PDA

View Full Version : Replacements for Celestion 25's

Lionheart
05-03-2012, 22:22
Any ideas on a replacement pair of speakers, I have a pair of Celestion 25's but I need a pair of a similar size (or a bit smaller) that I can bi-amp, what direction should I be looking at to upgrade (I prefer vintage stuff).

DSJR
05-03-2012, 22:38
Ditton 22/33/44?

Lionheart
05-03-2012, 23:06
Hello Dave......are the 22/33/44 models biwireable ?, if so I'll start looking about for a pair

Macca
05-03-2012, 23:10
Hello Dave......are the 22/33/44 models biwireable ?

Nope - that was back in the day - my 44 are pretty tough to even single wire as the terminals are tiny - had to use spade connectors. Anyway does it matter that you can't bi-wire?

Lionheart
05-03-2012, 23:18
Your bang on, I had to replace the terminals with Banana sockets as they don't really take more than bell wire. To my ears Bi-wiring doesn't make a jot of difference but Bi-Amping does and I want to try a couple of just serviced Quad 303's but I can't due to the Celestion's having only the one pair of inputs.

Macca
05-03-2012, 23:22
Then you will need to buy some speakers from a much later date - late eighties on really if you want 4 terminals on the back. If it was me I would just try it with one 303 and see how I liked it. Or have you done that already?

Lionheart
05-03-2012, 23:31
I have gone the single Quad route at the moment and it sounds a whole lot better than I imagined (after service), I have bi-amped the Quads long ago through a pair of Klipsch speakers and the pair sounded better than they did Singularly.

Macca
05-03-2012, 23:39
There is nothing I can think of that is both vintage and bi-wireable. Maybe someone else can come up with something pre 1980 that had that facility. 80s is practically vintage now anyway - 90's will be next :; Do you want to stay with Celestions?

Lionheart
05-03-2012, 23:49
The problem I have is I want to retain the 1960's sound that the Celestions have, I only listen to 1950's-early 70's vinyl (I don't have anything digital in the chain) and the stuff from that period sounds better on the Hi-Fi of the era.

Macca
06-03-2012, 00:02
You are talking my language John but IMO that sound is in the vinyl, not the replay equipment. I have Celestions form 1972 (Diton 44) and 1996(A2) - the A2 has a lot more power handling ability and headroom (which I need as my room is quite large) and much deeper but slightly looser bass than the 44, otherwise there is not a whole lot in it.

My suggestion, and it is only that, would be to look out for some Celestion A1 - quite large standmount -will give you the Celestion 'house sound' and you can bi-wire and bi-amp them. You wil need some stands though.

Lionheart
06-03-2012, 00:25
Nice one Martin.............I'll keep my eyes open for a pair on the usual sites. I also have quiet a large room but unfortunatly it's long and narrow which limits me to which speakers I can use, Klipsch RB31's are blinding but they aren't the sound I'm looking for, anything too small and they sound lost, even my Heybrooks HB1's sound a bit weedy, I would have brought a pair of vintage Quad's but they need to be at least 4ft from the rear wall, never mind I'll cast my eye over the A2's, Cheers, John

DSJR
06-03-2012, 08:59
My thoughts were for a more period sound, but better than the phasey Ditton 25's. If bi-wiring is really needed, then you'd have to break into the speakers and part the crossover at the bass to mid section.

The later DL8 or 10's may give you what you want - bigger sound than modern squeakers, subtle and refined tweeters and I remember the last genuine celestion "A" series being great as well.