PDA

View Full Version : System update - Croft 7R and Nick Gorham crossovers

The Black Adder
03-03-2012, 16:52
Hello all.

A few changes have been afoot recently in my system. The main differences have been made in amplification and crossovers. Firstly the crossovers made by Nick Gorham. These babies have really made my 12" Monitor Golds really come alive. With my previous amplification (Croft Quad II monoblocks) they showed just exactly what these speakers could produce.

When Marco visited me and took a listen with the previous system he mentioned that the speakers have the potential to really shift some air. The emphisis on amplification and crossovers were the obvious things to change first so I had a chat with Nick and he agreed to make some for me.

With some tweaks we got the crossovers working amazingly well indeed with no more of that over emphasised Tannoy Honk.

The Crofted Quad II amplifiers are very, very good indeed but now we have two little un's I felt I had to move them on, they had a lot of exposed valves to which I personally love but in the end they had to go.

Because I was so impressed with the Basic pre-amplifier and what Glenn did the Quads I traded both in for the 25 pre and a rather special 7R power amplifier. Special because instead of pushing 55wpc this one pushes 30wpc lowering the impedance to suit my Tannoys.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/Tannoy%20Crossovers%20New/DSC05689.jpg

Amplification:

The Quads have a full on Valve sound, GEC KT88's along with other NOS GEC's the sound was a very nice modern sound with nothing much bearing on the original stock versions which to me sounded nice but lacked in speed. Not overlay a bad thing as lots of people like them. The crofted Quads are powerful, balanced yet smooth.

The 7R has more gruff, more poke but still keeps things smooth, faster and very powerful.

So the 7R pushes 30wpc and the Quads just over 20wpc. What gives I hear you ask? Well, Adrian at Audio Flair offered me the special lower powered version and so at first I was a little apprehensive about this because I wanted a Jeremy Clarkson moment (POWER). So thinking this is what I wanted Glenn assured me it wasn't... not with Tannoys.

Adrian then assured me further that this amp will certainly move some air. So the order went in to Adrian of which he was fantastic, everything went so smoothly and a great guy to deal with. With this a trade in of my Basic pre to a 25 was also done.

Further upgrades to the 7R were also made including upgraded resistors, valves, sockets and an upgraded output stage.

The Sound:

So with the new Crossovers and amplification how does it sound? Well, it's different... a lot different and much more to my new taste... which is nice.

The sound is all encompassing. Fulsome, powerful with a sound-stage to die for, deep and wide. Love it. From the first needle drop I just knew something was different… very different. That lovely thump was a very nice…Thump!

The bass actually shakes my pictures on the wall and it's so realistic. Playing a track I'd not heard before I thought their was someone on our drive revving a Ferrari or something and at the same time someone tapping on the window. I had to flick the bloody mute switch to make sure Jeremy Clarkson wasn't trying to tell me to turn it down. lol

The 7R is still burning in and is improving all of the time.

I can't praise Adrian at Audio Flair enough for helping me out, great chap and of course Nick, cheers fella.

Happiness:

... is a wonderful thing! :)

The 7R (With extras)
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/DSC05757.jpg

New view of my system
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/musical_submarine/DSC05866.jpg

IHP
03-03-2012, 18:20
Nice one Joe, I would love, just love to have room for some big Tannoys. The 7R did a very nice job of driving my harbs, lovely amp that.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 18:29
I'd love to hear your system in action, I'm intuiged by how much works gone into it.

Joe, your preamp, do people go mad for it because of how good it sounds, or how good it doesn't sound, if you get what I'm saying?

The Black Adder
03-03-2012, 18:36
Cheers guys.

Hi Ian, I too love Harbies and if I ever had to sell the Tannoys I would get some more SHL5's.

Hi Martin. Cheers fella. I guess it would be a bit of both.

I get what you mean for sure. Firstly it sounds bloody good, and then it sounds bloody good again because of the natural way it sounds very transparent. Did that make sense?... it did to me but then I'm me and not you, did that make sense?.... lol

realysm42
03-03-2012, 18:39
I think so, I've never heard a system with a pre-amp in it, so it's hard to compare to what I know (although I think my amp has a pseudo pre-amp solution built into it).

Is the theory that as you turn it up, it doesn't tarnish/colour the signal?

The Black Adder
03-03-2012, 18:55
Yep.. the sound doesn't degrade no matter what volume you have set.

realysm42
03-03-2012, 19:03
Have you considered using something more than the stock feet for your crossovers?

Jonboy
03-03-2012, 19:23
Great stuff Joe looking good and safe for little fingers :)

Tim
03-03-2012, 19:56
Nice one Joe (as always ;)).

I love reading your posts as more often than not you have some luuurvely pictures to drool over :drool:

Rare Bird
03-03-2012, 20:35
Hi Joe
That TD124 look loverly i might add. :thumbsup:

chris@panteg
04-03-2012, 06:54
Lovely system

Love that reel to reel , wife loves it to ' thing of beauty '
TD124 is rather nice too.

jon1
04-03-2012, 08:30
Nice joe;) Are you sticking with this setup or is this more upgrades in the pipe line?.:).

jon

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 09:56
Thanks guys, very nice of you to say.

The RT-909 is a minter but been using it as much as I would like.

The TD124 is also a minter and sounds lovely. As for upgrades well, I'm torn between an upgrade on the mains or some new speaker cable/IC's. Not sure what the best next step is but I'm sure it's mains.

I'm sticking with this setup as it's safe as houses as Jon said.

jon1
04-03-2012, 10:10
Thanks guys, very nice of you to say.

The RT-909 is a minter but been using it as much as I would like.

The TD124 is also a minter and sounds lovely. As for upgrades well, I'm torn between an upgrade on the mains or some new speaker cable/Is. Not sure what the best next step is but I'm sure it's mains.

I'm sticking with this setup as it's safe as houses as Jon said.

Joe... can you to try some of the 510s IC's from mark?If you can highly recommended;)..He mite have a pair lying a bout:D

jon

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 10:45
ooh Aye lad... they would be nice but I feel budget wise it may be a step too far.

jon1
04-03-2012, 10:51
ooh Aye lad... they would be nice but I feel budget wise it may be a step too far.

Yes joe:eyebrows:..but if you where offered a pair to try...TAKE THEM:D

jon

The Black Adder
04-03-2012, 11:06
lol... I think that would be a good idea but then I would want them and so would start the torment!... Voices n that.

Ali Tait
04-03-2012, 11:41
Give these a go Joe. 30 day money back so you've nowt to lose except the postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AG-AUDIO-99-99-SILVER-FOIL-RCA-INTERCONNECT-CABLES-1M-/180815466131?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a19710e93

ursus262
19-03-2012, 12:37
Give these a go Joe. 30 day money back so you've nowt to lose except the postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AG-AUDIO-99-99-SILVER-FOIL-RCA-INTERCONNECT-CABLES-1M-/180815466131?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a19710e93

But are they any good? The claims seem incredible to me.

Ali Tait
19-03-2012, 13:18
Well they are certainly the best i/c's I've tried so far.

ursus262
19-03-2012, 13:27
Ah. Do tell... are they transparent, and do they have a tonal quality to them at all?

Marco
19-03-2012, 20:00
Ah. Do tell... are they transparent, and do they have a tonal quality to them at all?

Wossat mean? :scratch:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
19-03-2012, 20:13

Well they are certainly the best i/c's I've tried so far.
Are you using the single ended or balanced cables Ali?

Seen these advertised on ebay so many times, I just don't like the idea of a non screened cable :scratch: While a balanced interconnect will still give pretty good common mode rejection ratio due to the CMRR of the balanced equipment, I can't see how a single ended cable could.

You know I'm just thinking of city life with shed loads of mobile phones, taxis, the local radio station (heroin FM :eyebrows: Might as well be), another 60,000 houses with fridges & freezers switching there compressors on & off...

I think you get the picture :cool:

ursus262
19-03-2012, 20:19

Marco.

Well, what I am trying to establish is this: what do they sound like? :D

ursus262
19-03-2012, 20:24

Marco.

Oh! Penny has just dropped! :lol:

Ignore me guys...I can be such an old trollop sometimes :lol:

Ali Tait
19-03-2012, 20:28
Are you using the single ended or balanced cables Ali?

Seen these advertised on ebay so many times, I just don't like the idea of a non screened cable :scratch: While a balanced interconnect will still give pretty good common mode rejection ratio due to the CMRR of the balanced equipment, I can't see how a single ended cable could.

You know I'm just thinking of city life with shed loads of mobile phones, taxis, the local radio station (heroin FM :eyebrows: Might as well be), another 60,000 houses with fridges & freezers switching there compressors on & off...

I think you get the picture :cool:

Single ended mate. No problems with noise as far as I can detect,

Jonboy
19-03-2012, 20:33

I have had a pair for a couple of years now the guy who makes them lives very near to me and brought his whole range around to try, they can makes things sound a bit "Bright" to my ears but that is a silver thing me thinks and i'm not the biggest fan a bit like Marmite :D

Reid Malenfant
19-03-2012, 20:34
Single ended mate. No problems with noise as far as I can detect,
So that'd put the balanced cables at about 60Db better.... Hmmm :eyebrows:

ursus262
19-03-2012, 21:14
Mark

I think you ought to give these cables a go and report back ;)

Reid Malenfant
19-03-2012, 21:20
:lol: I'd love to, but have you seen my setup pictures before I went & deleted them all like a fool :rolleyes: :doh:

Not exactly the easiest to change cables on I assure you :eek: