PDA

View Full Version : Croft pre-amp dilemma

Bluedroog
06-03-2012, 12:15
Hi Guys,

I've wanted to add the Croft Micro 25 to my system for quite a while and it's now approaching my birthday...only I'm on a budget. The Mrs says she doesn't mind putting money towards it for my birthday but only if I can afford to make up the rest now since she wants to give me something to unwrap on the day.

Do you think I should just wait and get it in a couple of months or get the Basic now? How much difference is there between them? And is there an upgrade service from the basic to regular spec and how much would this cost if so?

At the moment I am using my old Denon 3805 AV amp in pure direct mode as a pre in to my power amp (Quad 909) which obviously isn't ideal.

What do you guys think I should do?

Ashmore
06-03-2012, 13:38
Move your birthday back two months and buy the more expensive one. It's what you want.

Bluedroog
06-03-2012, 14:02
I think you're right, the Mrs just called anyway and I had the old 'but I really, really want that one' conversation.

I'll just be patient.

I'm just starting to panic as I've got a couple of big trips I need to make at the end of this year and after that I'll probably be doing the kids thing so am getting paranoid I won't be able to get round to upgrading to what I want all round till I retire!

Elephantears
06-03-2012, 14:26
And is there an upgrade service from the basic to regular spec and how much would this cost if so?

That's surely your key question. The upgrade from 25 to 25R to 25RS is modular, but I'm not sure about basic to standard 25. Just email Glenn, or Adrian at Audioflair, or Dave Radlett, and ask direct. If you can't upgrade from Basic then save up.

hifi_dave
06-03-2012, 15:52
Hi Guys,

I've wanted to add the Croft Micro 25 to my system for quite a while and it's now approaching my birthday...only I'm on a budget. The Mrs says she doesn't mind putting money towards it for my birthday but only if I can afford to make up the rest now since she wants to give me something to unwrap on the day.

Do you think I should just wait and get it in a couple of months or get the Basic now? How much difference is there between them? And is there an upgrade service from the basic to regular spec and how much would this cost if so?

At the moment I am using my old Denon 3805 AV amp in pure direct mode as a pre in to my power amp (Quad 909) which obviously isn't ideal.

You can't upgrade the Basic to Micro 25, they are two completely different pre's. You can change a Micro 25 to the R version through.

The difference between the Basic and Micro 25 is significant, as is the step up to the R.

Why don't you phone or PM me ?

DSJR
06-03-2012, 19:40
As Dave W says - and I HAVE compared all three preamps using my choice of power amps (not all Croft by any means) and with ny LS5/9's, not just ubiquitous Harbeths :lol:

Alex_UK
06-03-2012, 22:17
As the two Daves have said...

If your wife wants you to open something on your birthday get her to put the cash in a box with a Terrys Chocolate Orange and wait a couple of months to buy the better Croft... :eyebrows:

Bluedroog
06-03-2012, 22:26
I’m supposed to be maturing aren’t I? All this instant gratification the kids want these day...You’ve convince me to wait and I’m glad as I’m in this for the long game.

I had a wobble but I think you’ve all put me back on track; it’s what I needed to hear.

Alex_UK
06-03-2012, 22:29
I think it is the sensible choice Christian - excellent though the basic is, I reckon you'll always be thinking you should have gone for the 25... and now at Christmas you can have the wife wrap up a chocolate log and a wad of cash and upgrade the the 25 to R status! ;)

Ashmore
06-03-2012, 22:41
it’s what I needed to hear.

You can rely on us to help you justify your desires; we're just like you, see? :D

Bluedroog
07-03-2012, 08:45
Update: Happy birthday to me :lol:

Well it goes to show if you do bang on long enough some of it does go in. So I'll get the Micro 25 I really want next payday (thanks guys!) and some how the other half picked very well and had me a Omega headphone stand from Sieveking Sound in Zebrano to unwrap this morning so I'm very pleased.

Alex_UK
07-03-2012, 09:43
Fantastic - Happy Birthday Christian! :)

:birthday: :cool:

IHP
07-03-2012, 10:21
Happy Birthday Christian, less than 10 months to Christmas when you can get it upgraded to the 'R' spec. ;-)

The Black Adder
07-03-2012, 13:18
Hi Guys,

Differences is certainly a better wider soundstage, along with better gubbins you get much better volume pots too of which make it more precise.

I've just upgraded from the Basic to the 25 and it's definately worth it. Plus (as some have already said) you can upgrade the 25 whereas the Basic you can't.

Adrian and Dave a great guys to deal with, I did the deal with Adrian and he was superb! - Or, contact the man himself.

Hope that helps swing the Birthday pressie closer!

:)

Riislingen
08-03-2012, 14:34
Differences is certainly a better wider soundstage, along with better gubbins you get much better volume pots too of which make it more precise.

(Snipped)

:)

Hi Joe,

Curious about the volume pot portion. Is there a difference between the pots supplied in the Basic and the Micro 25 ? How so ?

Cheers

/Mikkel

The Black Adder
10-03-2012, 13:08
Hi Joe,

Curious about the volume pot portion. Is there a difference between the pots supplied in the Basic and the Micro 25 ? How so ?

Cheers

/Mikkel

Hi. They are better quality pots in the 25.

Cheers
Joe

Riislingen
10-03-2012, 18:27
Thanks Joe, wasn´t aware..