PDA

View Full Version : Steeleye Span

tommy6206
03-03-2012, 18:46
I picked up 10 albums of their's today and not sure what to make of them.Were do they fit in are they a rock folk type group.Never heard them before but for a cost of £5 from the local charity shop plus a Eric Clapton LP and vinyl Case I'm not complaining they just needed a good clean.
The more I listen the more I like.

The Grand Wazoo
03-03-2012, 19:26
Folk rock would kind of sum it up I suppose. A kind of Fairport Convention 'lite' - Maddy Prior had one of those voices.
The only thing I know well by them is the album 'Now We Are Six' which is kind of ingrained in my DNA as it was one of the few records my family had with us when I was a kid for 2 years in Africa. No TV you see!
I love the track 'Thomas The Rhymer' and there's a great version of Phil Spector/The Teddy Bears - 'To Know Him is to Love Him' with David Bowie playing the sax!

Tim
03-03-2012, 19:26
Steeleye Span were very successful during the 70's and quite popular even amongst the prog rock fraternity. Not sure about now as their style was quite unique as you have noted. I think they will grow on you, Maddy Prior's voice can be captivating and their lyrical style was also something fresh at the time. Do take some time to listen/explore the lyrics.

Remember they were around in the Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention era when English folk music underwent a bit of a revival. They were great live too, I saw them in Peterborough once and Maddy got folk up on stage to dance, I jumped at the chance and did a few twirls with Maddy herself ..... fond memories :)

Enjoy . . . a bit of English folk/rock history and worth 5 quid of any music fans money I reckon.

Wakefield Turntables
04-03-2012, 09:34
I made the mistake of buying some steeleye span thinking it was steely dan :lol: MMMmmmm not really my cup of tea but not bad for a fiver I suppose.

DSJR
04-03-2012, 11:36
Steely Dan on LP should be on US VINYL ONLY as the UK pressings were terrible in comparison.....

Steeleye Span? Couldn't say I'd want loads of their LP's (I was very much around at the time), but I love "Rocket Cottage" which was a very late one from 1976...

"... You haven't an arm, you haven't a leg, and the enemy nearly slew you. You'll have to go out on the streets to beg, oh poor Johnnie what have they done too you you........."

farook
06-03-2012, 01:08
I love steeleye !
I have the albums below the salt and comoners crown,which in my opinion
Is one of their best ! Long Lankin is brill ,nearly all their lyrics
Are proper olde english poems put to music,so cool.,I envy you
Wish I had more of their albums !
Enjoy dude !!!!
"Are you a matalef?,be carefull what you say,were on board ship here "
Peter Sellers "new york girls" commoners crown.

Alex_UK
06-03-2012, 08:39
My mum and dad where very into medieval re-enactment when i was a kid - I still know all the words to "Gaudete" and "All Around My Hat" which my dad would sing around the "sheep roast" whilst I sneaked off to ply my sister with mead... Fun times!

tommy6206
06-03-2012, 11:30
Thanks for the info lads.These are the ones I picked up
Below the salt
now we are six
please see the king
Individually and collectively
rocket cottage
commoners crown
hark the village wait
All around my hat
parcel of rogues
storm force ten
Listened to most of them but a couple to go.Some better than others but on the whole not bad.