PDA

View Full Version : Optical Cable Recommendations

Bazil
25-02-2012, 18:27
Sony CDP > Cambridge Audio DACmagic II.
I would have got one from Mark Grant but he's out of stock.

jon1
25-02-2012, 18:57
I would have got one from Mark Grant but he's out of stock.

Can you wait till he gets them back in stock?

jon

Bazil
25-02-2012, 19:01
Can you wait till he gets them back in stock?

jon

Of course if its worth it :)

jon1
25-02-2012, 20:26
Of course if its worth it :)

I think the glass core are the best which he supplies;)

jon

dave2010
27-02-2012, 14:55
I would have got one from Mark Grant but he's out of stock.I still maintain that some of the cheap ones from Amazon are good enough - for example - http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-0m-Optical-TOSlink-Cable-Professional/dp/B0031WZCUC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330354184&sr=1-2 There can be some problems with some of the cables falling out of the sockets. Others who are more fussy about this than I am say we should all be using coax in any case. I have both.

Again, I think you might find that something like this does work - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-Install/dp/B000WTK2FC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330354319&sr=8-2

You can take a punt on these and it won't cost you a lot even if you do eventually decide to see if you can hear a difference with something more expensive. I'm prepared to believe that there are some bad cables, but my guess is that you won't be able to distinguish between these given the short lengths.

The situation could be different if you tried to run for 10 or 20 metres though, although I believe I can also do that if necessary with my cables.

StanleyB
27-02-2012, 15:01
If it is only 1 meter that you require then I challenge you to find a better TOSLINK lead than mine for under £50 :). See my website.

Darren
27-02-2012, 17:08
The XO ultra optical on Amazon is £6.99 and the best sounding TOS I've heard.

Bazil
27-02-2012, 17:41
If it is only 1 meter that you require then I challenge you to find a better TOSLINK lead than mine for under £50 :). See my website.

Any discount for members :D

ursus262
27-02-2012, 18:07
I use these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-TOSlink-Digital-LightWave-Precision/dp/B0038K68ZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330365955&sr=1-1

To be honest, in the digital domain, as long as the cable is decently constructed, I wouldn't spend much more than this in my opinion.

goraman
04-03-2012, 18:14
I would only use glass as the polly plastic core ones turn yellow and loose clarity in a couple of years.
Here is where I got mine before I knew Mark Grant carried them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3-ft-GLASS-TOSLINK-DIGITAL-OPTICAL-CABLE-Premium-/390377015521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae44888e1#ht_1673wt_1139

I have used the polished plastic ones SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET GLASS.
Or replace the plastic one every year or two.

DSJR
04-03-2012, 22:24

Stan, I was going to order one a few months ago, but the P&P was a heck of a lot I recall

clap
04-03-2012, 23:04
Stan, I was going to order one a few months ago, but the P&P was a heck of a lot I recall

I've got one of these and can confirm it is brilliant. My purchase followed a recommendation from someone on a forum. Well worth the postage.

icehockeyboy
06-03-2012, 15:51
Why do you have to have toslink? I believe, having compared an old tosser (did I say that properly? )to a coax, the coax was a bit better.

goraman
06-03-2012, 18:32
Why do you have to have toslink? I believe, having compared an old tosser (did I say that properly? )to a coax, the coax was a bit better.

It can be but a Tolsink can do every bit as good a job at sending 00101010101011010101011111000101010001010101010001 0100101010
It is not an analog cable and what ever gots the numerical stream there is good enough provided it dose not introduce enough jitter to corrupt the pathway.

So if an optical dose it for you and your doing long runs or worried about RFI it's all good .If you want to spend big bucks to do the same job you can get an all silver Teflon digital coaxial cable for $1,000 dollars and the result will be the same but you'll have bragging rights and it will stimulate the economy.

DSJR
06-03-2012, 19:34
The main issue in not using coax is the transmission (in the case of some computer sources) of ultrasonic and rf muck down the signal screens and possible undesirable voltages in the event of a fault into the DAC. Safer for the DAC to use a non-electrical connection which avoids these things (one once highly regarded CD player had an internal optical interface between mech and DAC to improve electrical isolation I remember)

Some optical interconnects look a lot posher than others and cost loads more, but offer no improvement in basic function, so you pays your money and takes your choice...

nat8808
31-05-2012, 13:13
It can be but a Tolsink can do every bit as good a job at sending 00101010101011010101011111000101010001010101010001 0100101010
It is not an analog cable and what ever gots the numerical stream there is good enough provided it dose not introduce enough jitter to corrupt the pathway.

So if an optical dose it for you and your doing long runs or worried about RFI it's all good .If you want to spend big bucks to do the same job you can get an all silver Teflon digital coaxial cable for $1,000 dollars and the result will be the same but you'll have bragging rights and it will stimulate the economy.

I thought that the problem was with Toslink itself - the Toshiba bandwidth spec for TX and RX units isn't much higher than the frequency of the S/Pdif signal itself. Therefore the leading edge of the sharp-edged square wave that the receiver chip is looking for is turned into a slow rising sine wave. Therefore jitter can be induced as the receiver doesn't latch on uniformly to each part of the signal.

That's why fancy AT&T ST optical was used (standard in optical networking and hence should be cheap now..) - much higher bandwidth and so a closer approximation to square wave. And coax is fine too.

Now, whether you hear the difference is another matter...

As an aside to audio optical v industrial optical, I sware that the few AT&T fancy optical hifi cables I've ever seen have been identical to £5 ST to ST networking patch leads... even down to orange outer sleeving .

nat8808
31-05-2012, 13:15
The main issue in not using coax is the transmission (in the case of some computer sources) of ultrasonic and rf muck down the signal screens and possible undesirable voltages in the event of a fault into the DAC. Safer for the DAC to use a non-electrical connection which avoids these things (one once highly regarded CD player had an internal optical interface between mech and DAC to improve electrical isolation I remember)

Some optical interconnects look a lot posher than others and cost loads more, but offer no improvement in basic function, so you pays your money and takes your choice...

Can't beat a Toslink cable with gold plated connections :rfl:

Marco
01-06-2012, 13:37

I've always wanted to test that theory, but have never owned the right equipment, which has featured both optical and coxial connections at both ends, I.E. that of my CDP/transport and DAC.

Has anyone ever carried out a proper, in-depth, comparison and arrived at a firm conclusion, as to which was perceived as being best? 'High-end' gear usually favours coaxial, over optical, but I'm not so sure that it's such a forgone conclusion.

Marco.

clap
02-06-2012, 21:03
My new oyaide / wbt coaxial sounds better that the Beresford optical. The Beresford optical is very good and the Oyaide was a lot more expensive.

wee tam
02-06-2012, 22:01
would of course like an explanation why plastic toslink turns yellow , unless you smoke 50 an hour and unplug them to get the full yellow effect ,whichever colour is used to extrude "plastic" it can only change colour exposed to the "elements" so if plugged in it really ought not to change colour , so poundland price should be obvious per item , if you are obsessed with deterioration , £50 = 50 years @ changing every year , glass of course a diiferent option , but if you plug , leave n play , why bother ?

DSJR
03-06-2012, 09:44
Can't beat a Toslink cable with gold plated connections :rfl:

I used to hawk one of those around - looked fancy though :)

CPC have a great range of various wires which end up on ebay for over twice the price plus P&P. I haven't a cluse how good the fibre inside is in practice, but the prices are very reasonable for a chunky well wrapped one (helps against breakage)

YNWaN
03-06-2012, 09:47
Whenever I have compared optical to coax I have always preferred the coax option.

johncaul
28-06-2012, 08:14
i've just seen this thread. Like Marco, I too would be very interested if anyone has compared toslink to coax in a real world blind test. I'm currently trying to work out the best way to connect my DAC to a PC sound source. It seems there's a consensus that on paper coax is better, BUT i've noticed that using coax also introduces a very small amount of ground hum. It's inaudible at normal listeing levels- but it's a niggle because I know it's there! So i may be in the market for one of Mr Beresford's toslink cables. Before i take the plunge though i'd be really interested in hearing from others with PC/ DAC setups, or even from Stan himself given he sells both coax and toslink cable's and is an expert in DAC design. Cheers all and happy thursday! John

bobbasrah
28-06-2012, 12:08
i've just seen this thread. Like Marco, I too would be very interested if anyone has compared toslink to coax in a real world blind test. I'm currently trying to work out the best way to connect my DAC to a PC sound source. It seems there's a consensus that on paper coax is better, BUT i've noticed that using coax also introduces a very small amount of ground hum. It's inaudible at normal listeing levels- but it's a niggle because I know it's there! So i may be in the market for one of Mr Beresford's toslink cables. Before i take the plunge though i'd be really interested in hearing from others with PC/ DAC setups, or even from Stan himself given he sells both coax and toslink cable's and is an expert in DAC design. Cheers all and happy thursday! John

The assumption that the conduit necessarily dictates the better quality of transfer rather than the receivers at BOTH ends of the conduit, is questionable unless precisely the same setup is used by the reviewer and the reader.

Some motherboards seem to perform better one way than another, and even one model may have differences.:mental:
In my own case the mobo optical is not so good as a separate usb to optical converter, and this is in turn bettered by coaxial out from the same converter FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND CABLES USED.:eyebrows:
When a DAC was fed with the optical and coax from the converter with analogue out to the amp, the same result, but the DAC was showing a slight improvement on the DAC in the receiver in both instances.

Trialling both in your own setup is the only sure way I am afraid.:rolleyes: There are more than only 2 variables.

As to the hum, try moving cables around or switching/re-terminating the coax cable.;)

johncaul
28-06-2012, 13:38
excellent, thanks for the detailed response bobbasrah. As in all things in life it seems there are no easy answers! :lol: Have you tried different sound cards? I have always assumed that given there is no conversion of the digital stream until it hits the DAC that an internal SC would do. Now i'm not so sure- particualrly given the hum- maybe a new SC would help solve it? Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll try a couple of side by side comparisons and report back:eyebrows:

Cheers all.

bobbasrah
28-06-2012, 17:23
excellent, thanks for the detailed response bobbasrah. As in all things in life it seems there are no easy answers! :lol: Have you tried different sound cards? I have always assumed that given there is no conversion of the digital stream until it hits the DAC that an internal SC would do. Now i'm not so sure- particualrly given the hum- maybe a new SC would help solve it? Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll try a couple of side by side comparisons and report back:eyebrows:

Cheers all.

No worries John, or should I use the johncaul handle.....:scratch: We all have to learn...:rolleyes:
I suggest you do a bit of googling to understand the concepts a little more clearly and http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/ might help you on this journey.;)

A Soundcard is a DAC by the way :ner:
Bob
Bob
Echoey innit

johncaul
30-06-2012, 18:19
so I tried some side by side comparisons using a Cambridge spdif coax and a toslink from Stan Beresford (not double blind- sorry Werner! ;)). I used music types across the board and different formats varying from Linn high res downloads to ripped CDs. My view is the toslink sounds better, the dynamics are better, instruments have better definition and are placed more accurately in the sound stage. I can't help thinking coax cables allow all sorts of electronic muck from the pc into the DAC. Incidentally Stan Beresford recommended toslink for computer audio, but then again the designers at Schiit (I own a bifrost) recomend coax! I wonder if toslink has a poor reputation because the cables are much cheaper than high end coax... Anyway, this article is pretty interesting: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/toslink/toslink.html

Cheers :cool:
John

Voland
15-07-2012, 09:12
I would only use glass as the polly plastic core ones turn yellow and loose clarity in a couple of years.
Here is where I got mine before I knew Mark Grant carried them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3-ft-GLASS-TOSLINK-DIGITAL-OPTICAL-CABLE-Premium-/390377015521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae44888e1#ht_1673wt_1139

I have used the polished plastic ones SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET GLASS.
Or replace the plastic one every year or two.

+ 100! Excellent recommendation as I use same cable from my CDP to DAC.