dose of Louisiana Hot Pepper sauce is another story...

Marco
15-12-2015, 22:24
I made Nigella's baked Romaine lettuce with anchovies, garlic and a fried egg. It was shite.

You do realise that she's just a clueless coke-snorting bint with delusions of grandeur, who in reality, hasn't got much of a clue how to cook? ;)

Marco.

Oddball
15-12-2015, 22:41
You do realise that she's just a clueless coke-snorting bint with delusions of grandeur, who in reality, hasn't got much of a clue how to cook? ;)

Marco.
Aye , but I still would

User211
16-12-2015, 06:41

Marco.
She even cooks a ham in coke. Actually, that IS good.

You should have seen what my phone turned coke into there. Really.

Marco
16-12-2015, 07:16
Naughty phone... But then you must be typing that word quite often, for it to predict it! ;)

Marco.

User211
16-12-2015, 07:34
Nigella... will you come and see me?

But she never does.:(

Marco
16-12-2015, 07:44
You really want to give her a damn good 'soiling', don't you? :eyebrows:

Marco.

User211
16-12-2015, 08:17
You really want to give her a damn good 'soiling', don't you? :eyebrows:

Marco.
I'll leave that to you.

Me? I prefer the front door:D

struth
07-01-2016, 13:39
Not a recipe or very healthy but deffo scrumptious.. Lidl,s deluxe individual steak ,c rawson stilton and port pie... Very delicious indeed. The question is... Do i have the other one?

Tim
07-01-2016, 13:55
Quite possibly the best description of NL that I have ever read - why anyone gives her house room is beyond me :scratch:

As I cook all the time and do a lot of research online for recipes, it became apparent many years ago that many of her so called 'original' recipes are direct copies from recipes posted long before she claimed them as her own. I guess a lot of so called 'celeb' TV chefs do that, as they are not chefs at all, so just get ideas from pros, but she can't even hold a knife correctly!

Oddball
08-01-2016, 00:10
Quite possibly the best description of NL that I have ever read - why anyone gives her house room is beyond me :scratch:

As I cook all the time and do a lot of research online for recipes, it became apparent many years ago that many of her so called 'original' recipes are direct copies from recipes posted long before she claimed them as her own. I guess a lot of so called 'celeb' TV chefs do that, as they are not chefs at all, so just get ideas from pros, but she can't even hold a knife correctly!
Possibly true.
I must admit I like a plumpish dark haired lady that smiles at you ,like she does .
in the early days , she did not use that to her advantage ,but now ,its all shot by the camera crew like an orgasm , on the point of boiling over

Tim
08-01-2016, 11:20
Possibly true.
I must admit I like a plumpish dark haired lady that smiles at you ,like she does .
in the early days , she did not use that to her advantage ,but now ,its all shot by the camera crew like an orgasm , on the point of boiling over
Haha, that made me laugh over my porridge. Yup, she sure can pout ;)

struth
08-01-2016, 11:28
Dunno about her cooking abilities as ive never used any of her recipies but she used to be a sexy dish and worth an ogle for that alone. Saw her on who do u think you are as well...

Yomanze
10-01-2016, 18:24
Roast chicken.

Don't worry about getting the rub under the skin, it causes too many complications such as the skin pulling away from the meat during cooking, and doesn't harm flavour if you season directly on top.

Get it out of the packet and pat it dry all over with kitchen roll.

Grind over the skin with sea salt and pepper, generously. Leave it for an hour or so out of the fridge.

Skin and quarter an onion, squash a whole unskinned clove of garlic. 4x of them, and squish each piece into an onion quarter before shoving each quarter + clove into the bird. 2 or 3 decent sprigs of rosemary and thyme in the bird.

Throw 5x or so shallots and 3x cloves of garlic into a roasting pan, light rub of extra virgin olive oil over the chicken skin, now, the important part.

For the first half hour at least, roast the chicken upside down in the roasting pan. This will mean that the thigh and leg cook properly whilst protecting the breast.

During the last hour to 40 mins flip the chicken over so it is breast side up. Best thing about this method apart from the flavour is that there is no need to baste.

Once done, pour some of the juices out into the pan for your gravy, and tightly wrap your chicken up in foil, rest for 20 mins, turn over every 5 mins to keep the remaining juices running over the bird.

When unwrapping, pour the rest of the juices into your gravy. Use a whisk to squash your roasted shallots and garlic that you put in the roasting pan (which you poured into your gravy pan), for sieving later.

Enjoy!

Tim
10-01-2016, 19:28
Drools . . . 😊

struth
26-05-2016, 15:12
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/032d675f25889b0697c030a2e250cc19.jpg

Warm soda bread. Not much can beat it

Yomanze
26-05-2016, 15:40
Especially with a proper Irish stew. :)

struth
18-09-2016, 16:31
Got some Canadian bread flour in so made a 2lb freehand cob with it.... came out well...ive been busy all week making mini pizzas lol.

Looking forward to this coolinghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/ec797f70bd1648194dfb1d2686434107.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/b3d4c01bff665f03eb02677dd6038770.jpg

Edit: ts delicious. Great crust with crisp and chewy, and inside its as light n fluffy as a babies nappy*(before use)* lol. .... tastes much better though :) Good flour this, so may get some bulk of it, as it will be cheaper

struth
18-09-2016, 17:49
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160918/7b26559d64021938d3d34efdf16f8d7d.jpg

User211
18-09-2016, 20:08
Looks quite good, Grant. Complement indeed, from me;)

Much commercial bread isn't really bread. I was looking at a Warbutons Toastie ingredients list. Soya flour indeed. Gotta say their crumpets are good, though. Nice and light and they toast well from frozen. Whatever they are made of LOL.

I think the best home made bread comes from:

1) Long ferment e.g. 12 hours using fresh or frozen baker's yeast. Not many know fresh baker's yeast freezes brilliantly and will last a year or more that way. I strongly advise buying it off ebay and freezing it.

2) Pot baking the loaf with the lid on for half the baking time, then lid off.

3) The realisation that very little kneading is required. The long ferment circumvents the need for it.

Techno Commander
19-09-2016, 00:35
Beef Vindaloo

Although its says Vindaloo in the title, its more of a madras heat, but has that lovely deep flavour of a vindaloo. Slow cooking in the oven makes it incredibly rich and tender. :)

Ingredients
25g Butter
1 Large Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Medium/Large Tomatoes
2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Honey
600g Diced Beef
20g Chopped Coriander
½ cup Stock, or Water
Spice Mix
2 Teaspoons Cumin Powder
1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
½ Teaspoon Chilli Powder
½Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
3cm Piece of Ginger (grated)
2 Bay Leaves
1 Star Anise

Blend spice mix ingredients (except star anise and bay leaves)
Heat butter and sauté onions & garlic until tender
Add tomatoes and half the spice mix and cook for 2 minutes
Add stock/water, honey and vinegar and bring to boil
Pour mix into casserole dish
Fry & brown beef in same frying pan used for onions
Once brown, add remaining spice mix
Cook for a further minute and add to casserole dish
Use splash of water to de glaze pan and pour into casserole dish
Add star anise and bay leaves, place lid on casserole dish
Place in oven (140C) for 2 hours
Remove from oven, stir add stock/water if required
Return to oven without lid for 20 – 30 minutes
Keep an eye on dish, as it will thicken quickly from this point
Serve with rice and chopped coriander

struth
19-09-2016, 10:11
Looks quite good, Grant. Complement indeed, from me;)

Much commercial bread isn't really bread. I was looking at a Warbutons Toastie ingredients list. Soya flour indeed. Gotta say their crumpets are good, though. Nice and light and they toast well from frozen. Whatever they are made of LOL.

I think the best home made bread comes from:

1) Long ferment e.g. 12 hours using fresh or frozen baker's yeast. Not many know fresh baker's yeast freezes brilliantly and will last a year or more that way. I strongly advise buying it off ebay and freezing it.

2) Pot baking the loaf with the lid on for half the baking time, then lid off.

3) The realisation that very little kneading is required. The long ferment circumvents the need for it.

I never got on with potting a loaf.. must have done something wrong. I bung it in oven with some cold water flung in bottom for steam. Improves the crust(if i want a thicker chewy one) if you pop a tea towel over it when cooling it softens it enough..leave off if you want it crusty. Prefer fresh yeast but not got any at moment so using a decent dried. You dont really get as good aroma though

struth
24-09-2016, 12:48
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/88d4bae230a8bcaedfe91ea7a5906f16.jpglatest baby, just ready for flouring and baking.. yum today n tomorrow

Roy S
24-09-2016, 12:51
How much impact adhesive in this recipe? :D

struth
24-09-2016, 12:59
Lol, i noticed that after i posted it Roy.. like to have some around in house in case a sticky situation comes up

User211
24-09-2016, 19:27
I dunno what happened with your pot baking failure, Grant. I don't think it has ever failed for me.

Because the lid is on for the first 20-30 mins, you don't need to throw water in the oven. Also, the appearance of the finished loaf looks brilliant. Literally like a deli loaf. Most of the time.;)

Try it again sometime but not with a soda bread? As per earlier in this thread, even my soda came out looking good and I had never done one before.

Tips:

Use a cast iron pot if you can, but it is not necessary.

Heat the pot in the oven first. It needs to be 230 deg/c before you put the dough in and the lid on top. Be freaking careful and do not forget the lid is hot!!!

Place the pot on a baking stone if you have one. That isn't really necessary either.

Make sure the pot is big enough to handle a 20-30 minute rise without hitting the lid.

Make sure the pot isn't too big, such as the sides never giving the loaf any support.

Watch a few pot baking YouTube videos.

Or ignore all the above and carry on as you are:);)

struth
24-09-2016, 19:40
Most of that one is gone already.. Neighbour came in and got half of it. she helps out as does her hubby. so I dont mind returning the favour

User211
26-09-2016, 20:19
Started yesterday 11 am.

700g white flour, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, frozen baker's yeast, 410ml water, 2 tsp salt.

Couldn't be arsed to bake it, so put it in the fridge. Got home today, straight out of the fridge pic.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02766_zpsmsq28xdc.jpg

Note bubbles from what is an extremely long, cold ferment.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02769_zpsqr2a1qd9.jpg

Tip it out.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02772_zpsxpokpmz3.jpg

Fold it twice.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02773_zpsnibnmoyj.jpg

Stretch and fold twice again the other way.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02774_zps3pd3f59h.jpg

Slit with bread knife.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02775_zpsvf7xndob.jpg

Dump in 230 deg C pot being careful not to go to hospital.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02776_zpsi6sc2fhi.jpg

Bake lid on 30 minutes, lid off 20 minutes.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02779_zpsv7ao6n2u.jpg

Be prepared for awesomeness.

Cost of kit? About £2 for the plastic bowl from Asda (if that). Cast iron pot is 30 years old so I'd say the cost there is zero.

struth
26-09-2016, 20:34
Nice looking loaf. be tasty with long rise and bakers yeast. you can see the stretch marks :eyebrows:... I use the same plastic bowls. great things. Ive 2. one for mixing then 1 for proving . not got a roaster at moment; brother nicked it off me lol.

User211
26-09-2016, 21:09
What I find fascinating is that it is a process you are never really 100% in control of. You have some degree of control, but yeast behaves like it wants to, and all loaves shape differently when you lose the madness of a bread machine's awful looking consistently unattractive shaped produce.

I actually put the ferment in the fridge last night at about 11pm. It dropped slightly in the cold of the fridge - it had risen higher.

Baking such cold dough gave less rise than usual. Will have a slice in about an hour.

White loafs freeze well and make brilliant toast. Even deli/posh baker loafs have a very hard time beating bread produced as above.

struth
26-09-2016, 21:29
part of the fun. Sourdough is worse, and can be a lot of work. I dont make it now, but still like taste. Got a bread machine too, and it makes nice bread with no effort, but I prefer to do the work, even if it causes me a lot of pain these days. Its an achievement a bit like setting up a cart is

Marco
26-09-2016, 21:41
Can't help thinking that the end of that reminds me of something....

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/User_211/EAR%20868PL/Bread/DSC02774_zps3pd3f59h.jpg

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
26-09-2016, 22:13
you must have a big ass and a long neck :eyebrows: or do you use a mirror :lol:

Marco
26-09-2016, 22:19
Pull back the skin of yer 'beef olive' and reveal the inner sausage.... :D

Marco.

walpurgis
26-09-2016, 22:20
you must have a big ass and a long neck :eyebrows: or do you use a mirror :lol:

Unusual 'selfies' I reckon! :D

struth
26-09-2016, 22:48
Unusual 'selfies' I reckon! :D

Knew there would be a use for those poles ;)

Marco
26-09-2016, 23:04
It's a wee wiener, not a jobby! :lol:

Marco.

User211
26-09-2016, 23:06
It is a work of art. It will go down in history as "the turd that wouldn't come out". Or "the dick no tart would peel".

Whichever way you look at it, this sort of shit is worth £25 million a series. Or so I heard.

A reflection on what it means to be British in the year 2016? Some might say what the fuck have we become?

walpurgis
26-09-2016, 23:08
Some might say what the fuck have we become?

Former Labour voters I reckon!

struth
26-09-2016, 23:16
I was good... it wiznae me, honest

Marco
26-09-2016, 23:27
It is a work of art. It will go down in history as "the turd that wouldn't come out". Or "the dick no tart would peel".

Hehehe... You could sell it as a bespoke 'pork bun'. Think about that when you bite into it! :D

Marco.

struth
30-09-2016, 15:01
Homemade cream of celery souphttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160930/86502eec835a9911ae959812997d9838.jpg

struth
30-09-2016, 15:11
Georgous it was too...

Easy to make as well...

You just need chicken stock, a celery, a potoato and an onion with salt, pepper, double cream and a little cornflour if needed.. i use cheese sauce granules.

Chop it up into stock and cook with some salt for 1/2 hr and let cool to luke warm. Liquidize and seive out about half the contents and bung other half in with the sieved stuff. This makes it smoother without being too thin. Reheat, add cream and some seasoning to taste, plus a few granules of cheese or whatever. Save the heads of celery with the little leaves and cut finely on top of each plate. As nice a soup as you will find anywhere and fairly light too.
Cost is minimal, surprisingly.

walpurgis
30-09-2016, 16:26
I'm shortly starting on a broccoli, cauliflower, pasta and cheese bake. With red kidney beans, green french beans and chopped carrot added. Plenty of butter and pepper too. Should be good. I'll be using a ready made white sauce, but I do make my own sometimes.

struth
17-10-2016, 16:08
Cream of celery soup again.. luvely drop of soup this

struth
14-11-2016, 10:47
Ah, a pot roast... luverly crust on it

Yomanze
25-11-2016, 17:26
Am making a Thai jungle curry tonight, which is a green curry without coconut milk and a couple of twists. The paste is the most important part. Mine serves 4x people. Will follow up in another post with how to use it. It is a lot of ingredients, but very simple to cook, the effort is in making the paste.

6x garlic cloves
6x Thai shallots (the really small ones), or 4x normal shallots.
6x coriander roots, which you can get from Chinatown
2x whole lemongrass, sliced, only the bits with purple rings inside them near the bottom (quiet Marco)
6x small green chillies, heads cut off
Thumb sized piece of peeled galengal, or ginger if you can't find it. Try to find galengal though.
3 x kaffir lime leaves, centre stem removed (slice each leaf down the middle removing the stem)
Pea sized lump of fermented shrimp paste, be careful this is hardcore stuff. Less is more.
2x tbsp fish sauce
1x tsp ground white pepper

Start with the fibrous stuff, which is the coriander root, the galengal, lemongrass and lime leaves. Get it chopped up and into a big pestle and mortar, put a folded tea towel under your mortar as you need to pound the ingredients. When they start to break up, add the chillies and garlic, then the Thai shallots, add in the white pepper. It will take a good 20 mins of pounding to get a fine paste.

Add the shrimp paste, and a couple of tablespoons of fish sauce. Pound gently at this point as you don't want it to splash out. Get a uniform consistency.

To be continued. :)

Yomanze
25-11-2016, 17:57
Georgous it was too...

Easy to make as well...

You just need chicken stock, a celery, a potoato and an onion with salt, pepper, double cream and a little cornflour if needed.. i use cheese sauce granules.

Chop it up into stock and cook with some salt for 1/2 hr and let cool to luke warm. Liquidize and seive out about half the contents and bung other half in with the sieved stuff. This makes it smoother without being too thin. Reheat, add cream and some seasoning to taste, plus a few granules of cheese or whatever. Save the heads of celery with the little leaves and cut finely on top of each plate. As nice a soup as you will find anywhere and fairly light too.
Cost is minimal, surprisingly.
All over this, thanks for sharing.

User211
23-12-2016, 14:22
Just has to be shared. Series of awesome food videos. Here's a couple but there's way more from AlmazanKitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_2A1n1mHAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_htz17JO8MU

struth
23-12-2016, 14:53
My lasagne is very similar, although not as much farting about ;) i also add a bit of chilli to mine, and use cheddar

User211
23-12-2016, 15:49
No offense but I'll take his Grant.;)

I tried this egg in the bread idea in a fried sandwich. It works seriously well. Not sure I'll use my toasted sandwich maker anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6saA95-6o

struth
23-12-2016, 15:55
No offence taken, but you might just be surprised by mine... ;). Im a darn good cook

struth
23-12-2016, 16:00
No offense but I'll take his Grant.;)

I tried this egg in the bread idea in a fried sandwich. It works seriously well. Not sure I'll use my toasted sandwich maker anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6saA95-6o

Not an egg guy but did have a penchant for egg dipped cheese sarnies for a time.. was a take on french toast lol. Bit of lea n perrins inside of course.

Gordon Steadman
23-12-2016, 16:02
No point in contributing to this thread at this time of year. What's this reasonably healthy stuff?

Indulgence is the word, forget all that other stuff. We've already stuffed all the mince pies so I'm making another batch tomorrow. Loadsa pud, cream. brandy, wine, Baileys, chocolate bread and butter pudding, then for lunch.............

RichB
29-12-2016, 20:50
Hankering after something plain and unfussy I've just made a bloody delicious cheese omelette with a few salad leaves on the side.

Gorgeous.

struth
17-01-2017, 20:48
Got a soupmaker today lol.. Tried it out and, hey, it made me 2 big, or 3 medium plates of celery soup easy as...in 30 mins. smooth as a babies bottom too. have the other plate for lunch tomorrow.
Was an offer from Aldi, and for money its really good. cleaned easily too

3 legs celery, 1 medium potato, 1 small onion, 500 mil water, a chicken stock cube, salt n pepper..... dollop of double cream at the end..... costs for soup about 90p

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Soup-Maker-A.jpg?o=KS%40OkUo%40%24vX%40Bo2HG6a6%24H5C4W8j&V=BmUu&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77 £39.99 I think

Marco
17-01-2017, 20:52
Nice one, mate. Sounds interesting... Next time you make some soup with it, take some pics of that and the beastie itself :)

Marco.

struth
17-01-2017, 20:55
Just added a stock photo(pun intended) :D

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/Soup-Maker-A.jpg?o=KS%40OkUo%40%24vX%40Bo2HG6a6%24H5C4W8j&V=BmUu&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

can crush ice too.. dunno what else, but it will get used for soup.. its difficult to make a pan of soup for 1. so this is much easier to gauge

Marco
17-01-2017, 20:56
Ha - love it... Looks good. TBH, the quality and VFM of any of this sort of stuff from Aldi and Lidl is excellent. Only pretentious badge snobs turn their noses up at it, much like with hi-fi! ;)

Marco.

User211
17-01-2017, 22:12
Grant this whole thang is because you are addicted to that freakin' celery soup recipe. You will turn green and weigh about 4 stone soon.

User211
22-01-2017, 11:15
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/0af9a86454ac44a956fe615d4ff64bad.jpg

Invented this on Friday and had to have it again.

Toast a medium sized tortilla in a pan on both sides until burnt a bit and nicely puffed up. Place lettuce on top, add 4 slices of pastrami and two eggs scrambled.

Be sure to add a good pinch of salt and pepper to the beaten egg. The salt is essential for this recipe.

Wrap the tortilla in foil as it keeps it hot and holds it together. Peel the foil as you eat it.

Better than I thought it would be by a margin.

struth
22-01-2017, 13:23
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/0af9a86454ac44a956fe615d4ff64bad.jpg

Invented this on Friday and had to have it again.

Toast a medium sized tortilla in a pan on both sides until burnt a bit and nicely puffed up. Place lettuce on top, add 4 slices of pastrami and two eggs scrambled.

Be sure to add a good pinch of salt and pepper to the beaten egg. The salt is essential for this recipe.

Wrap the tortilla in foil as it keeps it hot and holds it together. Peel the foil as you eat it.

Better than I thought it would be by a margin.

Sounds good.. might give that a roll, with a substitute for the egg. Not big on egg. Any thoughts on good substitute?

Grant this whole thang is because you are addicted to that freakin' celery soup recipe. You will turn green and weigh about 4 stone soon.

Lol. Just made another pot.. adding a bit of fish sauce.... exquisiteness xtrordinaire lol

User211
22-01-2017, 13:30
Cheese, tomato, spring onion, pastrami, hot sauce? The only reason I posted that is it worked for me big style.

Anything goes in a tortilla. Tortilla pizza is bloody good too. Just use one as a pizza base and add whatever you like. Tomato passata with basil is a good start with mozzarella, jalepeno and pepperoni. Don't use too much passata as the base will go soggy but get it right and they are fab.

struth
22-01-2017, 16:38
Decided to pull out my thingy :eyebrows:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/58836ebdbcf843a57526bbe317fdf93d.jpg

Not used it for years tbh as i usually hand bake but im getting sorer so tried it and first time

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/10fd1b88497ef2d625dbc38c66b2f429.jpg

Not bad at all. Will go with the soup.

User211
22-01-2017, 23:38
The thing that puts me off bread machines is the look of the finished product. It always looks the same - unattractive. Appreciate it can taste OK though.

I do use mine for dough making but only about 40℅ of the time. After the dough cycle I let it rise for about 8 hours before baking as I use real baker's yeast and not the fast yeasts baking machines need.

I use a Panasonic too.

struth
24-01-2017, 12:41
Luxury porridge

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/5bc9c0064874d9bfd54e61e991058146.jpg

1/3 cup of pinhead cooked in 1 cup water. Pinch of salt once boiling starts. 1 min in, add a sprinkle of jumbo oats. Once nearly cooked add a level tsp of brown sugar and some fruit juice. Then a little cream at end(double). Serve with fruit, cream and brown sugar on top. Astonishing

Yomanze
24-01-2017, 16:49
Here's a bomb-proof method to get a juicy, flavoursome chicken every time, it is well worth spending a few quid on a digital meat probe to take the guesswork out of doneness:

1. Prepare your rub, there's loads of recipes online to choose from, but to keep it simple: 3x heaped tablespoons of peppercorns, grind them up in a pestle & mortar, and add in 2x heaped tablespoons of sea salt, grind up into a grey powder. You might need more with a bigger bird e.g. 4x pepper 3x salt, don't wimp out on the amount used.

2. Prepare your bird, quality matters, and I find the £5-ish free range chickens from ALDI are great. Pat it dry with kitchen paper, inside goes a peeled onion, halved or quartered, 3x squashed garlic cloves, and a fistful of 'savouries' such as rosemary and thyme. Get it all in the cavity. Then sprinkle your bird all over with the rub, patting it in and rubbing into the creases around the leg and wing joints. Rub some extra virgin olive oil into your hands and start patting the bird all over until you have a nice thin coating.

3. Prepare your oven. Get a decent roasting tray in making sure that you've got some clearance for the chicken, bring the oven up to gas mark 7.

4. Put your bird in upside down. This is critical because thighs take longer to cook than the breast, hence why people usually end up with dry breast meat when it should be juicy. Leave upside down for half an hour at gas mark 7.

5. Turn your bird over and lower the temp to gas mark 6, when the breast reaches 70 deg c, it's ready to be taken out. Usually you'd check the thigh meat, but it'll be done if you've followed the above steps, so check the breast instead. If you like, do a butter baste in the last half hour, I find that this isn't necessary due to the upside down cooking dropping juices and fats into the breast & skin.

6. Rest your bird for at least 15 minutes, upside down with a loosely wrapped 'tinfoil tent', don't wrap tightly as it'll continue to cook the bird for too long. Upside down resting drops the juices back through the breast again.

7. Use the juices from the tray (deglazed with a splash of white wine) and the juices from your rested bird to add into your gravy. Enjoy.

Cooking times will be shorter than what the packet says (maybe half an hour less), or by the usual methods, due to the upside down blast at gas mark 7, so again, invest in a digital meat probe for fuss-free roasting.

Yomanze
24-01-2017, 17:17
Luxury porridge

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/5bc9c0064874d9bfd54e61e991058146.jpg

1/3 cup of pinhead cooked in 1 cup water. Pinch of salt once boiling starts. 1 min in, add a sprinkle of jumbo oats. Once nearly cooked add a level tsp of brown sugar and some fruit juice. Then a little cream at end(double). Serve with fruit, cream and brown sugar on top. Astonishing

Nice, I like the idea of using different oats, am also a sucker for cream & brown sugar, will give this a go. :)

struth
24-01-2017, 17:24
Pineapple is one of the best to serve with, Fresh or tinned. It cuts into the oatyness. Yes it used to be called farmers porridge way back coz they had plenty cream etc. Mix of oats improves texture with the prodominance for pinhead as it doesnt turn to mush.

struth
02-02-2017, 12:08
Yellow Split Pea soup today.. glorious soup...
half bag of yellow split peas soaked for an hr or so.
Plenty ham stock. I use knorr stock cubes(2)
1 onion
1 tin carrots mashed.
Salt n pepper
A little fish sauce
Corriander.
Cook for about an hr stirring regularly and add water as needed. Once peas have mushed, liquidise and serve.

Marco
03-02-2017, 15:42
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Marco.

struth
07-02-2017, 10:53
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

Marco.

Forgot to take pic of that Marco. But just made luxury porridge again..yum

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/9391ea08f8d1cdbe04f66283662848e0.jpg

And scoffed it lol

Barry
07-02-2017, 15:36
Make sure you use that 50p Tesco voucher Grant! :eyebrows:

struth
07-02-2017, 15:38
2 ten pound ones too... it all helps :lol:

Yomanze
08-02-2017, 09:52
Closest KFC recipe I have tried. MSG seems to be the only thing missing. http://www.trbimg.com/img-57b892fc/turbine/ct-kfc-recipe-revealed-20160818

Measurements are tablespoons. White pepper is the key. Am on my second batch already. To make a KFC style gravy simply use 500ml of chicken stock, make a roux with a couple of tablespoons of the spiced flour and butter. Done.

I like getting three bowls, one with the flour, one with a couple of beaten eggs, and the 3rd with panko breadcrumbs. I use a packet of mini fillets (goujons). Dredge in flour, then egg, then flour again, egg again, and finally the breadcrumbs. Don't use a heavy oil like vegetable, use groundnut or peanut oil. Shallow fry for 2 mins a side. The oil should be around half the depth of the fillets.

Marco
08-02-2017, 14:19
What's 'origino', when it's at home? I presume they mean oregano? Honestly, the standard of spelling these days is bloody atrocious! :doh:

I'd try and cut down on the salt and oil content, if I were you, as that's what makes this stuff bad for you...

Marco.

Barry
08-02-2017, 18:26
I'm having difficulty sourcing celery salt. Schwartz don't sell it anymore.

struth
08-02-2017, 18:45

Tesco sell it under their own brand, and I think Schwartz still make it

Marco
08-02-2017, 19:18
Seek and ye shall find: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257504523

;)

Marco.

Barry
08-02-2017, 19:40
Thanks Guys,

I've not seen it on the shelves at any of the supermarkets I use. I do have a 'refill pack' which will last some time though.

Marco
08-02-2017, 19:49
No worries. Don't forget the origino! :eyebrows:

Some folk mustn't travel further than the back of their garden..... Nae educashun!

Marco.

User211
08-02-2017, 20:06

Quite good with boiled quail's eggs. Which are a very good indeed by my reckoning.

Barry
10-02-2017, 17:26
Quite good with boiled quail's eggs. Which are a very good indeed by my reckoning.

Indeed! :)

User211
06-03-2017, 19:31
Had one of these (http://www.pieminister.co.uk/pies/chilliconcarnage/) at the Bristol Hi-Fi show and was seriously impressed.

Had a few Pieminister pies and have not been touched. But this one rocks. I've just had another to confirm its excellence.

it should, and I repeat should, be served with gravy granules and mash. I know it is bad gravy, but it really suits it.

Some prepared supermarket mash will do, but I admit I've just used real mash and it is better if you can be arsed, obviously.

Believe the cooking instructions and cook it at 160 degs fan for 25 minutes. If you go higher you will make the pastry too hard, and much will be lost.

Try before you die.

User211
26-03-2017, 22:06
Water, white flour, yeast, salt.

Nothing else.

High hydration dough.

Testing new 1+3T phone camera in low light. Not seen it on the big screen yet...

2 mins 12 of a loaf of bread. Twat of a post really. Are you food nerd enough to watch the lot?

https://youtu.be/KC20_MSJCe0

struth
28-03-2017, 16:45
Lasagne Well a take on it anyway lol

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170328/b71817a4e276c3bf8d17e78b4a31990c.jpg

Recipe to follow if it's ok. Not made one for some time but it used to be a party piece.

Was a quick, and what i had recipe... cooked some minced beef with a chopped onion some fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy and chilli n garlic paste i get. Chinese actually lol. Its great stuff.

Then added a roasted pepper coursely chopped( came out of a big jar but they are very good) and a roughly chopped tin of plum tomatos. Cheese sauce was bisto granules and then grated cheddar on top.. pasta was tesco best lasagne which is very good.

User211
28-03-2017, 17:46
Always an effort, Grant. Well done.

Loaf above is phenomenal. And soooo simple.

The best homebrew I ever made was pale malt, water, Goldings hops, Smiles brewery yeast.

I spent quite a few years being ultra serious about home brew.

Very high quality ingredients in the simplest recipes very often produce absolutely outstanding results. Just so long as you know what you are doing. And that can take a few years of messing around to really get it nailed.

Marco
28-03-2017, 18:04
Yum yum, Grant... Looks great! Enjoy :)

Marco.

Yomanze
29-03-2017, 16:16
Simple is best I'm finding. Last night I just knocked up a sauce containing:

Tin of chopped tomatoes + extra half tin of water
Good pinch of oregano
3x squashed garlic cloves
Good grind of pepper and a good pinch of sea salt
A marinated big piece of roasted red pepper out of the jar, finely chopped
Good glug of extra virgin olive oil

Threw it into a pan, covered for 15 minutes on a rolling simmer, then took the lid off, reduced it down and then hit it with a hand blender, and then stirred some pasta into it. Done.

I couldn't be arsed to sweat onions down, so got the extra depth from the roasted pepper. Worked well as a lazy but yummy and healthy dish. If I had any anchovies to hand I would have thrown one of those in too, you can't taste it, but you can taste the depth it adds.

walpurgis
29-03-2017, 16:22
Sounds nice Neil.

I'd bung a pinch of sugar, a small squeeze of fresh lemon and a small knob of butter in that. But that's just me. ;)

Yomanze
29-03-2017, 16:27
Sounds nice Neil.

I'd bung a pinch of sugar, a small squeeze of fresh lemon and a small knob of butter in that. But that's just me. ;)
Yep see where you're coming from there. Bit of richness and sheen from the butter, bit of cut through from the lemon, and a bit of extra depth from the sugar. :)

struth
10-04-2017, 11:59
Fish pie

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/dc2284d2a67036811c99eef547f77374.jpg

Recipe. Go to Sainsbury's. Buy a fish pie. Bung in oven and then scoff

User211
15-04-2017, 22:46
Wagamama Prawn Itame copy by me. Unflattering pic in pan but it is good.

Next time I will actually make some decent green curry paste as it is so much better than supermarket stuff.

Just dump on top of rice noodles. Ace.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170415/87158422ef994a9edabdac48568e15f7.jpg

User211
15-04-2017, 22:56
Melted Guryere on a hot dog on home made egg mayo on home made toasted bread.

Why did I make it? Just had the ingredients to hand not really preplanned.

Was it good? It was:D
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170415/7c6d2f8eba50226af1a01cf12c8db2fd.jpg

User211
15-04-2017, 23:14
Fish pie

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/dc2284d2a67036811c99eef547f77374.jpg

Recipe. Go to Sainsbury's. Buy a fish pie. Bung in oven and then scoff
Try a Charlie Bigham one Grant. Makes the thought of trying to beat it by DIY almost futile.

struth
15-04-2017, 23:32
Ive seen them but they are too expensive for my blood. That Sainsbury one was good for money

User211
15-04-2017, 23:57
Override that emotion once:D

struth
16-04-2017, 09:25
Override that emotion once:D

Next time im feeling flush. Anyway, first coffee for an age.

:eyebrows:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/cd286d760e76dd8da85a6c80336b6432.jpg

Recipe... get a ripe coffee frog. Squeeze and whallah lol

Marco
17-04-2017, 21:25
Coffee frog? :scratch:

Marco.

struth
17-04-2017, 21:28
sorry it was a reference to Blackadder week and the revolution.:eyebrows: Back off coffee again in a test. things are getting serious if coffee is off the menu :(

Arkless Electronics
17-04-2017, 21:46
Frog a la peche

struth
17-04-2017, 21:49
Frog a la peche

yeah and the Pêche à la Frog. stunning.

anyway, hoping to be up to making Celery soup tomorrow. I do like that green shit :D

Marco
17-04-2017, 21:53
sorry it was a reference to Blackadder week and the revolution.:eyebrows:

Ah, not a major Black Adder fan, so had no idea what you were referring to. Coffee looks good, though (as usual)! Look after yourself :)

Marco.

walpurgis
17-04-2017, 22:02
anyway, hoping to be up to making Celery soup tomorrow. I do like that green shit :D

Yuk. Hate strong tasting stuff like celery, cucumber, garlic, onions, coriander and leeks etc. :spew:

User211
17-04-2017, 22:54
Home made pita. Baked rather than pan fried. The later is better IMHO but only fractionally.

Easy to make just Google. Do it. Be surprised. Then think about the supermarket stuff and realise just how poor it is. By comparison, it is terrible. Really.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/d925234751e20e6cfd675edd56d82a7f.jpg

struth
17-04-2017, 22:55
Home made pita. Baked rather than pan fried. The later is better IMHO but only fractionally.

Easy to make just Google. Do it. Be surprised. Then think about the supermarket stuff and realise just how poor it is. By comparison, it is terrible. Really.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/d925234751e20e6cfd675edd56d82a7f.jpg

made those in past; your right they ar great and make an interesting pizza base too :D

User211
17-04-2017, 23:11
Now Teriyaki pork belly, goats butter, tomato and Dijon.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/5db8706896710d195f66064ff416c58d.jpg

User211
17-04-2017, 23:41
made those in past; your right they ar great and make an interesting pizza base too :D
Yup recipe is identical really.

Yomanze
21-04-2017, 11:37
Homemade chicken stock. I take the breasts off and hack the rest with a cleaver. Into a stock pot goes 5x peppercorns, 3x bay leaves, stick of celery, an onion and a red pepper, or use a carrot instead of the red pepper. Pour water until covered, not too much better to have a bit sticking out. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for at least 3hrs. Strain into a jug, leave to cool and put in the fridge - the fat will solidify at the top making it easy to skim off when needed, and create a seal until then. I used some for a risotto last week, and roast chicken breasts, chips and peas after...

User211
29-05-2017, 21:14
Been itching to try this for a while.

Ingredients 1.5L chicken stock, 4 medium King Edward's potatoes, two whole bulbs of 30 minutes roasted garlic at 200 Deg C, squeezed. Home made bread and the cheese you see.

Pretty good but you had better like garlic a lot. Any soup maker could make it given the above brief info. Boil the cubed potato for 15 mins then simmer for 15 minutes after you add the garlic and stock cubes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/d1c92856f7ce92c05d1aa7682b1f339a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/9da1a79e7473b7050305801e518bde78.jpg

Marco
29-05-2017, 21:22
Looks good, mate. Next time maybe try making some traditional French onion soup with those lovely looking cheesy 'croutons'... Think that would be a big hit! ;)

Marco.

User211
29-05-2017, 21:46
I do that too much. That was a change. French onion is better TBH. Makes you fart like crazy though.

Marco
29-05-2017, 21:59
Lol - aye, it's a veritable 'pumpathon'.... :D

Del makes it really rich (sweats the onions right down until they almost disintegrate, and uses really good red wine, beef stock and butter), so the soup comes nice and dark and unctious... Great during the winter, accompanied with a nice bottle of Amarone!

Marco.

User211
29-05-2017, 22:03
Can put all sorts in it Brandy etc but while it makes it different all onions and beef stock and not a lot else is just as good I find. Guryere is mandatory.

Marco
29-05-2017, 22:10
Yeah, it rocks! :cool:

Marco.

struth
12-06-2017, 18:03
had this ..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/39faad3cb2bd92d928c57743bea3e130.jpg

roo steak and potato gratin

not all of it obviously ;)

User211
12-06-2017, 22:27
Kangaroo? Really?

struth
13-06-2017, 00:57
Tasted very nice although it was chewy. Might be my cooking

User211
29-06-2017, 18:37
Shaped in rice flour for that white / brown effect.

Baked at 275 Deg C for 50 minutes for a a burnt and crunchy crust.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170629/13c8e25cf3e36501c66a9456ec0298af.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170629/6ca31274192c1647054ec11705bde683.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170629/5ca1af923aaacfa2a239d22141572ec5.jpg

User211
29-06-2017, 19:00
Nearly half of it gone already. Might not be a fantastic looker but hell is it good.

struth
29-06-2017, 19:04
was looking at that on my phone when lying down and couldnt decide if it was a baked tattie or bread... looks great

User211
29-06-2017, 22:04
I wasn't holding up much hope for the loaf given the ferment but my philosophy is to make sure every loaf comes out differently at the mo. That way you live with the excitement of variation at the cost of above and below average results.

This one is above average. And Grant it is just a white loaf.

struth
30-06-2017, 16:13
Yes looks good on pc Justin. tasty i bet.

Been so cold I'm back on the navy's best friend. Bovril

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170630/0d142b94ebebe473f92260d84f3b679e.jpg

struth
09-07-2017, 10:51
https://www.lidl.co.uk/catalog3media/uk/article/01104/gallery/overlay/lg/01104_20.jpg

awesome juice this from Lidl

User211
30-07-2017, 16:50
8 homemade sausage rolls on entry...

Made up recipe grureye cheese, pork mince, chorizo sausage, high quality bacon, smoked paprika, black pepper, fresh chives, guindillas, homemade bread breadcrumbs, salt, jus-roll puff pastry.

They had better be good.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170730/70c446891a845508727acf507fe03a12.jpg

struth
30-07-2017, 17:29
8 homemade sausage rolls on entry...

Made up recipe grureye cheese, pork mince, chorizo sausage, high quality bacon, smoked paprika, black pepper, fresh chives, guindillas, homemade bread breadcrumbs, salt, jus-roll puff pastry.

They had better be good

sound good.

User211
30-07-2017, 18:17
And out the other side now nice and cool. Trouble is got this 28 day old Porterhouse steak to eat first:)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170730/8fffc4503a393d149cfd8fb94c357810.jpg

User211
30-07-2017, 18:19
Mmmm...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170730/ade0fa4a9417ebd9e0e79c29ac976202.jpg

struth
30-07-2017, 18:23
looks unhealthy. stick with the sausage rolls;)

User211
30-07-2017, 18:35
Just had one couldn't resist. Lovely. Truly. Don't use sausage meat is key.

Marco
17-08-2017, 18:16
Mmmm...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170730/ade0fa4a9417ebd9e0e79c29ac976202.jpg

Did you cook it, or eat it raw? ;)

Marco.

User211
19-08-2017, 17:31
It found its way into another thread.

The best bit was chewing the meat off the bone. Fabulous taste.

Marco
20-08-2017, 11:45
How did you cook it - grilled, pan-fried, barbecued, griddled or what? With nice marbling like that, it should've been tender anyway :)

Marco.

User211
20-08-2017, 17:13
Pan fried with M&S cabbage medley.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/59521b7f4cf93c3e8e1bdf9f7d18d4a2.jpg

Marco
20-08-2017, 17:15
Ah I see... Looks nicely cooked (good caramelisation), although I suspect a little too well done for me. No spuds? ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
20-08-2017, 17:56
Nothing....yet. Can't seem to work up an appetite at the moment.

User211
21-08-2017, 10:31
Ah I see... Looks nicely cooked (good caramelisation), although I suspect a little too well done for me. No spuds? ;)

Marco.Done in super high temp cast iron pan. So I would say it was about medium even though it looks well cooked. I was aiming for burntness around the bone cos it tastes fab that way. I'd do a fillet medium rare.

No spuds half a ton of cabbage medley to deal with. That is lovely though.

Marco
21-08-2017, 10:43
I think you aim for the same things as I do, when cooking meat. That 'burntness around the bone thing' is vital, as that's where most of the flavour is! 'T'aint the same without it, no siree... Don't understand folks either who can't eat meat on the bone. They don't know what they're missing!!

That's why when cooking, for example a rack of lamb/cutlets, I don't go for the pinky-pink, very rare result on the inside, as is deemed 'correct' by chefs and gourmets. You can't get that lovely burnt/caramelised flavour on the fat that way.

The way I have it is still pink in the middle, but the burntness around the bone has been done to perfection, which for me is what's most important, often by searing the meat on either side in a pan, before barbecuing it, which is the way to best achieve the desired result.

Correct seasoning is also vitally important, as is the judicious use of herbs (and/or) spices, to maximise flavour. That, for me, is what it's all about, as I simply don't do bland tasting food! :nono:

Oh, and I'm sure the cabbage was lovely, but for me you need a little starch and a few more fresh veggies (I love my greens, so perhaps some fresh spinach or thin french beans), to complete the dish :)

Marco.

Yomanze
22-08-2017, 12:53
I have tried and cooked every steak going, from New York Strip to flambe Steak Diane, dry rubs, finishing with garlic butter and thyme, marination, you name it, but my favourite is liberal sea salt and coarse ground pepper, patted in, with a coating of extra virgin olive oil on the steak, into a dry smoking pan. KISS. :)

...always wrap your steak in foil and rest for 5 mins before eating, pouring the juices back over the steak when serving. Never ever cook a cold steak, needs to be at least room temperature, or you will not get a perfectly even 'pinkness' inside with a dark crusty outside.

struth
22-08-2017, 13:12
with fillet, i usually diane it. butterfly cut it, and flatten a bit. cook in a mix of butter, and oil with chives and Worcestershire sauce. then flambe it with brandy. cook time should be under 2 mins . lovely with any potato and veg mix

Yomanze
22-08-2017, 13:31
with fillet, i usually diane it. butterfly cut it, and flatten a bit. cook in a mix of butter, and oil with chives and Worcestershire sauce. then flambe it with brandy. cook time should be under 2 mins . lovely with any potato and veg mixStill sounds awesome, especially as you mention under 2 mins cooking time. ;)

...fillet should be medium rare maximum IMO.

User211
22-08-2017, 14:59
Still sounds awesome, especially as you mention under 2 mins cooking time. ;)

...fillet should be medium rare maximum IMO.Also keep it out of the fridge a long time before cooking coated in olive oil. Agreed sea salt and black pepper is what I usually do. Adding balsamic vinegar and reducing at the end of cooking can be a nice change every now and then.

I put a couple of ribeyes on a dying barbeque a while back and they cooked really slowing and came out going on rare to approaching medium. They took quite a bit of charcoal smoke during that time and they were freaking awesome. Which goes to show high heat isn't always what you need. Just making a point.

User211
21-09-2017, 19:05
Open fish sarnie.

I used haddock fried in chilli oil for 7 minutes. Pics show ingredients. Recipe by me.

You need to use quality ingredients for this to work. But it does work. Very well.

The bread is from Waitrose and toasted with the butter and mayo. Immensely important to use this exact bread. The Guindillas and Jalapenos were fried.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/94e8c906786f79262e936b50fb3cd2b0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/c2e93fc23f32aff555edce9845eedb3f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170921/a192cce9cb88277964b65d5c2a89b289.jpg

Barry
22-09-2017, 11:57
For a while now I have been amused, amazed and bewildered over the choice and price range of olive oil. I/we normally buy extra-virgin oil by Fillipo Berio, but recently because there was no decent alternative in our local Co-op, I bought some Tuscan extra-virgin olive oil ‘Toscano’. Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.

But I'm intrigued by the range and variety available, so am open to advice. We have several gastronomes here, so what do you like to use, what would you recommend?

Thanks
Barry

struth
22-09-2017, 12:02
Ive moved to Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. good for you and tastes nice too(slightly buttery). Also has a rediculously high smoke point. Get mine usually in Aldi

struth
22-09-2017, 12:10
Still use olive but not as much

This one from Lidl is good

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/e32104b9c7d2c9d96450beaec68ceca3.jpg

Barry
22-09-2017, 12:31

" ..... obtained from directly olives and solely by mechanical means"?

The first is somewhat tautological, and the second: do you mean the olives are not picked by the fair hands of 'extra virgins'? :lol:

Marco
22-09-2017, 12:32
That's rather aptly named for you, dahling! :D

Anyway, Bazza, fancy merging this discussion with the (already existing) food thread, here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?1645-Recipes-for-scrumptious-and-reasonably-healthy-food&p=900183#post900183

;)

Marco.

struth
22-09-2017, 12:35
Dunno, I guess it means its mechanically pressed olives; ie, big al carson sat on them :eyebrows: He's a big lad but a great singer.

Tastes good enough for my tastes. may not be top of the tree olives from italy but hey ho.

Spectral Morn
22-09-2017, 12:41
I usually cook with pure vegetable oil, but olive and avocado are supposed to be better for you, as my current supply is on the wane I might try Olive or Avocado.

Marco
23-09-2017, 11:58
Ok, first of all, it's not really healthy cooking continually with extra-virgin olive oil, as the good stuff is too rich and intense. Ordinary (non-extra virgin) olive oil, such as that from Filippo Berio, is best for 'everyday' cooking, although we tend to use rapeseed, which is healthier.

Good quality extra-virgin olive oil comes into its own when it's used 'raw', on top of salads or in a dressing, or even simply drizzled over crusty Italian bread, with some cracked pepper and rock salt, which is the original (and genuine) Bruscetta, before it became 'trendy' and was bastardised beyond all description, with all sorts of stuff added, taking it completely away from the 'peasant dish' it was originally!

So for good quality extra-virgin olive oil, at a reasonable price, particularly if you want to impart a 'nutty' flavour and richness to dishes, then I'd recommend Tesco's finest Sicilian:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/OoRjxf.jpg

£6.50.

Or if you want to push the boat out and sample (as close as possible) what extra-virgin olive oil is like, direct from a farm, and which tastes *absolutely sumptuous* on salads [in conjunction with a good quality red or white wine vinegar], then I'd recommend Alziari, which comes in cans and can be obtained from Waitrose:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/y8Ph4L.jpg

£15.50.

You don't need to use a lot, as it's quite intense in consistency (although mellow and fruity on the palette), so that somewhat offsets the cost. However, the difference here in flavour is substantial, in comparison with 'lesser' Ex-Vg olive oils, and it's mainly because of 'cold-pressing' production process.

Always remember though, that when using olive oil of this quality, and cooking Italian food in general, and applying the use of herbs or spices, that LESS IS MORE! ;)

Marco.

struth
24-09-2017, 10:43
finished reducing my chicken stock(sorry to vegies). Nothing quite like it...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/53da1ea0fc512342293c326a18949366.jpg

Strong and goes a long way

spendorman
24-09-2017, 13:38

I use this too, unless they have the 1 Litre bottles on offer.

Oddball
02-10-2017, 20:39
I like the rapeseed oil from Lidl, very tasty and the Walnut oil, esp good for browning chicken breasts before adding to curries /casseroles

struth
11-10-2017, 14:42
My special mince.

1 onion slices and cooked in mix of olive and avacado oil with Asafoetida and Mace.. Add mince, some beef stock, balsamic vinegar, best soy, oyster sauce and fish sauce. thicken with whatever's your fancy to taste.

gorgeous stuff and can be used as mince or added to a dish like pasta or whatever.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/10a33ed3584292eeed1725e976ffbcd8.jpg

Yomanze
19-10-2017, 17:08
After applying a salt and pepper rub to a roasting joint, I then coat in extra virgin olive oil. It helps a lovely crust to develop. I also put a glug of extra virgin olive oil into my drained parboiled roasties before shaking them up, but there is no substitute for having animal fat in the roasting pan, at oven temperature, before the roasties go in. Beef dripping, goose fat or lard, in that order of preference.

spendorman
19-10-2017, 17:26
My special mince.

1 onion slices and cooked in mix of olive and avacado oil with Asafoetida and Mace.. Add mince, some beef stock, balsamic vinegar, best soy, oyster sauce and fish sauce. thicken with whatever's your fancy to taste.

gorgeous stuff and can be used as mince or added to a dish like pasta or whatever.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171011/10a33ed3584292eeed1725e976ffbcd8.jpg

Seems a good idea, might try this over the weekend.

struth
30-11-2017, 14:52
picked up a box of sea asparagus or samphire today. 8p. so give it a quick blanch and tray freeze it then into bag or box. nice salty taste for many dishes, usually tossed in oil

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171130/a8a241836cb1f6e4d80e49e30835f8c1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171130/3ac0483c08c608fdb0f6dc72d57daf79.jpg

Yomanze
30-11-2017, 17:19
I like a bit of samphire, maybe with some sea bass and crushed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeandvan
26-01-2018, 00:18
After applying a salt and pepper rub to a roasting joint, I then coat in extra virgin olive oil. It helps a lovely crust to develop. I also put a glug of extra virgin olive oil into my drained parboiled roasties before shaking them up, but there is no substitute for having animal fat in the roasting pan, at oven temperature, before the roasties go in. Beef dripping, goose fat or lard, in that order of preference.

If there's space put the potatoes in the same tray as the roasting joint, after as you state coating in olive oil, so they soak up the meat flavours aswell, quite wonderful. In practice I noticed olive oil gives the best roast potatoes, better than goose fat. Something backed up by Heston bluementhal.

struth
26-03-2018, 15:15
this is a new one on me but its lovely tasting oil..

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/690/9417986935690/IDShot_540x540.jpg

walpurgis
26-03-2018, 15:29
Not seen that. I like a small drop of toasted sesame oil in a stir fry.

struth
26-03-2018, 15:35
Not seen that. I like a small drop of toasted sesame oil in a stir fry.

was looking for a small bottle of that myself but only had biggish bottles