PDA

View Full Version : FS: Croft Troubadour - OTL, upgraded by Glenn

trane
06-03-2012, 07:56
Hi there,
My so much beloved Croft Troubadour amp finally got on sale after years of so faithful a service...
It's one of Glenn's exotica being an OTL design using 4x6AS7G power, and 2xECC83 and 1xECC81 driver/phase splitter, valves to great sonic joys with an effective 10W* output power. It was upgraded at some time by Glenn with those superb PIO Croft caps, the PSU was further elaborated, plus the circuit was also uprated - all info per the previous owner. Moreover, as I used it with a switch box to select between inputs, an excellent TKD pot was built in to cater for the attenuation duties on board.
* Please note that those sweet 10Ws do need a minimum of 88dB/8Ohm-sensitivity pair of speakers (e.g. Heybrook Quartets work wonders) to really enjoy the amp's potentials.
The Troubadour is in perfect state of health and comes supplied with recently replaced valves (~200 hours on them), the paint is okay on the metal parts with just some minor marks (that naturally come with age - just think of ourselves ;) ), and the wooden cherry face is practically untouched.
I honestly believe a lot of you know the Croft 'stable sound', and I must tell this beauty is no exception - rather, it's just one of Glenn's bests IMHO. Nevertheless, to provide some reference point of its true sonical magic, in this form it outperformed my AI S500 MkI (with those Hinchley transformers, yes) and the Croft GCi integrated also, pretty similar to today's 7 series amps...
The Troubadour is in Hungary, EU, hence shipping is not an issue.
The asking price is 650 GBP plus shipping (25 GBP, insured, via DPD).
For enquiries, please use my email address that is 'fsp at gmail dot hu' (please note the end is not .com), though you can leave a p.m. as well if preferred so.
Finally, for peace of mind I have a spotless reputation here, and at other hi-fi forums, as well - you're welcome to check.

Photos to follow

trane
07-03-2012, 09:23
those promised pictures - part 1

trane
07-03-2012, 09:25
part 2

trane
07-03-2012, 09:26
the last one - amp in action :)

The Black Adder
07-03-2012, 10:15
Wonderful amplifier.. What make of 6AS7G?.. Are they the Graphite plate ones?

trane
07-03-2012, 15:06
Wonderful amplifier.. What make of 6AS7G?.. Are they the Graphite plate ones?

hi, Joe, thanks for your compliment in the name of Glenn :)
of the valves, I am uncertain of the make of the power tubes apart from the facts that they are Russian military valves (6H13C=6N13S), and that on one of them there is a 'winged C' logo. having said that, all look to be perfectly identical, so it may only be the lettering that differs as they were bought from a quite reliable source and sold as a matched pair. though whether they are graphite plate ones or not I can't judge - please give a clue (can't the photos help, I wonder?)

trane
16-03-2012, 13:22
yeeepp, now it works :) - to see the updated photos in full please follow this link> http://www.flickr.com/photos/78018005@N07/

to add, there're 2 spare 6P13S Russian valves with low hours included in the price as well

trane
19-03-2012, 22:01
bump :)

trane
09-04-2012, 21:06
now sold :) - many thanks