PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: 06.03.2012: k d lang – Drag (1997) (CD)

MartinT
06-03-2012, 17:31
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vkhIw0SBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(k.d._lang_album)
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drag-K-D-Lang/dp/B000002NG2
Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/4GDJ3VWtSW7uZcZoEOPT44

Oh my god, another album from a female artist. Even worse, an album of covers! What is Martin thinking of, giving us this soft shite? Bear with me...

Let me offer several reasons why I think this is a great album, both musically and sonically. The general theme is one of smoking and addiction - real and imagined. Firstly, that voice. For me, she has the most perfect, liquid, soaring voice with a purity of tone only just this side of Karen Carpenter. When she hits a note and gives it her all, it can take your head clean off. If you ever wanted to know about the ability of your system’s midrange to go way above average levels without hitting headroom limits or cone end stops, this is one of the best tests I know. Trust me, at realistic levels some of your systems are just not going to cope. Sink into it and wonder how she sings with such perfection, power and seemingly carefree delivery.

Secondly, I really like the rearrangements of some well known and loved songs. The Air That I Breathe (The Hollies) and The Joker (Steve Miller) are stand-outs, but listen to what she does with Don’t Smoke in Bed, and hang on to your midrange cones.

Thirdly, the recording is outstanding and the CD mastering is also excellent. No whiff of a ‘remaster’ here, and none needed. This is how it’s done properly, and yet the album only reached number 19 in the UK charts and thereafter sank without trace. I know hardly anyone who has a copy. A mention, too, for the excellent band accompaniment. Try the growling bass in The Air That I Breathe at 1:25, for instance, and how it remains distinctive and tuneful despite its deep extension. Or the strange vocal effect at 2:43, which you could mistake for distortion. What about the bass line in The Joker?

Apart from all the technicalities, however, this album is for me an almost perfect performance of great songs with a voice to die for. My favourite k d lang album, and that's saying something.

Ok, that’s it from me. Over to you guys – listen, comment & vote!

Tim
06-03-2012, 17:36
Well I know you already know what I think of this album Martin, so I'll wait to see what others think before piping up ;)

:popcorn:

Bazil
06-03-2012, 18:58
Female artist , :(, album of covers :), quite looking forward to this and a cover of Hallelujah.

keiths
06-03-2012, 19:04
I don't know why, but I haven't got this. I thought I had all her albums from the '90s, but this one passed me by. Anyway, rectified now - I've just splashed out £1.75 at Amazon Marketplace, so will comment and vote in due course.

Welder
06-03-2012, 19:45
Fabulous voice; no pretty girlie winsome lass gently strumming a tune and batting her eyelids with this women!
She can belt em and softly sing the feathers off a bird.
The only problem I've ever had with Miss Lang is her choice of material.
I've got this and I don't need to play it to vote.

8/10 for this album but 10/10 for her voice.

MartinT
06-03-2012, 20:14
Well I know you already know what I think of this album Martin, so I'll wait to see what others think before piping up ;)

Don't take too long, Tim :)

Alex_UK
06-03-2012, 20:29
hmmmm.... apart from Ingenue, I don't have any kd lang... :eek: Best I get hold of a copy sharpish. :)

Welder
06-03-2012, 20:35
hmmmm.... apart from Ingenue, I don't have any kd lang... :eek: Best I get hold of a copy sharpish. :)

Dont bother Alex. You wont like her. She's not pretty, keeps her clothes on and prefers women to men. :D:D

Okay, okay, I'm going. :lol:

Alex_UK
06-03-2012, 20:41
Dont bother Alex. You wont like her. She's not pretty, keeps her clothes on and prefers women to men. :D:D

Okay, okay, I'm going. :lol:

:lol:

(Actually that sounds like my first wife... ;))

griffo104
07-03-2012, 10:38
I do enjoy it when an artists makes a good choice of covers and brings something personal to them. And that's what happens here.

Some excellent covers, great voice.

It gets an 8/10 for me, something to put on late at night and relax with a wee dram. I've got a few artists who have done similar types of albums which I do prefer (Nanci Griffith has done a a similar one and I do prefer her as an artist anyway) but this is up there with some of the better ones.

Very easy to make albums like this sound cheap and crass but this is done with a bit of class.

Alex_UK
07-03-2012, 12:27
Well I've given it a Spotify listen, and for someone currently giving up smoking and trying not to drink it is not the best antidote! :lol: However her superb voice and the recording certainly takes your mind off it, and the song choices are rather excellent. It has certainly made me want to explore her music more and I will get this asap so I can listen to it "full strength" and not just Spotify. I'll refrain from voting until then, and a listen or two more - but it will be a good score I'm sure. :)

DanJennings
07-03-2012, 18:10

Same here, but I'm intrigued by others comments so I'll give this a go tomorrow!

Bazil
12-03-2012, 17:59
Boy oh boy did I not like this, not going to rubbish it just not my thing.
The rating poll, is it how do I rate it as in production, quality etc or how do I rate it as in do I like it?
Anyway I voting on the latter 2/10 I'm afraid.

MartinT
12-03-2012, 18:01
It's how you like it, Barry. Fair enough, we can't like everything!

Bazil
12-03-2012, 18:19
Hi Martin, for some reason I just don't connect with female singers, I remember being forced to listen to Sade which I hated and I know she is massively popular.

Alex_UK
12-03-2012, 19:06
Hi Martin, for some reason I just don't connect with female singers, I remember being forced to listen to Sade which I hated and I know she is massively popular.

It is funny - I'm almost the complete opposite - I connect with far more female singer/songwriters than I do male...

I'm just giving this a proper spin on a fully-leaded copy right now. (cheers for the reminder!)

The Grand Wazoo
12-03-2012, 19:28
A 7 from me. I think a real live copy of the album rather than the Spotify version would mean me appreciating it more. On the evidence of this hearing, I'll not be actively seeking it out, but will probably buy it if I come face to face with it in a shop.
Lately, I've been listening a lot to her album of covers of songs about Canada 'Hymns Of The 49th Parallel' album, which I love to bits.

keiths
12-03-2012, 19:49
My copy from Amazon marketplace arrived today, so I'll listen and comment shortly.

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2012, 00:28
One thing I should have said above though, is that even on the Spotify rendition, you can get more than a hint of that fantastic voice.

griffo104
13-03-2012, 14:49
It is funny - I'm almost the complete opposite - I connect with far more female singer/songwriters than I do male...

In a lot of cases so do I. I think the female voice can be more emotive.

Of course it depends on the musical style but for stuff like this I always prefer the female vocals.

sparrow
13-03-2012, 15:20
I'm going to Glasgow tomorrow so will have a look for this. I just recently got into her music so hope some shop has it. If not I'll buy online.

Audioman
13-03-2012, 21:43
Bought a used CD copy to hear this properly. Not my usual listening fare but it is well recorded and brilliantly arranged and sung. All very good and outstanding in places. Gave it 8/10.

Tim
13-03-2012, 21:52
Well I think this is a fantastic album and it was the first k.d. lang album I bought, thanks to Martin :eyebrows: I now have 7 and was lucky enough to see her live last year too, which was amongst my top gigs of the year and I shall defiantly see her again if I get the chance.

This together with Ingénue and Hymns of the 48th Parallel are my favourite k.d. albums.

So thanks a bunch Martin and it gets an 8/10 from me too, I would give it 8.5 if I could, but it just misses a 9 :)

keiths
15-03-2012, 17:42
I don't know how I've missed this until now, but it's another great, great album from kathy dawn. 9/10.

Alex_UK
16-03-2012, 11:02
8/10 in the end - still makes me want to spark up though! :eyebrows:

sparrow
16-03-2012, 15:44
I'm going to Glasgow tomorrow so will have a look for this. I just recently got into her music so hope some shop has it. If not I'll buy online.

Couldn't find a copy..selection of her albums in HMV and Fopp was piss poor..Amazon beckons.:rolleyes:

Martinh
21-03-2012, 12:12
I love it, but would NEVER have bought something like this until I joined AOS, so thank you.

I like the style and her vocals are amazing. Sounds excellent, even on my modest system.

8/10 for this one.

Got my cd from amazon marketplace for £1.75 delivered.

My only criticism is the album cover - scary stuff.

Looking forward to discovering more new music

Cheers, Martin

Reid Malenfant
31-03-2012, 17:36
I might actually buy this if I see it at the right price :D What a voice!

Off to vote, 8/10 from me :)

Werner Berghofer
01-04-2012, 11:58
Martin,

thank you very much for this suggestion! I really was not aware what a brilliant singer K. D. Lang is. Unfortunately I could not find “Drag” anymore, but now “Recollection” (a kind of “Best of”), “Watershed” and “Sing it loud” are frequently played parts of my music library.

For me this thread often has been a valuable source for discovering new music.

Kind regards,

Werner.

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:26
Can't really get on with K. D. Lang. Sorry, only 6/10.