PDA

View Full Version : A better internet TV wireless dongle

StanleyB
03-03-2012, 09:52
One issue that worried me from the start with internet access on my WIFI enabled TV was the requirement to buy a dedicated USB wireless dongle. I helped in the design of USB dongles for Trendnet and knew that USB wireless was far slower than wired RJ45. However I had devised a way to bypass a wireless USB dongle by converting it to a wireless RJ45 dongle. And fortunately my recently acquired Sony had no problem with recognizing and accepting my far better, cheaper, and most importantly, a faster internet connection method.

For those of you who wish to emulate my cheaper and better alternative wireless dongle, here is what you do:

1. Get a wireless repeater with a RJ45 socket on it. I got one of THESE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-N-Wifi-Repeater-802-11N-Network-Router-Range-Expander-300M-US-Plug-/370567659956?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item56478dc1b4).
2. Set the repeater up as per the manufacturer's instruction so that it acts as a repeater between your router that is connected to the internet, and any PC in your home. That bit is important since you are going to swap the PC for the TV after setting up the repeater.
3. Plug the wireless repeater in a mains socket as close as possible to the TV.
4. Get a suitable length of RJ45 cable that will reach from the RJ45 socket on your TV to the RJ45 socket on the repeater. It is important that TV and the repeater are switched off when you make this connection otherwise you won't get a valid IP address from the router.
5. After you have wired up the TV and repeater, switch the repeater on first and then the TV.
6. Go into the TV internet connection menu and set it for auto setup. This will allocate a suitable IP address to the TV, and will be recognized as a wired RJ45 connection by the TV.

And now you got a far faster and cheaper wireless internet TV than you otherwise would have had with the manufacturer's own USB wireless dongle :). To give you an idea of how much better my solution is: I haven't yet encountered any buffering delays in the iPlayer video stream on the TV, whilst I can't say the same for the same video stream on my laptop sitting just a few feet away.

My next step is to try to send videos from my laptop to the TV via my wireless set up. If anyone has any handy tips on that, I suggest adding it to this thread so that we have a complete internet TV solution all in one place.

Rare Bird
03-03-2012, 20:13
Thanks Stan we bought a Sony internet TV for the spare room after crimbo but it's still boxed up waiting for the spare room to be finished, i'll have a look into this when i get it out..

Tim
03-03-2012, 20:16
How's that room coming on André?

Rare Bird
03-03-2012, 20:29
2 weeks i recon. :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
03-03-2012, 21:16
Hi Andre

What Sony model did you get ?

Been looking at a few of late .

Rare Bird
03-03-2012, 21:20
Hi Chris
It's only a small room 26'' (Sony KDL-26EX320) is was big enough, I'll et the 40'' version a bit later on for the main living room.

StanleyB
04-03-2012, 07:42
It's only a small room 26'' (Sony KDL-26EX320)
Good set. I considered that one but was offered the 32EX723 at a good price so I jumped at the offer.
When you set the TV up, select OPTIONS -> PICTURE -> PICTURE SETUP -> VIVID.
That will give you a far better picture quality than the STANDARD option.

shane
04-03-2012, 09:36
I came upon this problem with my Sony KDL32-EX403, as my router is upstairs, and I didn't want to give Sony £80 for something that should have been included anyway. Then I remembered that my Squeezebox, which sits on a shelf above the telly, can act as a wireless bridge. Set up the bridge on the Sqeezebox, plug the telly into the SB's ethernet port, job done!

icehockeyboy
16-04-2012, 20:58
I came upon this problem with my Sony KDL32-EX403, as my router is upstairs, and I didn't want to give Sony £80 for something that should have been included anyway. Then I remembered that my Squeezebox, which sits on a shelf above the telly, can act as a wireless bridge. Set up the bridge on the Sqeezebox, plug the telly into the SB's ethernet port, job done!

More details here please! :)

Stratmangler
16-04-2012, 22:21
More details here please! :)

T'aint supported on the Touch :(

northwest
17-07-2012, 20:36
I can confirm that this works great! Bought exactly the unit Stan suggested (more because it plugs right into the extension behind the Audio stuff than any other reason - apart from the fact Stan said it would work) Followed the simple instructions and Hey Presto! Going to get a couple more for the IP Phones now.