PDA

View Full Version : Myths And Misconceptions About CD Players And DACs

jostber
28-02-2012, 09:32
As discussing digital sound often brings much enthusiastic response and different opinions, I invite to give your feedback on the views in this article: :)

Myths And Misconceptions About CD Players And DACs - Article By Liudas Motekaitis:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/manufacture/1104/index.html

bobbasrah
28-02-2012, 10:04
Nothing new, but a nice enough simplification Jostein.....
Digital audio playback is grossly misunderstood... So what will be first? CD is not file based audio, flac v wav, PSU noise, cable length, cable v optical v usb, async issues, .......

sq225917
28-02-2012, 12:07
Yeh, apparently he's found a hundred euro cd player than has no signal noise at all on it's digital output, no RFI, just jitter, no images, no out of band noise, nothing. It's the perfect transport for a reclocking dac then.... lol

jostber
28-02-2012, 13:26
Nothing new, but a nice enough simplification Jostein.....
Digital audio playback is grossly misunderstood... So what will be first? CD is not file based audio, flac v wav, PSU noise, cable length, cable v optical v usb, async issues, .......

If digital music is grossly misunderstood, I bet there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about it. :)

bobbasrah
28-02-2012, 16:52
If digital music is grossly misunderstood, I bet there are a lot of myths and misconceptions about it. :)

Misconceptions and preconceptions abound, with some strange claims and issues arising from some surprising quarters. :mental:
A CDP is so much easier to relate to as piece of musical equipment, but mention computer and it rapidly descends into silliness and entrenchment.:doh:

StanleyB
28-02-2012, 17:00
A CDP is so much easier to relate to as piece of musical equipment, but mention computer and it rapidly descends into silliness and entrenchment.:doh:
Of which you are the largest exponent of the art :lol:. Worse still, you refuse to accept any other possibility than your own entrenched believes. Those who disagree are deemed :mental:. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it :ner:.

bobbasrah
28-02-2012, 19:43
Of which you are the largest exponent of the art :lol:. Worse still, you refuse to accept any other possibility than your own entrenched believes. Those who disagree are deemed :mental:. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it :ner:.

Not quite sure what you are trying to contribute Stan?
I said "A CDP is so much easier to relate to as piece of musical equipment, but mention computer and it rapidly descends into silliness and entrenchment"
Is that incorrect?:scratch:

daveyboy
05-03-2012, 22:16

Terse, trite comments, hmm I thought we were meant to be above that here? obviously not.

roob
06-03-2012, 11:07
Pot/kettle/black?

montesquieu
09-03-2012, 02:19
Oldest trick in the book. Invent a disease. (Or at least, take a known problem and provide a convenient explanation for it). Then provide a cure based on that explanation.

Isn't that what Lessloss is flogging?

There may be some truth in it but the path to audio Nirvana is littered with people pronouncing they have the One True Way.