PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hand Fuzzy condition

Rare Bird
05-03-2012, 08:32
I do notice that buyers of second hand Fuzzies don't seem to care about the sleeve condition or even EX condition vinyl will do! this would drive me nuts unless they were M/M condition i'm not playing..I couldnt live with poor condition covers my OCD would send me around the bend!

Anyone else?

Macca
05-03-2012, 09:39
As long as there is no damge on the record I can live with a tatty sleeve.

keiths
05-03-2012, 10:20
As long as there is no damge on the record I can live with a tatty sleeve.

Me too - as long as the price reflects this. Nowadays, most of my 'fuzzies' come from charity shops for 99p or less. One of the shops has had a big batch of albums where the vinyl has been Ex or better, but all the sleeves have been shredded on the edge (almost certainly a cat has used them as a scratching post :steam:)

I see you got your Lenco than André - did you keep the stock arm?

Rare Bird
05-03-2012, 10:37
I did Keith thanks, yes the stock arm..I'm gonna keep it all original tho, i'll just rewire the arm,new 'V' blocks & do the general servicing thing..

keiths
05-03-2012, 11:08
Nice one.

I've got a pair of 'Desmo' V-blocks that I used my L75 arm for a couple of days before I decided to go for the rega arm. They're made of a hard compound - "molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) loaded nylon" (looks like black plastic to me ;)),the same as these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldring-Lenco-GL72-GL75-GL78-V-Block-Up-grade-/150765932014?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231a598dee

You're welcome to them for nowt - PM me your address if you want 'em.

Rare Bird
05-03-2012, 11:49
Thanks Keith thats kind of you...

sparrow
05-03-2012, 13:00
Back in de 70's & 80's when buying new vinyl I used to be very fussy & paranoid about any flaws in my purchases...took quite a few records back because of little more than a few loud pops. These days I only moan if the record is jumping or sticking or like eggs frying. I can put up with ticks n' pops no problem.

Marco
06-03-2012, 10:08
I did Keith thanks, yes the stock arm..I'm gonna keep it all original tho, i'll just rewire the arm,new 'V' blocks & do the general servicing thing..

Has there been a thread about this, dude, and piccies? If not, please attend to this heinous crime immediately! ;)

Marco.

Rare Bird
06-03-2012, 12:33
I will, it's actually still in the box from wence it came at the mo..probs will be for a few weeks yet (still decorating)

Marco
06-03-2012, 12:36
Nae worries, brovva... Look forward to seeing the beastie in situ :)

Marco.

MartinT
06-03-2012, 17:52
I do care about the cover, but the record condition is much more important to me and for some recordings I'll ask for the stamper numbers, too.

The problem is that a 'mint' can have a single small scratch on it and drive me round the bend, while an 'ex' might only have dust and come out perfect after an RCM clean, so it's a bit of a lottery as to how the disc has been graded.

Many of my used purchases have been fine after a clean, some haven't. Overall, I'd say I've done well from buying used.

The Grand Wazoo
06-03-2012, 19:10
To me, mint should be the same as the stamp collecting definition - unused. So I never expect a record described as mint to be so unless it's specifically described as unplayed. This means that all of the other conventionally used grades exaggerate what I see as the true condition.

MartinT
06-03-2012, 19:35
Unless it's shrink-wrapped, how can a dealer claim a record to be mint, then?

keiths
06-03-2012, 19:40
They can't. When I sold lots of records on eBay a few years ago, my highest grade for anything was EX+ and I reserved that for totally unmarked records with no surface noise nor any clicks or pops. I frequently received feedback for records that I sold as VG thanking me for "the mint condition record". Frankly, I take pretty much all ebay sellers grading with a pinch of salt.

The Grand Wazoo
06-03-2012, 19:49
They usually can't. And it's not unheard of for used records to be shrink-wrapped too!
I've just learnt to lower my expectations - cynical or realistic, I don't know which, but sometimes a purchase from an individual proves to be truly mint - apart from that, it's incredibly rare.
All the grading systems grade as 'good' something that I'd call next to knackered, so when I buy something unseen, I do it according to my experience.
When I sell, people are often surprised at the quality of what they get because my own expectations are different - my 'good' grade is something that I truly believe is good, not:

Good (G), Good Plus (G+) Generally worth 10-15 percent of the Near Mint value. Good does not mean Bad! A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be put onto a turntable and will play through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise and scratches and visible groove wear (on a styrene record, the groove will be starting to turn white).

Record Collector's Guild (http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1)

Or:

The record has been played so much that the sound quality has been affected noticeably, perhaps with some distortion and clicks due to scratches.

More Music (http://www.moremusic.co.uk/links/uk_grade.htm)

MartinT
06-03-2012, 20:12
I do only buy so-called Mint or Ex condition records, never lower than that. I don't mind dirty records that clean up nicely but I do mind scuffs and scratches.

Rare Bird
06-03-2012, 23:54
Im i right in asuming the people that don't mind condition are the same who's CD are in a right state that like to finger them & generally don't care as long as they play!

This could lead to another topic: Record & CD care 'Do You Really Care?

Macca
07-03-2012, 00:00
Im i right in asuming the people that don't mind condition are the same who's CD are in a right state that like to finger them & generally don't care as long as they play!

This could lead to another topic: Record & CD care 'Do You Really Care?

If somebody's wankered the sleeve before I get to it that's hardly my fault ;)
All the 'fuzzies' I've ever bought from new are mint - sorry Excellent to good and a lot of them are inside hard plastic covers to protect the sleeve. Im not a total slob - being an old hippy I try not to be attached to personal possesions but when it comes to my records...CD is just disposable consumer fodder - If I feck one up I'll just get another copy.

Rare Bird
07-03-2012, 00:15
CD is just disposable consumer fodder - If I feck one up I'll just gat another copy

So is half the shit you buy today which means you basically don't look after anything :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
07-03-2012, 00:16
..... CD are in a right state that like to finger them & generally don't care as long as they play!

I reckon you could just be the only AoS'er who changes discs with the old white gloves, matey!

http://www.masonsregalia.com/acatalog/CR139.jpg

Rare Bird
07-03-2012, 00:20
Close i touch all my equipment with a pair those, no word of a lie.

Macca
07-03-2012, 00:23
So is half the shit you buy today which means you basically don't look after anything :lol:

Things are there to be used otherwise what is the point? I look after my records pretty carefully becasue they would be hard to replace. I won't lend out a record but anything else I am not bothered If I can replace it.

I never got that thing with the model train lot - buy two of everything so you can keep one in the box just to look at it occasonally. That#s the end of a slippery slope IMHO :lol:

Barry
07-03-2012, 00:52
I reckon you could just be the only AoS'er who changes discs with the old white gloves, matey!

http://www.masonsregalia.com/acatalog/CR139.jpg

But only if André is wearing the 'lodge apron'! :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
10-03-2012, 23:48
:)