PDA

View Full Version : The Tape Project.

Audioman
25-02-2012, 14:14
Came across this when I spotted it mentioned on the Diverse Vinyl site. The prices are very high so probably for the fanatic with deep pockets only. Subscription required to purchase at $300 a tape and you need to buy a reel to reel of course. Interesting titles being released.

http://www.tapeproject.com/

The Grand Wazoo
25-02-2012, 17:03
There's a little thread about this here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3689) Paul.

Audioman
25-02-2012, 18:19
There's a little thread about this here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3689) Paul.

Last posted 2.5 years ago ! The project appears to have only recently materialised as they are just releasing the 2nd batch of 3 tapes. So I think it may merit a fresh discussion.

WOStantonCS100
25-02-2012, 18:36
The Tape Project. Yes, for fanatics. But, I can't imagine it gets much better than that for analog folks. The home recordings I make from LP's to reel are amazing. 2nd generation reels? They must sound amazing.

Audioman
25-02-2012, 18:44
The Tape Project. Yes, for fanatics. But, I can't imagine it gets much better than that for analog folks. The home recordings I make from LP's to reel are amazing. 2nd generation reels? They must sound amazing.

I agree but $300 dollar a go needs a lot of commitment. If I owned a top quality reel to reel I would be tempted to try a favourite title if it was released. Probably be able to sell at a good profit to a collector in the not to distant future. These reels are actualy no more expensive than some recent vinyl or CD box sets.

The Grand Wazoo
25-02-2012, 18:47
I wasn't suggesting that it should need discussing Paul, merely pointing out something you & others may not be aware of.
Discuss away!

jaym481
25-02-2012, 23:12
My RtR doesn't do 15ips, though it'd be a challenge getting Treasury to approve of the cost of tapes anyway. The Tape Project requires a high level of dedication to the format, which isn't unique to those folks, but which usually manifests in high-cost playback gear rather than software.

WOStantonCS100
25-02-2012, 23:55
My RtR doesn't do 15ips, though it'd be a challenge getting Treasury to approve of the cost of tapes anyway. The Tape Project requires a high level of dedication to the format, which isn't unique to those folks, but which usually manifests in high-cost playback gear rather than software.

Can't disagree with that. Both my PR99's are low speed (7.5ips max) 1/2 track. So, I'm out of the running, already. Then there is the EQ issue. All in all, though I think the tapes are probably worth their asking price, considering what some oop, rare and uber audiophile vinyl pressings are going for these days. SWMBO, funds and my voracious music purchasing habits simply won't support going the TP way. I would if I could, though. I've heard first generation 15 & 30 ips in the studio as we tracked drums and some bass live to it, before being dumped into Pro Tools. Just awesome. To have that sound at home, I'd mess my drawers daily. It definitely lost a lot of everything by the time it got to CD. (That's just one man's ear-observations.)